The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

+25
horizontalhero
Happytravelling
licence_007
huw
jammin
jamesedwardcox
bhb001
oxring
Super D Boon
HitmanOwl
WelshDevilRob
Steffan
6oldenbhoy
School Project
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sir. badgerhands
compelling and rich
Mind the windows Tino.
razzaq
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
eddyfightfan
29 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 3 Empty put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul - 14:25

First topic message reminder :

most people love there home town and will defend it to the hills, even against the odds. this thread is to put forwards your reasons why you think your home town is the true heart of the boxing world, name the great champions and any boxing related claim to fames....

i'll start, firstly my home town is sheffield and its the best boxing city because....

it is home to the one and only prince naseem hamed, and his one time gym mate bredon ingle, and ryan rhodes. it's also home to old time legend "bomber" graham and is still home to his gym. we have the institute of sport where the olympic team train. it is also home to curtis woodhouse who recently lost a questionable SD to frank gavin, as well as huge heavyweight prospect richard "inferno" towers.

our biggest hope at the moment is kell brook, who recently defeat tough opponent n'dou, in sheffield, he actually walked to the fight from his home as he lived across the road.

Last edited by eddyfightfan on Thu 28 Jul - 15:36; edited 1 time in total

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 3 Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jul - 16:13

I can't believe this, I played the Steve Lewsam card early, effectively ending this as an argument, and still it goes on...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage.... - Page 3 Empty Re: put your case forward why your city has the best boxing heritage....

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul - 16:16

It's of wonderment to me Union, thought it was a done deal at that point to be honest.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 28 Jul - 16:18

Steffan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:Best one was we argued with these kids down the street. So me and my cousin drank loads of orange squash, then urinated into a bottle till it was full. Then we got up onto the roof of one of the houses (old fashioned flat roofing on some of them) and tipped our wee wee all over those kids. Think only one of them didnt cry if I remember. Yeah we ruled

We had a TV...

That explains you being the big fat couch potato you are today I guess

Fresh air I prefere thumbsup

If it keeps you happy... Just never saw the need to climb onto someone's roof in order to pour a bottle of my own urine-mixed with that of my cousin, lest I forget that part-over some neighbourhood kids. Personally I was more inclined towards burning things, but to each his own I guess...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:18

oxring wrote:Before this degenerates into and Wales v England slagging match - could we please make sure things do not cross the line of banter.

Can we call the line Offa's Dyke?

(only joking)

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:21

[quote="BALTIMORA"]
Steffan wrote:
If it keeps you happy... Just never saw the need to climb onto someone's roof in order to pour a bottle of my own urine-mixed with that of my cousin, lest I forget that part-over some neighbourhood kids. Personally I was more inclined towards burning things, but to each his own I guess...

I went to a boarding school. we used to amuse ourselves by taking aerosol cans deep into the woods. We'd build little bonfires and throw the cans before taking cover. Some of them went up like rockets. Beats playing with the Wii any day....

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 28 Jul - 16:23

[quote="razzaq"]
BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I went to a boarding school. we used to amuse ourselves by taking aerosol cans deep into the woods. We'd build little bonfires and throw the cans before taking cover. Some of them went up like rockets. Beats playing with the Wii any day....

raz, are you from Hampshire or Surrey?

If you're from Surrey and went to Boarding School you're the poshest chap on here!!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 28 Jul - 16:25

Weaverham
[Extracted from The Knowwhere Guide]
All the great weaverham boxers who fought in the A.B.A.championships howard furmston, karl griffiths,peter adams,kevin dunne, karl furmston

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul - 16:25

[quote="Sir. badgerhands"]
razzaq wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:

raz, are you from Hampshire or Surrey?

If you're from Surrey and went to Boarding School you're the poshest chap on here!!!
Not sure about that old boy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul - 16:26

[quote="razzaq"]
BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:

we did the same thing with tins of baked beans

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:26

Sir. badgerhands wrote:raz, are you from Hampshire or Surrey?

On the boarder

Last edited by razzaq on Thu 28 Jul - 16:28; edited 1 time in total

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 28 Jul - 16:27

razzaq wrote:
oxring wrote:Before this degenerates into and Wales v England slagging match - could we please make sure things do not cross the line of banter.

Can we call the line Offa's Dyke?

(only joking)

Very well - The Offa's Dyke of banter.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jul - 16:28

We used to do this thing where you would turn your Raleigh Grifter upside down and then spin the pedal like mad to get the back wheel going, then the idea was to approach the spinning wheel of death very slowly with your legs apart and you had to burn a hole in the groin of your trousers without catching your tadger.

