The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhys Webb

+10
Shifty
Turkster
jacktaff
HammerofThunor
Breadvan
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
nottins_jones
Luckless Pedestrian
welsh-matfield
14 posters

Go down

Rhys Webb Empty Rhys Webb

Post by welsh-matfield Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm

With the news Rhys Webb is to be fit for the new campaign http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5581.php and coupled with the fact the ospreys have signed Samoan scrum-half Kahn Fotuali'i post Rugby World Cup, Does anyone think Rhys can push on to claim the ospreys number 9 shirt from Kahn in the new campaign and then the welsh shirt further down the line?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Rhys Webb Empty Re: Rhys Webb

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 pm

The number nine jersey should be Rhys Webb's and it should be up to Fotuali'i to take it off him, not the other way 'round.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:The number nine jersey should be Rhys Webb's and it should be up to Fotuali'i to take it off him, not the other way 'round.

yeah dont get me wrong i agree with this but lets face it the ospreys arnt gonna use up there foreign player quota on a bench-warmer!

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm

That's true, unfortunately. I hope Rhys Webb does make the shirt his own. He's looked quality when he's been given the chance.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Well the battle for the 9 jersey will be interesting at least. Kahn looked very smart yesterday as did Stowers and hopefully the young players at the Ospreys will learn all they can from them. Kahn could very well be playing outside Webb if Biggar doesn't step it up.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:48 pm

I agree with LP, surely Webb must be their first choice No9. No disrespect to Kahn as have not seen him play but he's not exactly the block busting money spinning signing like Marshall was and I doubt the O's will seel many extra season tickets on the back of his signature.

Webb should start as first choice until disposed by someone better.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Because Kahn costs less this makes him an inferior player to Marshall? Smart signing along with Stowers imo, within the budget, experienced international players who have played very well for previous clubs. English and French clubs pick up these signings all the time and they blend in well with often devistating results. (see Mapasua, Tagi... at London Irish and and PI players at any French club)

Agree that Webb is first choice though.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 pm

I would Imagine Webb to be the starting nine for the Ospreys next season, he was on superb form this year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:10 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Because Kahn costs less this makes him an inferior player to Marshall? Smart signing along with Stowers imo, within the budget, experienced international players who have played very well for previous clubs. English and French clubs pick up these signings all the time and they blend in well with often devistating results. (see Mapasua, Tagi... at London Irish and and PI players at any French club)

nottins,

Not at all but I feel sometimes that when big name players are signed such as Marshall then coahces feel obliged to pick them as to justify the expenditure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:13 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
nottins_jones wrote:Because Kahn costs less this makes him an inferior player to Marshall? Smart signing along with Stowers imo, within the budget, experienced international players who have played very well for previous clubs. English and French clubs pick up these signings all the time and they blend in well with often devistating results. (see Mapasua, Tagi... at London Irish and and PI players at any French club)

nottins,

Not at all but I feel sometimes that when big name players are signed such as Marshall then coahces feel obliged to pick them as to justify the expenditure.

Marshall did well for the Ospreys, remember the Blues vs Ospreys battle between a young Mike Phillips and Justin Marshall prior to Phillips signing for the O's.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm quite looking forward to the SH's at the Lib this season. Webb free of the Phillips shadow and then kahn eager to prove himself.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm

can webb claim the welsh jersey?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:28 pm

The best one will play. Having someone on the bench pushing Webb isn't a waste. They should be pushing each other to get the best out of both. Some people seem to be of the opinion your bench should be obviously weaker than you're starting 15. Your 22/23 need to be about the same level and ideally others pushing around the fringes to get in. This allows some squad rotation without introducing weakness so that the players stay fresh and fit.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

nottins,

Marshall did well for the Ospreys, remember the Blues vs Ospreys battle between a young Mike Phillips and Justin Marshall prior to Phillips signing for the O's.

Yes. Phillips got completely owned in that game. didn't they have a bit of a bust-up on their way in at half time?

MArshall had a lot of sub-par performances at the Liberty (IMO) but that was one of his best (IMO)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

welsh-matfield wrote:can webb claim the welsh jersey?

I see no reason why not. I've seen more of Tavis Knoyle and less of Lloyd Williams but Rhys Webb's the most exciting of the three for me. Gareth Davies at the Scarlets could be some player too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:58 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:

I see no reason why not. I've seen more of Tavis Knoyle and less of Lloyd Williams but Rhys Webb's the most exciting of the three for me. Gareth Davies at the Scarlets could be some player too.

Lloyd Williams is definitely a keeper. Seen little of him because he's relatively new and has suffered with a few injury set-backs; but he's been very impressive in these few performances and has great potential. Just a guess but he has to be a Whitchurch High school lad? Webb's more than capable if he carries on the form that seen him keep Phillips on the bench for the remainder of last season. Plus if Knoyle can get into the squad than any scrum half can, even Gareth Cooper.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 pm

He's a Cowbridge Comprehensive lad, not Whitchurch... I weren't far off though.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by jacktaff Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 pm

It seems people are forgetting that Khan plays 10 as well.

jacktaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm

jacktaff wrote:It seems people are forgetting that Khan plays 10 as well.

did you stop reading at the 4th post in this thread? you may have found the 5th making your exact point. Erm

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Add Jonathon Evans at the Dragons to that list too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Add Jonathon Evans at the Dragons to that list too
Aled davies had been called outstanding by the scarlet fever forum before his injury

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Kahn Fotuali'i has signed a 2 season deal, and will be away for the World Cup. Webb is only 22 so I assume their going to have Kahn there while they bring Webb on. Also a scrum half is always on the sub bench so it's likely both of them will play in most games. There will be plenty of oppertunities for both.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Should be in the squad with Williams and Phillips.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Agree, he can't be as bad as Knoyle his two last Welsh performances have been very poor throwing passes around a second row's feet on the charge kills momentum (Ryan), amazingly the passes were taken no thanks to Knoyle, he should play for Llanelli but I am not sure he is good enough!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:14 pm

I thought Knoyle looked good when he came on yesterday, adding a bit of physicality and drive. Yes he threw one poor pass but Lloyd Williams threw a number of poor passes and generally had a difficult afternoon behing a beaten pack.

Webb looked very good indeed for the Ospreys last night but he is currently behing Fotuali in the pecking order and realisticly needs to win the shirt at his club before he is considered for his country.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Fotuali is only first choice because the Ospreys are paying him more, he has not earned the shirt he has only played one half of one game at regional standard, Webb has been much better. I counted Knoyle threw two low passes to R Jones and one to Biggar, he was poor as was Williams slow service getting the ball away, there is little point in a fast pass if you are taking a step to wind up.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I still thought Knoyle improved the side when he came on and I only remember one poor pass from him. And yes I agree Williams was taking a step and winding up his pass resulting in the backs getting poor ball.

As for Fotuali being picked over Webb for the important games only because he is being payed more!!!!!!! I don't think I need to add anything to that argument.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Seagulf - I would agree with your views on the scrum halves, however I do think that could be due to knowing the player better. I think Williams was pretty below par during the match. He is meant to be the fast option for us at scrum half, yet he made a number of poor decisions (that charged down kick). I wouldn't mind seeing Webb given another chance with Wales, expecially if Gatland is seriously considering Biggar as a fly half option. Half backs tend to work better together the more time they get playing together, so Webb and Biggar together may well be an option with Knoyle and Priestland as another option (and Lloyd Williams and Henson, if he ever pulls on a Blues shirt).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down