The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to

+58
offload
Just a runner
Soreshins
calamity jane
english_osprey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Notch
Gibson
Josiah Maiestas
disneychilly
pete (buachaill on eirne)
braveheart101
dynamark
haystongolfer
mckay1402
MunsterMac
puligny
littleswannygirl
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
PenfroPete
ScarletSpiderman
GG
bogbrush
Portnoy
PerryGee
digitalshade
George Hotel1895
Davie
Sugar Boy Sweetie
The Galveston Giant
damngoodOvalball
BlueCoverman
Doc
Doon the Water
Hartley
CFCNick
followfollow1972
Looseheaded
RubyGuby
ADMIN
Eyetoldyouso
Mat
Grizzly
sirfredperry
Thomond
bedfordwelsh
JAS
kwinigolfer
CJB
Breadvan
baboo800
legendkillar
beninho
Pal Joey
nick_fury
Cari
red_stag
dummy_half
62 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to Empty Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to

Post by dummy_half Tue 05 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

Hi guys

I was wondering what the most memorable sporting event or occasion you've been to.

Mine:
Location - Wembley Stadium
Date - 22 October 1994
Match - Great Britain v Australia, Rugby League International.
Result - Great Britain 8 Australia 4

The first test of a three test series against an Australian team being promoted as amongst the best ever touring squads (heck, any team with Maninga and Renoff at centre was going to be good) - turned out to be fairly accurate, given that the Aussies gave us a good hiding in the 2nd and 3rd tests. This though turned out to be a classic performance of unrelenting intensity and determination by the underdog Great Britain side.

From my recollection, after a cagey first 10-15 minutes, disaster struck for GB with Sean Edwards (rightly) sent off for a head high tackle on one of the Aussie 2nd rowers (who was apparently sent for a brain scan after the match - rumours are the result was negative). This happened about 15m from where I was, with GB pinned back in a defensive position - can't remember how the Aussies didn't score, maybe a missed penalty attempt?. However, this was the key incident in the game, prompting the GB forwards, with Karl Harrison and Lee Jackson very much to the fore, putting in one of the greatest defensive performances ever seen on a rugby field.

Having been under pressure for most of the first half, I think GB were 2-0 up from one penalty goal. Then GB had possession deep in their territory in the middleof the field. The ball was passed to Offiah on the left wing, who skinned his marker and made good ground just into the Aussie half. A quick play the ball, the ball moving right and Jonathan Davies dummied to go between the Aussie 13 (Fittler?) and Renoff, before an arcing run to score in the right corner (about as far from me in the stadium as possible).

The Aussies pulled 4 points back with a try in the 2nd half through Renoff, GB scoring with another penalty, but the immense GB defence kept them out for the rest of the match for an epic and totally unexpected victory.

What made it such a great occasion? Unmatched intensity, one of the greatest tries ever and an absolute shock result, especially for a side that was down to 12 men for most of the match

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to Empty Re: Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to

Post by red_stag Tue 05 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

Munster v Gloucester Miracle Match 2003 is up there for me. The big victory against the odds.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to Empty Re: Most memorable sporting occasion you've been to

Post by Cari Tue 05 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

So far it's the Heineken Cup Final 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff - Leinster v Northampton Saints for me. A superb match and a great atmosphere.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by nick_fury Tue 05 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Manchester United vs Livepool FA Cup Final 1996

Cantona

nick_fury

Location : More West Coast than Viva & even further West Coast than Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 05 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

Bledisloe Cup 2000 - ...that match!

The atmosphere was like nothing I've ever experienced before. From shock/embarrassment, to hope, to "OMG!", to "I can't believe this...", to eventually "Oh well, Jonah deserved to win it for them"

That Match

The Lions win at the same venue, along with the 28-7 AB beating and a couple of SA victories were more satisfying - but that above BC match was definitely the most memorable.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Wycombe Wanderers Vs Liverpool, FA Cup semi final at Villa Park, we (wwfc) lost. But it was memorable just getting there for such a massive game.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

Linebreaker
Great call - I hadn't seen that match before. 24-0 down in 8 minutes to leading with a couple of minutes to go before finally succumbing to a Lomu try. Must have been the definition of an emotional roller coaster.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

Wembley - 1993 - England v Holland WCQ

Was gutting to see England draw and that Koeman Free Kick was stunning to see. It was a great game. Finished 2-2 and pretty much spelled the end for Taylor.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

World cup final 2010/ Ryder cup 2008/2010

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Two from me..

