The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

+17
NedB-H
Bob_the_Job
Rossa
oldparwin
McLaren
Maverick
Davie
Gareth_NI
Faldono1fan
Lairdy
Diggers
JPX
Rangiora
gaelgowfer
MustPuttBetter
sharrison01
JDandfries
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt? - Page 2 Empty Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Now I am not saying he was faking it, but he was definately milking it.

The shot he took on was stupid, really stupid - wonder what those US commentators said about that? - and I have no doubt it might have hurt a little bit, but the next three hours of posturing, letting go of the club, changing hand for putting his tee in, (but then leaning on his driver as he did so) lead me to believe he was just hamming it up.

Was everyone else as bored with the numerous interviews with Physios, and embeleshment from monty etc? I found it tedious at best, and was largely p'd off with it.

Rory - if it is really hurt, walk off the course, if not, be a man, and get on with it!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Its only been overshadowed because those of us who were only able to watch last nights coverage thought the only thing that happened was Rory breaking his wrist.

MPB - as for tehe physio comment - please read it in context!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Rory - was he actually that badly hurt? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rory - was he actually that badly hurt?

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

JD, i have. I may have misunderstood which is why i gave you 3 opportunities to clarify.
But you'd rather dodge it.

I don't blame you so fair enough thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

I was not fortunate enough to see Strickers round as I was working. So all I got last night was talk of Woods further demise and Rory's wristgate. So the coverage for me wasn't the greatest seeing nothing but repeats of the tree stump and physio's

Only made wosre by the fact Roe and DiDo felt it needed to go to the scene of the crime and show how to chip out sideways

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

Ok - in simple terms, just for you.

Rory - if it requires that much attention, it is clearly a very bad injury, so withdraw and get off the course and more importantly, get your limp wrist off my TV screen!

So if it is that bad to require all that attention, then he shouldnt be playing, ie he was milking it!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

DiDo did look rather attractive with her clothes sticking to her in the high humidity though Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Davie wrote:DiDo did look rather attractive with her clothes sticking to her in the high humidity though Wink

Would've looked better stuck to my living room floor in that humidity Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

So JD, is it impossible that it was painful, he could continue, but to do that he needed to be supplied with ice, painkillers and eventually a strapping?

Because as far as i could see that's what 'all that attention' was.

So if that is needed he shouldn't play on? Because it must be serious. There are no non serious injuries that require medical attention in that way? Is that what you're saying? Just for me......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:55 pm

Of course there are injuries that can be sore and still playable, but this is a golfers wrist, not a bang on the head for a Rugby player - a wrist that is imperative in the golf swing.

What I am saying is - that he was milking it, attention seeking if you will, and it clearly wasn't as bad as he was making out because if it had been, he wouldnt have been able to shoot the score he did.

Personally i think the strapping was illegal, and would have offered nothing in the way of pain relief at all.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

On the subject of "illegal" there was also some discussion by the commentators when, later on in the round, Rory found himself in more scruffy, possibly root-infested ground. The physio was seem to apparently tell him "no, don't play that shot". Isn't that outside advice?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

Yep, it sure is - I am genuinely surprised nothing has been said about the strapping

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

Davie wrote:On the subject of "illegal" there was also some discussion by the commentators when, later on in the round, Rory found himself in more scruffy, possibly root-infested ground. The physio was seem to apparently tell him "no, don't play that shot". Isn't that outside advice?

I saw that shot/heard their comments to... indeed I would deem that advice from an outside agency.. Interesting point

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

I don't see your logic JD.
You seem to be saying your medical diagnosis is, from the amount of treatment he received, it must have been serious and therefore it was impossible for him to have played on and shoot that score.

Yet we both know that legth of treatment is no indication of seriousness of the injury. None whatsoever. So the logic falls apart.

It seemed to me that he wanted ice which he got, then they tried to ascertian the seriousness of it, then they gave him anti inflamatories and painkillers and then strapped it up.

That all adds up to a fair few minutes of treatment. I don't see how any of it indicates to the injury being a serious one.

Lets agree to disagree
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

That is the point, if it took all that time, for something that he was able to shoot under par for his next 15 holes with, then it shouldnt have take all that time.

Rory - I hurt my wrist there.

Can you still swing?

Rory - Yes

Does it hurt.

Rory - Yes

Get a physio over, a few stretches, and he says no perminant damage so ok to play on.

Right Rory, your arm wont fall off, so take these painkillers, play on, and stop being a wuss!

But yes we shall agree to disagree!