Kids, eh.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Jul - 16:29

bhb001 wrote:Weaverham
[Extracted from The Knowwhere Guide]
All the great weaverham boxers who fought in the A.B.A.championships howard furmston, karl griffiths,peter adams,kevin dunne, karl furmston

right bhb001, this is scary.....I used to live in Weaverham. Small world.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul - 16:30

Union Cane wrote:We used to do this thing where you would turn your Raleigh Grifter upside down and then spin the pedal like mad to get the back wheel going, then the idea was to approach the spinning wheel of death very slowly with your legs apart and you had to burn a hole in the groin of your trousers without catching your tadger.

Kids, eh.

i'd have loved hearing the creative lies told to your mom to explain why the croch on your trousers wore out so quickly

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:31

Union Cane wrote:We used to do this thing where you would turn your Raleigh Grifter upside down and then spin the pedal like mad to get the back wheel going, then the idea was to approach the spinning wheel of death very slowly with your legs apart and you had to burn a hole in the groin of your trousers without catching your tadger.

Kids, eh.

Ahh the Grifter. Had a Burner myself.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 28 Jul - 16:33

The dirt burner! I had one of those!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:37

Super D Boon wrote:The dirt burner! I had one of those!

Just A Raleigh Burner.
Spoiler:

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesedwardcox Thu 28 Jul - 16:40

alma wrote:Leamington Spa. Not a city, but Randy Turpin did beat SRR, so.....

i'm from leamington spa too. small world

got a couple of appalling pictures of me posing with the turpin statue in warwick

jamesedwardcox

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 28 Jul - 16:46

I had the Raleigh Street Wolf. Used to make noises when you pressed the button and that

Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul - 16:47

Can't remember the name of mine. A little bright green thing, the Raleigh Max afterwards.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Thu 28 Jul - 16:48

Bethnal Green (London) - York Hall.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:52

Steffan wrote:I had the Raleigh Street Wolf. Used to make noises when you pressed the button and that

Spoiler:

laughing

I remember those!!!!

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 28 Jul - 16:52

Kids, eh.

I had a Grifter. Wanted a BMX so was somewhat disappointed by by the Grifter. I realise now though that BMXs are equally poo.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:55

BALTIMORA wrote:

Kids, eh.

I had a Grifter. Wanted a BMX so was somewhat disappointed by by the Grifter. I realise now though that BMXs are equally poo.

A Grifter was very much more of a saloon car thing - Ford Mondeo perhaps. Your Burner was definately your Golf GTi Mk1

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jul - 16:55

The Raleigh Grifter :

Spoiler:

Mine, of course, had spokey-dokeys and stunt-pegs.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 28 Jul - 16:56

Family originally from Merthyr, so we had a few:

Howard Winston
Johnny Owen
Eddie Thomas

We also have three statues, so possibly the most statues of boxers, must make us the winners!

Although I now live in Feltham, Middx where we have the young offenders prison, so the majority of boxers that have had any connection here did so as kids! Randy Turpin did train for one of his fights at the Airman pub in Feltham though.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul - 16:56

Stunt pegs were necessary for backies.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul - 16:56

The Street Wolf was obvioulsy the DeLorien from Back to the Future......

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jul - 17:07

The big boys used to have Raleigh Bombers, beasts they were.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 28 Jul - 17:08

razzaq wrote:The Street Wolf was obvioulsy the DeLorien from Back to the Future......

Couple kids I knew had Street Wolf bikes. Amazing how much difference an angular black mudguard makes to a ten-year-old boy. It was just a slightly jazzed-up BMX, for Christ's sake!!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul - 17:09

I had a Team Aero Pro Burner, the red white and blue one, was a beauty, white skyway mags on it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Thu 28 Jul - 17:10

We have Buchanan?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Jul - 17:11

Not sure it's a fair comparison but I'm from London so can pick from Kid Lewis, Honeyghan, Magri, Duke McKenzie, Benn, Eubank, Bruno and Lewis (I've probably missed loads). As well as more recently Haye and young upstarts Groves and DeGale. For a little quantity over quality I'll throw in Williams and Harrison (Olympic gold lets not forget...) too!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 28 Jul - 17:22

rowley wrote:I had a Team Aero Pro Burner, the red white and blue one, was a beauty, white skyway mags on it.

thought this would have been yours jeff

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=old+bike&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=683&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=dU61C8t0CuAA0M:&imgrefurl=http://3riversepiscopal.blogspot.com/2010/11/used-bikes-can-change-peoples-lives.html&docid=K0lynGR3VVdp9M&w=1200&h=1200&ei=P4sxTt7SKMrLhAe25LWMCw&zoom=1

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu 28 Jul - 21:29

Badger - Camberley had the 3 gypsy brothers... oh, can't remember their names but one laid my parents drive... but they were all Brit/commonwealth/euro champs.

