The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu

Go down

Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu Empty Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

Chelsea have signed midfielder Oriol Romeu on a four-year contract from Barcelona for £4.35m.

The fee was agreed 11 days ago and the deal includes a buy-back clause of 10m euros after one year and 15m euros after two for the Spanish champions.

Romeu will arrive at Stamford Bridge once he has finished playing for Spain at the Under-20 World Cup in Colombia.

The 19-year-old has played in both of their games so far, a 4-1 victory over Costa Rica and 2-0 win over Ecuador.

The 19-year-old made two first-team appearances for Barca last season, making his first-team debut at the end of last season, but he was not part of boss Pep Guardiola's long-term plans at the Nou Camp.

Romeu, who spent most of the campaign playing for their B team in the Spanish second division, said earlier this week: "Chelsea is a great option for me.

"Leaving Barca hurts, but you have to take your chances."

The signing is a boost for new Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas who will be without Michael Essien for six months.

The Ghana international, 28, ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus during pre-season training.

Watch Barcelona in five years when he's a top class player claim that Chelsea stole him from his "true home" and tap him up on international duty. Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu Empty Re: Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

So really it could be equivalent to a £5m loan for the first year? Barca seem to have a way of working buy back clause in to thir player departures, Bojan's is probably the most stunning I've seen.

Haven't seen/heard much about this kid. Wonder how many chances he'll get this season and how his signing will affect McEachran.

Back to top Go down

Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu Empty Re: Chelsea sign Barcelona midfielder; Oriol Romeu

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

What was Bojan's deal?

I wonder whether this deal was being planned before or after Essien's injury? I would have thought they wouldn't have bothered with a panic buy for just a six month period.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

AVB made a bid for the guy when he was at Porto, so I take it he just wanted to bring him in regardless.

Bojan was sold to Roma for 12m euros and after two seasons Barcelona have to sign him for 13m euros, but Roma can block this is they bid an extra 28m euros. So effectively Roma get Bojan for a couple of seasons to give him 1st time experience and let him grow and could make 1m euros off him, or they end up payinga grand total of 40m euros for the guy. Really can't see them stumping up that much cash.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

Italian transfers are always really dodgy though to be fair.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Italian transfers are always really dodgy though to be fair.

Mhm. Co-ownership is something I've never been able to get my head around.

So now for Chelsea in the centre of midfield they have Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ramires, McEachran, Romeu. With Piazon joining in January as an attacking midfielder/striker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 9:09 am

Just saw this in the BBC Gossip column:

Chelsea teenager Oriol Romeu, who joined last week from Barcelona on a four-year deal, has revealed he would like to return to the Spanish giants in the future.
Full story: Metro

My prediction may actually come true.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down