The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your greatest RWC concerns???

+27
aucklandlaurie
emack2
flankertye
formerly known as Sam
MBTGOG
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Great White
red_stag
Biltong
rodders
bedfordwelsh
Jenifer McLadyboy
Gunner
nganboy
dummy_half
welshy824
Rockola
Shifty
mckay1402
OzT
disneychilly
BATH_BTGOG
21st Century Schizoid Man
FullBack
screamingaddabs
caoimhincentre
HURLEY_BURLEY
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What are your greatest RWC concerns??? Empty What are your greatest RWC concerns???

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:23 pm

My main concerns in advance of the RWC kick-off are;
1) What beer goes best with a full Irish breakfast?
2) How to keep a 15 month old son out of the TV room every Saturday morning for (hopefully!!) 7 weeks, and not get divorced?

Please advise!

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

What are your greatest RWC concerns??? Empty Re: What are your greatest RWC concerns???

Post by caoimhincentre Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 pm

(1) possible bulmers. its like apple juice.

(2) just get the divorce before the world cup. gets it out of the way and mornings to yourself

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

What are your greatest RWC concerns??? Empty Re: What are your greatest RWC concerns???

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:25 pm

What's a "full Irish breakfast"? Sounds like the start of a joke!

Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:26 pm

1. Stout, naturally
2. 2nd telly with kids DVDs set up on it

Jobs a good un
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:31 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:What's a "full Irish breakfast"? Sounds like the start of a joke!

That could be a thread all in itself. Sausages, rashers, black & white pudding, eggs, tomato, mushrooms, fried potatoes, brown bread etc. Or whatever you like yourself.
To soak up all the stout apparently - if the stereotypes are true...

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 pm

HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:What's a "full Irish breakfast"? Sounds like the start of a joke!

That could be a thread all in itself. Sausages, rashers, black & white pudding, eggs, tomato, mushrooms, fried potatoes, brown bread etc. Or whatever you like yourself.

Ah, I see. So it's an English breakfast with added potatoes? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:(1) possible bulmers. its like apple juice.

(2) just get the divorce before the world cup. gets it out of the way and mornings to yourself

Bulmers - yuk. I went to to a private school. Whistle

And I still quite like my wife as we are not married very long so divorce not very attractive option. Hug

Am just glad I don't work saturdays !

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:

Well its like an english breakfast - just with decent sausages, bacon pudding etc. Very Happy

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by FullBack Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 pm

my main concern is whether my body will allow me to stay consistently drunk throughout joy/heartache

FullBack

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Mr Hurley,

you could try a wee dram from our range of breakfast whiskies. Be warned they are only 38% alcohol so may taste rather weak but that means you can pour yourself a large one ! Enjoy my friend. appletini

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:55 pm

I guess a Welsh breakfast is just the same but with Laverbread?

I'm bloody hungry now!
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm concerned that work won't let me watch the games on Friday morning.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank god for Flexi time!

I don't have to get to work before 10am
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Work had put telly up at eating area where we can watch, but not allowed to watch at our desk on the internet, so good for them!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm concerned that the games will be on at stupid oclock in the morning
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:20 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I'm concerned that the games will be on at stupid oclock in the morning

Welcome to life Down Under. All the European games are at stupid o'clock NZ and Aussie time, and the All Blacks never play day games at home any more to satisfy the European TV market.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Oooh such a general moaning thread.
Victor Meldrew mode!

1) Stupid kick off times, are my biggest worry.
South Africa is at 9:15 on a Sunday morning, ok that's not to bad.

Samoa is also on a Sunday but at 4:15am! I might skip this one to be honest.
If we win I will try and download it somewhere, but to be honest I can see me missing most of these cup games.

If there was one day you'd want a early start it's on a Monday before we go to work, but no they put it at 7am so most people will miss the Wales /Namibia game. Píss poor planning again.

5:30am for the Fiji game on a Sunday isnt too bad. but Samoa and Namibia are set up terribly for us. Really, really poor planning from the World Cup organisers for the European teams. you can see why the IRB screwed Nz for them to get the World Cup, their location and time zone is terrible for Europe.

Whilst I appreciate New Zealand is the other side of the World, the RWC is about promoting the sport and generating interest, who the hell in Europe is going to get up at those times to watch a sport they barely know about?
Most of the money in the rugby world is generated from Europe, and I wonder how much the Europe tv stations will be prepared to pay for games kicking off at these times.

