The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims.

+8
Imperial Ghosty
Young_Towzer
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Scottrf
Union Cane
eddyfightfan
Super D Boon
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims. Empty Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Just hoping this isn't the start of an argument that will be finished in the ring. With Warren however I wouldn't be surprised. This fight would sell in Scotland because of the East vs West rivalry and Warren would know that. This is worrying.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/07/alex-arthur-furious-at-burns-and-nelson.html
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims. Empty Re: Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims.

Post by Super D Boon Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

Burns has got nowehere to go except for fighting gimmies for the WBO. The two japanese have got control of the division and won't leave Japan. Getting a result out there would be like climbing everest backwards.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims. Empty Re: Arthur furious at Burns and Nelson cut throat claims.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

In Japan they don't recognise the WBO so Burns has nothing to offer them. Arthur has had serious trouble making SFW but I wouldn't be surprised if he could do it for one last shot at a World title and a decent pay day. Maybe even a catch weight. It's purely speculation but I don't think it would be a huge shock.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

think this is just a hype job attemped for another "grudge match" that warren seems to use to sell his fights as of late. they will use the excuse that he wants revenge for the defeat as an excuse to keep burns in the uk a little longer before he actually has to go looking for a challenge.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

Eddy it's all their and it would sell up here. Would need to be held in Glasgow though. Burns the champ with home advantage and Glasgow has the better venue and better boxing fan base although it isn't great.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

No appeal whatsoever outside of Scotland.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

Union Cane wrote:No appeal whatsoever outside of the Burns/Arthur camps.
Fixed.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

thumbsup
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

im worried another mediorce defence for burns and he will get used to fighting the 2nd tier fighters he has been, and will come unstuck as soon as he has a decent challenge. he needs pushing and testing and to get into some wars. he's been treated like a upcoming domestic prospect instead of world champion. frank warren strikes again. i'd love to see him under freddie roach or someone like that.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

Union Cane wrote:No appeal whatsoever outside of Scotland.

Sky would show it. It's a World title fight with a grudge which is easy to get people interested given they have fought once before.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 20 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

prettyboykev wrote:In Japan they don't recognise the WBO so Burns has nothing to offer them. Arthur has had serious trouble making SFW but I wouldn't be surprised if he could do it for one last shot at a World title and a decent pay day. Maybe even a catch weight. It's purely speculation but I don't think it would be a huge shock.

They also don't recognise the need to travel to fight decent competition either. They make the Germans look like Air Miles junkies.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:In Japan they don't recognise the WBO so Burns has nothing to offer them. Arthur has had serious trouble making SFW but I wouldn't be surprised if he could do it for one last shot at a World title and a decent pay day. Maybe even a catch weight. It's purely speculation but I don't think it would be a huge shock.

They also don't recognise the need to travel to fight decent competition either. They make the Germans look like Air Miles junkies.

True. Wouldn't be a good move for Burns regardless of the title situation. He doesn't carry the power to stop anyone.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

unless theyve got a bad back...

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

Apprantly they now recognise the WBO, but not the IBF

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Chhers sort of rules them out a decent fight then. Mendez is fighting someone for that vacant starp and looks like he will face either Broner or Magdaleno. Probably Broner he's with GBP.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about this, If Burns moves up to lightweight it will be to fight Kevin Mitchell you would think, especially as Marquez will be stripped by the WBO, it will be at least a year since he's defended the title after the Pacquiao fight, win lose or draw.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

Burns won't move up to lightweight. He will milk everything he can get out of being a World champion. He isn't good enough to be a World champion at lightweight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:46 pm

I've not heard that, off the top of my head can't think of any japanese fighter who's fought for either title

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

Yeah, I think when Montiel and Hasegawa fought their unification bout, they recognised Montiel's WBO belt as a world title.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:

Yeah, I think when Montiel and Hasegawa fought their unification bout, they recognised Montiel's WBO belt as a world title.

In terms of Burns it's irrelevant really their is no way old fish eyes would send him to Japan. Just got a reply from Arthur on twitter and he said it's nonsense his 9 year old son couldn't make super feather weight never mind him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

It wasn't a unification fight, only Hasegawas WBC title was on the line

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:It wasn't a unification fight, only Hasegawas WBC title was on the line

I stand corrected, but I thought Montiel was parading his title into the ring?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

He would have done and fairly sure were he to have lost he would have lost his title but Hasegawa wouldn't have claimed it

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

I think Burns gets an hard time myself, he absolutely takes to school a dangerous and able champion in every department, and i agree the 3 defences he's made havent been worthy opponents, but neither have Tavoris Cloud' to name one, he doesn't pick his fights, his promoter does and he's a good fighter, he won the title in a barnburner, and wants a unification fight, he has said numerous times.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:I think Burns gets an hard time myself, he absolutely takes to school a dangerous and able champion in every department, and i agree the 3 defences he's made havent been worthy opponents, but neither have Tavoris Cloud' to name one, he doesn't pick his fights, his promoter does and he's a good fighter, he won the title in a barnburner, and wants a unification fight, he has said numerous times.

