The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin

+2
Midnight Sting
ADMIN
6 posters

Go down

Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin  Empty Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin

Post by ADMIN Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 am

Frankie Gavin took another step forward in his promising professional career by stopping Michael Lomax after a dazzling display at York Hall.

The former world amateur champion was in complete control of the bout when his opponent's corner chose to throw in the towel in the seventh round of the welterweight contest.

Lomax, who came in with a good pedigree as a former Prizefighter winner, was completely outclassed in every department after taking the fight on short notice.

Gavin made a slick start to the contest, working well behind the jab to take the first round in convincing fashion.

Lomax remained firmly on the back foot during the second as the Birmingham fighter started to build a commanding lead on the scorecards.

The bout continued in much the same vein throughout the early rounds, with Gavin showcasing a sound defence as well as stinging Lomax with sharp combinations.

There was no let up for Lomax in the middle rounds as 'Funtime' began to work the body to good effect, although the 25-year-old was forced to deal with a bloodied nose.

In the seventh, Lomax did well to stay upright as he was hurt with a flush left hook, and after dishing out some more punishment, Gavin was handed victory when the Londoner's corner threw in the towel.

"I knew I was stronger than him, without a doubt," Gavin told Sky Sports after taking his record to 9-0.

"A title is all I'm missing now. I know I've got the Irish title but now I want another title. At light-welterweight - (Amir) Khan's world class, (Paul) McCloskey's gone on to world class. Any other light-welterweight in Europe I'll fight."

Earlier in the evening, John McDermott ended his losing run in spectacular fashion as he stopped Larry Olubamiwo in the first round the claim the Southern Area heavyweight title.

McDermott, who lost twice each to Danny Williams and Tyson Fury, rocked his opponent with a left hook 30 seconds in before sending him to the canvas with a straight right.

A second barrage of punches put Olubamiwo down for a second time, with referee Jeff Hinds waving the contest off with the 32-year-old unsteady on his feet after getting up.

"I think I deserve to be British champion. I think I've won it so many times, I really deserve it this time. If any fight comes up, I'll take it," McDermott said after the fight.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin  Empty Re: Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin

Post by Midnight Sting Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:17 am

That was a good display by Gavin. I watched his first couple of fights, but not seen much since then. Last night showed me what I'd been missing. A very exciting prospect, who I'd definitely back to be a world champion one day.

With Gavin having a half decent opponent and Groves and Degale both having difficult match ups last time out it finally seems like the promoters are doing it right this time. No more spoon fed opponents who just fall over for you like Khan had.

Midnight Sting

Back to top Go down

Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin  Empty Re: Saturday Fight Night - Frankie Gavin

Post by azania Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:50 pm

I've always rated Gavin since his first pro fight. I thing his style has longevity and will be one of the greatest fighters out of UK. The best prospect imo and better than de Gale. He would also give Khan fits and reckon he will take Khan out also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Mon May 30, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:06 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Great display and result for Gavin at this stage in his career, should look to get a title this year British or European.

Welterweight division seems to be full of good young prospects.

Gavin is extremely accurate with the punches he throws. Maybe that will change when the opposition gets better. But now I reckon he'ss take that young Mexican red haired chap (forget his name - the guy who soon will KO Matt hatton.)

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Good result from Gavin.

Guess that'll be the end for Olubamiwo (unless there's another prizefighter anytime soon). He'd had a good 2010 - but if Big John is blowing you away in 1 - you know something's wrong and maybe you should try another sport.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:01 pm

oxring wrote:Good result from Gavin.

Guess that'll be the end for Olubamiwo (unless there's another prizefighter anytime soon). He'd had a good 2010 - but if Big John is blowing you away in 1 - you know something's wrong and maybe you should try another sport.

Good example of "you cant put muscles on your chin". Perhaps he should try bodybuilding.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:15 pm

NEVER been a big fan of the lad but he looked prettty good. However they picked a guy who couldn't hurt him and I think gavin knew he could take liberties. why is he being moved so slow????

Time to get moving at a higher level.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:NEVER been a big fan of the lad but he looked prettty good. However they picked a guy who couldn't hurt him and I think gavin knew he could take liberties. why is he being moved so slow????

Time to get moving at a higher level.......

I see your point, but his accuracy is exceptional. Agreed that he should step up now. In 18 months he should be aiming for a world title belt against one of the better champions. He'd take Alvarez now (who I dont rate at all).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Mon May 30, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Deleted

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:27 pm

They could fight at catchweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Mon May 30, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:43 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:They could fight at catchweight.

I doubt it, it not like there are no challenge at their respective weights.

Maybe down the line. Saul boils down to 150 and fights Gavin for the vacant Super welterweight title together with the vacant middleweight title also. Arum to promote it with Warren.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down