The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James DeGale to fight for European belt.

+15
Colonial Lion
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
The Galveston Giant
tunes666
eddyfightfan
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
Jimmythebullet
Young_Towzer
ThrowingLeather
Knowsit17
Day V Lately
captain carrantuohil
JDizzle
19 posters

Go down

James DeGale to fight for European belt. Empty James DeGale to fight for European belt.

Post by JDizzle Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

James DeGale is set to fight Piotr Wilczewski for the European Super-Middleweight belt in September.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14046382.stm

Really? Surely this has to be too soon after the GG loss? I would have thought he would have had a few domestic fights before stepping up to Euro level. Anyway, how do you see this one panning out?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

James DeGale to fight for European belt. Empty Re: James DeGale to fight for European belt.

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

Someone's looking for a shortcut to a re-match, I would suggest. I wonder about the wisdom of this; if the Groves-DeGale fight showed us anything, it was that both men, promising as they are, have a good deal to learn.

Now, I haven't seen Wilczewski fight, but would assume that he's a durable and well-schooled type to have got as far as he has. This therefore represents a considerable gamble for DeGale - if he loses, he sets himself back possibly as much as two years. If he wins, he has a credible belt and he is therefore forced to mix in world class company, for which I'm not convinced that he is yet ready.

I wouldn't want to take too short a price on Degale if this fight comes off, let me put it that way. I can't help thinking that someone's trying to run before he can walk.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

James DeGale to fight for European belt. Empty Re: James DeGale to fight for European belt.

Post by Day V Lately Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

After losing such a grudge match, he's obviously desperate to get back in there. I know little other than what boxrec can tell us about his opponent, but still have very high hopes for Degale.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:28 pm

Great comeback fight, fair play to Degale. Despite his last fight he has so far shown little hesitation in fighting some high names within the division.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

Classic Frank Warren tactics... If Degale wins he's back in the mix and can pressure for a Groves rematch.

However, if he loses his career would be shot... he'd have to start a business with Audley selling drawing boards.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:49 pm

He'd destroy anyone in europe who he has to face apart from Groves for this EBU title, but he won't be fighting for it on a defeat, EBU rules.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

Surely groves should be fighting this guy as he's got the lonsdale.

How is degale EBU mandatory?

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:16 pm

i think he's trying to erase the Groves loss as soon as possible with a big fight..

Disagree with the Captain as I think even Warren/Degale realise Groves won't be knocking at their door again..

Think Degale wins a rematch and Booth isn't stupid enough to risk Groves just yet without cashing in first.

why should he anyway..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

Think of more relevance is the fact that Wilczewski is apparently ranked number three with the WBO, which probably gives you a better idea of Frank's long term plans for Degale. Pity because despite the Groves loss he has the ability to be better than just another Warren WBO champion.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

Really think he needs a top WBO fighter to get to mandatory contender..

Rowley you disappoint me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:25 pm

You're right Truss the idea a Warren fighter would need to beat a ranked opponent to get a WBO shot, what was I thinking

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:28 pm

Not sure that DeGale is "a certainty" to beat anyone bar Groves for the European title. Considering that there are decent fighters like Magee, Sanavia and Kashtanov, among others, in the rankings, think that DeGale would have to work quite hard. Abraham, interestingly, is the number one contender at the weight, while Groves, mystifyingly is ranked at 12, to deGale's sixth. Very peculiar.

On a side-note, Towzer, I can't help noticing how often you predict that Fighter A will "destroy" Fighter B or C in any upcoming battle, and indeed, how often destruction isn't forthcoming in these battles. The last time such carnage was predicted was, I seem to recall, before DeGale-Groves, although that is by no means the only example. I know that you're a bit younger than some of us, but has experience not yet taught you that there are more shades to life than black and white, even in a boxing ring? Just curious, you understand, but sometimes there is such a thing as two evenly matched fighters. It's not an offence to confess to being uncertain about an outcome...

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:06 pm

just checked the guy out on you tube, because i'd never heard of him- he seems a decent fighter, but by no means unbeatable. he does have a good punch and doesnt mind a tear up, if degale comes to fight with the same effort of the groves fight he'll be on the canvas, but im expecting degale be 100% this time round (english hope never dies). i think degales rushing back into this because he wants to regain a little pride, hopefully it won't backfire.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

I dont think lack of effort was the problem eddy, an if this fella is a come forward type of fighter that will suit Degale far more. Agree with you about his pride, I think he'd fight right now to try an erase that defeat.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:56 pm

Jimmythebullet wrote:Surely groves should be fighting this guy as he's got the lonsdale.

