The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Australian Open Draw

+20
Haddie-nuff
sirfredperry
banbrotam
CaledonianCraig
ChequeredJersey
CAS
laverfan
Silver
DJB14
R!skysports
lydian
slashermcguirk
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
yloponom68
LuvSports!
Danny_1982
Born Slippy
hawkeye
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Australian Open Draw Empty The Australian Open Draw

Post by hawkeye Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:17 am

I believe will be out just after midnight tonight.

I'm hoping as usual for Nadal and Federer to be on opposite sides. Poor Federer has had more than his fair share of bad luck drawing Nadal in the quarters. First because Nadal'r ranking had dropped and now because his has slipped a little. I would also quite like to see a Djokovic/Federer semi. It's been a while...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

The Australian Open Draw Empty Re: The Australian Open Draw

Post by Born Slippy Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:50 am

A Federer v. Nadal match at any stage of the tournament would be dull, given how one-sided their matches are nowadays. I would like to see Federer v Novak in the quarters. The earlier Fed plays him the closer he may make it.

With Murray not up to speed it will be intriguing to see where the likes of DP and Berdych are placed. A SF place looks more accessible for the second tier than might have been the case in previous years.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 8:31 am

I want to see great matches, so hope that the big guys get players they traditionally have difficultly putting away. For example it'd be more interesting to see Berdy in Murray's quarter than Novak's, and I'd like to see Novak v Stan or Delpo.

A draw that gives a few box office matches before the semis is what I'm after.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:46 am

Evans wont be in it Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

Court speed at Australian Open tennis unchanged, says tournament director Craig Tiley

January 6, 2014....Linda Pearce...Sports writer for The Age

Anyone expecting lightning-fast Australian Open courts will be disappointed, according to tournament director Craig Tiley, who has denied that a quicker version of Plexicushion has been ordered - or delivered - for next week's grand slam.

Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt and Marin Cilic, as well as Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter, are among the players at this week's Brisbane International to testify that the speed of the Queensland Tennis Centre courts has risen significantly this year. Cilic, indeed, said they were the slickest he had experienced anywhere in more than 12 months.

"But, if so, that is Brisbane", said Tiley, who insisted nothing has altered at Melbourne Park. A modified Wilson ball was introduced last year with a tighter weave to improve longevity, but any major change in court speed is, apparently, unlikely.

''We've repeated what we did in 2013,'' said Tiley, pointing to the heatwave conditions and covered court in Brisbane, as well as the extended time given to the courts to ''plateau'' after their annual resurface, as contributing factors there. ''We didn't get that feedback at Hopman Cup, which is also the exact same surface.''

Defending champion Novak Djokovic on Saturday became the first player to hit this season on Rod Laver Arena.... Tiley said the world No. 2 had not commented on the speed of the court, pace has been a recurring discussion point elsewhere in the past week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/court-speed-at-australian-open-tennis-unchanged-says-tournament-director-craig-tiley-20140105-30c1e.html#ixzz2pYI6CQ1T

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:03 am

Guess I am most interested in positioning of Federer, Del Potro & Berdych in terms of 1/4's with which Top 4 seed.

Then whether Murray or Ferrer gets Nadal or Djokovic.

Agree that the earlier Federer would get Djokovic, the better, but 1/4's at earliest, so he'll have 4 rounds in by then - might be too big an ask?

Dimitrov, Tsonga, Raonic & Isner - also interesting to see where they "land;" that said if Isner gets taken to 4 sets a couple of times, his chances go down dramatically. If he gest through to a higher seed with 3 set victories, then it gets interesting with him.

Draw very soon - Rock on! Let's get this dancing started, Matilda!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

Seeing as it's very unlikely Murray will reach the later rounds, the 5-8 seeds will want to be in with him. If the Fed is in Murray's quarter and Djokovic's half then I imagine he'll fancy his chances at reaching the final, unless he draws Hewitt first round!!

That's a shame about Evans as he had a huge chance of reaching the main draw.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:34 am

I just hope Rafa gets some of the few players with the cojones to have a go at him: Isner, Ernie, JMDP, Andy.

