The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 134 - Silva v Okami

+5
easthfc
boomdangle
gibbo104
Clunge4life
talkingpoint
9 posters

Go down

Is the UFC 134 main event the epic fight it's being hyped as?

UFC 134 - Silva v Okami Vote_lcap13%UFC 134 - Silva v Okami Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
UFC 134 - Silva v Okami Vote_lcap87%UFC 134 - Silva v Okami Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 8

UFC 134 - Silva v Okami Empty UFC 134 - Silva v Okami

Post by talkingpoint Fri 08 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm

It may still be more than a month away but already the UFC 134 main event is being billed as one of the most epic fights in UFC history. Much has been made of the fact that it is the first UFC PPV in Brazil and Brazilian native Silva is facing Japanese fighter Okami, the only man to have beaten him in the last 5 years or so! Silva is always hyped as the greatest P4P fighter in the world in all of his PPV hype videos. Now Okami is being billed as the greatest threat to Silva yet as he is the last man to get a win over him. So very simply is this fight going to be as epic as the UFC make out? I must admit I am very excited about this PPV - the upper card looks extremely strong and I'm also hugely looking forward to Rua v Griffin and Schaub v Nogueira. I'd love to see Okami repeat his victory and become the first Japanese world champion in UFC history, but the very fact that we have a Brazilian v a Japanese in a card that is being hosted in Brazil is fantastic for the sport, as both countries have given so much to the world of MAs and MMA.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

UFC 134 - Silva v Okami Empty Re: UFC 134 - Silva v Okami

Post by Clunge4life Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

The only man to have beaten him in 5 years or so! Lol take a look how he beat him!!

Silva 1st round KO

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Clunge4life wrote:The only man to have beaten him in 5 years or so! Lol take a look how he beat him!!

Silva 1st round KO

Yeah, Silva was dominating that fight until the DQ and I suspect that Silva will dominate and defend his belt sucessfully again. This fight I dont think will be epic but this card I do think will be epic! Really looking forward to it.

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 08 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

Clunge4life wrote:The only man to have beaten him in 5 years or so! Lol take a look how he beat him!!

Silva 1st round KO

I know it was a DQ but it's still a loss on Silva's record and anyway Okami had him down and was beginning to control the fight through the ground and pound. I'm not saying Okami would have won, Silva started strong but the whole reason it was an illegal KO was because Okami had taken Silva down so up to that point had held his own. I'm sure Silva will be confident he can win and will want to avenge his DQ, but Okami will know this and is more experienced too. I'm hoping for a strong performance from both.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:51 pm

I just watched the fight & thought it a strange DQ. I appreciate that the rules are the rules, but Okami had taken Silva down & appeared to be in a potentially dominant position until the kick landed. Surely the knee rule shouldn't apply in this situation, its not like Badr Hari kicking opponents when he's knocked them down as in the fights with Bonjasky & Gerges. Would the ruling have been the same had this been fought under UFC rules? This is the only fight I've seen of Okami so i cant make a fair judgment but would probably go with Silva. Anybody recommend any Okami fights?

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:22 am

great card just feel like wiht most of silva's fights will be a massive let down. Am not a silva fan, can't knock the length of his reign but does the thought of a silva fight get me excited no. Really hope Oka beats him but just don't see it.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:52 am

The main event is far from epic, although there are not many MW right now that would make it an epic fight. The overall card is great though.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:03 pm

Great card, not an epic headlining fight, Dana was disgusted with him recently he was performing so bad, as was i, Okami doesn't raise pulses whoever he fights, nice undercard for a change though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

Ok so UFC 134 or Rio as it's now being called is just around the corner! I must say that I've been looking forward to this card for a while now. I read Shogun's blog on the ufc website and if what he says about being 100% is true then his rematch with Griffith should have some fireworks! There is no doubt at the moment that he is motivated to go on to become champion again.

The Silva/Okami fight has a certain air of inevitability to it, only because Silva has put away every opponent to cross his path in the UFC. Okami's DQ victory over Silva hardly instills confidence either, but we will never know what might have been the outcome if Silva hadn't of used that illegal kick!? I think Okami will be a threat to Silva - Sonnen proved Silva is still human even if he did lose in the end. If Okami can dominate Silva like Sonnen and just be a little more intelligent about it then he could get the win. From the preview video on youtube I watched it sounds as if Okami might take this fight to the ground, or at least keep it close with the clinch as he suspects Silva to favour his stand up game. Nevertheless I can't wait to see what happens. Part of me just wants to see Silva get beat - the whole rooting for the underdog thing; but then on the other hand part of me wants to see Silva retain his title, especially in front of a home crowd. I'm sure the atmosphere will be electric!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

I want Oki to win but can't see it happening. I can't stand Anderson he's a really poor sportsman. The way he treated Damian Maia was disgusting and a champion should conduct himself better. Some people (Sonnen, Hardy) talk a big one but thats all head games, Silva actually believes that he's Gods gift to the cage and that he should decide who has the right to get in the ring with him.

