The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The US Open Draw

+14
time please
socal1976
sportslover
noleisthebest
bogbrush
Positively 4th Street
HM Murdock
Dave.
TorturedGenius
legendkillar
laverfan
Danny_1982
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The US Open Draw - Page 2 Empty The US Open Draw

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

29th August is just around the corner and another slam will soon be upon us.
The draw is done later today. How do you see it going?

Back to top Go down

The US Open Draw - Page 2 Empty Re: The US Open Draw

Post by noleisthebest Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Y I Man wrote:NITB,

Going to merge this with this thread in a couple of minutes.
https://www.606v2.com/t12438-the-us-open-draw
Just so you know where it's gone.

no probs.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 pm

emancipator wrote:Socal does it really make that much of a difference?

Fed probably wont even make it to the semi.

In any case, I'm pretty sure Novak fancies his chances against both Fed and Nadal.

Yes it probably cost him at least one grandslam title at RG this year, Fed playing the way he played was the only guy in that tourney that I worried about putting Novak out. Did you see the cakewalk Nadal had in the semi with Murray. Also since this is the USO and they have stupid saturday it means that Novak and Roger if they make the semi will have the massive disadvantage of finishing a 5 set match in the middle of the night and then having to play another 5 set match the very next day like 12-15 hours later. IN short, this makes it about 2 as hard for Novak to win this title as it otherwise would have been if he got murray. At least he would have a chance of getting the earlier semi if Rafa and Roger both got to the semis. I am just going to start multiplying all of Novak's grandslams times two because he not only had to beat the other players but the draw rigging committees as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 pm

laverfan wrote:Just the luck of the draw, NitB. Hug

And my birthday being on Sunday.....this is the 3rd consecutive year I wished a different draw for my birthday prezzie... ah well.....let the games commence Yahoo I must say Wimbledon produces the best stage for tennis, but USO definitely the best tennis....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:08 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yeah JM, it looks like they are using a double headed coin for this draw.

The drawing committee uses the US Open trophy as the drawing 'urn'. laughing

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:09 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
laverfan wrote:Just the luck of the draw, NitB. Hug

And my birthday being on Sunday.....this is the 3rd consecutive year I wished a different draw for my birthday prezzie... ah well.....let the games commence Yahoo I must say Wimbledon produces the best stage for tennis, but USO definitely the best tennis....
Happy B'day, NitB. kiss

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Unbelievable - may have to start buying into socal's conspiracy theories Very Happy Wink

Murray has a tricky draw!!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm

I am I the only one thats happy?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:I am I the only one thats happy?

You're a Rafa fan I take it , hawkeye? Very Happy Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm

time please wrote:Unbelievable - may have to start buying into socal's conspiracy theories Very Happy Wink

Murray has a tricky draw!!

Looks like you are asking for a socal's conspiracy corner! But I don't know I have said just about everything there is to say on the bogus draw rigging of the grandslam comittees and their desperate and infantile desire to arrange another Fedal final for the sake of tv ratings. Eventhough I doubt that particular match would be all that watchable in comparison to what we were used to in the Fedal heyday. All of my socalled conspiracy theories are being proven true by the rapacity of these tournament committees, Federer and Nadal not in the same side of the bracket since FO 2005!, even when not rated #1 and #2. Like I said Novak's 3 grandslams won in the Fedal era and post Fedal era, in light of the difficult competition and the nefarious draw rigging of the grandslam committees is really the equivalent of 6 or 7 slams at this point. Novak not only has to beat the two goats in every slam regardless of his ranking but has to defeat the rest of the draw and the tournament organizers. Novak's accomplishments are now officially superior to anyone with less than 6 slams. Toughest era plus defeating draw riggers to win grandslams!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

No conspiracy corner!!!

furious

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm

legendkillar wrote:No conspiracy corner!!!

furious

I am hurt LK, I felt like I did some of my best work in Socal's conspiracy corners, I guess it is the destiny of great artists to be underrated and misunderstood in their time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Granted it did take you a long time to compile the evidence. I see it that if Novak wants to cement a claim to 'greatness' beating the Federers and Nadals is the way to do it. Smile

