The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+18
Galted
Maine man
VTR
hampo17
sirfredperry
king_carlos
James100
guildfordbat
eirebilly
JDizzle
Duty281
Soul Requiem
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
KP_fan
msp83
Gooseberry
22 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World Empty Rest of the World

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 am

Duty281 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:
Duty281 wrote:So the most likely scenario is an Australia/New Zealand final at Lord's.

There are many things wrong with the WTC - points system is convulsed and perhaps not particularly fair - but Test cricket at neutral venues is something worth getting excited about! Shame it is only one game.

Yeah, I can't personally say that I am a fan of the WTC. The points system doesn't work properly, fixtures are of unequal value and weighting, and boiling an entire test championship down to one solitary fixture to decide the winner doesn't seem right to me.

That said, I think that Australia and New Zealand are the two best test teams in the world right now and, if that is the final, it would be the right fixture. A shame, as you say, that it's only one game and not, at least, a three-game series.

The current system is a temporary fudge to get around the unforseen situation and make the best of whatever fixtures could be fulfilled.

Had it gone to plan all the teams wouldve played home and away fixtures and had equal opportunities to earn points. That hasnt been the case, but at the same time I dont think anyone can argue theres not a clear top 3 teams with England sat just behind them and the rest of the world a significant step back from that.

One off game may be a bit unfair in that the toss could well play a major part in deciding it, but its always been about providing a focused big televised event rather than genuine competition. However the remaining fixtures pan out we should end up with two teams who deserve to be in the final even if New Zealand have just played at home. A long series in a neutral country just isn't viable in the modern calendar or that interesting to anything other than the hardcore fans.

Gooseberry

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by msp83 Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:17 am

If both Jadeja and Vihari are to miss out as it seems likely, I think rather than playing both Saha and Pant, they should get in the 2 reserve bats. Even though they are openers and not in the best of form and got dropped for the same. With Ashwin being not fully fit, don't think they should risk Saha at 7 if Pant can do the job. And if Ashwin's not fully fit, they should rest him, there is an important home series coming up against England and India would need their prime spinner to be fit and ready for the series. Let Kuldeep come in if Ashwin isn't quite there. [
quote="KP_fan"]
msp83 wrote:Vihari is likely to be ruled out of the next test. Even more concerningly, Ravichandran Ashwin has a back issue. He had the issue even before he batted, but the long innings may not have helped matters much. KL Rahul is already unavailable. There is Shaw and Agarwal on the reserve bench in the batting department, and then there is Wriddhiman Saha. But Kuldeep for Ashwin, would make that batting lineup ridiculously short. And there is also the question of where Shaw or Agarwal bat in case they are picked. I hope they don't disturb Gill and Sharma at the top. And between Agarwal and Shaw, I would like the former to come in and bat 4 with Rahane dropping down a place as an insurance for the lineup. And if Pant is fully fit, he takes the gloves as well, and Shaw to come in at 6 with Pant dropping down to 7. Else if Pant is fit enough to bat and not keep, Shaw or Pant to bat 6 and Saha to bat 7. And if Ashwin's not available, then Shardul Thakur to come in for Saini and bat 8 with Kuldeep slotting in as the spinner and bat 9. It is another matter that Saini's style might be more suited to the Gabba. But his tendency to spray it around, and with only 4 bowlers, he may have to give way for Shardul.
Things not looking up with all those injuries. I just wish Jadeja somehow recover well ahead of schedule...

This back issue of Ashwin's is a tweak in the back.....like a cramp....with massage, back stretches and hot water bags it becomes OK. he will play.
assuming Vihari & jadeja are out........and mayank already in...there are 3 scenarios

1-Saha comes in.....as a WK and Pant plays as a batsman. This would mean we have only 4 bowlers.......but that's what we have had effectively in Melbourne & Sydney when Yadav & Jadeja broke down

2- Kuldeep comes in.....we have 5 bowlers and Ashwin is batting at No. 7, mayank 6 , Pant 5..& Top-4 remaining as they are.
Leaves a woefully long tail..
I too wish we had jadeja fit or Pandya still in Aus.

