The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those who grace the court and hold a racquet

+12
socal1976
lydian
time please
Solerina
noleisthebest
JuliusHMarx
Tenez
Chazfazzer
Gonzini
bogbrush
Josiah Maiestas
legendkillar
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

For those who grace the court and hold a racquet Empty For those who grace the court and hold a racquet

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Reading a lot on the threads and rules and habits seem to be the talk and as this forum is full of genuine tennis fans (I would say at least 90% of the time) as an amateur what annoys you and if you were pro what would annoy you?

Things that annoy me as an amateur:

The lack of maintanence of courts
Being at the mercy of mother nature
The 'Wimbledon' brigade that flood the courts with their jeans and total poor display of tennis
Losing balls when the opponent shanks one over the fence

Things that would annoy me as a Pro

People calling out in between points and during serve saying stupid things
Constant travelling
The press
Grunting

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

For those who grace the court and hold a racquet Empty Re: For those who grace the court and hold a racquet

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 pm

I never get annoyed as I believe in Karma

8)
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

For those who grace the court and hold a racquet Empty Re: For those who grace the court and hold a racquet

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16 pm

As an amateur what always annoyed me was the club rules that prioritsed use of courts by Mixed > Doubles > Singles. This meant that as me and my mate were battling out the latest re-enactment of Lendl v McEnroe, two middle aged matrons would trill to us "set of doubles, gents?!" and we'd either have to comply or (more likely) not but get told off by the club captain.

The trouble with playing the set of mixed is that you'd spend the whole time coping with huge moon-ball returns off your serve and being forced to "go easy", and the damage done to your technique in one set would render you rubbish once they'd trotted off.

EDIT: What the Hell is it with this automatic edit where typing "moon-ball" without the hyphen results in heavy looped topspin shot? Look, there it goes again!!!! Moon-ball (without the hyphen) is a legitimate term that does NOT mean heavy looped topspin shot.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonzini Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Having never been able to afford membership to a club my gripe has always been the lack of indoor courts in my county for winter play. I think there are two places in the entire county that are open to the public, so they get booked up quickly.

And like LK says, I hate seeing all the run down delapidated outdoor free to play courts, it's discouraging for new people trying to get into the game to see a court in shoddy condition and in some places here the nets even get nicked!

Gonzini

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm

The best practise I ever used to do was find a wall somewhere and play against it for hours. What a workout! You get half the recovery time per shot and it's like playing Novak Djokovic, but without the ball-bouncing.

One of my irritations was that there wan't one at my club and I used to have to bunk into school to do it and get chased off now and then.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:24 pm

I graced Her Majesty's Crown Court once, does that count?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm

They wouldn't let me bring a racquet in though Crying or Very sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Nice list legendkillar! I agree with all of those points you made, esp the weather one at the moment; I'm supposed to be playing at half 2 today, but I'm willing to bet that the grey clouds will soon descend over Regent's Park and empty their deluge as per normal. It'll probably happen at 2:45; just to annoy as further by making it seem like we might escape the rain for once. If by some miracle we don't get drenched, we'll probably get booted off the courts by a couple of terrible middle-aged players who can actually afford to pay the ridiculous court prices! I guess I'm in a pessimistic kind of mood today...

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 pm

I have to agree with the condition of outdoor courts.

I usually play on courts at a red brick university.

They're absolutely awful; cracked with holes. The bounce is so unpredictable; it's like facing leg breakers and off spinners!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm

bogbrush wrote:EDIT: What the Hell is it with this automatic edit where typing "moon-ball" without the hyphen results in heavy looped topspin shot? Look, there it goes again!!!! Moon-ball (without the hyphen) is a legitimate term that does NOT mean heavy looped topspin shot.

I agree this is close to absurd! A tennis forum for the fragile and sensitive rafalitos!

Does shank or shanking pass the test?

It does! ....clearly a Rafafans request then with the Fedfans clearly more relax about things.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Yep, gotta agree, moon-ball is part of the tennis jargon. It's a unique shot that has no other singular description.

Can we please alter this LK?