Given his form this year, why would you be concerned? If I was a hardcore Novak fan I would be thinking that my guy is the man to beat to be US Open Champion.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

It's probably fanciful thinking (but I am a Fed fan) but if Fed won the whole thing, I think everyone would consider him back big time! However, looking @ this draw, Tsonga, then Djokovic and Murray or Nadal in the final? The potential line up is among the hardest. Furthermore, if it wasn't for Tsonga there, I'd feel more confident but I don't particularly feel Fed will play as he did in Cinni where he got beaten in a very close first set when he could have won it. His performance was awful and I don't expect to see him play like that @ the USO, I mean if you watched the Blake match before you knew that if Fed didn't raise his level he was out and he was. Despite the fact he didn't raise his level, he still went the distance with Tsonga @ Cinni.

That's the difference, Tsonga must play his best game to beat Fed, Fed doesn't but he does need to be consistent and that's where the problem is. I can see Fed beating Tsonga and I don't think being beaten twice by Tsonga will affect him that much as say being beaten by Nadal has. Nadal has won slams, Tsonga has won zero slams. We'll see with Fed's first match if he's raised the level to a sufficient level but by the 4th round we'll see his scoreline too. Over the years, Fed has dropped very few sets en route to the final, usually about 2/3, if he's losing that number before the quarters I expect he will fail to reach the final.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 pm

legendkillar wrote:Granted it did take you a long time to compile the evidence. I see it that if Novak wants to cement a claim to 'greatness' beating the Federers and Nadals is the way to do it. Smile

Given his form this year, why would you be concerned? If I was a hardcore Novak fan I would be thinking that my guy is the man to beat to be US Open Champion.

In another slam it isn't as big a deal, at the USO it is a huge deal because if both Fed and Djoko win out they will get the deathmatch going second on stupid saturday and then having to play another 5 setter in like 12 hours. Judging by the condition of Djokovic physically and his shoulder this could be a very nasty draw at the end of the tournament. If his shoulder starts to break down and he has to come back and play Nadal after a brutal 5 setter the night before, I would say that the tournament scheduling and draw really didn't give him a fair shake, as usual now. Nadal is really being given every opportunity and then some by the US open committee of ending his losing streak and defending his title, it is a virtual fix frankly.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Tsonga won't beat Federer 3 times in a row!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:30 pm

I love Tsonga as well as Fed, but would like him not to beat TMF this time! Actually I agree with you luciusmann, despite the two recent losses to Tsonga, I am actually reasonably confident about them meeting again. Tsonga is a wonderful player but consistency has not been his strong point, and actually feel the pressure will be on him rather than Fed. If Fed can start firing on all cylinders, then I think we have seen the effect of him playing like that on Jo-Wilfrid's game before.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Granted it did take you a long time to compile the evidence. I see it that if Novak wants to cement a claim to 'greatness' beating the Federers and Nadals is the way to do it. Smile

In another slam it isn't as big a deal, at the USO it is a huge deal because if both Fed and Djoko win out they will get the deathmatch going second on stupid saturday and then having to play another 5 setter in like 12 hours. Judging by the condition of Djokovic physically and his shoulder this could be a very nasty draw at the end of the tournament. If his shoulder starts to break down and he has to come back and play Nadal after a brutal 5 setter the night before, I would say that the tournament scheduling and draw really didn't give him a fair shake, as usual now. Nadal is really being given every opportunity and then some by the US open committee of ending his losing streak and defending his title, it is a virtual fix frankly.

