The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooper named Bath Captain

5 posters

Go down

Hooper named Bath Captain Empty Hooper named Bath Captain

Post by bathmad Tue 05 Jul 2011, 12:31 pm

Odd choice? With all players available, I was expecting Attwood and the chap from Ulster (Caldwell is it?) to be starting ahead of him. Can't fault his work ethic and commitment, but surely the captain should be (to coin a phrase) "the first name on the team sheet"? I though Banahan led the team well on occasions in the LV last year...

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Hooper named Bath Captain Empty Re: Hooper named Bath Captain

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

I guess McGeechan is going for a guy who'll be there for the whole season (i.e. during the WC), and clearly he sees him as above Caldwell in the pecking order (which I'd agree with).

I'd have thought Hooper and Attwood would be your starting locks, and the back row is too much of a battle ground at the Rec next season to know who'll start, so hard to pick a captain there.

It did strike me as an odd choice, but the more I think about it, it makes some sense.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Tue 05 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

Re Attwood & Caldwell, it would be a bit unusual to have a new boy as captain.

I'd normally go for a forward as captain, but given he's been there for 4 years, his experience, his first choice status, that he's just signed for another 2 years and he's been captain before, I would have been tempted by Claassens.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Bath seem a bit light on second row cover next season (Seems strange when they have just brought two new ones in). You've in effect been left with three working locks. Is there any more news on Scott Hobson? It is desperately sad, what has happened to him.

Is Will Spencer ready to step up for a few first team games? I've seen him down at the Rec a few times when Bath United have been playing, doesn't seem to lack the physical size.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

I think really there werent that many other options. Claassens didnt enjoy the pressure of being a captain, Moody will probably be away with WC duty, as will Banahan who might well be the future captain.

I think Hooper and Attwood will be the 1st choice second row pairing, although I will admit that Hooper isnt neccessarily the best in the league.
We are a bit light on other cover though, Hobson wont play this season I've heard, horrible injury. I presume Beattie was re-signed as second row cover, plus Skirving and Taylor can cover there.

Cumbrian, I've heard good things about Spencer too, hopefully he will get some time in the LV this season.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down