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

As an amateur - Rain coming after you've started a match, especially since I wear glasses. But once you've started, you carry on and get soaked, following the trajectory of the ball by the comet-like trail of water flying off it.
And the permanent bruise under my left little toe-nail (at least I hope that's due to tennis and not some undiagnosed disease that will prove fatal in 6 months)

If I were a pro - playing tennis ALL the time. I mean, I really like it, but every day? And, as LK says, the travelling/airports.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 pm

As a rather flat hitter taking the ball early, I simply hate the wind. I can play when court are wet or even pouring down and even under snowy sub zero conds but wind? won't bother.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:07 pm

I generally can't stand the people, they are generally poncy and snobbish an painful to listen to most of the time.

As for tennis itself, I'm annoyed with my forehand.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:24 pm

emancipator wrote:Yep, gotta agree, moon-ball is part of the tennis jargon. It's a unique shot that has no other singular description.

It's been done.......moonball is no longer a banned word

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Solerina wrote:
emancipator wrote:Yep, gotta agree, moon-ball is part of the tennis jargon. It's a unique shot that has no other singular description.

It's been done.......moonball is no longer a banned word

Solerina

Hooouurraahh!

So let's list the great moonballers of the open era!

Laugh

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:12 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I generally can't stand the people, they are generally poncy and snobbish an painful to listen to most of the time.

Yep, that sounds like me!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Hello

Very Happy

moonball, moonballer, moonballing, majorcan moonballer

just testing.

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm annoyed when errors are met by applause also annoyed that Roger's defense goes missing when playing Nadal mad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:51 pm

I haven't played in ages and ages due to creaky knee and laziness Rolling Eyes but when I was younger I used to be really annoyed that the geriatrics always had first choice on courts over the rest of us (now would welcome that distinction Very Happy ) and that you could get turfed (geddit? haha) off the favoured grass courts as soon as they had all finished their liquid lunches!

I guess I was so lucky where I grew up because we had a great and very inclusive and friendly tennis club as well as free well maintained courts in the local park - reading other peoples' experiences, just realise how great it was - not so good where I live now, plenty of indoor tennis courts, but sooooooo expensive to hire for kids, and the group tennis lessons mean they average about 2 hits per hour!!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:03 pm

Tenez wrote: A tennis forum for the fragile and sensitive rafalitos!

Dont think so, not sure there are any Nadal fans left on here given almost every thread seems to be denigrating the guy or his achievements even if it starts out as a different topic.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Weather isn't too bad for me either in tehran or southern cali. My club in southern california is amazing, 28 courts, pool, bar. In tehran on the other hand I can't bring myself to play much. Our tennis club is in the center of town located basically in the worst pollution and traffic part of a horribly polluted city. Good red clay courts thoug when you get there.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Where have they all gone lydian? They were all here after the French Open and had a happy time denigrating Federer and his achievements (even though he has far more to begin with).

I thought Nadal fans would be able to take a few losses, it's not like Nadal's lost for the first time. I was still here after Federer lost the French Open and after he lost to Tsonga, so don't know why they've taken fright. It was nice to be proven correct on my predictions about Nadal/Wimbledon though. Nadal fans after that were very triumphant and took no prisoners, Nadal was going to conquer all before him, at least that's how it came across to me and he was going to out do Federer and show him how it's done. Not so many of them talking about that these days.

Last edited by luciusmann on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Moonballing - Moonballer

Big difference between describing a shot or describing a player in an insulting manner.

And we all know who the perpetrators of the latter are on here don't we !

Oh yet another attempt at pulling the wool over the admins eyes, should be wise to it by now.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 pm

I don't recall any of the Rafa fans degrading Federer's achievements, so please know the facts before stating otherwise.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Looks like Luciousman will have to edit his comment a fourth time <yawn>

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 pm

I was revising it for grammar errors those previous times, Jubbahey.

Saying Federer won his slams during a 'weak' era is a mild form of denigration LK, which is still repeated even now. What does that make the slams other players have won? Somehow more? It's the direct implication, even if some posters pay lip service and say oh, Federer can only play what's put in front of him. However, you cannot get away from the implication that if you label an era 'weak' that you end up demeaning the achievements of those who won slams then. This is just one example I can think of.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:09 pm

A/ you have added more sentences LM, don't try the old wool and eyes with me sonny.

B/ the Rafateers have never come on to the main forum and said anything remotely like that about Federer, my, you do have a lot more "grammatical error editing" to do now, don't we ?

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Luciusmann the Rafateers never degraded Federer's achievements. Infact they never spoke a bad word about other players, so I find your remark about them saying so rather unpleasent.

