The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

+17
NedB-H
Bob_the_Job
Rossa
oldparwin
McLaren
Maverick
Davie
Gareth_NI
Faldono1fan
Lairdy
Diggers
JPX
Rangiora
gaelgowfer
MustPuttBetter
sharrison01
JDandfries
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt? Empty Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

Now I am not saying he was faking it, but he was definately milking it.

The shot he took on was stupid, really stupid - wonder what those US commentators said about that? - and I have no doubt it might have hurt a little bit, but the next three hours of posturing, letting go of the club, changing hand for putting his tee in, (but then leaning on his driver as he did so) lead me to believe he was just hamming it up.

Was everyone else as bored with the numerous interviews with Physios, and embeleshment from monty etc? I found it tedious at best, and was largely p'd off with it.

Rory - if it is really hurt, walk off the course, if not, be a man, and get on with it!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt? Empty Re: Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:53 am

The pain of watching their coverage of "wristgate" was certainly more painful for us than the physical pain that Rory was feeling!

The problem with wrist injuries is that the slightest injury can make a huge difference because even swinging easy will hurt a load. I've done ligaments in both my hands in the past so still have weaknesses and they are really strange - at one angle I feel absolutely nothing and at another angle I can barely lift a cup of tea!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt? Empty Re: Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

It didn't bore me one bit.

It makes me laugh that people want to see exciting sport and then you get a young lad battling through with an injury, still playing some top golf and not giving up, and people criticise. It's hilarious.

I guarantee you if he'd just walked off there would be a bunch of people on here (probably the same moaning now) calling him a quitter, let down his fans etc.....

Jokers! Rolling Eyes
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

The thing is though, we have all jarred our wrists while playing golf and just got on with it! If he had done his ligaments, he wouldnt have been able to play on.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

It was boring must putt - I want to watch golf (which is hard enough on SKY anyway due to good old US coverage) not listen to 3 different Physios eplain a minor wrist ailment to me, or listen to Monty and Livingstone whine on.

AND I wouldnt be calling him a quitter if he had walked off, what I would be saying though, was how stupid he was for taking the shot on in the first place, and how numb his caddie must be to let him.

Anyone know if Jay Townsend has his say on it?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

Unfortunately for Rory, he doesn't 'do' pecentage shots. It's all or nothing.

I wonder though if his decision to carry on had something to do with it being the final major of the year?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

I didn't find it boring JD so it's subjective isn't it.
As much as i want to watch golf, i don't want to watch shot after shot with no analysis or insight. I find that sometimes as interesting as the golf.
McIlroy is the favourite, an incident happened, they covered it.
What do you expect them to do?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

Gael he said afterwards that it was 7 or 8 months until the Masters so i think you're spot on.
If we were in April the outcome may well have been different!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:13 am

We get US coverage and yes the commentators called the consequences of the risks of taking the shot on and were suggesting he should have walked in

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

MPB, I'm happy with a larger proportion of the coverage going to Rory but for me it was the way that they kept speaking with the physios and tour people and asking the same questions only to get exactly the same answers. Di Dougherty seemed like she had gone to the "Kay Birley school of interviewing" with the way she thought that asking a question over and over will eventually grind the interviewee down so that they give a less than diplomatic answer...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

It was clearly a daft shot to take on, and I have to ask what again was his caddie doing letting him play it?

Nevertheless, his own stupid fault.

I'm not sure he was milking it though, playing golf with any kind of wrist injury, even a slight twinge, can be very painful.

I think it was more a case of "wince for the cameras just so they are sure that bad shot was down to the wrist", which got a bit much.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

It wasnt subjective though, because no one questioned the shot at all - it was more like someone had died, than stupidly hurt themselves.

I can only imagine the furore if Woods had been given the same coverage for a similar mistake!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

The fact that it can be considered boring is clearly subjective. I didn't find it boring therefore point proven
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

He does also actually have two hands, there wasnt a lot of need to drop his club after every single shot. Including dropping it on the tee a few times.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:43 am

I found the coverage of the injury a little tedious after a while and not just because it took away something from the coverage of the actual golf but I thought the commentary team let him off lightly. Anyone else but the current media darling and they would have went through any player who would attempt that shot.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

US commentators gave him a hard time !!

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

Sharrison, fair enough re Dougherty but however they'd covered it would have upset someone.
The fact that they covered it can't be a surprise.

And to get at Rory for 'milking it' is hilarious
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

Yes, it needed covering, but

We didnt need to see him getting his fingers pulled while The Open and Masters Champions were teeing off, 3 times that happened!

We didnt need to see him standing there holding ice on it for 5 minutes.