Surely Nadal cannot be given the first semi three years in a row?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Surely Nadal cannot be given the first semi three years in a row?.
time please

Surely, Djokovic shouldn't get Federer in six straight slams in a row, but he just did. The draw of stupid saturday is based on sheer ratings, the feature match is decided on who is the best drawing semi. Obviously, a Fed/Nole semi is going to be the deathmatch at the end of the day over even a Nadal/Murray semi.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 pm

I really hope for entertainment's sake we don't have Fed go out before the quarters, how delicious would a Djokovic-Fed semi final be? It's certainly more delicious than a Tsonga-Djokovic semi where to be honest, we know who's going to win. That's the great thing with Djokovic vs Federer, Djokovic has the edge but we know if Fed is on top form and for the USO he often is, he can really give us a thrilling match. No chance of that with Djokovic-Tsonga, I watched their match @ Wimbledon and the first set was tight but after Djokovic took it, it was too obvious who was going to win and it wasn't Tsonga, even with Djokovic's wobble he had enough of a comfort zone to gather his composure and see him off.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 pm

luciusmann wrote:I really hope for entertainment's sake we don't have Fed go out before the quarters, how delicious would a Djokovic-Fed semi final be? It's certainly more delicious than a Tsonga-Djokovic semi where to be honest, we know who's going to win. That's the great thing with Djokovic vs Federer, Djokovic has the edge but we know if Fed is on top form and for the USO he often is, he can really give us a thrilling match. No chance of that with Djokovic-Tsonga, I watched their match @ Wimbledon and the first set was tight but after Djokovic took it, it was too obvious who was going to win and it wasn't Tsonga, even with Djokovic's wobble he had enough of a comfort zone to gather his composure and see him off.

And this is why the grandslam committees keep rigging the draws so that fans get what they want. A djoko fed semi and the chance of a fedal final. No doubt it will be a great semi, but whoever gets out of that semi will be most likely damaged goods for the final the next day and have little to no chance to win if facing Nadal or murray.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Well I'd have preferred Fed being on Nadal's side of the draw but to be honest, like you, I didn't expect it at all. But we got what we are given so if we have a choice, I'd like the juicy matches rather than the forgone conclusion which a Djokovic-Tsonga match is. I actually think the chances of Nadal reaching even the semi is quite low so even if they had put Fed on that side, I doubt it would have happened.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:51 pm

luciusmann wrote:Well I'd have preferred Fed being on Nadal's side of the draw but to be honest, like you, I didn't expect it at all. But we got what we are given so if we have a choice, I'd like the juicy matches rather than the forgone conclusion which a Djokovic-Tsonga match is. I actually think the chances of Nadal reaching even the semi is quite low so even if they had put Fed on that side, I doubt it would have happened.

Can you say golden opportunity again for murray. If Fed and Djoko play a deathmatch in the semi and Murray doesn't even have to play Nadal and gets the first match on stupid saturday well then it is practically like the USO committee is gifting this one to Murray and the british people, didn't we do enough during world war 2 for you guys now we have to gift you your first grandslam winner in 70 odd years. We americans are so generous, special relationship indeed.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 pm

socal1976 wrote:
luciusmann wrote:Well I'd have preferred Fed being on Nadal's side of the draw but to be honest, like you, I didn't expect it at all. But we got what we are given so if we have a choice, I'd like the juicy matches rather than the forgone conclusion which a Djokovic-Tsonga match is. I actually think the chances of Nadal reaching even the semi is quite low so even if they had put Fed on that side, I doubt it would have happened.

Can you say golden opportunity again for murray. If Fed and Djoko play a deathmatch in the semi and Murray doesn't even have to play Nadal and gets the first match on stupid saturday well then it is practically like the USO committee is gifting this one to Murray and the british people, didn't we do enough during world war 2 for you guys now we have to gift you your first grandslam winner in 70 odd years. We americans are so generous, special relationship indeed.

