The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

+25
horizontalhero
Happytravelling
licence_007
huw
jammin
jamesedwardcox
bhb001
oxring
Super D Boon
HitmanOwl
WelshDevilRob
Steffan
6oldenbhoy
School Project
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sir. badgerhands
compelling and rich
Mind the windows Tino.
razzaq
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
eddyfightfan
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 4 Empty put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

most people love there home town and will defend it to the hills, even against the odds. this thread is to put forwards your reasons why you think your home town is the true heart of the boxing world, name the great champions and any boxing related claim to fames....

i'll start, firstly my home town is sheffield and its the best boxing city because....

it is home to the one and only prince naseem hamed, and his one time gym mate bredon ingle, and ryan rhodes. it's also home to old time legend "bomber" graham and is still home to his gym. we have the institute of sport where the olympic team train. it is also home to curtis woodhouse who recently lost a questionable SD to frank gavin, as well as huge heavyweight prospect richard "inferno" towers.

our biggest hope at the moment is kell brook, who recently defeat tough opponent n'dou, in sheffield, he actually walked to the fight from his home as he lived across the road.

Last edited by eddyfightfan on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 4 Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by Happytravelling Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Badger - logged in cos I remembered it was the Collins brothers, Georgie and the others. Georgie Snr was a boxer too. Got that backsides kicked at Rackstraws one night too...

Years ago I tried to look into where the fight was in Farnborough. My dad was raised there, so asked him (not that he would have seen it but because he might have heard). He said in his youth it was rumoured the Ship was a bareknuckle venue.

I looked on the internet and there was very little. But found something that said it was between Frimley station and Farborough. Then my bro said he had been told it was in the grounds of Farnborough Hill. The Ship isn't so far. So, maybe similar place. Story goes, people bought tickets to nowhere, from London. Farmers hired out their carts so people could sit on the back so if the police turned up they could ride off with them. All rumour, I've not seen it written anywhere. But silly Rushmoor Council don't make more of it.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 4 Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by Sir. badgerhands Sat 30 Jul 2011, 2:04 am

Happytravelling wrote:Badger - logged in cos I remembered it was the Collins brothers, Georgie and the others. Georgie Snr was a boxer too. Got that backsides kicked at Rackstraws one night too...

Years ago I tried to look into where the fight was in Farnborough. My dad was raised there, so asked him (not that he would have seen it but because he might have heard). He said in his youth it was rumoured the Ship was a bareknuckle venue.

I looked on the internet and there was very little. But found something that said it was between Frimley station and Farborough. Then my bro said he had been told it was in the grounds of Farnborough Hill. The Ship isn't so far. So, maybe similar place. Story goes, people bought tickets to nowhere, from London. Farmers hired out their carts so people could sit on the back so if the police turned up they could ride off with them. All rumour, I've not seen it written anywhere. But silly Rushmoor Council don't make more of it.

I should have remembered the Collins brothers.

I watched one of them fight Kirkland Laing in Reading.

The cheapie bookshop in Farnborough had a book on the Heenan Sayers fight, written by a local author. If I find the name of it I'll let you know.

Rackstraws!!! That takes me back Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 7:27 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Weaverham
[Extracted from The Knowwhere Guide]
All the great weaverham boxers who fought in the A.B.A.championships howard furmston, karl griffiths,peter adams,kevin dunne, karl furmston

right bhb001, this is scary.....I used to live in Weaverham. Small world.
Tino, my condolences. But glad to here you got out!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:37 am

bhb001 wrote:
All the great weaverham boxers who fought in the A.B.A.championships howard furmston, karl griffiths,peter adams,kevin dunne, karl furmston

bhb001, I used to live near to the cricket club but this was years ago. There are worse places to be though mate!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

bhb001 wrote:

bhb001, I used to live near to the cricket club but this was years ago. There are worse places to be though mate!

I got out for 20 years, but got sucked back in a few years back. Not a lot has changed in that time, though! Except the Salter isn't there anymore

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 31 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

I'm from Leeds, for such a big city we haven't had many good boxers =/

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

In Nottingham we have Carl Froch and Jason Booth.
Also we have UFC fighter Dan Hardy (unless he lose his next fight), and one of the most exciting stand up fighters in MMA Paul Daley.
Not forgetting the undefeated EBU hevyweight champion Daz 'Raging Bull' Davis.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4