The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Sussex T20

+6
jimbobgooner
Tibor
guildfordbat
Carrotdude
Gregers
MuchHappierSurreyFan
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Surrey v Sussex T20 - Page 2 Empty Surrey v Sussex T20

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 10:22

First topic message reminder :

So the big day has finally arrived, A T20 twenty game at Whitgift, the weather looks good my ticket looks as though it has been ironed and this appears to be a huge game in deciding if we will qualify or not. If we lose I cannot see us making it but win tonight and we then have a home game against bottom of the table Middlesex next up.
The ground at Whitgift is not the bggest and in last years CB40 over game 22 sixes were hit so god only knows what will happen in a T20 game. I for one have told the better half not to drive down the Brighton Road this evening as it will be raining cricket balls. Sussex are good team and on paper many neutrals will have them down to win this one but this is T20 and you never know!!!!!!

PS I believe this game is on sky tonight, for those of you watching I will be the one running across the outfield towards Schofield with steam coming from my ears. (The thought of him bowling to Prior, Nash and Wright on this ground is scary).

My Line would be

Roy
Davis
Hamilton-Brown
Maynard
De Bryun
Lancefield ( obviously this will actually be Spriegal/Wilson/Schofield)
Ansari
Arafat
Batty
Linely
Nannes

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Sussex T20 - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey v Sussex T20

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 18:52

Carrotdude wrote:Will Davies get a chance to get 100?
fingers crossed mate

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 18:54

10 needed off 5 balls to get to 200...

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 18:56

There you go jimbob, what do we know eh? Davies going to be stuck on 99* though Sad

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 18:58

203 for 2 what a innings from davies deserved a hundered clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 18:58

Gregers - some good knocks - especially by Davies - and very poor dropped catches from your boys (Wright and twice Brown) allow us to post 203. A competitive total but not a definite winning score on this tiny ground. Our bowling and fielding will need to be on the money ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 18:59

Brilliant effort from the lads, the 4 that batted all played there part, Roy set the tone with two 6's off the first over and Davies was superb throughout, so unlucky to be left on 99*! Wine Gums got lucky but made them pay with a quickfire 28, all in all I couldn't really have asked for any more.

Now to start well with the ball, we've given our bowlers a good total to defend so lets hope they do the business. Don't give it to Schofield!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:00

guildfordbat wrote:Gregers - some good knocks - especially by Davies - and very poor dropped catches from your boys (Wright and twice Brown) allow us to post 203. A competitive total but not a definite winning score on this tiny ground. Our bowling and fielding will need to be on the money ....
sure will be guildford even though we beat glamorgan in the last game we still dropped 3 catches. we must not do that tonight

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:06

Carrotdude wrote:Brilliant effort from the lads, the 4 that batted all played there part, Roy set the tone with two 6's off the first over and Davies was superb throughout, so unlucky to be left on 99*! Wine Gums got lucky but made them pay with a quickfire 28, all in all I couldn't really have asked for any more.

Now to start well with the ball, we've given our bowlers a good total to defend so lets hope they do the business. Don't give it to Schofield!
carrot if he gets the ball then rhb needs his head examined

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:28

1st wkt down Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:42

Dear god this has been awful so far. Wright has been very very good, don't understand how he looks absolutely awful every time I have seen him play except against Surrey, massively annoying. Hyphen's captaincy has been poor in my opinion as well, pace wasn't working yet he carried on with it Sad

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:44

Every bowler has gone for 10+....

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:48

Surrey are disgraceful. They allow terrible batsmen to pile on the runs.

Alviro Petersen got 200 odd in a F/C game

Napier got 190 odd

Wright got 70 odd tonight

All very ordinary players

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:49

this is making me Cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:53

Schofield turning this match

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 19:55

Masked Magician wrote:Schofield turning this match
i'm sure depressed is loving that Laugh Laugh Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:08

Still going to be a close finish here, we've clawed it back, Ansari has got a wicket now. Squeaky bum time!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:09

Masked Magician wrote:Surrey are disgraceful. They allow terrible batsmen to pile on the runs.