Anyone know if he has pulled out?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

JDandfries wrote:That is the point, if it took all that time, for something that he was able to shoot under par for his next 15 holes with, then it shouldnt have take all that time.

Rory - I hurt my wrist there.

Can you still swing?

Rory - Yes

Does it hurt.

Rory - Yes

Get a physio over, a few stretches, and he says no perminant damage so ok to play on.

Right Rory, your arm wont fall off, so take these painkillers, play on, and stop being a wuss!

But yes we shall agree to disagree!

Anyone know if he has pulled out?

He's playing, starting on the 10th and is level through the first 5 (1 bogey, 1 birdie)
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

He's out on the course at the moment. Level par after 5

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

Next time i get an injury JD, remind me not to come to you thumbsup

He's out there. Currently level par after 5 holes
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

JDandfries wrote:That is the point, if it took all that time, for something that he was able to shoot under par for his next 15 holes with, then it shouldnt have take all that time.

Oh - forgot to mention, that ^, is a load of old balls. Time needed to assess is not a measure of severity.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

JD, I don't really get what your problem is with what Rory did? He hurt his wrist and decided to make use of the tour's regulations on seeking outside medical assistance. Regardless of how much he had hurt his wrist, he is completely entitled to do this so whether or not you think it is a bad injury or not or he should have carried on or stopped, he has done nothing in this respect that is outside of the rules. If he had got a tiny splinter in his little finger and decided that 15 minutes with a sexy nurse would make it all better then he would again be entitled to do this within the rules. To make such sweeping statements about an injury where the big concern would have been long term damage and not whether or not he could finish the round, as his livelihood depends on long term fitness, is quite ridiculous and suggests that you have either never had a sports injury or have little knowledge of sporting injuries.

As for the strapping/outside assistance, they sound dubious to me but I do not know enough about the rather specific rules that these would fall under. I'm sure that Rory being "courted" by the PGA for membership next year will see it as a "Tiger moving a rock moment"...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:

Oh - forgot to mention, that ^, is a load of old balls. Time needed to assess is not a measure of severity.

Thank god, thought i was the only one!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:Oh - forgot to mention, that ^, is a load of old balls. Time needed to assess is not a measure of severity.

Thank God! Thought i was the only one...........

"Oh look, he's chopped his head off.. he's dead" Time taken to asses: 3 seconds. Severity: Really quite severe indeed

"I've got a pain in my chest" Time taken to asses: minutes, perhaps hours, maybe even days - turns out to be indigestion. Severity: Embarrassingly not

Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

People need to start reading in context here.
I am not saying he has broken any rules here, but the basically the whole evenings coverage was taken over by, what has turned out to be nothing at all. That is my problem - he milked it which is evidenced by the fact he has not withdrawn!

To assess a wrist injury, like that, I am told is quite a straight forward proceedure, and any tear or worse can be detected very easily.

It ws quite obviously not broken, and niether was there any serious ligament damage, so the worry of perminant damage was alayed very early, and yet his dubious strapping applied sometime after that.

I have had plenty of sports injuries, and having played golf for 30 years, i've had a fair few wrist issues, but it was quite easy to determine how serious it was through pain alone.

No need for a Physio on the course, ice or even some dubious strapping - on one occassion it hurt alot so I came off, turned out I had hyper extended my elbow or something.

Another time it hurt a bit, but I could manage the pain so I carried on.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:Oh - forgot to mention, that ^, is a load of old balls. Time needed to assess is not a measure of severity.

Thank God! Thought i was the only one...........

"Oh look, he's chopped his head off.. he's dead" Time taken to asses: 3 seconds. Severity: Really quite severe indeed

"I've got a pain in my chest" Time taken to asses: minutes, perhaps hours, maybe even days - turns out to be indigestion. Severity: Embarrassingly not

Smile

i hope that wasnt the best example you could come up with, and you just did it for comedy value! laughing

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

It was my fifth best example - the world's not ready for my numbers 1 to 4 Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

Hug

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

Just been watching some day 2 video of Rory from the pgatour.com website

Wrist and lower forearm very tightly strapped. Still letting go of the club after some shots (but not all)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Strange strapping really, given the way he injured it!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

JDandfries wrote:People need to start reading in context here.
I am not saying he has broken any rules here, but the basically the whole evenings coverage was taken over by, what has turned out to be nothing at all. That is my problem - he milked it which is evidenced by the fact he has not withdrawn!

To assess a wrist injury, like that, I am told is quite a straight forward proceedure, and any tear or worse can be detected very easily.

