The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

+25
horizontalhero
Happytravelling
licence_007
huw
jammin
jamesedwardcox
bhb001
oxring
Super D Boon
HitmanOwl
WelshDevilRob
Steffan
6oldenbhoy
School Project
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sir. badgerhands
compelling and rich
Mind the windows Tino.
razzaq
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
eddyfightfan
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 2 Empty put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

most people love there home town and will defend it to the hills, even against the odds. this thread is to put forwards your reasons why you think your home town is the true heart of the boxing world, name the great champions and any boxing related claim to fames....

i'll start, firstly my home town is sheffield and its the best boxing city because....

it is home to the one and only prince naseem hamed, and his one time gym mate bredon ingle, and ryan rhodes. it's also home to old time legend "bomber" graham and is still home to his gym. we have the institute of sport where the olympic team train. it is also home to curtis woodhouse who recently lost a questionable SD to frank gavin, as well as huge heavyweight prospect richard "inferno" towers.

our biggest hope at the moment is kell brook, who recently defeat tough opponent n'dou, in sheffield, he actually walked to the fight from his home as he lived across the road.

Last edited by eddyfightfan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 2 Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Union Cane wrote:
the hills.

have eyes?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 2 Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Union Cane wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:all teams are children of sheffield FC anyway

You, sir, appear to have changed your tune.

i find when i'm proven wrong its a better tactic to try and distract said person from your original arguement rather than keep digging

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Union Cane wrote:
the hills.

have eyes?

Preferred the original, truly terrifying.

But its not Scarface.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:29 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i find when i'm proven wrong its a better tactic to try and distract said person from your original arguement rather than keep digging

Show me something shiny, that usually does the trick.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:Where I now live in Farnborough held the first world title international boxing match between American John Heenan and Englishman Tom Sayer.

Took place on April 17th 1860, I believe both Windy and Rowley had tickets. Smile
50 years after Cribb Molineaux?

Scott take it up with Wikipedia and The Guardian.

"His lasting fame depends exclusively on his final contest, when he faced American champion John Camel Heenan[2] in a battle which was widely considered to be boxing’s first world championship." - Wikipedia

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/14/john-heenan-tom-sayers-boxing - The Guardian

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
razzaq wrote:Not defend to the hilt then? Been getting it wrong all these years....

two seperate sayings as far as im concerned

They might be separate but I'm pretty sure one's made up.

they're both made up balti, if its not a sayings, then i lay claim to inventing it and demand royalties from anyone who uses it.

Pi$$. Foiled by mine own pedantry!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm

I thought the hills were alive with the sound of music?

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:Where I now live in Farnborough held the first world title international boxing match between American John Heenan and Englishman Tom Sayer.

Took place on April 17th 1860, I believe both Windy and Rowley had tickets. Smile

"His lasting fame depends exclusively on his final contest, when he faced American champion John Camel Heenan[2] in a battle which was widely considered to be boxing’s first world championship." - Wikipedia

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/14/john-heenan-tom-sayers-boxing - The Guardian
I might have to.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm

rowley wrote:Where is Hillsborough in relation to Belfast Reborn, is it close enough to claim it, if so believe that was where Jimmy Mclarnin was born, if you can make some tenuous claim to him has to be worth it.

Its a bit far outside Belfast to make a true claim to him unfortunately.

I second Deemck on Belfast though. Other Olympic medalists like John McNally, Jim McCourt, Hugh Russell and more recently Paddy Barnes. Add in Wayne McCullough and there's a decent pedigree from this neck of the woods.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:38 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
razzaq wrote:Not defend to the hilt then? Been getting it wrong all these years....

they're both made up balti, if its not a sayings, then i lay claim to inventing it and demand royalties from anyone who uses it.

ha unlucky, also missed an excellent oppertunity to point out the title of my thread was spelt incorrectly (since rectified), your slipping....

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I might have to.

Cribb vs Molineaux was for the British title, not the world title was it not?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

ha unlucky, also missed an excellent oppertunity to point out the title of my thread was spelt incorrectly (since rectified), your slipping....

Rowley, allow me.

