The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Results that have made your day/week/year.....

+21
AlexHuckerby
TRUSSMAN66
no-mas
milkyboy
The genius of PBF
Seanusarrilius
oxring
captain carrantuohil
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
Lumbering_Jack
Valero's Conscience
TopHat24/7
Super D Boon
lightsout
bhb001
88Chris05
Rowley
coxy0001
HumanWindmill
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Results that have made your day/week/year..... Empty Results that have made your day/week/year.....

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

Following on from a previous article about being dejected with a fight result:

Which fight have you stayed up to watch and the result had you walking on air and in a good mood for days/weeks?

I heard the Barrera vs Naseem fight mentioned so i'm sure that is an obvious one for a lot of people.

I'll get the ball rollin':

Groves beating DeGale

Hopkins beating Pascal

Over to you lads!!!

Cheers

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Results that have made your day/week/year..... Empty Re: Results that have made your day/week/year.....

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

I mentioned on the other thread that Ali v Frazier I left me in desolation. Equally so, Ali v Foreman left me absolutely exalted.

I was living in digs at the time, and awoke to a female housemate running around the house screaming ' he did it, ' over and over again. Watched it that night and still couldn't believe my eyes and ears.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Results that have made your day/week/year..... Empty Re: Results that have made your day/week/year.....

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

Would have loved to witnessed the Rumble 1st hand Windy!

Must have been great for a guy like you being in your late 40's at the time. Very Happy just kiddin!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Mitchell getting hammered by Katsidis. Overhyped gobby chav who then whinged, moaned and made enough excuses to make Haye look gracious in defeat.

Khan getting sparked by Prescott, was hoping he'd have some sense, dignity and most other things into him. Sadly he's still a gobby upstart who speaks above his station.

Bruno beating McCall... c'mon, the whole country wanted to see him finally lift a belt!

Naz getting schooled by Barrera, now a gobby little fat c-word rather than jut a gobby c-word. Was hoping he'd get knocked out against MAB but i quite happily took a one sided beatdown.. more so after his ridiculous ring walk.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

Clinton Woods winning a world title at the fourth attempt against Hoye, nice to see a blue collar guy who always fought the best and went after proper titles getting his due.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Cheers Coxy.

The Khan one had me shaking. I couldn't believe it! Its was even better because it was his first pay per view when it shouldn't really have been. And the fireworks going off for his entrance etc.

Little did he know that the last firework was due to go off 54 secs into the first round!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Groves-DeGale a few weeks ago is a good shout. I have to admit that I particularly enjoyed that moment where DeGale began celebrating, thinking he'd won when Jimmy Lennon Jr said "the winner, and still undefeated...", as immature as that might sound!

Obviously, as he's from my neck of the woods, a lot of Froch's recent wins have left me in a great mood, but particularly the ones against Pascal and Taylor. I'd watched Froch box a few times in Nottingham as he made his way up the ranks, and was in the arena when he won the title against Pascal. The atmosphere was fantastic, and it really felt like a great culmination of following him.

Had to make do with watching the Taylor fight on TV, but was jumping up and down, going mad in that twelfth round. I think that was the fight which really made people take proper notice of Froch. Great night, that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:47 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Would have loved to witnessed the Rumble 1st hand Windy!

Must have been great for a guy like you being in your late 40's at the time. Very Happy just kiddin!

'Twas bliss, Dee ! Sheer bliss.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Chris was also at the Pascal fight, totally agree that was one of the best atmosphere's I have experienced live. Really hope if Froch can get past Ward he can get a big fight as a homecoming, on the back of the run he has had he deserves it more than any other fighter I can think of and a packed City Ground would be a deserved way to congratulate him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

Has to be said. Honeygan vs Currry for me

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

rowley wrote:Chris was also at the Pascal fight, totally agree that was one of the best atmosphere's I have experienced live. Really hope if Froch can get past Ward he can get a big fight as a homecoming, on the back of the run he has had he deserves it more than any other fighter I can think of and a packed City Ground would be a deserved way to congratulate him.