It will probably be the usual procession of SHBHs and Spaniards though.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:40 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I'd like to see Novak v Stan or Delpo.
My nerves won't take another one!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:47 am

Can I just point out that the draw is always rigged in the favour of the player you don't like and against your favourite player - regardless of who those players are Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

I knew it was rigged!

I believe Nike is to blame.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

HM Murdoch
"I just hope Rafa gets some of the few players with the cojones to have a go at him: Isner, Ernie, JMDP, Andy."

I presume you dont mean Andy Murray, his record against Nadal is pretty abysmal across all surfaces. I dont think Gulbis has beaten him either but i get your point with him that he tends to make it competitive.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm

I think if the top 8 were to get to quarters, these would best match ups (Ferrer has a shocking record against Federer but even he might fancy his chances against the current Federer):

Nadal vs Del potro
Murray vs Berdych
Djokovic vs Wawrinka
Federer vs Ferrer

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:HM Murdoch
"I just hope Rafa gets some of the few players with the cojones to have a go at him: Isner, Ernie, JMDP, Andy."

I presume you dont mean Andy Murray, his record against Nadal is pretty abysmal across all surfaces. I dont think Gulbis has beaten him either but i get your point with him that he tends to make it competitive.

How is a 5-6 H2H on HC abysmal?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:23 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
slashermcguirk wrote:HM Murdoch

How is a 5-6 H2H on HC abysmal?

Murray's 5 wins don't count Julius. I thought you'd been here long enough to understand that. Rafa was injured/tired/tanking for every single one of them.

In matches where both were trying and fully fit, it's 6-0 to Rafa. Wink

I hope they meet in Mebourne, though it's been that long I'm wondering if they'll ever play again!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

I'd love to see a Rafa v Andy match but only if Andy is fit.

If he's fit, I think there could be fireworks. Ideally I'd like Andy to do a Lendl and whack the ball at Rafa but I'd settle for a great match!

If Andy's not up to speed though, it could be a bit rubbish.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

Yeah good point Murdoch. If he's wilting in the second set vs Mayer last week, he's unlikely to be in shape to face Rafa a couple of weeks later.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

LuvSports! wrote: Court speed at Australian Open tennis unchanged, says tournament director Craig Tiley

January 6, 2014....Linda Pearce...Sports writer for The Age

Anyone expecting lightning-fast Australian Open courts will be disappointed, according to tournament director Craig Tiley, who has denied that a quicker version of Plexicushion has been ordered - or delivered - for next week's grand slam.

Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt and Marin Cilic, as well as Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter, are among the players at this week's Brisbane International to testify that the speed of the Queensland Tennis Centre courts has risen significantly this year. Cilic, indeed, said they were the slickest he had experienced anywhere in more than 12 months.

"But, if so, that is Brisbane", said Tiley, who insisted nothing has altered at Melbourne Park. A modified Wilson ball was introduced last year with a tighter weave to improve longevity, but any major change in court speed is, apparently, unlikely.

''We've repeated what we did in 2013,'' said Tiley, pointing to the heatwave conditions and covered court in Brisbane, as well as the extended time given to the courts to ''plateau'' after their annual resurface, as contributing factors there. ''We didn't get that feedback at Hopman Cup, which is also the exact same surface.''

Defending champion Novak Djokovic on Saturday became the first player to hit this season on Rod Laver Arena.... Tiley said the world No. 2 had not commented on the speed of the court, pace has been a recurring discussion point elsewhere in the past week.
But the balls are reported to be livelier which may make as big a difference as speeding the court up. We'll just have to wait and see...either way its not going to turn AO into pre-2001 USO!

Yep I'd love to see Andy vs Rafa...and oddly Fed vs Djok which is always an interesting match too. But that's assuming they all get to the semis!