There is only one guy on this forum that degrades Federer's achievements, but that is not a reflection on the Rafateer's.

To their credit, they have had to put up with daily repetitive garbage about Nadal.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 pm

I added some sentences to make it clearer, I don't see how that's pulling wool over you're eyes. Well of course you would say you haven't come across anything like that, you're a well known Nadal fan! In fact, you sent me (when you were a 'moderator') a totally unreasonable PM simply because I had a different view and I wasn't part of the Nadal bandwagon after the French Open.

You're right LK, I shouldn't have said 'all'. It certainly isn't all, a lapse. There have been a few silly threads about Rafa, I agree, but I haven't put them up!

Last edited by luciusmann on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated)

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Well, this is all very interesting, but I still say 'rain'.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Jubbahey wrote:Looks like Luciousman will have to edit his comment a fourth time <yawn>

I can't believe you were once a moderator here. More like a hellraiser to me! Everything you post is about criticising others.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 pm

legendkillar wrote:Luciusmann the Rafateers never degraded Federer's achievements. Infact they never spoke a bad word about other players, so I find your remark about them saying so rather unpleasent.

Not quite true actually but frankly even if they did, most of us would argue the point not the posters.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 pm

LM, its more than a few silly threads, its almost every thread at the moment.
I dont think its good form to be sharing what people write in PMs - no matter whether you agree with them or not. The 'P' I believe stands for 'private'?

This place seems to have turned into a roman orgy for everyone who wants to have a pop at Nadal the person, Nadal the tennis player, Nadal's achievements...you cant beat a bit of balance on a forum.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Maybe it's just a case of having a pop at Federer when he lost the No 1 spot (on 606), now Nadal (on 606v2), and next it will be Djokovic's turn (on the yet to be launched 606v3).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 pm

What pi$$es me off, I started this thread as a genuine chit chat and yet there is always some plank that strays off topic!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Quite right LK! Hence my 9.30 post, which had no effect whatsoever in getting it back on track. Oh well, we can but try.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 pm

It wasn't private lydian, it was put up on the topic thread, not in the PM (the PM said the same thing) that's what I found most annoying! I'm glad to see that 'moderator' is no longer a moderator. Personally lydian, I agree, it has been unfair to have open season on Nadal, I can't see the point of some of the threads but there you have it, it will happen in the Wimbledon aftermath, I've always tried to maintain a balanced opinion, even if I'm not a fan of a player (doesn't mean I always do).

I agree Tenez, I mainly seen what you seen with that particular ex-moderator.

Sorry for straying off topic, it wasn't intended.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:18 am

Tenez wrote:
Jubbahey wrote:Looks like Luciousman will have to edit his comment a fourth time <yawn>

I can't believe you were once a moderator here. More like a hellraiser to me! Everything you post is about criticising others.

Eat your heart out Tenez, I was voted to be a Mod by the Members of the Tennis section, get it!, voted in, majority rule.
Tough it out big boy.

As for writing criticism, ain't you the pot black then! hypocrite. Jeez, what a nerve. laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 am

Ludricrousman, If you felt so strongly about the PM and the alleged posting of it on the main boards, which I have to say is a blatant lie, why did you not report me to the admins, you seem to still be upset about it, smouldering away in your little black book of misdemeanour's, but you didn't did you, why not? because its a total fabrication of the actual event that happened.

But if you think spreading viscous rumours about me and trying to get the admins to ban me with your little hints here and there is going to work, dream on.

You really ought to be more careful with the sort of things you put down in writing on a public board such as this, I thought you were old enough to know better.

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:46 am

Excuse me? I did report your PM, have you got a different recollection of it? It'll still be up there on the boards and I did feel strongly about it, hence why you said I could refer it to a couple of other moderators/admins, which I did. What you said in you're PM is pretty much what you said on the boards, I didn't say you posted exactly, word for word, what you said in the PM on the boards. Don't make up stuff please. I said I did not agree with what you said, and I didn't agree with what you accused me of. So don't make up stuff say I'm smoldering away? Have you been drinking? I was shocked that you could be made a 'moderator'. There you go again, attacking others in your snidey way, ludrcrousman? Sorry, where have I attacked you personally? You can't keep it civil, and you were a moderator? Perhaps start with moderating you're own language before moving onto others. What you put in the PM was pretty much exactly what you said on the boards, after being on these boards for a month, I now know that other moderators haven't done that. Sorry, I fail to see what's vicious about anything I've said.