For just the sheer experiance of it all was the Montevideo,Urugauy derby back in 1999. Penerol V Nacional for the title. Packed stadium, the atmosphere and noise were incredible. When Nacional won, the Penerol fans set fire to their scarfs and flags so one end was covered in hundreds of fires. Unbelievable.

Being at Wembley to see Swansea clinch promotion to the Premier league in the play off final after nearly going out of the league in 2003.40,000 Swans fans watching a rollercoaster game. Elation after being 3-0 up at HT and the head in hands 15 mins when Reading hit the post after making it 3-2. Superb scenes at the final whistle amongst the crowd.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

Tyson Gay running 9.79 at crystal palace last year on a soaked track was pretty special.

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:54 pm

1st: 1987 Ryder Cup at Muirfield Village. First time that Europe (or GB&I) had won in the United States.

1st almost equal: 1995 Ryder Cup at Oak Hill. Was infinitessimally responsible for the staging of the RC at Oak Hill, enjoyed Europe beating the US. Again!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

dummy_half wrote:Linebreaker
Great call - I hadn't seen that match before. 24-0 down in 8 minutes to leading with a couple of minutes to go before finally succumbing to a Lomu try. Must have been the definition of an emotional roller coaster.

Sure was, dummy_half.

It was also the biggest crowd for a rugby match (nearly 110,000) but believe me - you could hear a pin drop after 8 mins and 24 points down! Stunned was the word. The comeback to halftime was surreal too. It all happened so quickly.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 05 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

Close call but being just a few yards off the 16th when McDowell sunk that putt and the mass stampede for a view of the 17th is a memory that will never fade, coupled with the 1st Tee banter made for a very memorable day.

A close runner up would be the 2009 Open. Went to the whole week and I'll never forget an old fella on one of the practice days stood just off the 8th fairway watching Watson hit shots into the green... "ye know, he's hitting the ba so sweet, complete control of his game, he's gonnae be up there come Sunday night" I gave the old boy a quizzical look and he said "you mark my words sonny, that swing can still win the open roond here" I still sometimes wonder what price I'd have got each way if I'd listened to the old chap.

Away from golf and for all the wrong reasons the 1980 Scottish Cup Final is another occasion I'll never forget.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 05 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

My first International at the old Arms Park will stick with me as a 7yr old Icouldn't get over the noise and my dad always use to say how hard I squeezed his hand when they singing started.

Similar as well was when I then took my lad to his first full International at the MS and he couldn't believe the difference between a full WC game and a friendly with 30,000 less fans in.

As an adult for me is has to be 08 Slam at Twickenham mainly because all my adult life I had gone there and we lost so to come away from there as a winner was truly memorable.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 05 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

Great thread,dummy half.

Mine would be
Cork City V Derry City 18th November 2005. Cork had to win to be crowned league champions. The atmosphere ws electric and the game was brilliant. It was probably better as it was the last night of the "Shed" a terrace for hardcore fans. That Cork team were brilliant though. Kevin Doyle and Shane Long were on it as well as numerous other players who have either been capped by Ireland or played in England.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 05 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

When the whole country went crazy trying to get a ticket to the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley, my uncle managed to get four. My dad and my aunt sat together in one of the stands, my brother stood behind one goal and I was behind the goal at the other ( the was-it-over-the-line?) end.
Got there about 1pm and dismayed to hear that Jimmy Greaves was not playing. Needn't have worried, though. Pretty awful moment when Haller put the Germans ahead but England were only behind for a few minutes and never trailed again.
The worst part of the last-minute equaliser was the tremendous pessimism around the crowd when the free kick was awarded. Jackie Charlton was harshly penalised and we all had this awful feeling the Germans were going to score.
Main memory of extra time was our yelling at Bobby Moore to just hoof it anywhere in the final seconds as we knew time was almost up. But no, he was still trying to play football and sent Hurst away for the fourth goal.
Incredible atmosphere. One of the the few games I've been to when my ears were ringing after coming out of the stadium. Took many, many days for the result to sink in.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Great thread, tough to narrow down to one event.