2) I was really worried if we lost Matthew Rees at some point, well we lost him before the tournament! What does concern me is if they knew about the problem why wait until the last possible moment before deciding if he needed an op? When did the injury occur and could they of had an explorotary op immediatly to correct it and get him fit for the World Cup?
People seem happy Huw Bennett has shown some form, but all his worst games for ales have come against Island teams, which is very worrying.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:32 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Mr Hurley,

you could try a wee dram from our range of breakfast whiskies. Be warned they are only 38% alcohol so may taste rather weak but that means you can pour yourself a large one ! Enjoy my friend. appletini

Breakfast whiskies eh? Sounds excellent ! Only the Scots!
If any of us actually made the final, think how hot you would feel by tea time! RedWine guinness cider vomit

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockola Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Full English and Bulmers will go down a treat......may give the new Bulmers a go.
My only concern is being able to afford it for the whole WC..........well especially for the England games.

Rockola

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:36 pm

the fact that i am a teenager and there is only 1 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 o clocks in a day meaning i will miss most of the matches =(

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Jeez AlynDavies - didn't realise Wales fixture times sucked so badly. Thats rubbish - partic Samoa.
Irl group games are;
V USA, Sunday at 7am
V OZ, Sat at 9.30am
V Russia, Sun 6am (boo)
V Italy, Sun 8.30am

QF (win or runner up) Pool C, Sat/Sun 6am (BOOO!) What QFs at 6am?

SF, Sat/Sun 9am

Final, Sat 9am

At least all our 7 matches are on Sat or Sun...... Cool

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:55 pm

My biggest worry

That England will be as ineffective with the ball in hand as they were on Saturday. Several matches of that nonsense and the new TV might find itself in need of replacement, and I didn't consider that during my recent looting spree Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:01 am

That we don't win it Sad
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:57 am

That a South American volcanic ash cloud prevents my flight
landing in NZ!!!!!
3 weeks and counting!
Bring it on!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 am

Does nobody have sky plus or one of the many alternatives?

Here is how you do it.

Step 1 Switch off your mobile phone.

Step 2 Go to bed.

Step 3 Wake up at whatever time you like.

Step 4 Watch the game.

Step 5 Switch your phone back on and read the texts from your mates giving away the score

Simples.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:06 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Does nobody have sky plus or one of the many alternatives?

Here is how you do it.

Step 1 Switch off your mobile phone.

Step 2 Go to bed.

Step 3 Wake up at whatever time you like.

Step 4 Watch the game.

Step 5 Switch your phone back on and read the texts from your mates giving away the score

All very good McLadyboy, but the aforementioned 15 month old son prevents me from 'waking up whatever time I like!'
I couldn't lie in bed knowing Ireland were playing anyway. Will be using Sky plus like mad for all the other games.
I am already sneakily deleting my wife's rubbish off the planner to make space! censored

Simples.

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:07 am

That after two decent ish performances Gatland will now feel justified for sticking with Huw Bennett through all is other god awful performances and have him as his No1 choice for the WC.

Then when we get there Bennett will no doubt go back to his awful self and we right up the proverbial without a paddle.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:08 am

Aw feck I just realised my freeview+ box isn't working at the minute so I can't record the games Doh ......

Jeebus better get that sorted asap!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 am

Rodders - thats a slap on the wrist for you! Get that sorted mate.
My wife still has this notion that Come Dine with Me or some such nonsense has just as much right to space on the sky box as does Georgia V Romania. Hilarious.
laughing

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 am

When will they learn eh Hurley lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:45 pm

HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:

All very good McLadyboy, but the aforementioned 15 month old son prevents me from 'waking up whatever time I like!'
I couldn't lie in bed knowing Ireland were playing anyway. Will be using Sky plus like mad for all the other games.
I am already sneakily deleting my wife's rubbish off the planner to make space! censored

Simples.
I could lie in bed knowing Ireland were playing...IF I WAS ASLEEP. Which I plan to be for at least one of the games or maybe more. Thankfully my kids are at the age where I need to beat their sorry asses out of bed at midday, so sleeping won't be a problem.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:45 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:

Simples.
I could lie in bed knowing Ireland were playing...IF I WAS ASLEEP. Which I plan to be for at least one of the games or maybe more. Thankfully my kids are at the age where I need to beat their sorry asses out of bed at midday, so sleeping won't be a problem.

Actually, looking at the schedule, I won't be getting up for USA OR Russia.

Don't forget. You can start watching as soon as you wake up, even if that is half an hour after kick off. Also allows you to forward through the adds, and George f&cken Hook at half time.

Perfect Very Happy

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm

My concern for the RWC.

We have to go there, bring the cup.

Then play vs Wales with a rusty team, then fiji and Samoa, who most likely will bring the heavy artillery, a few coathangers and the odd landmine. Then take it easy against Namibia with our second stringers (on second thoughts maybe not)

Then fight the good fight against an Irish team who believes they can win, after having done all that, take out the NewZealanders, causing a countrywide depression, risk economic downfall to NZ, then beat who ever is left standing from the other half of the draw.

All this only to take the cup back home. Why can't we just cancel the RWc and leave the cup in it's rightful place.