Easy there socal - with regards to WW2 we blew the bugle in 1939 and it took you guys until 1941 to hear it Whistle

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Odd comment socal as I seem to remember in 2008 Andy suffered that fate with a late and delayed semi against Nadal and played Federer in the final who had had a good deal more rest (I stand corrected if I am wrong here).
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Lend Lease my friend, FDR was backing you guys since 1939 he was just waiting for his bloody shirt and the Japanese gave it to him at the end of 1941. Either way, I don't expect any gratitude, just saying Murray couldn't get a better set up for his first slam. Nadal and Fed off form and Djoko with a sore shoulder looking at the late night match on stupid saturday with Roger and then the final. Shame on Andy if he blows it. Both he and Nadal have been given a real opportunity here.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I generally agree with everything you say Socal but here I disagree. I mean you are vociferous in how Novak is destined for great things and lets face it he is the form man of the year so you should fear no one that he plays. If we were talking a year or two ago I'd agree with you but Federer is not the unbeatable force he once was and so if Novak wants to be regarded as a legend he has to beat the legends.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I generally agree with everything you say Socal but here I disagree. I mean you are vociferous in how Novak is destined for great things and lets face it he is the form man of the year so you should fear no one that he plays. If we were talking a year or two ago I'd agree with you but Federer is not the unbeatable force he once was and so if Novak wants to be regarded as a legend he has to beat the legends.

Why isn't Nadal required to play Federer in every single semi at a grandslam to be a legend? Federer is slumping now but this is 6th straight grandslam that Novak has gotten put into Roger's half. 3rd straight since he has stopped being the #3 player and become the number #2 or #1 player. Like I said Djokovic's accomplishments are multiplied due to the tough competition he has had from FEdal and the draw rigging that he has had to fight with the grandslam committee. Don't worry I am sure if Roger fades even more and Murray gets stronger than the tournament committee will start giving Novak Andy in his half pretending that now well it all evens out. Wrong it doesn't, it doesn't make up for 6 straight grandslams getting the short straw while Roger and Rafa are both still viable. At this point, Novak has already played Roger and Rafa 2 and half times as much as Andy has had to play them. 51 matches against Fedal and draw rigging on top of that to accomplish what he has, in short Djoko's 3 slams are really like 6 or 7. The draw rigging probably already has cost him the french open this year. That and the ridiculous scheduling and the unfortunate Fogi incident. Really, with a sore shoulder and staring down the barrel of the late match on stupid saturday this grandslam has practically been fixed from the outset and all the breaks given to Nadal and Murray, I can't really value their accomplishments as much if they do win it at this point. If anything the committee is gifting murray his first slam or in the alternate gifting Nadal his 11th slam.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:16 pm

luciusmann wrote:Furthermore, if it wasn't for Tsonga there, I'd feel more confident but I don't particularly feel Fed will play as he did in Cinni where he got beaten in a very close first set when he could have won it. His performance was awful and I don't expect to see him play like that @ the USO, I mean if you watched the Blake match before you knew that if Fed didn't raise his level he was out and he was. Despite the fact he didn't raise his level, he still went the distance with Tsonga @ Cinni.

You have me completely confused (I know I am getting old and am old). Are you referring to Tsonga-Federer @Montreal 2011 or Federer-Berdych @Cincinnati 2011 or something earlier. Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Socal... your response to Craig belongs in your Conspiracy corner. laughing

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm

laverfan wrote:Socal... your response to Craig belongs in your Conspiracy corner. laughing

Laverfan, it seems that you are another fan of socal's conspiracy corner. The problem with conspiracy theories are that sometimes they are right, see the iraq war. Obviously, this isn't life or death and its just tennis. Frankly, it is a shame that grandslam committees play so fast and loose with the integrity of the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Hmmm let's see who did Rafael Nadal beat in the US Open Final last year? Remember Rafa is the defending champion that Novak has avoided so I'd hardly call that an evil draw. The true fact is that, in this day and age, there are no easy semis out there however hard you try to look for it. If Novak wants to evolve into a legend then he'll overcome these obstacles as Federer and Nadal have done in the past. As for Andy's draw I'd call it so so. Some tricky opponents on the horizon in Wawrinka and Soderling and will need to beat defending champion Rafael Nadal and either record slam holder Federer or world No.1 Djokovic in the final - hardly a cakewalk and where you can justify saying it would devalue his accomplishment.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:27 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmmm let's see who did Rafael Nadal beat in the US Open Final last year? Remember Rafa is the defending champion that Novak has avoided so I'd hardly call that an evil draw. The true fact is that, in this day and age, there are no easy semis out there however hard you try to look for it. If Novak wants to evolve into a legend then he'll overcome these obstacles as Federer and Nadal have done in the past. As for Andy's draw I'd call it so so. Some tricky opponents on the horizon in Wawrinka and Soderling and will need to beat defending champion Rafael Nadal and either record slam holder Federer or world No.1 Djokovic in the final - hardly a cakewalk and where you can justify saying it would devalue his accomplishment.