Monfils & Hewitt may be ones to watch this year...although slower courts than Qatar/Brisbane are not ideal for either.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:51 pm

Well it certainly helped Feds at the FO'11, nadal struggled, and djoko and murray complained about them. Not sure it will help feds much now though.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

Yep the issue is bigger than balls for Fed...he simply doesn't move as well as he used to, plus his BH is still a relative weakness vs the very best now...has been for a while. Plus he pulls the trigger too early in ralleys when out of position, its like he panics more than he used to do...always been an inherent issue for Fed. He could make the semis with a good draw tho' but I have a feeling he'll go early. Yes those FO11 balls were weird...a bad batch (overly hard) I suspect as they didnt go back to that type again. But to be fair, Isner played lights out that day and has beaten Fed in 5 sets on clay too (DC match). When a tall guy serves big on clay it doesn't matter about the balls as they just skid through on the top dressing rather than kick up...the same effect Goran used to get as well. Big servers can do well on clay...remember Verkerk getting to the final years ago?

The problem with balls at AO though is that AO is so sand-paint heavy now that less fluffy balls (livelier) will soon fluff up after 1-2 games with the surface being so rough. Unless they are switching to ITF type 1 ball...which we don't know. AO surface surface has always been slow, always will be. Hewitt asked for it to be speeded up throughout his career but they never did so don't see why they'll start speeding it up now.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

AO should be slow.

It's USO that needs to speed up!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:18 pm

Agree...infact I liked the old Rebound Ace surface, made it completely different to USO.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:27 pm

I am not suggesting Murray couldnt challenge Nadal but his record against him in slams is pretty shocking. He did beat a fully fit Nadal at the US open but his win in the Aussie open was definitley as much to do with injury, no denying that.

When was the last time Murray beat him in a slam, must have been at least 3- 4 years ago. could be wrong though

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

No it wasn't that is such a fallacy! Absolute nonsense, I hate it when fans do this. I am huge Federer fan but Murray deserved the win, no denying that...
Murray was clearly the better player that day and Nadal was 2 sets down when he pulled up.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:I am not suggesting Murray couldnt challenge Nadal but his record against him in slams is pretty shocking. He did beat a fully fit Nadal at the US open but his win in the Aussie open was definitley as much to do with injury, no denying that.

When was the last time Murray beat him in a slam, must have been at least 3- 4 years ago. could be wrong though

It's 2 and a half years since Rafa beat Murray in a slam Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 09 Jan 2014, 5:06 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:I am not suggesting Murray couldnt challenge Nadal but his record against him in slams is pretty shocking. He did beat a fully fit Nadal at the US open but his win in the Aussie open was definitley as much to do with injury, no denying that.

I deny that, Nadal Denied that, most professionals deny that - so if fact most people deny that

Nadal was not injured in the first 2 sets and lost them

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 09 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm

First of all, I have nothing against Murray. I do remember watching that match though and Nadal definitely seemed off, was really poor and his movememt was not like normal.

Getting away from that didnt they play in 3 slam matches in 2011, two of which would be Murrays favourites at Wimbleon and US open and Nadal won reasonably comfortably. I dont think Nadal matches up well for him. I am always surprised by the stat that Murray has only won one set against Nadal in 3 meetings at wimbledon

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 09 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

On a seperate note, shame that Nalbandian has retired......will definitley miss him in the slams. Also the continued absence of Robin Soderling, amazing how he never got over that glandular fever, must be 2-3 years since he was forced off the tour. Who knows, we would probably be speaking of him as a contendor over the next couple of weeks. What might have been for the big Swede !

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 09 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm

Riskysports wrote:

I deny that, Nadal Denied that, most professionals deny that - so if fact most people deny that

Nadal got injured during the 2nd set. He said so after the match. Nadal lost the 2nd set on a tie break and obviously would have had a better chance of winning a tie break if he wasn't injured  Rolling Eyes He retired in the third set and it was a five set match so there is no argument.

Murray's win over Nadal in the US Open was one of the worst GS matches Nadal has ever played. After the first days play Nadal said he didn't think it would be possible to play any worse...

But then there are some that even think Murray's win over Nadal in Rotterdam was not due to injury.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:05 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Riskysports wrote:

Nadal got injured during the 2nd set. He said so after the match.

Well, if Nadal said it, it must be true. On the other hand if Uncle Toni also said it, then we can't be sure.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm

So that's 3 Murray wins over Rafa we've put an * against already!  Laugh 

Come on, only two more to go before we can change the tight HC H2H into a 6-0 whitewash!