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:47 am

I want Anderson to lose too. But I want Sonnen or GSP to do it. Really can't see Okami beating Silva although he does train with Sonnen so may try a similair game plan to Chael.

I'm more excitied about the rest of the card.

Maurício Rua vs. Forrest Griffin
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Brendan Schaub
Edson Barboza vs. Ross Pearson
Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov
Thiago Tavares vs. Spencer Fisher
Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller

Hopefully Shogun can avenge his loss and Pearson gets another good win.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

easthfc wrote:I want Anderson to lose too. But I want Sonnen or GSP to do it. Really can't see Okami beating Silva although he does train with Sonnen so may try a similair game plan to Chael.

I'm more excitied about the rest of the card.

Maurício Rua vs. Forrest Griffin
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Brendan Schaub
Edson Barboza vs. Ross Pearson
Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov
Thiago Tavares vs. Spencer Fisher
Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller

Hopefully Shogun can avenge his loss and Pearson gets another good win.

It's a great card, most looking forward to Shogun vs Griffin and hope Shogun wins.

Agreed that i hope Pearson wins but think it'll tough, a big edge many have stepping in with Pearson is that he shouldn't scare anyone with his power i.e. lack of it.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

just read a really interesting blog with an interview with Griffin where he admits that MMA has just become a job to him nowadays and feels he can't get any better after peaking in 08! check it out http://www.uk-bjj.com/

thoughts? Is Griffin's 'realism' just a breath of fresh air in a sport where trash talking and self aggrandisement is common practice or is this a pessimistic attitude that will hinder his chances of becoming a champion again? It sounds as if Griffin is just happy to pick up pay cheques now and live a comfortable life outside the Octagon!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

talkingpoint wrote:just read a really interesting blog with an interview with Griffin where he admits that MMA has just become a job to him nowadays and feels he can't get any better after peaking in 08! check it out http://www.uk-bjj.com/

thoughts? Is Griffin's 'realism' just a breath of fresh air in a sport where trash talking and self aggrandisement is common practice or is this a pessimistic attitude that will hinder his chances of becoming a champion again? It sounds as if Griffin is just happy to pick up pay cheques now and live a comfortable life outside the Octagon!

Griffin's always been a very honest guy to listen to and i think he's just speaking his mind and many probably have the same view.

Rampage has said the same in the past.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

I've always liked Forsest and I will be cheering for him to win this fight against Shogun (although I am predicting a showgun victory) .

I do hope he is fully motivated going into this fight, and this talk of MMA just being a job is a psychological thing he is throwing out there to give Showgun a false sence of security. He is one of the top LH in the UFC but he doesnt need the belt or really wins to stay with the company as Dana will give him a job for life just like Stephen Bonner.

Really looking forward to this card and looking forward to seeing how Griffin starts off this fight, is he going to be fully motivated? Only time will tell.

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:08 pm

just watched the countdown programme on ufc.com analysing Silva and Okami; Okami has been training with Sonnen for this fight - do you think this was a wise decision to make, what with Sonnen's seemingly irrational opinions about Silva at times? I know Sonnen talks a good fight and no doubt has immense self belief and confidence (which Okami is going to need come UFC Rio) but nevertheless is Sonnen level headed enough to give Okami the advice and preparation needed to defeated Silva? Silva thinks Okami has sided with a loser (which technically he was against Silva), but at the end of the day Sonnen would have won a UD if Silva had not submitted him in the dying minutes of the 5th!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

talkingpoint wrote:just watched the countdown programme on ufc.com analysing Silva and Okami; Okami has been training with Sonnen for this fight - do you think this was a wise decision to make, what with Sonnen's seemingly irrational opinions about Silva at times? I know Sonnen talks a good fight and no doubt has immense self belief and confidence (which Okami is going to need come UFC Rio) but nevertheless is Sonnen level headed enough to give Okami the advice and preparation needed to defeated Silva? Silva thinks Okami has sided with a loser (which technically he was against Silva), but at the end of the day Sonnen would have won a UD if Silva had not submitted him in the dying minutes of the 5th!

I don't think its a bad idea, as we all know Sonnen gave Silva his toughest fight by far, & should have plenty of good advice as to a game plan & executing it. With regards to his irrational opinons & whether he is level headed enough I think we have to separate Sonnens media persona & his training/fighting persona. He's obviously a talented & dedicated fighter & intelligent enough to know that hyping Okami & dissing Silva isn't enough, giving confidence to somebody is different.

Aside from being a good fighter its his media persona that keeps him in the limelight, some people like him some don't, but his constant bitching about the Silva loss couple with some decent wins will get him a rematch giving him his chance to set the record straight.