In a variant of scenario 2...India could play Shardul instead of Saini in the 5 bowler makeup......as Shardul while not a  bowling allrounder...can hold the  bat  and get you a 20 odd.

3- Given that Gabba is hard and bouncy India could play all 4 fit seamers  incl Shardul PLUS ashwin

Shahrdul should be in contention IMO[/quote]

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 am

Ashwin may have remembered that he can actually bat just in time, but with his current general batting form, I wouldn't risk him and Kuldeep, or Kuldeep and 4 seamers for sure.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:30 am

msp83 wrote:Ashwin may have remembered that he can actually bat just in time, but with his current general batting form, I wouldn't risk him and Kuldeep, or Kuldeep and 4 seamers for sure.
The problem would be if with 4 bowlers only....one of them breaks down  or become half fit ( whihc ashwin is likely to be at the end  of a long series)

so you go in with 5 bowlers....with 3 of them suhc that they can hold the bat and get you 15 to 20 runs apiece.

For once the positive side of the picture is that India has a top orders that is all in OK batting form
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:08 pm

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/jasprit-bumrah-ruled-out-of-brisbane-test-due-to-abdominal-strain-report-3274595.html

Bumrah also ruled out.....India has shardul , Natrajan and tyagi still in Aus

We are reduced now to being less than and India-A side
Aus must be smacking their lips now....and easy rollover win for taking.
India has nothing to lose.........play fearless cricket
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Or go in with 4 fitter bowlers, bring in Kuldeep and Shardul who can offer that 15 to 20 runs possibly, but from 8 and 9, and not from 7 onwards. A top 4 as it is, with the 2 reserve batsmen who may be openers by trade coming into the middle order, with Pant batting down at 7 if he's fit, or Saha if Pant can't keep as well.
The Gabba is not a great place for spinners, so Ashwin or Kuldeep can't be expected to do a great deal. if the former is not fully fit, there is no point risking him, we found that out the hard way in England. And there is the important England series to come. I really do hope they don't risk Ashwin if he is not fully ready. Kuldeep might just offer that relative unknown factor with his craft, and he should be fit and ready to go.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:03 pm

KP_fan wrote:https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/jasprit-bumrah-ruled-out-of-brisbane-test-due-to-abdominal-strain-report-3274595.html

Wow! Don't know whether to laugh or cry! The chances are that Australians will be walking all over India in the last test. If that happens, don't think we can blame the Indian side. But this team has shown that they can fight when expect it in the least.
Don't think David Warner or any other Australian batsmen for that matter, would now want to miss the last test!
India, as KPF said, has nothing to lose. They don't need to lose Ashwin for the England series, rest him, play Kuldeep, retain Saini, and bring in Shardul for Jasprit. Mayank for Vihari, Shaw for Jadeja.
Hopefully the bowlers will manage to restrict Australia to below 500, and the Indian batsmen will somehow salvage another epic draw!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 pm

msp83 wrote:Or go in with 4 fitter bowlers, bring in Kuldeep and Shardul who can offer that 15 to 20 runs possibly, but from 8 and 9, and not from 7 onwards. A top 4 as it is, with the 2 reserve batsmen who may be openers by trade coming into the middle order, with Pant batting down  at 7 if he's fit, or Saha if Pant can't keep as well.
The Gabba is not a great place for spinners, so Ashwin or Kuldeep can't be expected to do a great deal. if the former is not fully fit, there is no point risking him, we found that out the hard way in England. And there is the important England series to come. I really do hope they don't risk Ashwin if he is not fully ready. Kuldeep might just offer that relative unknown factor with his craft, and he should be fit and ready to go.

Yeah I am with you on the bold part.....having 4 fresh & Fit bowlers is essential......and that will mean Shardul, Kuldeep, siraj and saini should play.

