The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Super League stars head South?

+2
Pal Joey
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

Will Super League stars head South? Empty Will Super League stars head South?

Post by Adam D Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Well Hulls Agar thinks so:

Hull coach Richard Agar admits top Super League players will increasingly be tempted to head for Australia's NRL.

A worsening exchange rate between the dollar and the pound and a big hike in the NRL salary cap has already virtually signalled the end of big-name signings from Down Under.

Top Australian stars Trent Barrett, Matt King, Steve Renouf, Greg Bird, Willie Mason and Danny Buderus have all joined Super League clubs in recent seasons, but the flow of top stars heading north looks to be drying up.

"Australian clubs simply can pay a lot more money," admitted Agar, whose acquisition for 2012 of Aaron Heremaia, Brett Seymour and Wade McKinnon has not exactly created the same level of interest generated by the club's capture of Mark O'Meley, Craig Fitzgibbon and Shaun Berrigan.

"The players I've got have a genuine desire to come over here. We feel we've done OK this time round but it is getting harder. The pool is getting smaller."

St Helens' signing of Lance Hohaia could be an exception to the new rule but they have a big hole to fill following the decision of England prop James Graham to try his luck in the NRL.

"The bigger concern for our game is not going to be recruiting Australians, I reckon it's actually going to be hanging on to our own elite players. If they have a desire to test themselves in the NRL and change their lifestyle and earn more money, it can be appealing. "
Richard Agar

Graham has clearly been tempted by the success of his international team-mates Gareth Ellis, Gareth Widdop and Sam Burgess in Australia and Agar is worried that he could set a trend.

"The bigger concern for our game is not going to be recruiting Australians, I reckon it's actually going to be hanging on to our own elite players," Agar added.

"If they have a desire to test themselves in the NRL and change their lifestyle and earn more money, it can be appealing given the success that Sam Burgess, Gareth Widdop and Gareth Ellis are having.

"If a player is due a testimonial - and James Graham is a perfect example - pretty much that can get covered in a three or four-year contract by going to the NRL."

source and link to story: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12198_7021821,00.html

So do you think he is right? Will the money be too much for our top stars?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Will Super League stars head South? Empty Re: Will Super League stars head South?

Post by Pal Joey Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:27 pm

It's funny how the reverse used to be true (in James Graham's case) with NRL players making a beeline to SL to reap the rewards from a stronger pound v dollar. We are in interesting times with the dollar gathering strength and we must have reached (or passed) that point where it is now more lucrative to play in the NRL.

I had the feeling that from about the mid '00s more Australian players were heading north, not just those in the twilight of their careers but younger players like Jarrod Sammut, Patrick Ah Van (NZ), Brett Delaney, etc.

Then we saw more SL players starting to arrive here (from around 2007/8? with Ellis, then Widdop and the Burgess brothers) and now the exodus seems to be building even more momentum. While there could be an adverse affect on the international flavour of the SL... it could well prove beneficial when they pull on the GB jersey having played in the NRL for a number of years.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Will Super League stars head South? Empty Re: Will Super League stars head South?

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Hobo wrote:Well Hulls Agar thinks so:

Hull coach Richard Agar admits top Super League players will increasingly be tempted to head for Australia's NRL.

A worsening exchange rate between the dollar and the pound and a big hike in the NRL salary cap has already virtually signalled the end of big-name signings from Down Under.

Top Australian stars Trent Barrett, Matt King, Steve Renouf, Greg Bird, Willie Mason and Danny Buderus have all joined Super League clubs in recent seasons, but the flow of top stars heading north looks to be drying up.

"Australian clubs simply can pay a lot more money," admitted Agar, whose acquisition for 2012 of Aaron Heremaia, Brett Seymour and Wade McKinnon has not exactly created the same level of interest generated by the club's capture of Mark O'Meley, Craig Fitzgibbon and Shaun Berrigan.

"The players I've got have a genuine desire to come over here. We feel we've done OK this time round but it is getting harder. The pool is getting smaller."

St Helens' signing of Lance Hohaia could be an exception to the new rule but they have a big hole to fill following the decision of England prop James Graham to try his luck in the NRL.