Oh wait... I've just been informed Murray had injuries in all 6 of his defeats. I guess the H2H is 0-0.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:52 pm

They only count if a player is playing his best tennis. In which case, given that they haven't played in the last couple of years - it really is 0-0!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Jan 2014, 8:28 pm

To be honest I'm more interested in the early round matches, hoping for some good match ups before we have to look to the semis and finals. Shame Evans didn't make it through also.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by DJB14 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:01 pm

Normally I would be interested to see where the likes of Federer and Murray end up in the draw but with regards to the latters injuries and the formers form its not quite the same.

I'm interested to see where Del Potro and Wawrinka end up in the draw. They seem the more danger players if they pick up where they left off last season.

DJB14

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:So that's 3 Murray wins over Rafa we've put an * against already!  Laugh 

At least  Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:47 pm

lydian wrote:To be honest I'm more interested in the early round matches, hoping for some good match ups before we have to look to the semis and finals. Shame Evans didn't make it through also.

I just checked his score before I went to work and it was 4-4 but he'd only dropped one point on serve (a double fault). When I checked later he had only won one more game. Seemed to drown in a tide of unforced errors if the stats are reliable. A real shame as that was as easy a set of qualies matches as you could get.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm

Absolutely BS, I thought he'd make it through too. Yep UEs killed him if you look at the stats of the match ... (Nicely laid out by AO) http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day2/11222ms.html ... he made 30 unforced errors in a shortish match of 64 61. In particular his returning was poor and FH spraying all over. Just a bad day at the office. Opportunity wasted. His ranking remains around #150.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:19 pm

Just looking at the records of the top guys at the AO...

Rafa: 35-7
Novak: 39-5
David: 28-11
Andy: 29-8
JMDP: 16-7
Roger: 68-10

That's a lot of match wins between them! And nine titles to boot. Novak's win % is insane, amazing how dominant he's been here in the last few years. Even when he was a kid he did pretty well (R16 in 2007, I think?). Rafa has those kinds of stats everywhere, and Fed's record speaks for itself. Everyone outside that group is definitely up against it.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:33 pm

Stat: Out of the 128 men in the singles draw, only 4 have been number 1 in the world.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:00 am

...and only 3 have previously won AO?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:07 am

That's quite the amazing statistic, TSJ. The big three and Hewitt? A few more AO stats...

Djokovic: Chasing 5 AO titles (would stand alone), and 4 straight titles (extends own record). Also going for 15th consecutive slam SF, 19th consecutive QF. If he makes the final, he'll be tied 5th (Sampras) on the AO match wins list with 45.

Nadal: Trying to be the first man to win every slam at least twice, and to tie Sampras on the slam total with 14. Will move to 7th on match wins at the AO if he makes the SF. Looking for 7th consecutive QF at the AO, if you take aside his absence last year.

Murray: Has made the final in three of the last four years. Seeking 5th consecutive SF at the AO, could go as high as 10th on the match win count.

Federer: Like Djokovic, attempting to win his fifth title. Trying to make his 11th (!) consecutive SF at the AO. Currently tops win charts with 68 wins (Edberg, 56).

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:11 am

Exactly Silver + lydian.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:15 am

It's turning into a bit of a nightmare for poor old Roger.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:23 am

And Djokovic has a lovely draw there.

Fed's draw: WC, Stepanek, Verdasco, Tsonga, Murray/Isner, Nadal, Djokovic
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:25 am

That may well be the hardest slam draw for a top player in the last decade. Ouch. Actually, perhaps not - the only saving grace is that Murray is coming back from injury. Otherwise, it's brutal!

That means Novak must be liking his draw...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:27 am

Nadal's Quarter The Australian Open Draw E1DKqBA
Djokovic's Quarter The Australian Open Draw FpSFnQe
Murray's Quarter The Australian Open Draw DbaJGfT
Ferrer's Quarter The Australian Open Draw 66CJO2I

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:29 am

Turbot will fancy his chances after that tumultuous DC win!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:29 am

Nadal has Tomic in first round. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:30 am

Nadal's draw isn't easy either. Tomic 1st round!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:36 am

Possible Wawrinka-Djokovic repeat. The Australian Open Draw 3845856932

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down