The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

+25
horizontalhero
Happytravelling
licence_007
huw
jammin
jamesedwardcox
bhb001
oxring
Super D Boon
HitmanOwl
WelshDevilRob
Steffan
6oldenbhoy
School Project
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sir. badgerhands
compelling and rich
Mind the windows Tino.
razzaq
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
eddyfightfan
29 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... Empty put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 am

most people love there home town and will defend it to the hills, even against the odds. this thread is to put forwards your reasons why you think your home town is the true heart of the boxing world, name the great champions and any boxing related claim to fames....

i'll start, firstly my home town is sheffield and its the best boxing city because....

it is home to the one and only prince naseem hamed, and his one time gym mate bredon ingle, and ryan rhodes. it's also home to old time legend "bomber" graham and is still home to his gym. we have the institute of sport where the olympic team train. it is also home to curtis woodhouse who recently lost a questionable SD to frank gavin, as well as huge heavyweight prospect richard "inferno" towers.

our biggest hope at the moment is kell brook, who recently defeat tough opponent n'dou, in sheffield, he actually walked to the fight from his home as he lived across the road.

Last edited by eddyfightfan on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 am

Wolverhampton? It doesn't.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by Scottrf Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 am

Not sure that compares with New York mate.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:32 am

Eddy as a fellow Sheffielder, you would also have to add Junior Witter, Clinton Woods and Johnny Nelson to that list

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:33 am

Grimsby.

Hmm.

We produced cruiserweight legend Steve Lewsam, who finished with a record of 13-8, including two losses to Herbie Hide and one to Carl Thompson.

Beat that.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am

rowley wrote:Eddy as a fellow Sheffielder, you would also have to add Junior Witter, Clinton Woods and Johnny Nelson to that list

Witter Woods and Nelson....wow, what a line-up.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am

Scottrf wrote:Not sure that compares with New York mate.

Wolverhampton? No, not quite. I did have a friend who claimed that his father once sparred with Randy Turpin though. Oh, and I once passed Frank Bruno in the town centre here, when he was doing panto at the Grand...

Do I win?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am

rowley wrote:Eddy as a fellow Sheffielder, you would also have to add Junior Witter, Clinton Woods and Johnny Nelson to that list

i'm ashamed i forgot those. i nearly forgot rhodes and brook though at first.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 am

Union Cane wrote:Grimsby.

Hmm.

We produced cruiserweight legend Steve Lewsam, who finished with a record of 13-8, including two losses to Herbie Hide and one to Carl Thompson.

Beat that.

Grimsby isn't a city. Did you know though that the guy who wrote 'Thriller' is from there? There or Cleethorpes, I forget which.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Grimsby isn't a city.

"most people love there home town and will defend it to the hills"

So there.

(Not sure what defending to the hills is though...)
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 am

Union Cane wrote:

So there.

Erm

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 am

Union Cane wrote:

So there.

Maybe an ancient tribal ritual?

Something like running up a number of hills, naked, with war paint covering your face, and lots of beating of the chest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 am

Curtis Woodhouse 'played' for Grimsby as well, although he'd already made his mind up that he didn't want to be a footballer any more by then.

Boxing Cities of the UK
1. Grimsby
2. Sheffield
3. Wolverhampton
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:46 am

Union Cane wrote:

So there.

surprised you missed the spelling of 'there'. I don't really have a hometown. York or Andover but live in neither now. Closest is Aldershot. That must have produced some Army boxers......

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 am

razzaq wrote:surprised you missed the spelling of 'there'.

I'm cutting down on pedantry, its not good for the blood pressure.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 am

Chester. Bit like Wolverhampton, we aren't really a hot-bed of boxing talent. Do have a guy called Paul Economides who sounds like he should have been pontificating with Pythagoras though.

Nice Roman walls however. What did the Roman's ever do for us?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:50 am

as a manc we have had quite a few off the top of my head

both hatton bro's
carl thompson
robin reid (born scouse but pretty much trained out of manchester majority of career)
jamie moore
crolla
gomez
brodie
tyson fury
john murray
joe murray

while some may argue that may not be the best, one thing about them is there always there for a good scrap

Last edited by compelling and rich on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:51 am

Did a quick google. No real boing talent from Andover. Plenty of boxers for sale though, either the dog or Peugeot van.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:53 am

Camberley, because............ummmmmm.............because.................Billy "The Blonde Bomber" Walker lives there!!

That is all.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:55 am

Union Cane wrote:
razzaq wrote:surprised you missed the spelling of 'there'.

I'm cutting down on pedantry, its not good for the blood pressure.

Good thing, 'cause you missed an apostrophe there... Very Happy

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 am

Have never thought to search this before, but some good stories, one even boxed in the 40s in the place I used to play snooker .

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 am

Union Cane wrote:Curtis Woodhouse 'played' for Grimsby as well, although he'd already made his mind up that he didn't want to be a footballer any more by then.