Ashwin may not breakdown...but if his back acts-up, he will be bowling from his arm...and not able to pivot and rotate the back/ body...so he will be limited....in the zip/ purchase he can extract.
BUT inpite of the risk of becoming limited with his bowling .....he's worth being included...asked to focus on his batting and act like the fifth/ "four & a half" bowler
as a batsman Ashwin won't be much less than technically flawed Shaw or a Saha..
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:23 pm

Bumrah out as well? Its just as well theyve had to bring a bigger squad than usual! There was always a risk with him as he's been asked to bowl a lot on this tour with short breaks but on top of everyone else its just getting ridiculous.

Apparently Washington Sundar is still with the squad as a practise player so is also an option to take Jadejas place. But you feel he's a real "cant bat or bowl" player rather than an all rounder. Neither he nor Kuldeep have bowled much at all on the tour though.

Natarjan was the big wicket taker in the T20s, but seems to be last on the list of seamers in peoples minds for the test side, possibly because of his complete lack of batting making ...28 first class runs! Guess there must also be questions over his ability to bowl long spells in a 5 day test. Very little experience at a professional level.

Pray for the Australia team to get get caught out drinking together and banned!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Bumrah out as well? Its just as well theyve had to bring a bigger squad than usual! There was always a risk with him as he's been asked to bowl a lot on this tour with short breaks but on top of everyone else its just getting ridiculous.

Apparently Washington Sundar is still with the squad as a practise player so is also an option to take Jadejas place. But you feel he's a real "cant bat or bowl" player rather than an all rounder. Neither he nor Kuldeep have bowled much at all on the tour though.

Natarjan was the big wicket taker in the T20s, but seems to be last on the list of seamers in peoples minds for the test side, possibly because of his complete lack of batting making ...28 first class runs! Guess there must also be questions over his ability to bowl long spells in a 5 day test. Very little experience at a professional level.  

Pray for the Australia  team to get get caught out drinking together and banned!

I think the lesson that Indian selectors aught to learn.....you cannot use Bumrah in all forms have him play 6 limited over games, some tour practise games and then expect him to last a long test tour.
They should have used other bowlers in Limited overs....with an eye of work load for tests

Yeah Washington Sundar is a great idea as a Jadeja replacement.......I didn't remember him...but am sure selectors will look at him closely, give the dire circumstances.
Covid / restrictions / quarantines / Bubbles has made it impossible to fly in emergency replacements.
I was never keen on Natrajan...it's an entirely different ball game bowling in tests.....and for that one should have played a lot of First class cricket at least
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 pm

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/brisbane.shtml

Friday should be fine but thunderstorms are forecast for every afternoon during the last 4 days. Just a question of how late into the afternoon/evening they arrive. Also remember this week is the 10th anniversary of the 2011 Brisbane floods; also a La Niña year. The place was underwater. The 'Gabba was a big pond!

You never know, KP_f... your prayers may be answered. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 pm

Sheesh Bumrah injured too? When it rains it pours for the Indian seamers!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:42 pm

Well that's a real blow for the lovers of Test Cricket. India have done remarkably well to cover the loss of so many of their first choice players on this tour...but to lose Bumrah on top of Jadeja really looks like the last straw...
Australia are always favourites at the Gabba ; but there was a reasonable hope that the match could be another tightly fought one given the resilience of this touring party. Honestly hard to see how they can compete without their key bowler though.

If as PJ says there is a lot of rain about I guess they may consider packing the batting and hoping to escape with a draw ? But I don't think that is the way anyone would want this series to end Sad

Injury list on this tour is ridiculous ! Poor Rahane must have accidentally shot an Albatross ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Tim Paine making excuses for Smiths blatant cheating.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Not sure I'd call whatever (?!?) Smith was doing qualifies as cheating...more non-verbal distracting perhaps.  But the explanation - seemingly advanced as a perfectly reasonable justification ! - really doesn't make sense at all...