The first HW title was in the grounds of what is now Farnborough Hill School and, I understand, the Ship used to be a bareknuckle venue...

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu 28 Jul - 21:30

In the UK it has to be between London, Manchester and Sheffield.. somebody earlier forgot Paul Jones from Sheffield.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 28 Jul - 23:31

I used to live in Brighton-cue jokes about battered in the ring etc

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 29 Jul - 8:38

compelling and rich wrote:runcorn horrible place! best known thing about them is the bridge being on start of two pints of lager and a packet of crisps!!

the train station is a sight to behold also, made even worse that the next two at helsby and frodsham are pretty nice!

Ahhh the Runcorn/Widnes bridge. What a horrific structure that is. I never quite worked out whether it was better to leave Widnes and arrive in Runcorn or do the reverse. Rock and hard place spring to mind.

I lived in Frodsham for a good few years. Lovely little place and also where Gary Barlow comes from. Not sure if he ever boxed though.

I have been exiled dahn sarf for a while now but this thread has made me yearn for the grim old North again.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 29 Jul - 8:56

Happytravelling wrote:Badger - Camberley had the 3 gypsy brothers... oh, can't remember their names but one laid my parents drive... but they were all Brit/commonwealth/euro champs.

The first HW title was in the grounds of what is now Farnborough Hill School and, I understand, the Ship used to be a bareknuckle venue...

I'd forgotten all about them.

Was the Collins brothers.

Should have remembered them as I watched Georgie Collins fight Kirkland Laing in Reading.

Had heard about The Ship Pub, but didn't realize the the Heenan Sayers fight was at Farnborough Hill.

Thanks for the info. Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri 29 Jul - 9:25

What's the Ship like in Farnborough? Moved to North Camp about a year ago and not really found a decent boozer yet.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 29 Jul - 9:28

razzaq wrote:What's the Ship like in Farnborough? Moved to North Camp about a year ago and not really found a decent boozer yet.

Isn't it against your religion to drink?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri 29 Jul - 9:31

Union Cane wrote:
razzaq wrote:What's the Ship like in Farnborough? Moved to North Camp about a year ago and not really found a decent boozer yet.

Isn't it against your religion to drink?

Only between the hours of 9am - 5pm.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 29 Jul - 9:39

HAHA, I'm just up the road from you!!!

Haven't been in the Ship for years wasn't a bad boozer.

Have you sampled the delights of the The North Camp and Elephant and Castle pubs yet?

They make the pub in American Werewolf in London look welcoming.

If you should come across a pub called The Fox steer well clear.

The Swan is a nice place though, on the Airport Road and within staggering distance of North Camp.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri 29 Jul - 9:47

Sir. badgerhands wrote:

Have you sampled the delights of the The North Camp and Elephant and Castle pubs yet?

The Swan is a nice place though, on the Airport Road and within staggering distance of North Camp.

The Swan is the best I've sampled so far. Haven't had the balls to go into the 2 on North Camp parade. They look a bit yocal although that's the kind of place I'm looking for. Live round the corner from the Squirrel by the bowls green. Unfortunately the Squirrel is one of those places advertises 2 meals for £6.00 which is an instant no go for me. There's always ketchup on tables in places like that and squashed peas on the carpet.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 29 Jul - 9:51

razzaq wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:

The Swan is the best I've sampled so far. Haven't had the balls to go into the 2 on North Camp parade. They look a bit yocal although that's the kind of place I'm looking for. Live round the corner from the Squirrel by the bowls green. Unfortunately the Squirrel is one of those places advertises 2 meals for £6.00 which is an instant no go for me. There's always ketchup on tables in places like that and squashed peas on the carpet.

Try the Thatched Cottage.

Bit of a locals pub, but one where you don't have to fear being cornered by a bunch of rabid ruffians!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 29 Jul - 9:53

razzaq wrote:

There's always ketchup on tables in places like that and squashed peas on the carpet.

Sounds like my house.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 29 Jul - 10:01

STOKE CITY - The man himself Scott Lawton! And of course our Champ at the moment, Chris Edwars.

I now live in Telford though having just moved here in April so i suppose i could could talk about Richie Woodhall?

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul - 10:09

my mate who is from stoke now lives in sheffield, he moved into a house and found out he was room mates with curtis woodhouse

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 29 Jul - 16:22

Depends whether you base the argument per head of population or total amount of boxing heritage. Has to be London in total because it is miles bigger than anywhere else in the UK.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 29 Jul - 16:23

Las Vegas...Must of the greats come from my ends.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next