It ws quite obviously not broken, and niether was there any serious ligament damage, so the worry of perminant damage was alayed very early, and yet his dubious strapping applied sometime after that.

I have had plenty of sports injuries, and having played golf for 30 years, i've had a fair few wrist issues, but it was quite easy to determine how serious it was through pain alone.

No need for a Physio on the course, ice or even some dubious strapping - on one occassion it hurt alot so I came off, turned out I had hyper extended my elbow or something.

Another time it hurt a bit, but I could manage the pain so I carried on.

I'm afraid that I still don't see why Rory is the problem?!? If you had a big issue with the broadcasters or the US/Sky journalists then I can see your point and agree with you to an extent. However, you are criticising McIlroy because you were sick of seeing him get bandaged up every 5 seconds. Whether or not you think he was milking it is rather irrelevant as he has behaved in the way that he has because that is his prerogative and it is well within the rules of the event. However, you come across as if you are arguing that Rory should have acted differently to save you having to watch it which is very much misguided.

There are a whole host of other issues surrounding this incident - how his playing partners feel, did he break any rules, how useless are the journalists, how annoying are the networks, etc etc. You have chosen to focus your issue on Rory and whether or not he could/should be able to handle an injury that you know very little about...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

I know as much about the injury as you do, so it make my comments equally as valid as yours are.

In my OP I said the coverage was ridiculous, which it was, but in reality had rory not milked it (which is my opinion that he did) and just played on, without the ice, constant conflab with physio and the 'illegal' strapping, then the coverage might have been diluted a bit more.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

JDandfries wrote:I know as much about the injury as you do, so it make my comments equally as valid as yours are.

In my OP I said the coverage was ridiculous, which it was, but in reality had rory not milked it (which is my opinion that he did) and just played on, without the ice, constant conflab with physio and the 'illegal' strapping, then the coverage might have been diluted a bit more.

And if there had be no tree root and no injury, then even more dilution? I see the way you're thinking...so if he'd never played golf in the first place..zero coverage??? Did I get it right? Your logic is... errrr a work of art. Smile

On a golfing note, 1 under through 7 2over through 8!

Last edited by Bob_the_Job on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

I still think the bigger debate is the caddie, why didn't he insist he take a drop or chip out sideways, with Rorys game he would probably made par or at worse a bogey chipping out sideways.

He was very lucky, could easily have broken his wrist.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

JPX wrote:I still think the bigger debate is the caddie, why didn't he insist he take a drop or chip out sideways, with Rorys game he would probably made par or at worse a bogey chipping out sideways.

Maybe he tried
Maybe Rory says to him "don't ever tell me to play a different shot once i've made up my mind, i need to feel confident"...........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:01 pm

JPX wrote:I still think the bigger debate is the caddie, why didn't he insist he take a drop or chip out sideways, with Rorys game he would probably made par or at worse a bogey chipping out sideways.

He was very lucky, could easily have broken his wrist.

Rory is constantly criticised on here for his outspoken single mindedness and without that idiot Townsend, no body would even know who Rory's caddy was. Given Rory's apparent determination to pretty much do and say whatever he wants why would his relationship with his caddy be so different? He made a mistake, he'll make plenty more. He's young, determined and single minded which explains why he is already a major winner in his early 20's - why would he listen to anyone when this attitude is seemingly working so well?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

Maybe. If that were the case then I would say Rory pays him a lot of money to just completely ignore him.

A caddie's job is also to tell his player he is wrong sometimes, I suppose it's up to the player if he takes the advice, but I think it says more about the player who chooses to completey ignore advice where his writs is at stake!

Have to say also, a lot of questions being asked of his caddie since Augusta.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Bob the Gob- you say my logic is a work of art, immediately after writing that nonesene - you didnt really think that did you?

You can't see why Rory making a meal of his alleged injury that the camaeras and editors might be a little more attentive to him, IF it turns out serious?

Additionally, why is Townsend an idiot?

He only gavce his opinion, which I agreed with and you obviously didnt, and which would appear to be backed up by the wreckless way in which he got 'injured' yesterday!

it is one thing being single minded and another thing being plain stupid!

Last edited by JDandfries on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

JDandfries wrote:Sharrison - you say my logic is a work of art,

Errr actually that was me ... ooopppsss Rolling Eyes
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Have to agree with JD (that's twice in a week!)

Look at his options:

Chipping out sideways or taking a drop and dropping a shot or two, but avoiding serious injury?

or

Having a whack at a tree route, risk serious injury, risk his ball going anywhere and still costing him a shot or two?

Which is "determined and single minded" and which is just plain stupid?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

What a stupid thread....