Yes he beat Novak, who frankly would have been wiped out badly if not for the rain delay. Remeber that Novak just lost in cincy with an obviously bum shoulder. And remeber that stupid saturday and who gets the night match magnify the effects of this bad semi draw. Because if Novak and Roger both win out they probably finish up late and night and have to again play Rafa or Andy in 5 setter. In light of novak's injury and exhaustion a night match 5 setter and the final 12 hours later would be virtually insurmountable. The draw is supposed to be fair, and the scheduling is supposed to be fair, Novak has no chance now of either the draw or the schedule of getting a fair shake. Looks like this will be the second tainted grandslam of the season. By the way when did Roger Federer get repeatedly put into the semi half of a goat candidate? Try like never since neither Nadal or himself have had to face this kind of discrimination, hence why he hasn't seen Nadal in his semi half since RG 2005 and when he did see Nadal in his half Nadal beat him.

Last edited by socal1976 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 pm

"I can't really value their accomplishments as much if they do win it at this point. If anything the committee is gifting murray his first slam or in the alternate gifting Nadal his 11th slam"

lol - There are no gifts as you well know, unless you count Federers one in the 2009 final.

Everybody is in it to win it - seven rounds all with " banana skins awaiting"!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 pm

sportslover wrote:"I can't really value their accomplishments as much if they do win it at this point. If anything the committee is gifting murray his first slam or in the alternate gifting Nadal his 11th slam"

lol - There are no gifts as you well know, unless you count Federers one in the 2009 final.

Everybody is in it to win it - seven rounds all with " banana skins awaiting"!

Everyone's in it to win it and Novak just got Roger FOR THE SIXTH STRAIGHT TIME! 1/64 odds longshot coming in to damage his grandslam chances again. With a bum shoulder he really has little chance of playing the late match on stupid saturday and coming on the very next day to win the final like 12 hours later. The fix is in everyone put their money on Nadal and Murray they have been gifted golden opportunities at the expense of the #1 player who should have the easier draw, which he never gets and then people keep blindly stating that it is all fair. Yeah all fair for murray and Nadal and completely and totally unfair for Djokovic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 pm

socal1976 wrote:
laverfan wrote:Socal... your response to Craig belongs in your Conspiracy corner. laughing

Laverfan, it seems that you are another fan of socal's conspiracy corner.

The creativity is obvious, but I do not post on that thread to make it any worse for you. Wink

socal1976 wrote:The problem with conspiracy theories are that sometimes they are right, see the iraq war.

TBH, Dubya was trying to get revenge on Saddam because of his threats to the senior Bush, and the US Defence industry needed a technology refresh, and Haliburton (aka Cheney's retirement) needed some cash. Wink

socal1976 wrote:Obviously, this isn't life or death and its just tennis. Frankly, it is a shame that grandslam committees play so fast and loose with the integrity of the game.

Probability theory has something to do with it as well.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 pm

socal1976 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmmm let's see who did Rafael Nadal beat in the US Open Final last year? Remember Rafa is the defending champion that Novak has avoided so I'd hardly call that an evil draw. The true fact is that, in this day and age, there are no easy semis out there however hard you try to look for it. If Novak wants to evolve into a legend then he'll overcome these obstacles as Federer and Nadal have done in the past. As for Andy's draw I'd call it so so. Some tricky opponents on the horizon in Wawrinka and Soderling and will need to beat defending champion Rafael Nadal and either record slam holder Federer or world No.1 Djokovic in the final - hardly a cakewalk and where you can justify saying it would devalue his accomplishment.