Shadow batting ? As a left hander ? I know Smith is a bit weird at times but that sounds like a load of cow manure. And I can't say I've noticed him doing this before even though Paine claims he does it several times in every match.  Damned if I know what he thought he was up to but it certainly seems to be somewhat over the mythical Australian "line"... You'd think the umpires would be directing him to reserve his occupation of the crease to the times when he is actually batting ?  Heaven knows he occupies it for about half the average Test anyway so I reckon he could manage to keep off at least for the other team's innings Smile

I really don't want this excellent series to become dragged down by what are basically some silly rather than serious bits of gamesmanship so hope the Brisbane Test is free of the nonsense. But I'm afraid Paine has tarnished his own reputation a bit with his antics - and unfortunately he isn't doing himself any favours by putting up what looks suspiciously like a smokescreen instead of just keeping his mouth shut and let Smith answer if anyone could really be bothered questioning him about it.

I should say by the way that I haven't actually viewed the offending footage myself so am only going on reports from a number of commentators. But those reports and the defensive comments just don't seem to quite add up. I hear now Smith is said to be quite distressed about the whole business. Which I guess means he won't be doing it in Brisbane...

Last edited by alfie on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm

KP_fan wrote:https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/jasprit-bumrah-ruled-out-of-brisbane-test-due-to-abdominal-strain-report-3274595.html

Anyway : just how reliable is this site , KP_fan ? Still haven't seen anything on Cricinfo or any of the sports news services ...could it be more rumour than fact ? Obviously he was suffering a bit but can we hope this "ruled out" is a bit of an assumption ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 pm

alfie wrote:Not sure I'd call whatever (?!?) Smith was doing qualifies as cheating...more non-verbal distracting perhaps.  But the explanation - seemingly advanced as a perfectly reasonable justification ! - really doesn't make sense at all...

Shadow batting ? As a left hander ? I know Smith is a bit weird at times but that sounds like a load of cow manure. And I can't say I've noticed him doing this before even though Paine claims he does it several times in every match.  Damned if I know what he thought he was up to but it certainly seems to be somewhat over the mythical Australian "line"... You'd think the umpires would be directing him to reserve his occupation of the crease to the times when he is actually batting ?  Heaven knows he occupies it for about half the average Test anyway so I reckon he could manage to keep off at least for the other team's innings Smile

I really don't want this excellent series to become dragged down by what are basically some silly rather than serious bits of gamesmanship so hope the Brisbane Test is free of the nonsense. But I'm afraid Paine has tarnished his own reputation a bit with his antics - and unfortunately he isn't doing himself any favours by putting up what looks suspiciously like a smokescreen instead of just keeping his mouth shut and let Smith answer if anyone could really be bothered questioning him about it.

Its really hard to know from just the short out of context clips being circulated, but if he was doing something out of the ordinary by scuffing the creases then it is well outside the spirit of the game and a bit more than just "non verbal distraction". That would be something like dropping jelly beans next to the batsman Whistle

If Smith is getting the finger pointed at him unfairly here, which may well be the case, then he does only have himself to blame especially in light of his previous for trying to cover up cheating even when caught. Noones going to trust him. But I would like to see a longer piece of footage and if anyone has actually found examples of other players doing this. Out of context it does look damning.

Its notable that India have been pretty quiet on Paine, this Smith incident and the racism ...seems the loudest noises made from their camp this series were around the implications of travelling between test venues and quarantine requirements on returning home. With all of the issues brimming they've been remarkably restrained, as has the Indian media from what I've seen, unlike some of the western media which accused them of "chucking out their dummies" about venues. I was half expecting them to use all this to kick up a huge enough stink to stomp off home without having to play the last test, which is shaping up to be an absolute car crash for them through no fault of their own. So some credit to them for the way they've conducted themselves during this series.

I guess kicking up too much stink about the comments from the crowd might have been a bit difficult given their own teams record on racism in Australia and the issues highlighted in IPL dressing rooms by black players.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:00 am

Now, now, lads, don't have a go at Smith. He'll only start crying again!

