The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India's team for first Test vs England

+7
msp83
ShankyCricket
LeBron's Homie
Liam_Main
Masked Magician
Gregers
ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

India's team for first Test vs England Empty India's team for first Test vs England

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

Not long to go for the first test and on the back of a decent tour of the West Indies where India had some second string players the big boys will return and they will be hoping for a rare series win in England.

In my opinion this will be the X1 lining up at Lords on July 21st

Gambhir
Shewag (if fit)
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Yuvraj
Dhoni
H Singh
Sreesanth
I Sharma
Z Khan

The top seven pick themselves (as long as they are fit) Raina will be the unlucky one but Yuvraj has to play after the World Cup he had and will also be a handy second spin option.

With the bowlers it will be Harbijhan with three seamers. Zaheer Khan picks himself and Ishant Sharma is a certain starter after an excellent series in the West Indies. The stumbling block is choosing the third seamer. I chose Sreesanth over Patel and Kumar as I think he will be more fired up and is more explosive and I think India need that.

Back to top Go down

India's team for first Test vs England Empty Re: India's team for first Test vs England

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

it has been confirmed that sehwag will be out of the first test, and most likely the second as well

come on england Smile

Back to top Go down

India's team for first Test vs England Empty Re: India's team for first Test vs England

Post by Gregers Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:24 pm

I think Raina should be in the team, not sure how to fit him in tho.

Who will play instead of Sehwag?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

Sehwag hasn't been ruled out.

It is media speculation.

Sehwag has said he is 1 week from being fit.

If Sehwag is out, then I'd open with Dravid.

My Team if Sewag isn't playing:

1. Gambhir
2. Dravid
3. Laxman
4. Sachin
5. Raina
6. Yuvraj
7. Dhoni (c)(w/k)
8. Harbhajan
9. Praveen Kumar/Munaf
10. Zaheer
11. Ishant

If Sehwag is fit, Yuvraj carries the drinks.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Yuvraj carries the drinks..

You serious? After the WC he had? I think India's selectors will get slaughtered if he is left out

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN wrote:Yuvraj carries the drinks..

You serious? After the WC he had? I think India's selectors will get slaughtered if he is left out
No Yuvraj is an awful Test player. Averages 35.

He has only been selected as he also bowls left arm spin.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm

Averaging 35 now equals awful? I'll bear that in mind...

Yuvraj is one of the best players in the world and a genuine middle order threat...

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

yuvraj wont play in the tests, i think they have moved on to raina now, who will be a better test match prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

If Sehwag isn't playing in the 1st test I would open with Vijay.

Would also have Kumar playing ahead of Sreesanth depending on conditions.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

vijay isnt in the squad, mukund is

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

Mukund then.

imo Dravid is a far better middle-order player than opener and adds some run consistency to there middle order
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

Is Tendulkar not consistent enough then Liam lol

Sachin to score his 100th 100 at Lords? Its written isnt it?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

mukund is awful not sure how he is in the squad to be honest lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:mukund is awful not sure how he is in the squad to be honest lol.

I would Vijay over him to be honest,he's looked poor in the Windies test series.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

Gregers wrote:Is Tendulkar not consistent enough then Liam lol

Sachin to score his 100th 100 at Lords? Its written isnt it?

Bar him and Tendulkar there middle-order can look fragile at times hence why I wouldn't have him opening.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

vijay had an even worse series only averaging below 10

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

India's middle order is wonderful. Dravid Tendulkar and Laxman are legends of the game. No weak links there. Even if Dravid opens, as MM suggests, that would make India strong. Yuvraj would become the 2nd spinner.

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:37 pm

i dont think praveen kumar should play in this series tbh

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

Gregers wrote:Yuvraj is one of the best players in the world and a genuine middle order threat...