Yes he beat Novak, who frankly would have been wiped out badly if not for the rain delay. Remeber that Novak just lost in cincy with an obviously bum shoulder. And remeber that stupid saturday and who gets the night match magnify the effects of this bad semi draw. Because if Novak and Roger both win out they probably finish up late and night and have to again play Rafa or Andy in 5 setter. In light of novak's injury and exhaustion a night match 5 setter and the final 12 hours later would be virtually insurmountable. The draw is supposed to be fair, and the scheduling is supposed to be fair, Novak has no chance now of either the draw or the schedule of getting a fair shake. Looks like this will be the second tainted grandslam of the season. By the way when did Roger Federer get repeatedly put into the semi half of a goat candidate? Try like never since neither Nadal or himself have had to face this kind of discrimination, hence why he hasn't seen Nadal in his semi half since RG 2005 and when he did see Nadal in his half Nadal beat him.

Yes socal but like I pointed out Andy suffered in 2008 US Open when he had a day's less rest than Federer before the final. It happens and you just have to get on with it and for what it is worth I certainly don't agree with Super Saturday either. If Murray even gets to the final (I hope he does) and benefits like you say he will then isn't that just pay back for 2008?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:39 pm

socal1976 wrote:With a bum shoulder he really has little chance of playing the late match on stupid saturday and coming on the very next day to win the final like 12 hours later.

So you are expecting an almost retired Federer to beat Djokovic in the second SF on Super Saturday and play a final in 12 hours and beat Murdal (that is pure murder, IMVHO). Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm

laverfan wrote:
socal1976 wrote:With a bum shoulder he really has little chance of playing the late match on stupid saturday and coming on the very next day to win the final like 12 hours later.

So you are expecting an almost retired Federer to beat Djokovic in the second SF on Super Saturday and play a final in 12 hours and beat Murdal (that is pure murder, IMVHO). Erm

Exactly laverfan. Whoever wins it is going to have had a terribly tough semi followed by a final a day later.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Yes socal but like I pointed out Andy suffered in 2008 US Open when he had a day's less rest than Federer before the final. It happens and you just have to get on with it and for what it is worth I certainly don't agree with Super Saturday either. If Murray even gets to the final (I hope he does) and benefits like you say he will then isn't that just pay back for 2008?.

No its not because Novak is the #1 seed, murray was not the #1 seed in 2008, he gets exactly the type of draw he deserves as the #4 or #3 seed. Djokovic on the other hand as the #1 seed doesn't get the benefit of his seeding at all. In fact, they go out of their way to make sure he gets the stupid saturday death match. Why should murray losing to Fed in 08 be paid back by the current #1 seed Novak Djokovic.

Djokovic is clearly being discriminated against by the tournament committees in favor of the more marketable fedal final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

socal - No excuses please, "Novaks Bum Shoulder" or possibly just "burn out" due to lifting all that Silverware!!!

Also Roger is supposedly on the way out, Tsonga has beaten him the last twice, so c'mon Novak shouldn't have a problem there!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

sportslover wrote:socal - No excuses please, "Novaks Bum Shoulder" or possibly just "burn out" due to lifting all that Silverware!!!

Also Roger is supposedly on the way out, Tsonga has beaten him the last twice, so c'mon Novak shouldn't have a problem there!

I hate to say but this tournament is tainted at the outset, only a Novak win can save it frankly. If murray or Nadal win with this cake draw and the discrimination that Djokovic has to face it will be an asterik's grandslam.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Sorry socal I don't agree and as laverfan says it will be tough for any of the top four seeds such is their standing in the game. I could conversely argue that Andy has it toughest as he has mental scars to carry with him and the defending champion in the semis to be followed by either Federer the record holder for slams won or Novak Djokovic as high as a kite after beating Federer and of course largely unbeatable this year. Sounds tougher to me than Novak playing a Federer he has the indian sign over of late and not at his peak followed by Nadal who he had the mental edge over in recent wins over him or Andy Murray with the mental scars.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 pm

But you seem to have written Novak off before its even started!