Maybe Groves did not take the fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:59 pm

I think its a brave but smart move.. If Degale wins then he could be a fight or two away from a world title... and could also call our Groves and pressure him into a rematch which I think he would win this time.

If he looses then he wont be totally out of the picture, but will need the re start..

Good that he has not lost confidence. Just hope he has learned not to be such a plank.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

James DeGale to fight for European belt. Empty DeGale to fight for European belt

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

James Degale has been lined up for a shot a the European title for his comeback against Polish champion Piotr Wilczewski. Credit to Degale, that's the only way he can put that defeat behind, by getting on with his own career.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14046382.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

Sorry, this has been done already.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

No problem Galvy, I will merge them. Thanks.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

alma wrote:
tunes666 wrote:
Jimmythebullet wrote:Surely groves should be fighting this guy as he's got the lonsdale.

Maybe Groves did not take the fight.

Boxingscene indicates this is a voluntary defence and that the wheels were set in motion by Warren before the Groves fight

Sounds like Fwank had a backup plan to get Degale a rematch before he had even lost. Glad he shows such confidence in his fighters.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

To echo what others are aying, this represents a big a gambe for DeGale. A loss and we could potentially be seeing the next Audley Harrison in the making.

I dont know much about the European champ, to be honest. But have to assume at a bare minimum hes better than everyone DeGale has faced so far besides (perhaps) Groves.

Because of the rivalry between DeGale and Groves and the fact they are in the same division I imagine there will be something of a race and DeGale will want a rematch as soon as possible. This represents a gamble to that outcome.

Myself, I would still have mached him into the European division more gradually though and rebuilt his confidence and let him development. From what I have seen of DeGale so far he is still quite immature and could do with the mental and physical development fighters need.

In this particular case, I think the risk outweighs the reward. DeGale doesnt have a massive amount to lose by just waiting anothr 12 months or so and having 3/4 fights. But lose this and his career (and confidence) may be damaged beyond repair. Just not worth it for the sake of waiting a while longer and getting much needed developing under his belt.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by peakbay Fri 08 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

i thought that you couldn't fight for the euro if u were coming off a loss butt i guess that if ya got the money it doesn't matter that's boxing for ya

peakbay

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

peakbay wrote:i thought that you couldn't fight for the euro if u were coming off a loss butt i guess that if ya got the money it doesn't matter that's boxing for ya

Yeah money talks Peakbay
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

Surely Groves shoud have been pushed faster? Fought better opposition and beaten Degale? :S
Makes no sense but Degale will win this, seen this guy he's a bit basic but tough, comes forward a lot he'll play into Degales hands and maybe stopped later on or mid rounds.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:19 pm

I've been wrong with JD before, but he should win fairly comfortably IMO. He doesn't need 'confidence rebuilding' he needs more challenges and bigger tests, as they will improve him far quicker than knocking out a couple of average domestic fighters.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

He's got enough confidence for a medium-sized country, TechInept! No, that's not what needs rebuilding, but he still has plenty to learn about the pace at which he fights, what to do when Plan A isn't quite working and various refinements of his technique. That doesn't mean that he needs to be fighting tomato cans, but it would help if he were to fight some respected divisional names without the extra pressure of title fights or intense media scrutiny.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

Not Warren's way though is it Captain......

Idea is to get him to World level without risk...Groves was an unusual miscalculation..

Not sure under Warren he learns too much..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

I fear that you're right, Truss. I have to say that Warren really wastes the great influence that he has on the international stage. Time was, and not so long ago, that competitive fights without any belts at stake were the way forward for a boxer with aspirations of world titles. Times change, and one can only hope that DeGale will be able to learn his trade while accumulating belts.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

I think Haye losing to Wlad so conclusively could help Degale in any future fight with Groves, now knows that there gameplans aren't as good as they make out and like him talk a better fight than they fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 09 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

I agree about needing to improve his versatility and adaptability, not sure there will be too much extra pressure on him in this fight (it can't be ppv can it!?!). I'm hoping he wins this, and defends 4-5 times that should give him a decent chance to develop before going for the rematch and/or a world title.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down