Seriously hurt in terms of a major injury? No. But that doesn't mean it won't have hurt a hell of a lot. I'm sure it did, why on earth would he be "hamming it up", what possible reason could he have for getting ice, bandages etc that's more convincing than it genuinely hurting? It's not like he'd be getting any benefit from it, I'm sure he'd much rather have been playing a round at a normal pace, and gripping the club without a load of cloth wrapped round one hand.

It's amazing how desperate some people seem to be to put down someone once he gets a bit of success and some media attention. He played one ill-advised and reckless shot, criticise him for that if you must, but every player has them. From then on he didn't do anything much wrong. He was just trying to keep his round going and keep his tournament alive, nothing more.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:19 pm

Agree with that Ned, my point is that he chose the wrong option yes, but some seem to think that it proves he's single minded and determined, which makes him a major winner. Bizarre. I think he was a bit foolish.

I wonder what score he would be on now, injury free?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

Yep that's basically it JPX, he made one big mistake early in his round, and paid the price. All the other claims on this thread are frankly just overexcitement.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

NedB-H wrote:What a stupid thread....

Seriously hurt in terms of a major injury? No. But that doesn't mean it won't have hurt a hell of a lot. I'm sure it did, why on earth would he be "hamming it up", what possible reason could he have for getting ice, bandages etc that's more convincing than it genuinely hurting? It's not like he'd be getting any benefit from it, I'm sure he'd much rather have been playing a round at a normal pace, and gripping the club without a load of cloth wrapped round one hand.

It's amazing how desperate some people seem to be to put down someone once he gets a bit of success and some media attention. He played one ill-advised and reckless shot, criticise him for that if you must, but every player has them. From then on he didn't do anything much wrong. He was just trying to keep his round going and keep his tournament alive, nothing more.

Couldn't agree more.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

JDandfries wrote:Bob the Gob- you say my logic is a work of art, immediately after writing that nonesene - you didnt really think that did you?

You can't see why Rory making a meal of his alleged injury that the camaeras and editors might be a little more attentive to him, IF it turns out serious?

Additionally, why is Townsend an idiot?

He only gavce his opinion, which I agreed with and you obviously didnt, and which would appear to be backed up by the wreckless way in which he got 'injured' yesterday!

it is one thing being single minded and another thing being plain stupid!

"Bob the Gob" Gee you must have been a riot in the playground. I've never ever said anything about Townsend ... so.. you seem to have totally mixed up comments made by me and Sharrison. Can I suggest you take big deep breath or two, compose yourself and then, and only then begin to type.

Thanks in anticipation of something sensible to read
Hugs and kisses,
Bob the Knob ... Doh
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

C'mon JD - no need for childish name-calling

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

Give more air time to Poulter I say, that would give us something else to discuss! ha ha

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

I don't think it's a given McIlroy would have scored better had he not injured himself. His injury would have forced him to play within himself thereby not attacking the course to the same degree. Had he been his usual gung ho self, he could just as easily have stuffed up his score.

Indeed, I've been on the receiving end of a match when my opponent was unwell. She was one under when she beat me on the 17th.

I also think it's unfair to apportion any blame to the caddie. The simple fact is, we simply don't know what was said between them. Indeed, the caddie could well have advised him not to play but, in any event, at the end of the day, the only person who could make this decision was Rory himself.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:54 pm

Davie wrote:C'mon JD - no need for childish name-calling

It was a typo censored

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:I don't think it's a given McIlroy would have scored better had he not injured himself.
Nobody said he would have scored better?

gaelgowfer wrote:
I also think it's unfair to apportion any blame to the caddie. The simple fact is, we simply don't know what was said between them. Indeed, the caddie could well have advised him not to play but, in any event, at the end of the day, the only person who could make this decision was Rory himself.
Yes, as has been said the caddie may well have advised against, but how strongly? We seem to be questioning his caddie a lot lately.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

I think the caddy must take some of the blame recently for some of Rory,s gaffs.
Had Westwood, Donald or other top Pros been facing such a shot that Rory had, then their caddy's would have in there looking at all the different scenarios and would have been very much pro-active before the shot was attempted, but Rory's man was anything but active, in fact he seem to stand back and did not get involved in it.

Players and caddy's are supposed to be a team, but Rory looks to be on his own

Last edited by oldparwin on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

JPX

Nevertheless, you alluded to this ...

"I wonder what score he would be on now, injury free?."

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

Rory is now +3 after 13 and on the cut line

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:40 pm

and finished on +3 - should be safe I would think

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next