And he was milking it, totally

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

I didn't think he was milking it and am well aware of how difficult wrist injuries are to swing a club with. I was also happy for them to cover it but it was the repetitiveness of the interviewers that I found a bit tiresome. No great surprise on Sky though tbh - choosing people for their looks instead of journalistic skills is hardly a new thing.

I did feel a bit sorry for his playing partners though as it can't be great having to stop and start and with everyone focusing on Rory's hand. Not sure that it can go anywhere near to excusing Clarke's 78 though...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

It was a silly shot to take on, but he is young and thought he could execute the shot without hurting himself. He got it wrong simple as.

I hurt my wrist on the driving range before a medal on Tuesday and should have not played, but I was meeting a guy from work and didn't want to let him down. It was my right wrist (like Rory) and the problem I had was hinging at the top correctly and hitting down on the ball for iron shots. Hurt like hell and so I definitely don't think he was milking it and have the utmost admiration for the round he played subsequently.

Far from being boring is if he goes onto win from here it will be a hell of a story. Similar to woods winning the US open on one leg?

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

I felt a bit sorry for his playing partners too but that doesn't mean McIlroy was at fault.

JD, if you call seeking treatment and advice at each available opportunity milking it then yeah sure, i guess he was.
From where i was sitting i couldn't see any milking it. Once he got the bandage/strap thing on it i hardly saw him do anything otther than sepak with the physio whilst walking every now and then.

So he dropped the club a few times. So what?! Dropping the club has no ill effect on anyone else and the reason people get upset with the likes of Tiger is because he's doing it out of anger, poor ettiquette etc. That's slightly different to why Rory was doing it.

It's like people just want to have a go. No wonder he wants to go back to America!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

I would agree that the coverage coming from the US in regards to Wristgate was OTT, however its hardly Rory's fault is it. Yes, he played a stupid shot, however its not as if hes a TV/Network director, if the cameramen decide to film him having his wrist taped/iced/receiving treatment from pysio, and the Networks cover it then there lies the issue. It did however take away from quite flawless golf from Stricker.

I don't get however how anyone can even suggest that he was milking/playing up to it, he was "ill advised" and used very poor judgement to take such a shot on (I too would question JP's strength to be able to "shoot him down"), but you could tell from the reaction of the club that he put everything behind the shot (revolutions of the club head upon contact).

I detest anybody letting go/dropping a club, however I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I can only think of a couple of shots which were off target.

I would also suggest that if this wasn't a major he would have quit by holes 4/5.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

I tried to get into it last night and switched over right as he was getting treatment and found it all a bit tedious. I thought he milked the effects of it a bit, touch of the man flu's as far as Im concerned.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

That is another thing, was that bandage legal? I have seen people strap their arms up like that to practise putting, but the strapping be illegal for regulation play?

As for the treatment he kept seeking, if it is that bad, get off the course, I'd have been furious with him as a playing partner - and incidently the chatting to the Physios was being done on camera while Shwarztzel and Clarke were hitting shots - very porr etiquette!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

It seemed to me that Darren Clarke wasn't over impressed with all the attention it was getting either!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

I actually think wristgate detracted from a good days golf by other players.

I also think the bleating on about it by Roe and Monty was over the top. Players that want to win take risks he took one and hurt himself. I don't believe it was as bad as has been made out at the nd of the day if he was in that much pain he wouldn't have been able to play on. Also what a great storey he will have now if he gets a T3 finish..

I didn't think that type of strapping was legal either, maybe a tubigrip bandage yes but that was much more than that. Also totally disrepectful the way it was done during other players shots.

Why did it need to be the most important matter of the day, what about something far better the fact Stricker shot a low round major equalling 63 and had a putt for a 62.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

Davie wrote:It seemed to me that Darren Clarke wasn't over impressed with all the attention it was getting either!

I would have thought that he was pleased that people were looking at Rory's wrist as oppose to watching his golf game!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

JDandfries wrote:As for the treatment he kept seeking, if it is that bad, get off the course,

Why?????
So in your judgement there is no injury at all which is bad enough to be painful and warrant some treatment but can be played on with?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

Having had wrist injuries, one suffered in almost identical circustances (except the root was underground and not visible), I know that it is never so ambiguous.

It is either too badly damamged to play on, or it is a minor jar, and causes very little long term problem.

It was clearly not affecting his swing, it may have been painful, but it wasn't physically an issue.

Personally i think he hammed it up, to attempt to gain sypathy and deflect the real issue which was the decision to take the shot.

If he pulls out today, I will take it all back, however should he play on, I think it will only go to show, it wasnt that bad at all!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

What about Clarke, he must have hit about a 78 stupid shots to rack up that number. Why dont people lay into him for binging for a month instead of building on a major win?