He deserves a great homecoming regardless of the result against Ward.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

coxy0001...great choices agree with them all especially Mitchell getting taken out by the quiet and respectful Katsidis 'hammered' is right seeing as it was at Upton Park!!!!! Naz getting a one-sided beat down was quality, I've got the fight on DVD at work and play it every now again to give me a lift, love the bit when Naz goes to touch gloves and Barrera ignores him and continues to beat him up instead.....Mexican warrior against a mouthy show off.....

My own personal favourite has got to be....Morales beating up Manny especially the bit where Manny clearly goes in with the head and totally comes off worse with blood coming down his own face instead.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Froch losing to Kessler
Haye losing to Wlad
Hamed losing to Barrera
Rahman getting sparked v Lewis 2

All results filled my heart with sunshine and joy and left me feeling at peace with the world....if only temporarily.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Super D - can I ask, why were you so happy to see Froch lose a close decision to Kessler? Are you a particualr fan of the Dane or just a disliker of Carl?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

Hopkins vs Pascal II - Didn't think he'd get the chance to avenge his loss

Mitchell vs Katsidas - Mitchell was too mouthy and always liked Katsidas so was happy to see the win and hear the Essex boys go silent!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Super D - can I ask, why were you so happy to see Froch lose a close decision to Kessler? Are you a particualr fan of the Dane or just a disliker of Carl?

He is just an idiot really.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Super D - can I ask, why were you so happy to see Froch lose a close decision to Kessler? Are you a particualr fan of the Dane or just a disliker of Carl?

Suspect if you had included as an option were he a fan of a certain welshman you may go someway to solving this riddle.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

Ah, I did wonder whether it was over the the protracted Calzaghe call-out business but was hoping it was something more sensible....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

Each to their own I guess but my criteria for deciding whether I like a fighter are fairly simple. If they try to fight the best available fighters, are willing to travel to do that and avoid chasing joke belts I'll get behind them. If they can also open their mouth without me wishing I was deaf and be involved in entertaining fights all the better. As Froch seems to tick all of those boxes can't see, as a fan what's not to like, but takes all sorts.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

I can't think of many fighters in the world right now with a better current record (ie last 5-10 fights) in terms of who they've fought as well as result. Couple that with the excitement a granite chinned fighter can always bring and the fact he comes across pretty well in interviews etc (I thought he was very good at the Haye fight) I think there's nothing to dislike really.

Plus his missus is FIT with a worryingly alluring gutter-mouth....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

rowley wrote:Each to their own I guess but my criteria for deciding whether I like a fighter are fairly simple. If they try to fight the best available fighters, are willing to travel to do that and avoid chasing joke belts I'll get behind them. If they can also open their mouth without me wishing I was deaf and be involved in entertaining fights all the better. As Froch seems to tick all of those boxes can't see, as a fan what's not to like, but takes all sorts.

Congratulations rowley. You have wisdom unlike some of the clowns on here! OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
rowley wrote:Each to their own I guess but my criteria for deciding whether I like a fighter are fairly simple. If they try to fight the best available fighters, are willing to travel to do that and avoid chasing joke belts I'll get behind them. If they can also open their mouth without me wishing I was deaf and be involved in entertaining fights all the better. As Froch seems to tick all of those boxes can't see, as a fan what's not to like, but takes all sorts.

Congratulations rowley. You have wisdom unlike some of the clowns on here! OK

Are you referencing yourself there who wanted Kessler to win?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

Damn it wrong quote!

Froch is a noob , why has everyone got to like him? Besides he's a lot less of a warrior than people make out!

Believe it or not, he wants to make BHop fight him at a catchweight if they ever fight!! WTF!!! At least Calzaghe had the middle parts to go straight up to Light Heavy to fight him. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

A noob?

Headscratch

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

Scottrf wrote:A noob?

Headscratch

Its the last part of his username spelt backwards I think
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

Less of a warrior? Oh dear, whilst i'm not a fan of catchweights it doesn't mean he's the aforementioned nonsense.

Add in BHop isn't exactly big for a LHW, based on him being quite happy to go down to 170lbs for Pavlik, and Froch isn't a big SMW means that point is pretty much pointless.