I hope you are talking about ODIs.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

If Sehwag is fit, then 9 out of the 11 pick themselves.
Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dhoni, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Ishant.
the questions are about the number 6 batsman and the 3rd pacer. I think Suresh Raina has done enough to start ahead of Yuvraj. Yuvraj has never been an automatic choice in test matches, and his test record is pretty average. He has had problems with spin, and quality pace bowling. Raina has faced down a challenge, and got runs in all the 3 WI test matches.
The 3rd seamer question is a mroe dificult one. Sreesanth has been the prefered one, and regardless of his tempramental issues, he is a fine tallent, who style would be quite useful in England. But Praveen Kumar has done no harm to his test chances in the WI. He swung the ball throughout the series, and bowled with real control. Sreesanth can swing the ball, and move off the seam and do it at a better pace, but he doesn't have PK's control. so it has to be seen as to who would get the go ahead.
Now if Sehwag isn't fit for the first match, Mukund, who had a decent start to his test career would play. Don't think they would commit the mistake of opening with Dravid.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:44 pm

sehwag is out of the test, already has been said

mukund is awful his highest score was 48, against a poor west indies side, mukund isnt gonna be test quality, i would have picked pujara, and if he isnt fit then i would gone for, manish pandey.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:24 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:sehwag is out of the test, already has been said

mukund is awful his highest score was 48, against a poor west indies side, mukund isnt gonna be test quality, i would have picked pujara, and if he isnt fit then i would gone for, manish pandey.
Sorry but has Sehwag said he's unfit for the Lords Test? No.

Some mug from the the BCCI has stated this.

Sehwag said he is 1 week away from full fitness, therefore he could still make the 1st Test.

With regards to Mukund, England have technically dreadful players like Cook and in the past Collingwood. Don't write off a 21 year old so soon.

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

sorry but it has been confirmed that he is unfit,so dont get all with the attitiude

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:22 am

cricketfan
Mukund scored his first test 50(62) in the first innings of the 3rd test match against the West Indies. The West Indies bowling unit of Rampaul, Edwards, Bishoo supported by Sammy can't be much poorer than a Lankan attack without Murali, Malinga and Vaas. Of course Rampaul didn't bowl to Mukund in that innings as he was unfit, but the WI bowling is not as poor as it is made out to be.
Fidel Edwards and Ravi Rampaul are way ahead of any of the Lankan pacers the England batters faced in the recent test series.
Besides, Mukund averages well over 50 in First Class cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

so he got one 50 in that series, apart from that he looked awful

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

cricketfan90 wrote:so he got one 50 in that series, apart from that he looked awful
Don't think his returns were that awful though. got a start and spend good time at the wicket in the 2nd innings of the first match after the early exit of Murali Vijay, Played a useful hand with his 48 in the 2nd test, and then scored his maiden test 50 in the 3rd match. That for me, is improvement, and one shouldn't forget the fact that it was his debut series, and he is only 21.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

i would rather have vijay though lol, i know he had an even worse series, but im backing vijay to come good

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:44 am

cricketfan90 wrote:i would rather have vijay though lol, i know he had an even worse series, but im backing vijay to come good
Vijay is not there in the squad. The only chance that he has to hope for, is a situation where the team management requests for a replacement opener for Sehwag.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:45 am

Today's practice match will be important from the point of view of seeing the make up of the pace bowling unit. who among Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth and Munaf Patel will get the go ahead?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:51 am

to be honest Vijay technically looks a lot better than Mukund.But he doesnt have the grit to fight it out in tough conditions which is much more important than raw natural talent.Mukund showed that he was willing to fight it out in tough conditions in WI.I think he deserves the call up and I think he will do better than what we expect him to do.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:07 am

I think the place of a good looking batting technique is overrated. Had Technique been all, Mark Ramprakash would have been a legend, and Shiv Chanderpaul a nobody. Its about a technique that works for a particular batter. For someone like Sourav Ganguly, because he couldn't play the short ball with a text book technique, he eveolved his own method that worked for him. Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, or Jonathan Trott, England's most productive top 3 in recent times, are not the holders of a textbook technique, and are not the most technicly pleasing batters around in international cricket.
Mukund, just 21, has a first class average of 56.5, and has scored 13 FC hundreds.
I am not saying he'll be a world beater, but he is a good potential, now the challenge for him is to transform potential to eventual output. For that he neds a working, effective technique, and the right temprament to play at the highest level. He has shown promissing signs in the WI series, England will be an even greater challenge.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

i think the indians will be worried with the lack of pace they have in their bowling, cos khan, kumar and patel arent quick, sharma isnt rapid, nither is sreesanth, do india have any rapid bowlers they can call upon for test match cricket?