As for it being an asterik slam - that's the sort of thing a wum would say and surely you are way above that.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Sorry socal I don't agree and as laverfan says it will be tough for any of the top four seeds such is their standing in the game. I could conversely argue that Andy has it toughest as he has mental scars to carry with him and the defending champion in the semis to be followed by either Federer the record holder for slams won or Novak Djokovic as high as a kite after beating Federer and of course largely unbeatable this year. Sounds tougher to me than Novak playing a Federer he has the indian sign over of late and not at his peak followed by Nadal who he had the mental edge over in recent wins over him or Andy Murray with the mental scars.

As it should be since murray is the #4 seed he doesn't deserve a better draw, Novak as the #1 seed doesn't get the benefit of his seeding again. And frankly it isn't just as hard for murray because most likely he will be in the early semi that comes before even the women's final. He will have almost a half day more of rest and in one day turnaround there is no way his draw is as tough. The number #1 seed deserves the breaks but unfortunately again the #1 seed gets a tougher draw than the #4 seed Andy murray.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Pain in the shoulder, whatever kind it is will not go away in 8 days fully. However, symptoms can be alleviated greatly on day to day basis provided the condition does not worsen. I know it from personal experience. Mind you, with Novak's age, there is no reason to believe he's in trouble.
It will be easy to see immediately, anyway. Even if he makes it to the second week with second serve and the game minus the wide forehand, he'll have still done OK to end 2011 as number one.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 pm

And to add, if Nole is 100%, he is winning USO - NO PROBLEMO!!!! COME ON , NOLEEEEE!!!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:57 pm

sportslover wrote:But you seem to have written Novak off before its even started!

As for it being an asterik slam - that's the sort of thing a wum would say and surely you are way above that.

I don't like to make such comments but when you have no accountability and no transparency and these socalled odd statistical trends appear that favor the pocket books of the grandslams and disadvantage your favorite player over and over and over and over and over again then well it is a very simple and logical conclusion to draw. I mean tournament organizers trying to maximize potential tv ratings, who could think of such a travesty? The RG committee did its best to taint their tournament and the USO is taking their cue, he basically doesn't have much of a chance with this draw unless he gets the early match on stupid saturday, which would mean Fed losing before the semi and both Nadal and Murray winning out.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 pm

You keep saying Andy will be in the early semi but I beg to differ. In 2008 the semi-final line-up was eactly the same as was protracted to be this year and guess what? First match up was Federer V Djokovic followed by Nadal V Murray. Besides who knows who will make the semis which could alter the semi schedule again.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:06 pm

socal1976 wrote:
sportslover wrote:But you seem to have written Novak off before its even started!

I don't like to make such comments but when you have no accountability and no transparency and these socalled odd statistical trends appear that favor the pocket books of the grandslams and disadvantage your favorite player over and over and over and over and over again then well it is a very simple and logical conclusion to draw. I mean tournament organizers trying to maximize potential tv ratings, who could think of such a travesty? The RG committee did its best to taint their tournament and the USO is taking their cue, he basically doesn't have much of a chance with this draw unless he gets the early match on stupid saturday, which would mean Fed losing before the semi and both Nadal and Murray winning out.

The one thing before any of the aforementioned happens is - They have to get THAT FAR before any of it can, and there is no guarantee that will be the case.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Of course sportslover and Craig, there is no guarantee, I mean we could have an upset riddled draw like Canada. But again, Novak gets the worst of it from the outset. He isn't getting the benefit of his #1 seeding that is for sure. If he gets the second match on stupid saturday he is screwed with all the matches and the sore shoulder he is fighting. When are people going to recognize malfeasance. We are talking about 6 straight slams when his odds should be only 50 percent of getting Roger?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next