The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tennis Moments................

+4
noleisthebest
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
legendkillar
8 posters

Go down

Tennis Moments................ Empty Tennis Moments................

Post by legendkillar Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 pm

We have all had them. Those tennis moments that provoke a reaction in all of us.

Tennis Moment That Made Me Laugh - Marat Safin French Open 2004. Safin played Felix Mantilla. Safin wins a point in the 5th set and to show his pleasure for winning the point drops his pants. Has to be the most random thing I have ever seen.

Tennis Moment That Made Me Smile - Novak Djokovic and John McEnroe US Open 2009. Djokovic came through a match with Stepanek to reach the Quarter Finals and does an impression of Big Mac....Then....Out comes the man and they have a hit about. I saw it live and thought it was fabulous. For those who never saw it here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8gbgse0WsY

Tennis Moment That Left Me Speechless - Roger Federer saves a match point against Nadal at Wimbledon 2008. I remember Nadal was serving for the match and Federer hit a Backhand down the line which just left me like OMG did he just play that.

Tennis Moment That Made Me Cry - Andre Agassi's Farewell Speech US Open 2006. Need I say more. It was an amazing emotional moment.

Tennis Moment That Left Me Shocked - Andy Murray defeats Radek Stepanek at Wimbledon 2005. What a breakthrough moment it was for tennis. Was tennis perfection and it had been a while since I saw such a performance by a British tennis player.

Tennis Moment That Left Me Down - Tim Henman Wimbledon 2001. After going 2 sets to 1 up against Ivanisevic. Rain comes and before we know it, Goran breaks British hearts by eliminating Henman in 5.

Tennis Moment I Will Never Forget - Roger Federer v Pete Sampras Wimbledon 2001. Say no more.

What are yours guys?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Tennis Moments................ Empty Re: Tennis Moments................

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 pm

So many to recall, but a newpaper report of Connors beating Patrick McEnroe from 2 sets and a break down, at the US Open 1991 at the age of 38 or 39, came up with a truly memorable line to describe Connors' passing shots - "threading thunder through a needle's eye"

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Got to say as a Novak fan one of my favorite moments just happened at wimbeldon when he beat Nadal for the championship. Really a huge career validating moment. Have to agree with Agassi's speech when he lost the final to roger was very heart warming and entertaining. Julius, that entire connors run to the semis was incredible. Not only the Pat Mac match, but Aaron krickstein his banter with the crowd and officials was hilarious.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 pm

socal, it was before I got cable TV (I'm in the UK) and pre-internet so I had to rely on newspaper reports and for the 1/4's and semis Connors made it onto the news bulletins on TV.
I heard that Sting was playing a concert in NYC on the night of the Krickstein match and before the first song he walked on and announced "Connors just won the 2nd set".

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Everything aside, for me, one of the most memorable scenes is
trophy presentation at AO 2009. You can write a novel there...sweat and tears...desire and pain....it was truly beautiful...

On a personal level, has to be me leaving Wimbledon in tears hearing the crowds cheer the players entering the court. By the time Novak won, I had forgotten it all and mixed/drowned my tears and happiness all in three mega glasses of bubbly....LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:53 am

Tennis moment that left me feeling sorriest for a player:

2nd: Andy Roddick having to endure the "15" celebrations for Federer after just losing a match for one break of serve, having blown the 2nd set and knowing that was probably his last great chance at the title.

1st: Ivan lendl having to sit there after losing Wimbledon while Pat Cash made his gigantically self-indulgent escapade up to his Dad. Yes, he was emotional but it showed no regard to his opponent who was seeing his Holy Grail slip away.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 am

The best moment for me has to be when Fed got his first French Open. I cried with him Smile

The moment that left me speechless is when Fed beat Hewitt in USO 04 - two bagel sets. Thats when I realised that this guy is clearly a notch better than Sampras, whom I considered the best player till then.

The most disappointing was Fed's loss to Nadal in AO 09 - I still dont understand how he lost that first set and the final set while one of the sets that he won was where his serve and forehand had gone completly hay-wire - was a bizzare match for me. Fifth set was heartbreaking.

Moment that made me smile was Graf's 'how much money you make' moment - how did she think of that Cool

Most irritating moments for me have been the ladies matches featuring Sharapova or Schiavone before men's matches - they go on and on for hours. I just want them to hold their serves while serving for the match and they would invariably double-fault furious

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:1st: Ivan lendl having to sit there after losing Wimbledon while Pat Cash made his gigantically self-indulgent escapade up to his Dad. Yes, he was emotional but it showed no regard to his opponent who was seeing his Holy Grail slip away.

Cash was probably quite pleased to p*ss Lendl off, given their history.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:59 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
bogbrush wrote:1st: Ivan lendl having to sit there after losing Wimbledon while Pat Cash made his gigantically self-indulgent escapade up to his Dad. Yes, he was emotional but it showed no regard to his opponent who was seeing his Holy Grail slip away.

Cash was probably quite pleased to p*ss Lendl off, given their history.

Probably; I always laughed at the time Ivan saved the mp against Cash in the US Open semi and Cash (who'd been celebrating like mad before) got upset when Lendl celebrated winning the point from a very bad situation in the rally.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Can you imagine internet fan wars if the players carried on like they used to...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah, Nole the guys now are much more gentlemanly and not as brash as the 80s players. The players of that time kind of reflected the greed and self indulgence of their era, they were more controversial and brought a lot of personality to the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I remember not liking Lendl much, he played boring tennis to me then, plus he NEVER smiled...strangely, now he looks really cool to me Whistle

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 pm

So many great moments and sad ones too - it is never easy to see the drained look of the defeated after a gruelling epic final - it's a gladitorial sport.

I can't really chose loads because I wouldn't know where to begin or when to stop, so I'll just settle for two really emotional recent ones because, well...just because:

Fed finally winning RG, after nearly going out to Tommy Haas and then Del Potro (I had to go out for a spell in both matches) and nearly choking in the last game of the final when the elusive trophy was just within reach. To equal Sampras' 14 after two weeks of some of his gutsiest, not best, tennis and with the slam that he had been so near to 3 times before, and yet so far away, was v special. I think a lot of Fed fans shed tears of joy and relief with him that day - even sweeter after his meltdown at AO.

And then, same year, poor Roddick! I agree with you totally bogbrush - as a Fed fan of course I was delighted to see him win the 15th, but such an epic serving battle in the fifth, and Roddick played so well - heartbreaking to see him lose to Fed again. If only they could both have walked away as champion that day - I was delighted for one, and so gutted for the other - don't ever remember feeling so torn about a match before or since not even when poor Andy M lost to Fed at AO 2010 - felt and feel that time was on his side, I guess in that rivalry.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:20 am

One of the funniest moments was Connor's marching through the US open officials and tournament in his miracle run. He was just flat messing with everyone's head and using sheer competiveness, gamesmanship, and heart to beat his opposition. His famous speech to the umpire, went something I am 40 years old and killing myself out here and I get calls like that? The New york crowd wanted to lynch the poor guy. And then the next minute he would be joking and laughing with the fans.

Also another funny moment was Mac going ballistic on the orange power drink. As a Novak fan have to say this year has been special from start to finish. One of the ballsiest things I have seen is Pete throwing up in his semi against Corteja in a legendary US open battle in the fifth set and still coming back to win. That is what a player breaking down from lack of fitness looks like.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Tennis Moments................ Empty US Open Tennis 2011

Post by altiusdirectory Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 am

For more info related US Open Tennis 2011, Schedule, Prize Money and many more visit altiusdirtectory.com

altiusdirectory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down