Being at The Oval for the Stuard Broad spell that won us the Ashes in 2009.
Being in Adelaide in 1995 for one of the best test matches ever played.
The 1995 Cup Winners Cup final (Arsenal v Parma) not a great game but a memorable 3 days in Copenhagen.
My first NFL game in Kansas City in 2002.
Last Open at Sandwich when 750-1 shot Ben Curtis won
Ian Bothams 8 fer against West Indies at Lords in 1984 (then England declaring and WI winning by 9 wickets)

But I think it has to be any number of memorable Cheltenham Festival historic moments, Istabraqs 3rd Champion Hurdle, Inglis Drevers 3rd Stayers Hurdle, Big Bucks 3rd Stayers Hurdle or Desert Orchids Gold Cup in 1989

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

Most memorable for me is this year,beating Villa 2-1 after being a goal down,getting back to 1-1 only for Scharner to get sent off straight afterwards.Withstand a barrage of pressure and then counter attack,with Mulumbu scoring the winner in the 85th minute in the game that kept us up,and first time we beat villa for 20 odd years!

Quality!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

15 April 1970, one of 136,000 in Hampden Park watching the Bhoys giving the English Champions, the unbeatable (sic) Leeds United, their second beating in a fortnight.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

England v Greece WC qualifier at Old Trafford when Beckham scored that freekick.
Won tickets for it and had a slap up meal beforehand and free champagne flowed for many hours afterwards.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

I was at the Arms Park as a 10 year old in 1973 for the Baa Baas v N Zealand match - I remember that first try well as the ball past us on the half way line - what a score and what a roar. Wasn't aware of course that history was being made then.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

Haven't actually been to many huge rugby games due to financial and age restrictions, however, I did attend the last ever game at Wembley, England vs Germany. That was a wonderful day.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by followfollow1972 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Scotland 1-0 France

Oh what a night at Hampden, especially as they are few and far between supporting Scotland

followfollow1972

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:51 pm

The biggest game I've been to was Chelsea vs Blackburn FA Cup semi final at OT in 2007. Three rows back, half way between the Chelsea bench and the tunnel, all the Chelsea fans were in the Stretford End half of the stadium and I was on the sideline. Got to meet Joe Cole, Kalou, Petr Cech and Martin Tyler pre game.

And I had the perfect view of Ballack when he scored the winner in extra time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGoQL_QJlM

Last edited by Manning-to-Manningham on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hartley Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

Well being from Belfast I have seen historic political events and being a sports fan I have seen great sporting occassions but the Ireland v England rugby international at Croke Park, the scene of the original Bloody Sunday, in 2007 seemed to combine both.

The sporting occassion was right up there and the historic feel around the match reminded me of the mood of the crowd for the Bill Clinton Belfast visit in winter 1995. It was powerful stuff.

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

1959 Walker Cup at Muirfield.
Probably the most talented amateur golfers ever to contest this historic event.

Runner Up
Scotland vs Springboks at Murrayfield 1961/2?
That 'boks team were probably the best ever rugby side.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

I've been to quite a few top sporting events, usually as a guest of some supplier and always go first class. I'm a lucky guy I suppose, but 2 spring to mind:

1) Las vegas to see Ricky Hatton get outclassed a couple of years ago. The trip was awesome and flying first class and staying at the Bellagio was a bit special.

2) And probably even better than Vegas, was the trip to Turkey to watch Liverpool come back with all those goals to beat Milan. We stayed in the same hotel as all the sports journo's from Sky/BBC and the press, as well as having a couple of beers with Maradona. Whilst the Liverpool fans were spending hours trying to find their way up into the mountains to get to the Ali Sami stadium, our party sailed down the Bosphurus on a yacht and were limo'd to the ground and staright into Champions Village with all the players, royalty, foriegn dignitaries and that Muppet Blatter, who had a bigger enteurage than anyone else. I had a beer with plenty of top prem players and some great food. Had great seats in the stadium and watched dumbfounded at halftime as thousands of Liverpool fans left the ground after being well outclassed. They decided that another 4-hours sat in traffic was a joke, and as they had no chance of winning, decided to hike over the hills. All you could see were disgruntled scousers treking through fields. The result was unbelievable and felt sorry for the scousers who left early. What a night, what a trip and what a hangover

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 05 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

18-30's holiday a few years ago in Corfu...watching the girlies topless mud wrestling competition was a sporting occasion not to be missed!...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 05 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

Doc,what do you do and how can I get a job there?!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue 05 Jul 2011, 6:41 pm

England v Oz in Marseille in the 2007 rugby world cup was pretty extraordinary given how we had been playing up until then, and combined with the AB France result later on that day. And the weather was lush as well.