And people like Froch because:

a) He's not afraid to travel unlike some other SMW champ we had.

b) Takes on the best unlike some SMW champ did.

c) Has been involved in some all action proper wars rather than pit patting to victory.

Hope that makes you realise why

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

I'm still smiling from the Wlad v Haye fight. Would have been better if the mouthy git had been KOd. Booth the apparent tactical genius got found out as well one plan and that was to catch Wlad with a big shot at some point. I can't imagine that Emannuel Steward had only one game plan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

My greatest thrills probably go back to childhood and the sort of time when pleasure in sporting triumphs are magnified and the defeats of great favourites are felt equally viscerally.

For me, the great results were Conteh W15 Ahumada, Stracey TKO 6 Napoles, Jofre W15 Legra, Sanchez TKO 8 Gomez and Watt W15 Davis.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I'm still smiling from the Wlad v Haye fight. Would have been better if the mouthy git had been KOd. Booth the apparent tactical genius got found out as well one plan and that was to catch Wlad with a big shot at some point. I can't imagine that Emannuel Steward had only one game plan.

To play devils advocate, I can. "You gotta let the punches go" is the only piece of advice you will ever hear him give in the corner.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:I'm still smiling from the Wlad v Haye fight. Would have been better if the mouthy git had been KOd. Booth the apparent tactical genius got found out as well one plan and that was to catch Wlad with a big shot at some point. I can't imagine that Emannuel Steward had only one game plan.

To play devils advocate, I can. "You gotta let the punches go" is the only piece of advice you will ever hear him give in the corner.

Not fair - he sometimes says "you gotta work the jab" and very very occaionally "gotta work the body".

Although I've never heard him ask Wlad to work the jab. Odd that.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

I don't think he's ever told Wlad to work the body either. He's probably in single figure career bodyshots.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

Another for me would be Gatti vs Ward 1.

Watching the fight I knew that Gatti was the better of the 2, but I wanted Ward to win so much due to the "Irish" part of his ringname. Very hard to stomach a war like that when its so close. But after the first fight I gained a soft spot for Gatti so didn't care about the other 2 fights after.

Another which I thought would have been mentioned is Ricky Burns vs Roman Martinez.

I swear I had to leave the room half way through the 12th round. I couldn't watch. Was over the moon though when the result was given.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

I have to say - I did enjoy the Dane beating Froch.

Before I am condemned and ritually executed I would say that I had 2 reasons.

Firstly - I really like Kessler - he seems a decent bloke and he deserved better than to be butted to death after a year of inactivity by Ward.

Secondly - I hoped it might silence some of the Calzaghe comparisons - in that they are both different fighters who we should be able to appreciate in their own right. However - I had tired of Froch fans shouting about how Froch would have smashed Joe into next year and Calzaghe fans shouting about how Carl was useless a bum and classless etc etc. Ergo, when Froch lost to a faded version of a Calzaghe victim - I thought perhaps the clamour might die down and we'd be able to appreciate each fighter for the set of skills they possess.

Alas, how wrong I was.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

Scottrf wrote:

Haye never caused him any trouble to make Wlad try something different. Wlad was comfortable throughout. If Haye had of got at Wlad and had him in trouble or was winning the fight do you honestly think Steward wouldn't have had a plan B or C?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Haye never caused him any trouble to make Wlad try something different. Wlad was comfortable throughout. If Haye had of got at Wlad and had him in trouble or was winning the fight do you honestly think Steward wouldn't have had a plan B or C?

I don't know. But you don't find much variety in his corner advice. If you don't believe me, watch him in the corner for Taylor, Wlad, Moorer etc.

He's obviously a successful trainer though and I'm unsure of how technical you can get mid fight and have the boxer listen.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I don't know. But you don't find much variety in his corner advice. If you don't believe me, watch him in the corner for Taylor, Wlad, Moorer etc.

He's obviously a successful trainer though and I'm unsure of how technical you can get mid fight and have the boxer listen.