If Bumrah's out then it's a calamity for India, on top of their other injuries. Bookmakers have pushed them out to 7/1 to win the final test. Their best hope is enough rain, more batting grit, and a draw.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 am

alfie wrote:

Anyway : just how reliable is this site , KP_fan ? Still haven't seen anything on Cricinfo or any of the sports news services ...could it be more rumour than fact ?  Obviously he was suffering a bit but can we hope this "ruled out" is a bit of an assumption ?

every major Indian news-paper/ channel has confirmed this...they got their news from BCCI
dunno why CI is lagging
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 am

I think Smith was obviously doing it to disturb Pant. If it was just the shadow batting, I could buy it. But the fact he scratched out his guard too - there is no need to do that if he is just trying to ‘get in Pant’s mindset’ as Paine claimed.

If Newlands hadn’t happened, then he wouldn’t be coping half as much stick for it but if you make your bed etc etc

Ultimately, it’s a childish attempt to put the batsman off and you should stay out of the batsmen’s area. But it’s all relative. Slap on the wrist, a demerit point and some of his match fee should suffice as a punishment.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 am

alfie wrote:Not sure I'd call whatever (?!?) Smith was doing qualifies as cheating...more non-verbal distracting perhaps.  But the explanation - seemingly advanced as a perfectly reasonable justification ! - really doesn't make sense at all...

How is it not cheating? He deliberately and clearly scratched away Pants guard with his spikes, the footage shows this clearly and the argument for it seems to centre around Pant just getting on with things and not allowing himself to be distracted. I would personally have see Smith given an extended ban for his role in sandpapergate and this only furthers my view of him as a fairly terrible sportsman, he was then honoured with test player of the decade as if this crap doesn't matter.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:34 am

I watched the prime series 'The Test' about how the Aussies were rebuilding after being guilty of cheating. It was a great watch and i felt that they were serious about setting a better example. There was lots in that show about the focus on ethics within the current team. It seems that since Smith and Warner have become more involved in the team again, the focus on ethics appear to be slipping...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am

Shadow batting by a person from the fielding side on the pitch when he is out there to field.....is an inappropriate action & not his right

He got away so far under the guise "Ohh we know its one of Smith's idiosyncrasies...but it's harmless"
And Smith has taken it one step further....under the guise of "acceptable idiosyncrasy" to surreptitiously disadvantage a rampant batsman.

If the ICC rule book is explored...this will fall under Unfair Play causing distraction, deception and / or Obstruction to a batsman.....for which there are various penalties
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 am

alfie wrote:Classic rearguard action. Hope Guildford was watching.

Hazlewood still pounding in but it's done ...time to shake hands on a draw , chaps.  Not sure why they're going through the motions of these last two overs.

Stunning effort from India  thumbsup

If India can find eleven fit players for Brisbane we might see a good finish to an enthralling series.

Wonder if KP_fan and msp set the alarm today ?

Thanks for thinking of me, Alfie. thumbsup [Been up to my eyes in boring non-cricket matters since.]

I saw the first two hours of the last day when Pujara and Pant were doing their stuff in their own ways. Impressive as that was, I thought that was still only delaying an Indian defeat and putting it off until the final session. Little did I know. Magnificent display of resilience by the tourists to save the game. An immensely satisfying result for India given how things looked at the end of day 4. Very special credit to Vihari and Ashwin who between them soaked up 289 deliveries - that's almost 50 overs! It was imperative that they kept the door closed so as to protect a crocked Jadeja and 3 rabbits.

I did see highlights of the whole final day although by then I knew the result and so the tension and uncertainty wasn't there for me as it must have been for you and others here watching it live. Mightily enjoyable nonetheless. A draw like this one is a proper result to be savoured in my book.

Like Olly, I do fear for India in the final Test with their injuries continuing to pile up. However, I was wrong here and could be again!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

The statement from Smith saying that he is 'Shocked and disappointed' at the claims of cheating has me a little bemused. This is a man who openly admitted to cheating and served a years ban for it. Surely he must be clever enough to realise that his playing life will be under a microscope so why put himself in that position?
eirebilly
eirebilly

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Washington Sundar in serious consideration according to Indian media. He doesn't have the makings of a solid test bat or bowler, but under the circumstances, he's not the worst option. Sundar for Ashwin, Shardul for Bumrah, Shaw for Jadeja and Agarwal for Vihari.
Sharma
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Agarwal
Shaw
Pant
Sundar
Thakur
Saini
Siraj