First day of the boxing day Ashes Test 2010 was EPIC!

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 05 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

Probably be Alex Arthur vs Michael Gomez in Edinburgh 2003, don't think i'll ever be in the middle of that kind of atmosphere again, not be outdone by the fans, the fight was awarded fight of the year by the BBBofC.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

I was at wembley in euro 96 when England stuffed holland 4-1, was only 15 at the time but won't forget it. In recent years it was the carling cup final a few years ago between spurs and chelsea, as a success starved spurs fan it was pretty magic when woodgate knocked it in and we managed to hold on. Seen O'Sullivan play at the crucible a couple of times which is always good. Biggest boxing match I've been to was hatton v lazcano in '08, good atmosphere but mediocre fight.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

Bluecoverman wins so far

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

For me it has to be Australia v Great Britain November 2006 in Sydney in the Tri Nations. My wife and i were visiting family there, and us male members of the family decided to go along to watch the test match, but didn't hold out much hope for a Lions victory, but with the whole team outstanding we ran out comfortable winners 23-12.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

Mine would have to be Blues v Leicester Heineken Cup semi-final 2009. I've never seen a rugby game with so much tension in it. With 6 minutes to go I'd pretty much resigned myself to losing. Two quickfire tries and Blair's touchline conversion to level the scores, followed by a tense extra-time period. I was a bag of nerves all the way through the penalty kicks. Completely gutted when we lost but amazing to be there and experience it.

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

Digital - that game was amazing to watch on TV too. Horrible ending for the Blues mind.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

Cari - it was heartbreaking. I don't think I'll ever see another game like in my life.

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryGee Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:02 am

Hoping it's going to be the Super XV final in Brisbane this weekend. Two very worthy teams, each with an emotional story to tell. Secured tickets this morning for 22 quid. Unbeatable

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:53 am

1982. Twickenham. Erica Roe.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:35 am

Liverpool 3 Olympiakos 1.

Down 1-0 at half time, needing to win by 2, 1-1- going into the last 15 minutes and finally Steven Gerrard smacks the ball into the corner. I shout myself hoarse and get home to learn that Andy Gray, of all people, had given it the "you beauty!!!!".
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:33 am

Swansea 4- 2 Reading playoff final '11

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:42 am

Cheers Davie thumbsup

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

Scarlets V Bristol - Last match at stradey park, and not wanting to leave the pitch to go home
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

Portnoy wrote:1982. Twickenham. Erica Roe.

Now that was memorable...! Yahoo

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Linebreaker

Given the quality of the England rugby team during most of the 80s, you needed one or two distractions to take your mind off the dross you were watching on the field. Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:24 am

RUGBY
1st International - Wales 28 Australia 3. National Stadium 1975 (32 - 3 under current scoring)
Grand Slam 2008 - Nugget & 'ickle Shane scoring in front of us
HEC Final 2011 - music "The Saints are Coming" music They came too early Wink

GOLF
THE Open 1977, Turnberry - Duel in the Sun. Followed Watson & Nicklaus for all 18 holes of the 3rd round. Both shoot 65 !! 8)
2010 Ryder Cup, Celtic Manor - Yahoo

Last edited by PenfroPete on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

Can I be greedy and have 3?:

Location - Memorial Groung, Bristol
Date - May 2010
Match - Bristol vs Exeter Chiefs, 2nd leg of play-off, RFU Championship final.
Result - Bristol 10 - 29 Exe, agg 16 - 38

Location - Murrayfield
Date - March 1990
Match - Scotland vs England, Five Nations Grand Slam decider
Result - Scotland 13 - 7 England

Location - Hong Kong Stadium
Date - March 2008
Match - HK 7s
Result - Can't remember, far too drunk, but had the best time

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:11 am

3 for me as well please!

Twickenham
May 2006
Premiership Final Sale 45 Leicester 20
The result I'd hoped for but really didn't expect

Hong Kong Stadium
March 2009
HK 7s the final was a cracker Fiji 26 South Africa 24
Agree with As, just the most amazing time

Millennium Stadium
HC Final 2011
A fantastic weekend
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:17 am

United vs Bayern Munich in Barcelona 1999. You had to be there - but judging from the number of calls I got travelling back from non United supporters, maybe not!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next