You would think they would have worked on a couple of other game plans in training in case Haye did have a bit more about him. Most trainers say very little in the corner. It's more about what they do in training and Steward and Wlad are well known for being meticulous in his preparation.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

i know that outside of Britain wlad beating Haye is a very popular victory, the yanks are revelling in it for one

I regularly re watch the Degale Groves match just to see the look on Degales face when he loses.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Less of a warrior? Oh dear, whilst i'm not a fan of catchweights it doesn't mean he's the aforementioned nonsense.

Add in BHop isn't exactly big for a LHW, based on him being quite happy to go down to 170lbs for Pavlik, and Froch isn't a big SMW means that point is pretty much pointless.

And people like Froch because:

a) He's not afraid to travel unlike some other SMW champ we had.

b) Takes on the best unlike some SMW champ did.

c) Has been involved in some all action proper wars rather than pit patting to victory.

Hope that makes you realise why

Oh dear I suppose entering a lame competition with novices and shot fighters looking for a last hurragh makes him a warrior then! Laugh

Froch caking it against a 46 year old man who he won't fight at full strength because he battered his best win (i.e. a limited two bit 4 round slugger in Jean Claude Pascal!) Laugh

Froch wouldn't stand a hope against Calzaghe and will end up not being as lauded as Calzaghe either despite what anti-Welsh message board hard men have to say about it! 🤦

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

Tumbleweed

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

I agree I am similarly unconvinced by Froch, think he needs Tocker Pudwill on his ledger before he wins me over.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:12 pm

rowley wrote:I agree I am similarly unconvinced by Froch, think he needs Tocker Pudwill on his ledger before he wins me over.

What about Veit? So good Calzaghe had to rematch him.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:12 pm

But Calzaghe went all the way to Newcastle for that one...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

honey v curry (sorry truss)

leonard v hagler... i now see it as 2 greats past their best, but at the time, i was caught up in all the 'can he do it' hype, watching him get written off by everyone.

douglas tyson... if you weren't a tyson fanboy and you're a fan of boxing, this was just a heartwarming experience... and actually a genuinely great fight

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

Tube to North Greenwich - £6
Tickets to DeGale vs Groves - £65
Beer money - £40

The expression on JDG's face when the MC announces "...and STILL undefeated....Saint George Groves" - PRICELESS Yahoo

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

DeGale-Groves was a good one, booked tickets in the gods, sat at the front!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

rowley wrote:I agree I am similarly unconvinced by Froch, think he needs Tocker Pudwill on his ledger before he wins me over.

laughing

Or the great Mger Mkrtchyan perhaps??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

laughing

Or the great Mger Mkrtchyan perhaps??

That is probably asking too much, we can dream though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

Remember, for all the Pudwills/McIntyres etc, Calzaghe beat them all! The good, not so good and the great - the way a proper champion should! He wasn't a stardom seeking harlot like froch or Haye. He was a REAL champ for over a decade.

Ao all the Froch nuthuggers believe he's the best warrior since Thor! I was wrong! Laugh

I guess asking a 46 year old man to come to fight him understrength is the what we really want to see in our WARRIORS! Laugh

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:46 pm

The good, not so good and the great - the way a proper champion should!

No offence, but proper champions fight the very good, the very good and the very good.

Proper champions don't sit in their backyards making umpteen defences of a belt against many, many opposition that can be described as average at best.

A proper champion makes umpteen mandatory defences against randomly average journeymen eh? Yup, keep thinking that.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

To be honest, I don't think Froch needs to bother with BHop. Nice payday maybe.

If he beats Ward (I see a dodgy points loss myself) and then goes on to unify against Bute (utter rudey poo) and successfully defend against Kessler (thus avenging his only loss) then I think his legacy will be complete and he can retire happy.

How much did Calzaghe's legacy really benefit from a hotly contested decision win over BHop followed by the beating (and that it was) of a shot has been who, frankly, embarrased himself?

For what it's worth, I think Calzaghe would beat Froch on points as he'd tee off on that exposed (but granite) chin and, whilst never hurting him, would collect the rounds and take the UD.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next