The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro !

+9
sportslover
droogle
JuliusHMarx
Jeremy_Kyle
hawkeye
luciusmann
bogbrush
socal1976
noleisthebest
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro ! - Page 2 Empty Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro !

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Before all Federer fans jump at my throat, have a look at this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9k5WqxVa4

I would like to believe that most of us here are foremost tennis fans and as such are delighted to have the opportunity to witness an accomplished tennis prodigy, someone special:

Novak Djokovic is playing champion's tennis this year: very pleasing attacking , aggressive style full of flair and deft touch. His forehand is a weapon, and his backhand a thing of exquisite beauty, his return is his opponents' nightmare, and his serve a reliable tool which enables him to play confidently.

Novak IS a Djoker and an entertainer in his heart, so he uses every opportunity to thrill the crowd, I particularly enjoyed his match against Tsonga at Wimbledon this year: both had their hearts in the right place!

What's there not to like?

I gather that there are a lot of hard-core fans of other players around the world, but surely, when you see somebody else play so well (and we may not have such a talented generation for a long time), you have to pause and admire and enjoy their tennis.

Journalists around the world however are still late and begrudgingly recognising and praising the talent and game of Novak Djokovic.

Why? I have a few ideas, but won't go into them, as this is not about them: they are paid to write...

For me personally, the most astounding fact is that both journalists and fans (not all) still think that Novak Djokovic is a fluke, an impostor who is depriving tennis world Nadal and Federer slam finals .

The guy has won 48 matches and lost only one this year (and all things being equal, will continue his stellar season in similar fashion), something neither Federer or Nadal have ever achieved, and yet, that kind of doesn't register, as if all Novak Djokovic has done this year is a very bad dream we all need to wake up from.

Why? Here, too I have a few ideas, but I'd let you answer the question....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro !

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:53 pm

"Was shocked by the picture Tipsarevic posted on twitter with the gun. Not funny at all."

I haven't seen it (not a huge Twitter fan), and especially not a fan of Tipasarevic....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Novak Djokovic: The New Maestro !

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Just saw the photo in somebody's tennis.com post, tipsarevic is an utter moron!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Socal, dont love or hate Roger for fans like us - we are crazy, make your own opinion:)
Coming back to your point on Novak, my only contention was the use of 'maestro' and 'phenomenon' for him - to me, he hardly looks like anything close to being a true great to resort to use such heavy words to describe him. His movement is exemplary now but sorry, to me, nothing about his game is exceptional except for his return of serves.

I was watching Monfils, Simon and Youzhny in Germany and I could cerate a video like this for Monfils based on only his play yesterday (though he lost). Nitb, you call Novak an aggressive player - wow, even I find it difficult to use that word for Federer and Federer looks like atleast 10 times more aggressive than Novak on a neutral ball. How is Novak aggressive when he cant volley, serve is not exactly his strongest point and has built his game around defense and in clutch situations, falls back on his physical attributes viz flexibility, movement etc to keep the ball in play and patiently wait for the open court. I have rarely seen him attack a neutral ball on break-points - have you, really?

I am not convinced and that may be my problem but I just cant see him dominating for long and heck, not even in the current US swing. If proven wrong, I will take a long hard look at what I missed understanding in the guy's game but till then, sorry, he doesnt look like the best tennis player yet and nothing which a hard-working, focused young guy cannot become. His game matches up to Nadal well but have my doubts in his ability to even beat Murray on a continuous basis and I dont even want to bring a peak Federer discussion here (which is where I derive my definition of 'maestro' in tennis)

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:26 pm

NITB,

Not sure where the 'flukey' references are coming from.

Obviously he is playing great and deserves to be called the best player in the world right now.

As to people asking how long this will last.. well this has always been the same for all champions.

Those same question were asked of Fed, Nadal and the champions of yesteryear. It is the nature of the beast. It happens in all sports and expectedly so, since nothing lasts forever.

It's not something to get you feathers ruffled about.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:06 pm

I have huge respect for Nole, just as I had huge respect for his predecessor, Lleyton Hewitt.

Their style of play isn't my favourite but they both played it to a very high level.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Fedex, I disagree with your analysis that Novak is not an aggressive player. Certainly, in today's game speed has become an ever more important factor, just like speed was a big reason for Roger Federer's success. Djokovic does often rely on his defense and his speed. But he has a great deal of offensive weapons, he is more naturally aggressive than Nadal and Murray not as offensive as federer. If you watch him play he is very aggressive with returning second serves, probably is the best in the business at going up the line off both sides, this is an aggressive play in tennis. He stands pretty close to the baseline. He can and does hit winners off of both sides. And can't agree with you that he can't volley, 3 years ago maybe, but if you have watched his recent matches he actually seems pretty comfortable at net and comes up rather frequently for a modern player.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:16 pm

bogbrush wrote:I have huge respect for Nole, just as I had huge respect for his predecessor, Lleyton Hewitt.

Their style of play isn't my favourite but they both played it to a very high level.

When did lleyton hewitt ever win 2 slams in a year? When did hewitt win 4 master's in half a year? Hewitt is a great player, but I think Novak has moved passed Hewitt in terms of all time accomplishment. The fact that you can't discern the difference in talent, accomplishment, and style of play between Hewitt and Djokovic is worrying.

Lets compare 30 years old Hewitt against Djokovic's accomplishments:

2 grandslam wins

2 Master's wins

2 Master's Cups

4 grandslam finals

Now Novak Djokovic who is just 24 and entering his prime:

3 grandslam wins

1 year end Master's Cup

5 grandslam finals

9 master's series

Anyone without a bias or an agenda to diminish champions wouldn't compare the 24 year old who has won nearly double digit Master's series titles to lleyton hewitt. They look differently, play differently, and there is a big difference in what they have already accomplished in the sport. Not even getting to the fact that Djokovic is playing his best tennis and should have a 2-3 years left of his absolute physical prime. Hewitt did manage a lenghty run at #1 however, although frankly in a rather transitional and weaker period in tennis. If you took Hewitt's best years of either 2001 and 2002 and look at the tournaments he won and the points he accumulated he would be lucky if he could get in the top 3 today maybe he could have made it #2 with the current standard that Nadal and Djoko have laid down. Hewitt's best year 1 masters, 1 master's cup, and 1 grandslam; that looks like a 2 or 3 ranking in this current stronger era.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:51 pm

I agree, they look differently. Lleyton has fair hair plus Nole is taller.

I'll do an article about hairstyles later, but just on the tennis for now they are twins across a decade.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2