Alviro Petersen got 200 odd in a F/C game

Napier got 190 odd

Wright got 70 odd tonight

All very ordinary players

If this is meant to be a WUM comment it isn't a very good one, we've all said pretty much the same during this season!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:11

come on surrey you can do this

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:26

Good win by Surrey, well done to the whole team, especially Davies, Roy, RHB, Schofield and Ansari.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:36

jbd349 wrote:Good win by Surrey, well done to the whole team, especially Davies, Roy, RHB, Schofield and Ansari.
and i'm sure depressed lead schofield off the park Laugh Laugh Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:43

depressed i bet you had a right face on when schofield got given the ball Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 20:47

strange that batty did not bowl and as depressed said earlier this is not the format for tremlett

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 21:02

Evening all - match already over by the time I came in from patrol. Look forward to Depressed's report! Interesting to see any view on captaincy - does Hyphen get bad marks for letting Sussex race away - or plus marks for bringing it round....? Tremlett I don't think it cut out for T20 or perhaps even CB40 unless the pitch is lively....

Excellent to see Davies and Hyphen regaining some form. Bowlers did well to pull the game round after Sussex had cut loose. Yet another match in which Ansari more economical than most of his colleagues. Schofield - what can one say?! Maybe I will need to revise the unflattering limerick....

T20 clearly a bit of a lottery - last time the Brain bowled one over that was practically a maiden. Here he bowled one over for 15....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 21:16

huge score, well played steve davies

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 21:35

Right, views from a Sussex fan coming up...

Surrey were the better side imo, the batting and bowling wad very close between us and you but catches, as always, win matches. Had Lukey caught maynard then wed probably have restricted you a bit. But that's how things go. Davies was awesome, why isn't he in the England side?

Wright was brilliant as well, his innings was a joy to watch. Browns knock was good as well, so was, as much as it hurts to say so, Rorys. My man of the match was your young spinner, not afraid to toss it up and stuck to his guns. Tremlett wad awful tho, truly dire imo. Don't know why Nash went in after parnell or what the matter with Vincent was...

With Essex winning the south group once again shows why its the best and why southern teams are better at t20 than northern ones.

Finally, the ground was incredibly small but proved to be great entertainment. Well done to the groundstaff and caterors of that school.

Well done Surrey, now for the all southern finals day...

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 21:50

Gregers wrote: My man of the match was your young spinner, not afraid to toss it up and stuck to his guns.

Presumably Ansari rather than the not quite so youthful Schofield..... Smile Thanks for the report Gregors....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 22:09

Before my thoughts on the game I want say what a ground Whitgift is, it may just be my favourite cricket ground. Possible the best looking pavilion in cricket, great ground we should play here more often.

Well as said before Roy set the scene with a big six off the first ball of the innings, in terms of our batting there is not alot all four batsman could have done differently they all batted well, Davis was exceptional and we set a very good total. Though even at the half way stage I thought it would still be close.

The only faults were with the bowler picks from Hypen, at the ground we were crying out for a change of pace, on a small ground like that any bat on ball off a fast bowler is going to the boundry and Hyphen seemed to struggle to work this out.

After the power play the game looked like it was going away from us but luckily the ball was tossed to Schofield as I had been calling for all night
Ok! and he turned the innings around. For those wondering my friends and I did give him a standing ovation (slighty tongue in cheek obviously)

On that pitch the only way you are going to stop the flow of runs is by taking wickets, so as mentioned the dropped catches by Sussex hurt them, much to the merriment of the crowd.

Hopefully this gives our top four a bit of confidence.

Tremlett does not suit T20 cricket any pace bowler who naturally bangs the ball in short of a length is going to go for alot of runs. Meaker who is similar in this way appeared to be coming off a shorter run up and trying to pitch the ball right up (not always succeeding) but its a good start.

Ansari, this kids looks a talent... at one stage my mates said if the next over go's for less than ten we are well on top, well Ansari went for 7 off the first two balls and still kept it under ten.