Never mind one slightly wrong decision on the way to a solid major first round.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm

McLaren wrote:What about Clarke, he must have hit about a 78 stupid shots to rack up that number. Why dont people lay into him for binging for a month instead of building on a major win?

Because the rest of us would have done the same as clark, binged for a month and enjoyed the win, I believe DC himself said after that victory the rest of the year is just irrelvant until it has sunk in.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm

JD,

How can you compare a shot between above ground "roots" to a shot on top of hard ground? What you have done is a "stinger", regardless of what the commentators have called it, McIlroy did not hit a stinger.

If it was "hammed up" as you describe it for 1/2 holes afterwards, I would probably agree with you, the shot in question was on hole 3 and he was still in obvious pain come the 18th.

Regarding the bandage/straping, how on earth do you constitute that as being illegal? I assume officials where with them and would have been consulted before deciding on that route, so that argument doesnt stand one iota imo.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

Gareth, I guess you are just one of the few that bought his 'obvious pain' - which seemed to come on just for the cameras.

Thhe two shots I described were identical, but I hit a route I didnt see, so wasnt expecting it- he at least let go of the club.

For me, he basically made a mountain out of a molehill and I was p'd off that I had to endure 3 hours of coverage because of it - of course that wasnt his doing!!

Last edited by JDandfries on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

I would blame the caddy for letting him play the shot, had he been force full enough, and said to Rory your major could end here, by playing this stupid shot, and it was a stupid shot to take on, then Rory might have thought twice about it, but question marks remain about how good Rory's caddy is???

And I agree with others than I tuned in to watch golf, and not watch Rory being treated for his self inflicted injury.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

oldparwin wrote:I would blame the caddy for letting him play the shot, had he been force full enough, and said to Rory your major could end here, by playing this stupid shot, and it was a stupid shot to take on, then Rory might have thought twice about it, but question marks remain about how good Rory's caddy is???

And I agree with others than I tuned in to watch golf, and not watch Rory being treated for his self inflicted injury.

Totally agree - the caddie seems to say very little to Rory and i find myself agreeing with Jay Townsend, more, everytime I see Rory play!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

Maverick wrote:
McLaren wrote:What about Clarke, he must have hit about a 78 stupid shots to rack up that number. Why dont people lay into him for binging for a month instead of building on a major win?

Because the rest of us would have done the same as clark, binged for a month and enjoyed the win, I believe DC himself said after that victory the rest of the year is just irrelvant until it has sunk in.

Clarke wouldn't have worried about shooting a 78 in the first round of a major last year so he won't be worried about it now - just because he has now got his name etched into history with a major, I wouldn't expect him to suddenly dominate the game. I know that after The Open he said that he can win more majors but that was just being professional and giving the media and tour what they want rather than saying the reality that it is very unlikely that he will even compete in another major and now that he has won one that is absolutely fine by him. Clarke probably knows that he will not win another major and respects that there is more to life than silverware - good luck to him IMO.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

I'm amazed how much analysis is going into one shot?!?! He made a bad decision, he'll make many more - end of. His caddy is constantly being questioned because of that idiot's comments when realistically no-one knows what relationship Rory has with his caddy and before those comments no-one even knew his caddy's name. Rory's a really single minded guy, another trait that he is constantly criticised on here for, and now everyone is having a go at his caddy for not trying to change his mind?!?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

The fast majority of people who watch golf, like Darren Clarke, and want to see him doing well and in contention, but knowing Clarke as we do(Ryder Cup with Woosnam) we know he likes to celebrate, and just after winning the biggest prize in golf, he will be celebrating all year, and who can blame him, just raise a glass and say cheers Darren guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

JDandfries wrote:Having had wrist injuries, one suffered in almost identical circustances (except the root was underground and not visible), I know that it is never so ambiguous.

It is either too badly damamged to play on, or it is a minor jar, and causes very little long term problem.

It was clearly not affecting his swing, it may have been painful, but it wasn't physically an issue.

Personally i think he hammed it up, to attempt to gain sypathy and deflect the real issue which was the decision to take the shot.

Oh, the old "i've done that and it wasn't so bad........"
I broke my leg once like Aaron Ramsey and played on, what's his problem. Da da da

He chose a poor shot, it hurt, he played on - pretty well, to his credit.

JDandfries wrote:If he pulls out today, I will take it all back, however should he play on, I think it will only go to show, it wasnt that bad at all!

Sure, because there's no way it could be painful but ok to play with. That situation just doesn't exist. Hmm........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

I thought you have missed the point the first time round Must Putt and given your jibe about Arron ramsey's leg, I am certain you have.