I don't think anyone is debating most of that but then again you wrote it so they probably will. Wink

I like Ricky have met him a couple of times his girlfriend is mates cousin. I can see the Arthur fight happening it would be a big fight up here.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:59 pm

One thing I don't believe is Arthur would do the cut throat gesture to Ricky he is a very religious guy and has a lot of respect for Ricky.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:I think Burns gets an hard time myself, he absolutely takes to school a dangerous and able champion in every department, and i agree the 3 defences he's made havent been worthy opponents, but neither have Tavoris Cloud' to name one, he doesn't pick his fights, his promoter does and he's a good fighter, he won the title in a barnburner, and wants a unification fight, he has said numerous times.

I don't think anyone is debating most of that but then again you wrote it so they probably will. Wink

I like Ricky have met him a couple of times his girlfriend is mates cousin. I can see the Arthur fight happening it would be a big fight up here.
They disagree with me because i say it kev, not to worry mate, he comes across as one of the most down to earth guys in the sport. His trainer seems a good bloke as well, the way he said good luck to Mitchell when he come out was a nice touch, they have done brilliantly, Burns for winning the title and Nelson for turning him into a front and back foot fighter instead of a plain back foot fighter with skills.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

prettyboykev wrote:One thing I don't believe is Arthur would do the cut throat gesture to Ricky he is a very religious guy and has a lot of respect for Ricky.
Me neither, gentleman, terrific guy Arthur, met him at the Khan v Prescott fight at the weigh in.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:One thing I don't believe is Arthur would do the cut throat gesture to Ricky he is a very religious guy and has a lot of respect for Ricky.
Me neither, gentleman, terrific guy Arthur, met him at the Khan v Prescott fight at the weigh in.

He's a top guy does a lot of charity work for a kids hospital up here his son was in for a while and so was mine. At different times but he was always doing a bit of fundraising for the place and putting dinners on for the place.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:26 pm

It's your over exaggeration that people take exception to Towzer, you describe Burns as taking Martinez to school which isn't a true reflection of the fight, he won comfortably enough but was by no means a schooling. Had it 115-112 myself.

Last edited by Imperial Ghosty on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

I've watched it at least 4 times and have it about 3 or 4 rounds to Burns. Not a schooling but not what was expected especially after the first round knock down.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:48 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:It's your over exaggeration that people take exception to Towzer, you describe Burns as taking Martinez to school which isn't a true reflection of the fight, he won comfortably enough but was by no means a schooling. Had it 115-112 myself.
It's because i say it imo and obviously kev's as well. It doesn't bother me anyway, i wouldn't dream of saying things to please people, Burns battered him, he could of stopped him if he'd had a tad more pop, Watt, McGuigan must also 'exaggerate' as well, because they said Burns schooled him which imo he did.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:51 pm

"Why would I be urging the Englishman to win it? It doesn't make sense. I am angry about this," Arthur explained.

------

A man after my own heart Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:54 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:It's your over exaggeration that people take exception to Towzer, you describe Burns as taking Martinez to school which isn't a true reflection of the fight, he won comfortably enough but was by no means a schooling. Had it 115-112 myself.
It's because i say it imo and obviously kev's as well. It doesn't bother me anyway, i wouldn't dream of saying things to please people, Burns battered him, he could of stopped him if he'd had a tad more pop, Watt, McGuigan must also 'exaggerate' as well, because they said Burns schooled him which imo he did.

So a schooling is a 115-112 decision then?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:

So a schooling is a 115-112 decision then?
Burns beat him to the punch, pushed him back, apart from the 1st round bossed the fight imo yes it does, deal with it.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

I hope it isnt true though. Dont give a flying about the slit-throat gesture thats all part of the fun. I hope though Alex Arthur isnt a traitor and has become an Uncle Jock

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

Just wanted to clear that up because every fight seems to be either a schooling or battering

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

A schooling is a fight where a boxer loses by 2 or more rounds.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

Steffan wrote:I hope it isnt true though. Dont give a flying about the slit-throat gesture thats all part of the fun. I hope though Alex Arthur isnt a traitor and has become an Uncle Jock