Man of the match my hero Chris Schofield clap

Two much needed points, a few beers in the sun at a great ground what a good evening. A win thursday night against Middlesex and we will be looking good to qualify imo Oh plus I got Mark Butchers autograph

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 22:13

Gregers wrote:Right, views from a Sussex fan coming up...

Surrey were the better side imo, the batting and bowling wad very close between us and you but catches, as always, win matches. Had Lukey caught maynard then wed probably have restricted you a bit. But that's how things go. Davies was awesome, why isn't he in the England side?

Wright was brilliant as well, his innings was a joy to watch. Browns knock was good as well, so was, as much as it hurts to say so, Rorys. My man of the match was your young spinner, not afraid to toss it up and stuck to his guns. Tremlett wad awful tho, truly dire imo. Don't know why Nash went in after parnell or what the matter with Vincent was...

With Essex winning the south group once again shows why its the best and why southern teams are better at t20 than northern ones.

Finally, the ground was incredibly small but proved to be great entertainment. Well done to the groundstaff and caterors of that school.

Well done Surrey, now for the all southern finals day...

Thanks Gregers, I'd agree with most of that. Wright's innings was superb and really frustrates me that he hasn't ever been able to show that kind of hitting in an England shirt, most of the sixes he hit would have been 6 on any ground. Tremlett was poor, as has been said he is only useful in one-dayers on helpful pitches, otherwise his natural length makes him an easy target especially on a small ground! Ansari was very impressive as you say, he is a definite prospect, he also managed to get some noticeable turn which was good to see. It has to be said that despite our reservations that Schofield turned the game for us with his wickets so well done to him for that. Other honorable mention should go to Meaker whose last 2 overs were very good, full, straight and fast yorkers that were difficult to get away. It was a very good, and very close match and shows, as you say, how competitive this group is. Looks like 3 places up for grabs and 5 teams fighting for them. Surrey are in a good position in terms of run rate and a game in hand on 2 of the teams but anything could happen as we well know!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotnobeersnake Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 22:14

A good win for Surrey. Nice to see Davies in particular do so well - a pity he was stranded on 99! In the end the fielding made the difference. Bet three years ago nobody thought they'd be saying that, when most of the team looked as if they couldn't have caught a cold! Ansari continues to back up his previous fine efforts each time he's asked to. Schoey was vital, coming on when he did and taking those two wickets to slow down the rapid Sussex progress. Meaker as well bowled extremely well and contained and restricted Sussex in a way I hadn't anticipated.

A very gutsy and deserved victory! Smile

Wotnobeersnake

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 22:23

Thanks for the report depressed, glad you had a good time, Whitgift really looks like a nice ground, must try and get down there sometime!

One thing, why on earth Murray Goodwin thought it was a good idea to promote Parnell because he's left handed I'll never know. Nash could have won it for them had he come in before him. Mental.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 4 Jul 2011 - 23:55

I agree with nearly all the comments above and fully acknowledge that I just about called everything wrong before and during the game - Schofield or Brain to open the batting, the importance od Schofield not bowling and 203 probably not being a winning total! Doh

Anyway, a good win which keeps us in the mix.

Gregers - thanks for the report from a Sussex perspective. I do think Lou Vincent's knock helped to let the game slip away from you - we had a similar issue with the Brain the other week. As well, we out fielded and certainly out caught you. As attention is so often focused on his scintillating batting, people tend to overlook what a superb fielder Le Roi king is.

Depressed - thanks for your report from Whitgift. I'm obviously biased but I too love the small county grounds. Such a wonderful atmosphere. By the way, I understand Mark Butcher is going around telling anyone who will listen that he met DepressedSurreyFan .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 16:28

guildford - I forgot to mention Roy's fielding, his catch to get Brown on the boundary was one of the best I've ever seen I think, running around the boundary edge at a pretty decent rate catching over his shoulder hands outstretched over the boundary rope with his feet about an inch inside. Superb!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2