Because if you had got the point you wouldn't have chosen Ramsey's injury as an example - one of the worst leg breaks ive seen - because the facts are it would have been impossible for Ramsey to play on, yet Mcillroy manged to, and shot a very good score!

So surely, if it was that bad (which if u watched u would have thought he had lost an arm), he wouldnt have played on THAT is the point?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

The point (that you appear to have missed) is i don't give any weight to the old 'i've done that bla bla bla'. You don't know what he's done so can't possibly know if you've done it.

The point is you said if it hurt so much that he needed the physio he should have left the course. I asked why? So why?

"So surely, if it was that bad, he wouldnt have played on?"

What do you mean by 'that bad'?? No one's saying his arm is fallnig off. Was it bad enough to need attention and yet mean he could play on? Err, yes!

"if u watched u would have thought he had lost an arm" - why would you?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

Perhaps the point is that if it were bad enough to require continued physio, then it was perhaps foolish to continue knowing he had another 69 holes to play, with the potential to cause long term damage.

Look at how Luke Donald's career was put on hold for possibly as long as a couple of years before he finally got over his wrist problem (though he was back playing before that but he wasn't the player he had been, never mind the player he has become now)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

Davie agreed, but according to the Sky team, the physio was overheard telling him he was not going to do further damage by playing on, if he could cope with the short term pain.
Whether we agree on that or not, they are the specialists and he made a decision based on that.
I don't see the problem. In fact i think it's a credit to him.
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

Why don't u hold any weight to the 'ive done it' arguement?

If someone said they had been hit by a bus and it hurt, would you say the same?

I didnt say he should leave it it needed Physio, but had he genuinely not been able to put a tee in the ground like it seemed (despite leaning on his driver while doing so with his 'bad' hand then he would not have been able to hit the ball - which he miraculiusly managed for another 15 holes!

To an untrained eye watching, you would have though he had lost an arm, they spent about 30 minutes with no golf, interviewed 3 Physios and replayed the shot about 50 times - all the while Monty and Roe and Livingstone saying how bad it looked and Rory whincing when he had seen the ball land!

Like I said though, if he withdraws before todays round, I'll take it back and acknowledge that it probably requires amputation! Whistle

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

[quote="MustPuttBetter"]Davie agreed, but according to the Sky team, the physio was overheard telling him he was not going to do further damage by playing on, if he could cope with the short term pain.

i think we overheard that conversation while Charl was teeing off, no doubt Charl heard it too

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

"Why don't u hold any weight to the 'ive done it' arguement?"
Because i've heard it a hundred times and it almost always means nothing. Why would i hold any weight to it??
He's probably not long known what the problem was. You definitely don't know what the problem was so you can't possibly know if you've had the same injury. Therefore you can't possibly know how it felt, how much treatment it needed or if he was hamming it up. Which is what you seem to be basing your view on.

"As for the treatment he kept seeking, if it is that bad, get off the course," - were your EXACT words.
Now that you'll have to admit you said it i'll ask again - why?

"To an untrained eye watching, you would have though he had lost an arm" - exaggerated much???
"they spent about 30 minutes with no golf" - not on the coverage i was watching they didn't
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

We should maybe not hand out too much praise to tiger winning on one leg as he is yet to recover from that, 2.5 years later.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

I was thinking and have stated that that Rory seems to make some form of faux pas at every tournament these days, either he says something or does something... the more i think about it the more i think, he's probably been doing these things for the past 3 or 4 years but only since his US Open win have the media been scrutinising him to such a degree, highlighting every single thing.

It seems the the press have decided to replace Tiger with Rory for the time being in terms of the coverage as Tiger cannot be reiled up on to a) turn up, b) finish his round when he does, c) make the cut when he does finish a couple of rounds. The press won't change so if we are going not hear a weekly 'nothing story' about Rory that is discussed to death by commentators, then Rory will have to become more guarded with the press... which in a way is quite ironic...given his persona is part of his attraction.

On this weeks nothing story, he tried a daft shot got a sore wrist but could play on and did play on, to good effect, like most others its a non story but for the blanket coverage it received and the previous related story about his caddie being a bit of a yes man. (btw-you take a horse to water and all that.....)

Its a shame one of the great Major Championship rounds was overshadowed by some tape on McIlroy's wrist...

Last edited by Rossa on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling like a spaz)
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

Its a shame one of the great Major Championship rounds was overshadowed by some tape on McIlroy's wrist...

Sums it up perfectly for me

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:16 pm

Maverick wrote:

Sums it up perfectly for me

The two things happened at different times and both were covered to the max possible.

I don't see any articles on here this morning about Stricker's 63!
It's only been overshadowed by us!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next