You're slipping.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Cribb vs Molineaux was for the British title, not the world title was it not?
Cribb was the equivalent of the World Champion and Molineaux was American. Debateable.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Badgerhands with reference to the Cribb Molyneux fight don't think it is particularly considered a world championship fight because whilst it is true Molyneux was American there was no real structure for boxing in America at the time and so Molyneux had not really done anything to establish he was the best that the country had to offer. the same of which is not the case in Heenan Sayers who were widely accepted as the best of the two nations.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

I come from the county of Rhondda Cynon Taff

Jimmy Wilde. Freddie Welsh. Tommy Farr to name a few

Enough said

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

rowley wrote:Molyneux had not really done anything to establish he was the best that the country had to offer. the same of which is not the case in Heenan Sayers who were widely accepted as the best of the two nations.

Same could be said of Audley's world title shot......

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Steffan wrote:I come from the county of Rhondda Cynon Taff

Enough said

You'll find the best county thread on here in a few days steffie.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:46 pm

rowley wrote:Badgerhands with reference to the Cribb Molyneux fight don't think it is particularly considered a world championship fight because whilst it is true Molyneux was American there was no real structure for boxing in America at the time and so Molyneux had not really done anything to establish he was the best that the country had to offer. the same of which is not the case in Heenan Sayers who were widely accepted as the best of the two nations.

Cheers Rowley, you confirmed what I was saying.

Cribb vs Molyneux wasn't classed as a world championship.

Whereas Heenan Sayers is widely seen as the first international title fight.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

rowley wrote:Badgerhands with reference to the Cribb Molyneux fight don't think it is particularly considered a world championship fight because whilst it is true Molyneux was American there was no real structure for boxing in America at the time and so Molyneux had not really done anything to establish he was the best that the country had to offer. the same of which is not the case in Heenan Sayers who were widely accepted as the best of the two nations.
Fair enough, was for the English title really, but didn't know the other had more support as a 'World Title'.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

That's 'you're'... Very Happy

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Jimmy Wilde used to fight bareknuckle contests up the mountain behind my grandparents house

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm

razzaq wrote:
Steffan wrote:I come from the county of Rhondda Cynon Taff

Enough said

You'll find the best county thread on here in a few days steffie.

Look forward to it OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

That's 'you're'... Very Happy

Boom. Pre-emptive strike Balti. Scroll up old boy!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Steffan wrote:Jimmy Wilde used to fight bareknuckle contests up the mountain behind my grandparents house

whereas you now just have bareback contests up there?

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Whereas Heenan Sayers is widely seen as the first international title fight.
Well, sort of. Cribb-Molineaux was an international title fight. Maybe not the world title, but that's debateable. Cribb basically won the 19th century pugilism equivalent of the 'World Series'.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Just seen that Tino. I'm just not on the ball today.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:56 pm

You can still call him on "oppertunity".

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:Whereas Heenan Sayers is widely seen as the first international title fight.
Well, sort of. Cribb-Molineaux was an international title fight. Maybe not the world title, but that's debateable. Cribb basically won the 19th century pugilism equivalent of the 'World Series'.

Most sources I've read seem to state that Heenan Sayers is recognised as the first International world title fight. Whereas Cribb-Molineaux was for the British title.

May have to agree to disagree Scott as this has the look of going round in circles.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:58 pm

razzaq wrote:
Steffan wrote:Jimmy Wilde used to fight bareknuckle contests up the mountain behind my grandparents house

Aint been up there in years. Both my grandparents are dead as they were quite old when I was growing up

Always remeber the days of me and my cousin up the mountain at about 10 years old, smoking fags, lighting grass fires, sniffing old petrol tanks trying to get high, burning down shacks, throwing stones on to the houses below and just the normal things your average south Wales 10 year old did back then

Ah the good ol' days...

Last edited by Steffan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Steffan wrote:
razzaq wrote:

Aint been up there in years. Both my grandparents are dead as they were quite old when I was growing up

Always remeber the good old days of me and my cousin up the mountain at about 10 years old, smoking fags, lighting grass fires, sniffing old petrol tanks, burning down shacks, throwing stones on to the houses below and just the normal things your average south Wales 10 year old did back then

Ah the good ol' days...

Did Ross Kemp do a documentary on you and your "cousin".

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:04 pm

cardiff has had some decent fighters over the years.