Boxing Cities of the UK
1. Grimsby
2. Sheffield
3. Wolverhampton

although the most established team he played for was sheffield united..... my team- what an honour for him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:00 am

compelling and rich wrote:as a manc we have had quite a few off the top of my head

both hatton bro's
carl thompson
robin reid (born scouse but pretty much trained out of manchester majority of career)
jamie moore
crolla
gomez
brodie
tyson fury

tyson fury (subject to appeal against eviction notice)

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:00 am

If I'm from Chester, it might as well be Wales. Can I claim the whole of Wales for myself?

Actually, don't bother.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 am

eddyfightfan wrote:although the most established team he played for was sheffield united..... my team- what an honour for him.

Most established? What does that mean?

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:02 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:If I'm from Chester, it might as well be Wales. Can I claim the whole of Wales for myself?

That is a right reserved for English Kings and Queens!!!!

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:03 am

Union Cane wrote:Most established? What does that mean?

It doesn't. Just as something can't be the most historic.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:05 am

Exactly.

Grimsby Town (1878) are far more historic than Sheff Utd (1889) anyway.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:07 am

Where I now live in Farnborough held the first world title international boxing match between American John Heenan and Englishman Tom Sayer.

Took place on April 17th 1860, I believe both Windy and Rowley had tickets. Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 am

Grimsby is Danish for Grim's Village. Not much changes in 900 years!

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 am

I love the fact that came a few minutes after you saying you weren't being pedantic any longer...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 am

Union Cane wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:although the most established team he played for was sheffield united..... my team- what an honour for him.

Most established? What does that mean?

established longer, more successfull, the better team......

also defending to the hills means to fight a losing battle, an uphill struggle, to bat for the losing side (not a metaphor for been gay by the way)

maybe admin can look into subtitles for all yorkshire posters, to avoid anymore confusion

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Where I now live in Farnborough held the first world title international boxing match between American John Heenan and Englishman Tom Sayer.

Took place on April 17th 1860, I believe both Windy and Rowley had tickets. Smile

Christ badger, we probably have the same postcode........

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 am

alma wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:If I'm from Chester, it might as well be Wales. Can I claim the whole of Wales for myself?

Actually, don't bother.

Do you hate people from Wrexham? I gather there's some rivalry there

alma, people from Chester don't hate anybody. Apart from scousers who visit our beautiful city and spray graffiti all over the walls. I have no evidence that it is scousers, but I am still blaming them.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Where I now live in Farnborough held the first world title international boxing match between American John Heenan and Englishman Tom Sayer.

50 years after Cribb Molineaux?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 am

Not defend to the hilt then? Been getting it wrong all these years....

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
alma wrote:

Actually, don't bother.

alma, people from Chester don't hate anybody. Apart from scousers who visit our beautiful city and spray graffiti all over the walls. I have no evidence that it is scousers, but I am still blaming them.

I think it's a reasonable assumption.

May even be Bellew.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 am

Belfast:

Freddie Gilroy, John Caldwell, James Carson, Rinty Monaghan to name a few.

Big Marty Rogie!!

And soon to be legend...Carl Frampton!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:12 am

razzaq wrote:Not defend to the hilt then? Been getting it wrong all these years....

two seperate sayings as far as im concerned

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:13 am

Where is Hillsborough in relation to Belfast Reborn, is it close enough to claim it, if so believe that was where Jimmy Mclarnin was born, if you can make some tenuous claim to him has to be worth it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 am

alma wrote:

Actually, don't bother.

missus from chester, they get the welsh thing all the time but i normally see more fake scousers than welsh. chester city fc main local derby is with wrexham fc

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 am

eddyfightfan wrote:
razzaq wrote:Not defend to the hilt then? Been getting it wrong all these years....

They might be separate but I'm pretty sure one's made up.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 am

compelling and rich wrote:
alma wrote:

Actually, don't bother.

missus from chester, they get the welsh thing all the time but i normally see more fake scousers than welsh. chester city fc main local derby is with wrexham fc

Otherwise known as woolleybacks. Most of them live in Runcorn, which incidentally, is where Robin Reid comes from.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 am

eddyfightfan wrote:established longer, more successfull, the better team......

Wrong, wrong, and debatable.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:23 am

rowley wrote:Where is Hillsborough in relation to Belfast Reborn,

You could defend the hills of Hillsborough to the hills.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 am

Cwmbran/Newport... Joe Calzaghe, Gary Lockett, Gary Buckland, Gavin Rees, Bradley Price.

Well known Gym in St Josephs in which Ricky Hatton likes to visit regularly.

Not the best boxing heritage but some decent names there!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 am

all teams are children of sheffield FC anyway

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:25 am

runcorn horrible place! best known thing about them is the bridge being on start of two pints of lager and a packet of crisps!!

the train station is a sight to behold also, made even worse that the next two at helsby and frodsham are pretty nice!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 am

eddyfightfan wrote:all teams are children of sheffield FC anyway

You, sir, appear to have changed your tune.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

They might be separate but I'm pretty sure one's made up.

they're both made up balti, if its not a sayings, then i lay claim to inventing it and demand royalties from anyone who uses it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next