If the promised rain comes, then this might be the best possible lineup to try and salvage a draw.
No point having 5 bowlers if those do not include your top 4 seamers and top 2 spinners. At least Shaw and Agarwal have been among the first choice or first reserve in recent times. And away from the new ball and with nothing to lose in the short run, they might be able to play a freer hand.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Suppose they can't do much about it , if Bumrah and Ashwin were both to be ruled out : but that bowling group seems to me to invite Australia to make 600 unless the pitch is extremely lively.

Agree India - shorn of so may of their best - would do well to get a draw ; but going into the game with that as their target would probably be a mistake...Think you have to start with the intent of winning the match , however unlikely it may seem. They have another spinner in the wings : surely a better option than just dishing up a bunch of inexperienced seamers ?

You might be right about letting Shaw and Agarwal play with a bit less pressure , msp...but would you not consider Saha and let Pant just concentrate on his batting ? No perfect solution , I guess. Can just hope the physios work some miracles...

alfie

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 pm

msp83 wrote:Washington Sundar in serious consideration according to Indian media. He doesn't have the makings of a solid test bat or bowler, but under the circumstances, he's not the worst option. Sundar for Ashwin, Shardul for Bumrah, Shaw for Jadeja and Agarwal for Vihari.
Sharma
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Agarwal
Shaw
Pant
Sundar
Thakur
Saini
Siraj

If the promised rain comes, then this might be the best possible lineup to try and salvage a draw.
No point having 5 bowlers if those do not include your top 4 seamers and top 2 spinners. At least Shaw and Agarwal have been among the first choice or first reserve in recent times. And away from the new ball and with nothing to lose in the short run, they might be able to play a freer hand.

Ashwin will play...here is the 11 I think that's most likely to be fielded and the order

1. Rohit
2.Gill¨
3. Pujara
4. Rahane
5. Pant
6. Agarwal
7. Ashwin ( he batted out 50 overs and since then he has had 5 days to relax his back....because he is fragile...they will go with 5 bowlers)
8. Shardul ( he would have been my first choice for replacing Shami as IMO he is better than Siraj & Saini)
9. Kuldeep ( the potential match winner & you need one in the absence of Bumrah and partially fit Ashwin)
10. Saini
11. Siraj

Sundar plays ONLY if Ashhwin is so bad that he cannot move...which I doubt
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Do agree that an attack of Sundar and the B team seamers would make taking 20 wickets a near impossibility for India. Really does come down to how much they can inject into Ashwin and how those pool sessions go

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:38 pm

If they were going to play for a draw, would it not make more sense to just pack the side full of every batsman on tour and like two bowlers and just try to make like 700 in two and a half days in the first innings? (disclaimer: this isn't a serious suggestion, but I would kind of like to see a team try it one day before my time passes)
An oft used tactic for me on International Cricket Captain, for any players of that game Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If they were going to play for a draw, would it not make more sense to just pack the side full of every batsman on tour and like two bowlers and just try to make like 700 in two and a half days in the first innings? (disclaimer: this isn't a serious suggestion, but I would kind of like to see a team try it one day before my time passes)
An oft used tactic for me on International Cricket Captain, for any players of that game Smile

I used to do it on CC13 going in search of the mythical 1000 but a couple of innings in the 900's was the best I ever did.

Soul Requiem

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If they were going to play for a draw, would it not make more sense to just pack the side full of every batsman on tour and like two bowlers and just try to make like 700 in two and a half days in the first innings? (disclaimer: this isn't a serious suggestion, but I would kind of like to see a team try it one day before my time passes)

They are picking every fit batsman on tour (at least MSPs suggested team is)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 pm

In an England tour of India during my youth I did once consider - in a mix of enthusiasm, excitement and naivety - Tony Greig batting at 8 or 9, opening the bowling with his medium pace seamers and soon after returning to the attack with 25 overs of off spin on the reel! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/55646108

The excuses are getting quite tedious now, 'in his own little world, his own little Steve Smith world', that's ok then, cheat away.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/55646108

The excuses are getting quite tedious now, 'in his own little world, his own little Steve Smith world', that's ok then, cheat away.