I put down my actual age, have you? I note you're 99? Really? Careful what I write down on a public board? I'm more open than you are, and you're preaching to me to be more careful? I wonder what you're own family and friends would think of you're personal attacks on others, including me on here. I certainly haven't attacked you personally in any way. Grow Up.

Politicians are voted in, does that make all of them saints? Er no, so just because you're voted in by others doesn't amount to a lot.

Last edited by luciusmann on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : updated)

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:12 am

If you reported it, why was I not pulled up about it then, maybe they thought it wasnt worth the bother, how did the admins reply to you then ?

And I did not replicate the PM on the boards.

First off, I told you on the thread to behave, then, THEN, I PM'ed you about it to explain the comment. And if you found something insulting in that PM or the comment on the thread, you'd have to be digging pretty deep to find anything untoward, as from what you say, the PM and the public comment were almost exactly the same !!

I remember if perfectly well thank you.

You also have a selective memory, you don't conveniently remember the personal comments you made on another thread about me and my "history" of trouble making, you know, stepping over the line and "pushing it" comments. Between you and Tenez, there seems to be a concerted effort to summon bad opinion of me.

And I was talking to Tenez about being a mod, not you, why have you taken up the gauntlet ? did you think I was talking to you ?

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 am

I don't know how these things work on this forum (at least not then), I got a message back from Davie saying use less flowery language which is quite a climb down from what you said. I've not changed my username at all, it's the same then and the same now.

Me to behave? Having read what you've written on the threads, it's a good thing you're not a moderator, you were foul mouthed in one instance. At least I could be forgiven for being a new poster at the time, what's you're excuse when you were pulled up for your attack on someone for saying Sampras was the best (or a thread along those line)?

Oh, I wonder why you're not a moderator any longer if you're such a marvelous moderator, I mean, you must have done such a brilliant job. You haven't actually mentioned why it is you revert to such personal attacks, luducrousman? Are you a child? Again, you were meant to be moderating and this is the sort of thing you say to people. Convenient how you selectively answer my post. I didn't say you had a history of trouble making, but I did say it wasn't the first time you've been snidey about people. So what if you were addressing tenez, I'm entitled to make the point that if you're elected doesn't justify behaving however you like. I won't repeat what you said about the person who said Sampras was the best, because, to be quite frank, it's beneath contempt. If you're going to preach, at least be squeaky clean, that's one thing you certainly aren't.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:37 am

Jubbahey wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Eat your heart out Tenez, I was voted to be a Mod by the Members of the Tennis section, get it!, voted in, majority rule.

And probably voted out soon afterwards. you did not last long! Good riddance!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:39 am

I'm fascinated by the concept of a wum moderator. Maybe it would be an "extreminator" or something like that.

You were always obviously a Rafalito even as a mod, Jubb.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:47 am

I cant believe I'm reading this.

I trust that now you have got it all off your chest and that is the end of it.
Can we now drop it and please keep this thread on topic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Hello

Very Happy

what's going on here then?

Storm in a tea cup?

Y-man you should check out the juvenile mudslinging on the boxing board; [/i]that[/i] you will find seriously hard to believe.

ghost

emancipator - United Nations ambassador for peace.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:35 pm

I read all sections on here emancipator.
Can we please keep this thread on topic.

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:09 pm

1) Rotten court maintainance
2) Rain
3) Lack of a similar experienced player
4) No Ball Boys
5) Tennis Cub fees are far to expensive
6) Snobbery and *I am greater than thou* attitude within the
club *board*

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Sorry YIMan, but I have received some rather nasty comments about my moderation and presence on V2.

I would like to invite anyone on here to give comment to how I carried out my moderation duties. I wasn't voted off as you know YIman and can only describe Tenez and Luciusmann as "ganging" up on me and and trying to spread ill will of me on these forums. I think it is my right to answer such slanderous posts and make my case on the thread in question.

I have never written an insulting PM to any poster, either as a moderator or a contributor. I have since deleted all my correspondence as a mod, so it can only be retrieved from the admin records, but I won't stand by and let a couple of "suspect" posters try to take over a thread to begin a whole hearted effort to discredit my integrity.

If anyone on here has had any kind of grievance with me, then please openly tell everyone what they think of me. If enough posters think I should leave, then I will, I'd be quite happy to bow down to the majority opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next