Arthur was supporting Ricky he was tweeting before the fight. I got a tweet from him talking about the fight and he was supporting Ricky. As for the throat slit gesture I just don't believe it. Like I said Arthur is a very religious guy and that isn't the sort of thing he would do.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

Good to have the confusion cleared up, thanks Scott

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:05 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Steffan wrote:I hope it isnt true though. Dont give a flying about the slit-throat gesture thats all part of the fun. I hope though Alex Arthur isnt a traitor and has become an Uncle Jock

Arthur was supporting Ricky he was tweeting before the fight. I got a tweet from him talking about the fight and he was supporting Ricky. As for the throat slit gesture I just don't believe it. Like I said Arthur is a very religious guy and that isn't the sort of thing he would do.

Religious or not a Scotsman cheering on an Englishman competing against a fellow Scot is a pretty sick thing to do so I doubt very much he would of anyway but thanks for clearing it up with the tweeting thing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:07 pm

Well now, this is nice.

Little spat brewing and, just to cap it off, Steffan seems to have fallen off the wagon with the anti - British stuff.

Haven't the time, patience, inclination, goodwill, stamina, humanity or anything else for wiping backsides and editing, so any misdemeanours, pushing of the envelope, raising of my blood pressure, spoiling of my Horlicks, will be dealt with by means of oh so sweet and deadly deletions.

The keys to the cooler are jangling on my chain, and I'm contemplating one of my very rare visits to Power World. Don't cry ' foul ' when Windy loses his rag. You have been warned.

In short, do an old man a favour and play nicely.

Thank you so much.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:10 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Well now, this is nice.

Little spat brewing and, just to cap it off, Steffan seems to have fallen off the wagon with the anti - British stuff.

Haven't the time, patience, inclination, goodwill, stamina, humanity or anything else for wiping backsides and editing, so any misdemeanours, pushing of the envelope, raising of my blood pressure, spoiling of my Horlicks, will be dealt with by means of oh so sweet and deadly deletions.

The keys to the cooler are jangling on my chain, and I'm contemplating one of my very rare visits to Power World. Don't cry ' foul ' when Windy loses his rag. You have been warned.

In short, do an old man a favour and play nicely.

Thank you so much.

Power World laughing
Nah come on guys, Windy's venturing past his usual 8PM bedtime, so steffan if you want to play the patriotic welsh man stroke brit hate guy go on eastside or boxingscene.com.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

Sorry its been a long day Windy. If Burns and Arthur fought again then I think Ricky would win the fight easy. And yes Sky would show it as it couldnt be any worse than the Cook fight lets be honest

I would say a Schooling is when you lose by over 6 rounds

Towzer, eastside or boxingscene wont have me mate Wink

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
Nah come on guys, Windy's venturing past his usual 8PM bedtime, so steffan if you want to play the patriotic welsh man stroke brit hate guy go on eastside or boxingscene.com.

You're a cheeky sod, Steven, but you're not far wrong. Very Happy

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

Steffan wrote:Sorry its been a long day Windy. If Burns and Arthur fought again then I think Ricky would win the fight easy. And yes Sky would show it as it couldnt be any worse than the Cook fight lets be honest

I would say a Schooling is when you lose by over 6 rounds

Towzer, eastside or boxingscene wont have me mate Wink

No probs, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:17 pm

Steffan wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Religious or not a Scotsman cheering on an Englishman competing against a fellow Scot is a pretty sick thing to do so I doubt very much he would of anyway but thanks for clearing it up with the tweeting thing

Not trying to wind up Windy here or anything but I would agree with this. Lucky Arthur is a good Scotsman and more to the point was probably well aware that a fight with Ricky is a possibility for him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:20 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Not trying to wind up Windy here or anything but I would agree with this. Lucky Arthur is a good Scotsman and more to the point was probably well aware that a fight with Ricky is a possibility for him.

Of course you aren't, kev. You're just one of those ' Bhoys ' of the green and white hoops. Long live Jimmy Johnstone, Bobby Murdoch and Jock Stein, I say.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:23 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Of course you aren't, kev. You're just one of those ' Bhoys ' of the green and white hoops. Long live Jimmy Johnstone, Bobby Murdoch and Jock Stein, I say.

Quite right Windy and I'm impressed with your knowledge of the glory days of the hoops.
I think he would have been supporting Ricky because he knows this could be in the near future.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Funny enough my team Cardiff City are playing Celtic in a friendly tonight. I was gonna go but decided to play golf instead. Half way through my round of golf I was wishing id gone to the game. £15 mind. Was a 5iver back the old days for a pre-season

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next