I especially loved this comment by Langer

"He's an outstanding leader and person and the best wicketkeeper in the world who had a bad day," Langer said.

Best wicket keeper in the world? Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:02 pm

Ashwins wife sharing a bit too much personal information about her husband

'He couldn't get up or bend down'

(childish giggles)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Pucovski out, Harris of all people recalled by Australia. Theres hope for India yet!

Assume its more face saving from Australia embarrassed by how the state of his hair reflects on them as a team.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:52 am

Vikram Rathour, India's batting coach, seems confident about India being able to field a strong side for the final test.
Lets see how all that turns out.
I am not sure that Gabba is the place to play 2 spinners. It is probably the toughest track for spin in Australia. As such, no point in playing 5 bowlers here. Particularly as they are not really your first choice, inexperienced, and apart from Saini, not very quick, something again more in demand at the Gabba.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:29 am

msp83 wrote:Vikram Rathour, India's batting coach, seems confident about India being able to field a strong side for the final test.

Unkind people would suggest that they struggled to do that for the first test

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 am

India have picked five bowlers with a combined 4 tests' experience.

Shocked to see Kuldeep not selected

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:43 am

No scores of 350+ in this series, and only two individual centuries. Great chance for Australia to improve on that on this wicket and with India's much-weakened bowling attack.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am

Oh dear...think India might have been carried away with the "pace at the Gabba" thing ...picking net bowlers in preference to a highly competent spinner. Fancy Australia to make them pay heavily ; though in truth with Bumrah and Ashwin out (incredible run of bad luck! ) they had no truly attractive lineup options...

Good start though , Siraj & Rohit clap Warner , not so much.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:31 am

alfie wrote:Oh dear...think India might have been carried away with the "pace at the Gabba" thing ...picking net bowlers in preference to a highly competent spinner. Fancy Australia to make them pay heavily ; though in truth with Bumrah and Ashwin out (incredible run of bad luck! ) they had no truly attractive lineup options...

Good start though , Siraj & Rohit clap    Warner , not so much.

Yeah, for Joey's comp I was checking on cricinfo who bowled what for India and was somewhat surprised with the results.

Anyway, absolutely brilliant catch by Rohit. Both anticipating that the ball was going to land in front of first slip and then actually taking it diving forward from second.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am

Nice start for Thakur Smile

No Pucovski , no Australian openers devil

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Poor from both openers but, happily for Australia, Smith looks in the zone early on.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:17 pm

Smith is looking rather imperious but the inexperienced attack are bowling well to Labuschagne.

If they can nip one of these two out...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:40 pm

pitch has bouce and shardul has swung.
glad he got to play...very talented and should have been ahead of siraj and saini

One more wicket needed before lunch

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm

king_carlos wrote:Smith is looking rather imperious but the inexperienced attack are bowling well to Labuschagne.

If they can nip one of these two out...

Always the question with Australia these days . Big "if" though. Smith without having to worry about Ashwin or Bumrah looks set for 200 already. Labuschagne less assured but still settling in - story of the series for him.

"If" they could somehow magically remove both of these fellows India could well shoot Australia out for a seriously sub-par total. Not sure how they are going to do that though.

Hot day. India will at least be glad they have five bowlers.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 pm

KP_fan wrote:pitch has bouce and shardul has swung.
glad he got to play...very talented and should have been ahead of siraj and Saini

One more wicket needed before lunch

Interesting comment , KP_fan... I have actually been quite impressed with Siraj ; if Thakur lives up to your hopes India might handle the burden of bowling without all their original bowling group better than feared...

Washington Sundar starting off reasonably tidily. Pretty quick for a spinner.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:06 pm

in sundar India has gone for control and batting skills .....not a bad choice for this bouncy pitch....given his top spinner high arm style....he's also quite tall...almost a pace bowler's physique-

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next