The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA Rugby: Golden Lions bankrupt?

2 posters

Go down

SA Rugby: Golden Lions bankrupt? Empty SA Rugby: Golden Lions bankrupt?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 am

Article here talking about the Golden Lions (Johannesburg) Rugby Union's money woes.

Broadly they're massively in debt, and their main benefactors have pulled out as a result - they've struggled to pay player salaries at times lately
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

SA Rugby: Golden Lions bankrupt? Empty Re: SA Rugby: Golden Lions bankrupt?

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 am

Well that would never have happened if Dr Louis Luyt was still there, in the nineties the GLRU was the wealthiest franchise in SA.

Mismanagement, mismanagement blah, blah, blah
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 am

Ah Louis Luyt. A man Kiwis loved to hate, he was so effective.

Biltong, an friend of mine who hails from Joburg commented in passing that these days the Lions have to pay their players above the odds, because the players prefer to not live in Johannesburg ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Ah Louis Luyt. A man Kiwis loved to hate, he was so effective.

Biltong, an friend of mine who hails from Joburg commented in passing that these days the Lions have to pay their players above the odds, because the players prefer to not live in Johannesburg ...

Not too sure how true that is, if you look at the squad, these guys are thankful for being able to play super Rugby, and there aren't that many teams around.

Besides, outside of JHB city, there are plenty of golf estates, nature estates and eco estates where these guys live.

I would definitely agree that the stadium's location is the biggest issue.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:07 am

Fair enough. My friend's a pretty dedicated Lions fan, and he was looking for reasons for their poor form in recent times.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:18 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Fair enough. My friend's a pretty dedicated Lions fan, and he was looking for reasons for their poor form in recent times.

Well your article says it all, pathetically, unprofessional, poor management. Thier culture is gone, there is no vibe, it is in the richest province in SA, but yet also in the thick of the politics. Add to that how they do not scout for talent. If you don't play for the right clubs they have no chance of being considered.

I bet you there are probably a thousand potential professional rugby players in Gauteng that has never been assessed by GLRU scouts.

Most clubs in SA get almost no money from GLRU, to give you an example.

This comes straight from the horses mouth, this is information from a guy that was involved n managing a club in GLRU for a number of years. this is coincidentally the club I played for in the early nineties.

"In Johannesburg the GLRU pays each club manager a small “salary” varying from below R 2000 up to approximately R 7000 depending on a number of factors such as the league you compete in and the number of fields used.

Registered coaches receive a small allowance dependent on the level of qualification among other factors.

On top of this, each club will receive a “field maintenance” allowance (less than R 15 000 for the SEASON), and an Admin’ allowance (Less than R 4 000 for the Season)."

In other words the club recieves roughly 1800 euros per season.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down