"The bigger concern for our game is not going to be recruiting Australians, I reckon it's actually going to be hanging on to our own elite players. If they have a desire to test themselves in the NRL and change their lifestyle and earn more money, it can be appealing. "
Richard Agar

Graham has clearly been tempted by the success of his international team-mates Gareth Ellis, Gareth Widdop and Sam Burgess in Australia and Agar is worried that he could set a trend.

"The bigger concern for our game is not going to be recruiting Australians, I reckon it's actually going to be hanging on to our own elite players," Agar added.

"If they have a desire to test themselves in the NRL and change their lifestyle and earn more money, it can be appealing given the success that Sam Burgess, Gareth Widdop and Gareth Ellis are having.

"If a player is due a testimonial - and James Graham is a perfect example - pretty much that can get covered in a three or four-year contract by going to the NRL."

source and link to story: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12198_7021821,00.html

Now surely some clubs have to realise that they must start to develop their own talent and stop bring in has been and never was players from the NRL.
The likes of Leeds , Saints and Wigan will survive as they have good junior talent systems. the likes of Hull KR and Salford, and Wakefield (if they survive in Super League) will struggle.
The clubs will have to wake up to the fact that there is a chance they might lose some decent British players to the NRL, and that less Aussie's and Kiwi's will be coming here. Junior development is the future of Rugby League.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:50 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:
Hobo wrote:Well Hulls Agar thinks so:

Richard Agar

Now surely some clubs have to realise that they must start to develop their own talent and stop bring in has been and never was players from the NRL.
The likes of Leeds , Saints and Wigan will survive as they have good junior talent systems. the likes of Hull KR and Salford, and Wakefield (if they survive in Super League) will struggle.
The clubs will have to wake up to the fact that there is a chance they might lose some decent British players to the NRL, and that less Aussie's and Kiwi's will be coming here. Junior development is the future of Rugby League.

Cant speak for other clubs but Hull KR do have a some good reserve/youth players coming through , i watch a lot of this level rugby and think given the chance they could become super league quality.
imo and i have voiced this at supporters nights Rovers are not giving enough youth the chance to get to the 1st team squad and this has to change .
This needs to be addressed at coach and boardroom level .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:44 am

The more our top youngsters play in the NRL, the sooner GB * can improve and challenge in the international game, the question we then have to ask is, do we prefer as strong an international side as possible, or do we want our clubs to be a strong as possible?

* Or England/Scotland/Wales if we persist with the ridiculous idea of having individual countries playing RL, when we all know that players jump ship to the strongest side whenever they the get chance to.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by BicesterWarrior Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 am

I'm not sure because if you look at the best English players who aren't already there who could play in NRL?

James Roby; wont go.

Sam Tomkins; signed 4 yr deal and how good would he be in NRL when he wouldn't get as much space and awful tackling as he does in SL?

Michael Shenton; tough defender and shown some attacking prowess when playing against Oz/NZ. Seems to have gone backwards at Stains.

Luke Robinson; best player we had in last years 4Nations but ppl say he can't defend.

Tom Briscoe; to light weight and would have to wait till he leaves school!

Other than that I don't see anyone else good enough, also think English SL stars are to comfortable being the big fish; scared of the challenge too IMO.

BicesterWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 am

BicesterWarrior wrote:I'm not sure because if you look at the best English players who aren't already there who could play in NRL?

James Roby; wont go.

Sam Tomkins; signed 4 yr deal and how good would he be in NRL when he wouldn't get as much space and awful tackling as he does in SL?

Michael Shenton; tough defender and shown some attacking prowess when playing against Oz/NZ. Seems to have gone backwards at Stains.

Luke Robinson; best player we had in last years 4Nations but ppl say he can't defend.

Tom Briscoe; to light weight and would have to wait till he leaves school!

Other than that I don't see anyone else good enough, also think English SL stars are to comfortable being the big fish; scared of the challenge too IMO.
I think given a little time the players you mention with the exception of Roby who won't go, could hold down a regular place in most NRL sides.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down