Yes Sonnen would've won had Silva not submitted him but he did, it was a fight of 5 5 minute rounds & thats how long you have to fight for, I think it shows a lot for Silva's quality & confidence that that close to a shut out loss that he pulls it out the bag.

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

I think Sonnen is a great training partner for Okami in this fight. What better person to train with than the only man who has came close to beating a prime Anderson Silva.

Won't make any difference though.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

sohotnot wrote:
talkingpoint wrote:just watched the countdown programme on ufc.com analysing Silva and Okami; Okami has been training with Sonnen for this fight - do you think this was a wise decision to make, what with Sonnen's seemingly irrational opinions about Silva at times? I know Sonnen talks a good fight and no doubt has immense self belief and confidence (which Okami is going to need come UFC Rio) but nevertheless is Sonnen level headed enough to give Okami the advice and preparation needed to defeated Silva? Silva thinks Okami has sided with a loser (which technically he was against Silva), but at the end of the day Sonnen would have won a UD if Silva had not submitted him in the dying minutes of the 5th!

I don't think its a bad idea, as we all know Sonnen gave Silva his toughest fight by far, & should have plenty of good advice as to a game plan & executing it. With regards to his irrational opinons & whether he is level headed enough I think we have to separate Sonnens media persona & his training/fighting persona. He's obviously a talented & dedicated fighter & intelligent enough to know that hyping Okami & dissing Silva isn't enough, giving confidence to somebody is different.

Aside from being a good fighter its his media persona that keeps him in the limelight, some people like him some don't, but his constant bitching about the Silva loss couple with some decent wins will get him a rematch giving him his chance to set the record straight.

Yes Sonnen would've won had Silva not submitted him but he did, it was a fight of 5 5 minute rounds & thats how long you have to fight for, I think it shows a lot for Silva's quality & confidence that that close to a shut out loss that he pulls it out the bag.

Yes props for taking that amount of punishment for nearly 5 whole rounds but he still got tossed around like a ragdoll. Do you really think that he wrote that into his gameplan? "Get smacked about for four rounds then wait for him to give me an opening and sub him". Thats all it was, he saw an opening and got in a nice sub. One good attack doesn't not out weigh consistant points scored in my view. I always feel like a fighter got robbed in that situation.

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

that's the difference between a sport and a real fight - on the street there are no rules, no time limits, no rounds. But MMA is a sport and Silva proved again why he is one of the greatest martial artists and athletes in the sport. Yes Sonnen still likes to bitch about it - coming from the mean streets of Oregon, but he knows how this sport works and he lost fair and square.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 25 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

I agree with Sonnens opinion on the fight though. Sonnen won the fight, Anderson won the mma match. But as you say this is mma.

Apparently Anderson had a bad injury during the fight so it's tough to say if he was able to give anywhere near 100%.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 25 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

They keep making Okami out to be a strong middle weight, who has great ground and pound. If he has the advantage in the strength department then going for a G&P TKO would make sense, and Sonnen should definitely be able to help him in his aggression and takedowns but Silva's movement and striking is so deceptive and hard to defend against that Okami could find himself committing to a takedown and getting KO'd.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

TipToes88 wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

Yes props for taking that amount of punishment for nearly 5 whole rounds but he still got tossed around like a ragdoll. Do you really think that he wrote that into his gameplan? "Get smacked about for four rounds then wait for him to give me an opening and sub him". Thats all it was, he saw an opening and got in a nice sub. One good attack doesn't not out weigh consistant points scored in my view. I always feel like a fighter got robbed in that situation.

Obviously not! But that is what happened. I think if you read my post I give props to Sonnen & think he's a good addition to Okami's training camp for the aforementioned reasons. I think Eastfc sums it up for us that Sonnen won the fight But Silva the match. I understand where you are coming from & agree to some extent but its about getting the win any which way you can be it a devastating ko or lay & pray not being the nearly man. Sonnen came out a big winner with the fans & crititics. As for getting robbed I tend to see that as generally done to the judges or the ref, something we've all seen. There was an interesting post on the boxing forum entitled 'Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat' & for Silva this defo applies.

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 6:03 pm

Right, who voted for Okami?! Own up now! Who was it?!... I want to take that bet! Very Happy

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:26 am

Any point in Okami turning up to this (fight Rolling Eyes )
Silva will be too legendary for him as is the norm. OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Okami will turn up to this fight for 3 reasons:

1. To try and win the middleweight title and become the first Japanese UFC champion
2. To avenge his win against Silva in which he actually got KO'd! I'm sure Okami is embarrassed by everyone calling it a win.
3. For the money!

Those are actually three powerful incentives to turn up to this fight! Whether he'll win is another matter entirely.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down