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think the indians will be worried with the lack of pace they have in their bowling, cos khan, kumar and patel arent quick, sharma isnt rapid, nither is sreesanth, do india have any rapid bowlers they can call upon for test match cricket?
If I'm not mistaken Mohammad Asif bowled at round 78mph last year and was all over England.

Pace is over rated.

And for your information Ishant bowls between 138-145kph. Sreesanth gets up to around 140kph and Zaheer is around 135-140kph.

Don't see any pace in the England side.

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

tremlett, broad, finn, all bowl 85mph plus, most of the time reaching 90

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 15 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

cricketfan90

Just ignore LeBrone's Homie. thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

yh i am he aint got a clue about anything..

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:tremlett, broad, finn, all bowl 85mph plus, most of the time reaching 90
Sorry but Tremlett, Broad and Finn aren't all ways 85mph.

When the beans are flowing maybe.

There are only a handful of 'Fast' in World cricket.

Steyn, Morkel, Johnson, Tait

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

LeBron's Homie wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:tremlett, broad, finn, all bowl 85mph plus, most of the time reaching 90

Broad and Finn are continuing to get faster,both recently hitting 93 MPH. While not being as fast as Steyn and Johnson they certainly don't lack speed with the ball.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:28 pm

Liam_Main wrote:
LeBron's Homie wrote:

Broad and Finn are continuing to get faster,both recently hitting 93 MPH. While not being as fast as Steyn and Johnson they certainly don't lack speed with the ball.
You seem to be missing the point. Bowling fast in T20s and ODIs isn't the same as a Test.

Yes Broad/Finn can be lively in short bursts, but in Tests bowling 20 overs a day do that bowl at such pace?

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

LeBron's Homie wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:
LeBron's Homie wrote:

You seem to be missing the point. Bowling fast in T20s and ODIs isn't the same as a Test.

Yes Broad/Finn can be lively in short bursts, but in Tests bowling 20 overs a day do that bowl at such pace?

Not a 93MPH,no. But can consistently bowl at 85-80 MPH for a full days play.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 6:21 pm

only ishant can bowl 85mph, plus no point mentioning sressanth in this thread as he wont be on the tour

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:21 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:only ishant can bowl 85mph, plus no point mentioning sressanth in this thread as he wont be on the tour
Never heard of 'Sressanth', but Sreesanth is already on the tour.

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:27 pm

alright no need to patronise me with the spelling thing sonic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:59 pm

Pace or not, and relative potenecy compared to steyn aside youre going to look pretty stupid trying to run down the England seam attack vs the Indian one...especially on home wickets. No matter how much you dont want it to be the case, this is a very succesful test bowling unit. That Indias openers are arguably the batting lineups weak point (Sehwag may be out and if he is in his natural game isnt suited to opening in English conditions) makes the toss key.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

bresnan will play in the first test

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat 16 Jul 2011, 10:05 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:bresnan will play in the first test

I wouldn't be to certain on that,quite a few Cricket Pundits think Broad may get the nod to play. He took a fiver for Notts a few days ago so it wouldn't surprise me if they gave Broad another chance, they've gave plenty of other players opportunitys in the past.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBron's Homie Sat 16 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm

Anyone who saw the u19 game earlier on Sky will have noted that Nick Knight stated Bresnan wasn't really in consideration for the Test side as Flower and Strauss are concerned over his dodgy calf.

You can't go into a Test with 4 bowlers, when one bowler ins't certain to last the duration.

LeBron's Homie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:19 am

So broad will get another chance, but if he fails in the first test, then he will go.

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomJ Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:23 am

Absolute joke. What does Finn need to do to get a start? He's far more of a threat than either Broad or Bresnan. Selectors keep dicking him about.

RandomJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:25 am

i wanna see finn in the side as well......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next