Eddie Avoth - Cardiff
British & Commonwealth Light Heavyweight Champion

Jack Petersen - Cardiff
British & Empire Heavyweight Champion

Jim Driscoll - Cardiff
British, Empire & European Featherweight Champion

Joe Erskine - Cardiff
British & Empire Heavyweight Champion

Nicky Piper - Cardiff
Commonwealth Light Heavyweight Champion

Pat Thomas - Cardiff
British Welterweight & Light Middleweight Champion

Steve Robinson - Cardiff
European & WBO Featherweight Champion

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm

[quote="Steffan"]
razzaq wrote:
Always remeber the days of me and my cousin up the mountain at about 10 years old, smoking fags, lighting grass fires, sniffing old petrol tanks trying to get high, burning down shacks, throwing stones on to the houses below and just the normal things your average south Wales 10 year old did back then

Ah the good ol' days...

Lived down there for a while. Got taken to the police station for throwing firecrackers into a post box. Wouldn't mind but it wasn't me......

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm

See none of you welsh boys are laying claim to Gavin Rees, come on own up, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Best one was we argued with these kids down the street. So me and my cousin drank loads of orange squash, then urinated into a bottle till it was full. Then we got up onto the roof of one of the houses (old fashioned flat roofing on some of them) and tipped our wee wee all over those kids. Think only one of them didnt cry if I remember. Yeah we ruled

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:06 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:cardiff has had some decent fighters over the years.
Nicky Piper - Cardiff

Good old Nicky Piper, possibly one of the most unlikely looking men to lace gloves.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Steffan wrote:Best one was we argued with these kids down the street. So me and my imaginary friend drank loads of orange squash, then urinated into a bottle till it was full. Then we got up onto the roof of one of the houses (old fashioned flat roofing on some of them) and tipped our wee wee all over those kids. Think only one of them didnt cry if I remember. Yeah we ruled

Fixed.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Steffan wrote:...when I was growing up...

Whistle
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
Nicky Piper - Cardiff

Good old Nicky Piper, possibly one of the most unlikely looking men to lace gloves.

And he was a brainbox as well. A very unstereotypical boxer all round

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Easy Sheffield is the one. Bk doubt about,remember pinegrove when Rhodes and hamed use to train sometimes!

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Steffan apparently he is the highest ranking sportsman in Mensa.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Steffan wrote:Best one was we argued with these kids down the street. So me and my cousin drank loads of orange squash, then urinated into a bottle till it was full. Then we got up onto the roof of one of the houses (old fashioned flat roofing on some of them) and tipped our wee wee all over those kids. Think only one of them didnt cry if I remember. Yeah we ruled

God knows how you grew up into the responsible and decent young man you are today! Very Happy

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Steffan wrote:Best one was we argued with these kids down the street. So me and my imaginary friend drank loads of orange squash, then urinated into a bottle till it was full. Then we got up onto the roof of one of the houses (old fashioned flat roofing on some of them) and tipped our wee wee all over those kids. Think only one of them didnt cry if I remember. Yeah we ruled

Fixed.

Speak for your own childhood...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Steffan wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
Nicky Piper - Cardiff

And he was a brainbox as well. A very unstereotypical boxer all round

Member of MENSA if I recall correctly.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Steffan wrote:Best one was we argued with these kids down the street. So me and my cousin drank loads of orange squash, then urinated into a bottle till it was full. Then we got up onto the roof of one of the houses (old fashioned flat roofing on some of them) and tipped our wee wee all over those kids. Think only one of them didnt cry if I remember. Yeah we ruled

We had a TV...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Surely London has the best heritage in the UK?

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Could take issue with Eddie Avoth. Born in Cardiff but definitely a product of the Merthyr gym. Does that still count?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:11 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

We had a TV...

That explains you being the big fat couch potato you are today I guess

Fresh air I prefere thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Steffan wrote:

Fixed.

Speak for your own childhood...

Don't be like that Steffan. I am an Englishman from Chester, I practically own you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Don't be like that Steffan. I am an Englishman from Chester, I practically own you.
You're welcome to him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Before this degenerates into and Wales v England slagging match - could we please make sure things do not cross the line of banter.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next