On top of all that, I have to wake up early, go through nervous hours on an empty stomach.

Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:13 pm

My concerns for the RWC:

- That Ireland will not have got a definite style of rugby in place until it is over

- That South Africa will retain the cup (PDV and boring rugby)

- That there will be few if any upsets

- That there will be more talk about the referees than the players

- That the weather has an adverse effect on the tournament

- That it will lead to a lot of name calling and wumming on these forums
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:16 pm

HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:

Well its like an english breakfast - just with decent sausages, bacon pudding etc. Very Happy

I know what an Irish seven course meal is - a six pack and a baked potato.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Great White wrote:
HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:

That sounds more like starters to me ! Wink

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:20 pm

HURLEY_BURLEY wrote:
Great White wrote:

That sounds more like starters to me ! Wink

Jasus! That wouldn't fill a 3 year old. 9 pints of Guinness that you could walk a Donkey across, and a fry that a man would be fit to bull cows after.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 pm

red_stag wrote:My concerns for the RWC:

- That South Africa will retain the cup (PDV and boring rugby)

Stag my dear friend. Heven't seen you around for a while. Have you been avoiding me. Wink

Just to clear a myth for you about boring rugby.

In quarter finals.

NZ scores 3.7 tries per match.
SA scores 3.25 tries per match.
France scores 3 tries per match
Australia scores 2.5 tries per match
Wales scores 2 tries per match.
Scotland scores 1.7 tries per match
Ireland scores 1.5 tries per match
England scores 0.7 tries per match.

In Semi finals
NZ scores 3.6 tries per match
France scores 1.8 tries per match
SA scores 1.7 tries per match
OZ scores 1.25 tries per match
England scores 1.25 tries per match
Wales scores 1 try per match.

In finals
Oz scores 1.67 tries per match
NZ scores 1.5 tries per match
France scores 1 try per match
England scores 0.33 tries per match
SA scores 0 tries per match.

Looking at this, we are more boring than NZ in finals rugby, in finals we don't score tries, but we also have no tries scored against us.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Stag my dear friend. Heven't seen you around for a while. Have you been avoiding me. Wink

I was on holiday up until Monday and started a new job then. So have been quiet.

Tries don't mean exciting rugby. As a Munster fan I can say better than most that boring rugby can yield tries. Play Lambie at 10 and I will be happy for SA to win the cup.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 pm

I appreciate that, will you let PDV know?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Hey, there's no mention of Ireland after the Quarterf inals there. I wonder why that is ... Whistle

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:41 pm

In fairness, Great White, there's no mention of Scotland either, even tho we'd be entitled to one!! However, I guess the stat was a little worthless:

In Semi finals
Scotland scores 0.0 tries per match!!

Laugh

I love the precision of the decimal point!

Braveheart

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Ah, but to be fair, you weren't the one suggesting that SA played boring rugby....

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:23 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:In fairness, Great White, there's no mention of Scotland either, even tho we'd be entitled to one!! However, I guess the stat was a little worthless:

In Semi finals
Scotland scores 0.0 tries per match!!

Laugh

I love the precision of the decimal point!

Braveheart

LOL, the decimal point. The 0 looked so lonely without a companion
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Least they have a semi-final appearance to their name. Crying or Very sad

Another concern is if we are as bad as 2007 and don't get out of our group at all. Depression city !

Which of the traditional 'big' 8 do you think is most at risk of not getting out of their group?

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 pm

I would think Wales and Scotland will find it toughest in their respective pools
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:43 pm

HB, I'm hoping its Argentina or England (assuming we're measuring the Big 8 per current IRB rankings?). However, if I was Welsh, I would have some concerns at the rate at which their players are dropping and the lack of fitness of others - not great when you're in a group as tricky as theirs.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:46 pm

My main concerns are finding somewhere to watch the first few games in Turkey and having someone who has a competent knowledge of the game to watch it with.

Also that I don't get hangovers in the middle of the day after having a nap post rugby.

Last edited by MBTGOG on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:48 pm

My main concerns in advance of the RWC kick-off are;
1) What beer goes best with a full Irish breakfast?
2) How to keep a 15 month old son out of the TV room every Saturday morning for (hopefully!!) 7 weeks, and not get divorced?

1) Guinness to start. Flat and easy to drink so shouldn't bounce off of your empty stomoach. Fizzy drinks go after food not with them.

2) Sleeping tablets ground up into his breakfast.

I am already sneakily deleting my wife's rubbish off the planner to make space

Don't need to, the girlfiend likes rugby as much as I do and is just as guilty for shouting at the tv when the ref/team is proving to be incompetent. A mixture of sky plus and a secondary 32 inch tv going in the bedroom at the new house should make sure that viewing in the early mornings isn't an issue.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Think I'll be drinking Peroni/cheap waitrose cerveza in the mornings..

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next