The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers?

+20
Hibbz
Bob_the_Job
puligny
goldwolf
gaelgowfer
SportsFanatic
Yadsendew
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
Davie
Diggers
Onetoanother
JPX
JDandfries
super_realist
oldparwin
navyblueshorts
sharrison01
drive4show
legendkillar
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers? - Page 4 Empty Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers?

Post by legendkillar Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

I always like to see fellow Englishmen perform well at all tournaments and not just the Majors. Seeing Westwood come so close at the Masters and Open in 2010 and even the US Open in 2008. That has to be the closest I have seen since the Faldo years. I like watching Donald, Fisher, Rose, Casey, Wilson, Wood all but to name a few. When I watch Poulter I just cringe. I think of all the things he has said in the past. Like saying that when he plays to his potential only he and Tiger would contest titles. Tiger would miss out of the top 5 in this year's Masters, when infact he finished tied for 4th and he finished T27.

He has always talked a good game and seems to fail to deliver so often. At the Ryder Cup in Valhalla in 2008 I thought he was our best player in the Europe team. My question is will he ever deliver the goods at a Major?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers? - Page 4 Empty Re: Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers?

Post by Doon the Water Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:35 pm

Funny how folk like lists?

Did any of the list guys have Clarke on top of thier list to win The Open.

No
Thought so much.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers? - Page 4 Empty Re: Ian Poulter - All mouth no trousers?

Post by Davie Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

oldparwin wrote:I cannot think of another golfer who can divide the golfing community, as much as Poulter does,

Tiger Woods?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

Two things:

1) I'd say he would win one if it was matchplay. I know they are all strokeplay, but the (US)PGA Championship was until the late fifties. I wouldn't mind a matchplay major.

2) Shouldn't the title be 'All mouth, flashy trousers? Wink

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:03 am

oldparwin wrote:Not many thought that Darren Clarke still had a Major in him, when comparing his form over the last 2 years, so in some way Poulter might, some time in the future be in with a chance, but I doubt it very much.

He's only what, 35? And still at the top of the game. I'd be quite surprised if he wasn't at least in the mix in one more major somewhere along the line.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Poulter is only 35, has 11 European Tour wins, 1 PGA tour win (a WGC event) and is ranked 16 in the world (and for those of you that pour scorn on the OWGR...does that mean you don't think Tiger was in the best in the world for years? You can't have it both ways.)

To say with complete certainty that he'll never win a major smacks of crystals balls of some magnitude. That said, statistics are on that side as fewer golfers will have a major on their CV when they retire than those that don't.

Personally I think he's a bit of a t1t, shoots his mouth off a bit more than he should and on occasions still manages to get his foot in it. I don't think he's unique in that, although he does seem to do it more than most other pro golfers. Does that make him a bad golfer? No. Does that make him a bad person? Don't think so. Does that make him good or bad for golf? Well I'd hate to see the game dominated by characterless automatons, but I don't think it really is, so that's not an issue.

Last edited by Bob_the_Job on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo correction!)
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

Nobody is saying he can't win a major , but what's wrong with discussing if you deem it likely?
Personal feelings aside his strokeplay form this year is very poor, certainly among the poorest in the top 50.
Also for a guy who has been in the top 30 for a while his major record isn't great at all. A lot of people remember the Open in 2008 but there's not much else there to suggests wins in any of the other three, especially as despite being a tour member he doesn't have a PGA strokeplay win.
So that's me giving an impartial view on his recent form and the likelihood of him winning a major in the future.
You'd have to say the same for Rose and Casey, all three having pretty poor times this year by and large.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by DMRobo Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

His performance in the 2008 open was a major winning one (had it not been for an inspired harrington).

He may not be the most skilled of the english golfers but i think his attitude makes him as likely as any of them to bag a major.

DMRobo

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

DMRobo wrote:His performance in the 2008 open was a major winning one (had it not been for an inspired harrington).

He may not be the most skilled of the english golfers but i think his attitude makes him as likely as any of them to bag a major.

I also think that if some of the other Brit's had his attitude then they might also be in for a shout at a major!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

If Westwood, Donald etc (players with far more natural ability) had his attitude, then they would probably be a good bet to win a major, sadly it seems some of the other 'Brits' are happy finishing second!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:57 pm

His attitude as far as I can see....and I think Kwini mentioned this....is probably to focus on too many things outside of golf. Obviously there is the clothing range and I believe he's big into property as well.
Not sure this is the attitude I'd want Donald and Westwood to have. I think he sees himself as Ian Poulter Ltd which is fair enough but I'm not sure it's helping his golf right now.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

Time to put this one to bed guys, circular arguments ahoy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

Diggers wrote:His attitude as far as I can see....and I think Kwini mentioned this....is probably to focus on too many things outside of golf. Obviously there is the clothing range and I believe he's big into property as well.
Not sure this is the attitude I'd want Donald and Westwood to have. I think he sees himself as Ian Poulter Ltd which is fair enough but I'm not sure it's helping his golf right now.

I think that you're right with his attitude generally but he does seem like the sort of player than can just produce the goods when he needs it and step up when it counts. I would hate to see Westwood or Donald being distracted by clothing ranges and the like and even more disturbed to see them in Union Jack trousers! Poulter does seem to have a single minded ruthlessness that, although probably doesn't appear enough, is something that some of the other Brits should emulate. Also might explain why his matchplay record is so good...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

As much as the scenario is unliely, if it were a 5 way tie between Poulter, Donald, Casey, Rose and Westwood, with 4 holes to go, I would probably back Poulter.

But as I said it is an unlikely scenario

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

Agreed, he does show that ruthless streak in matchplay but I wouldn't say that has always been the case in recent years in strokeplay , 2008 Open gets mentioned a lot but he has more often fallen away from good positions in majors, the Open was actually the exception.
Anyway the last few posts were in an attempt at constructive criticism (or at least IMO informed opinon) as requested so I've said my bit as Super is bored now.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

He just wants to re-configure the British Isles again...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

Nope, he wants to start an I love Tiger thread.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

I think he is desperate for Poulter to put on a few pounds so he can join in and castigate him

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:28 pm

I went off Poulter completely when he twittered his Phil Taylor tirade after the Sports Personality of the Year which I found terribly disrespectful.

With his attitude and overall arrogance he'd blend perfectly into the England football team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4