The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement

4 posters

Go down

Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement Empty Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement

Post by Shifty Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5270.php

Cardiff Blues openside Martyn Williams looks forward to season with Blues after World Cup omission.
Speaking at the Vale of Glamorgan training centre, Martyn Williams said,
"Obviously they announced the Wales squad on Monday and I got a text off a friend telling me I hadn't made it and then I checked the website."

"It's just one of those things. I enjoyed myself all summer with the squad and just came up a little bit short I think."

"There's a lot of perks of the job but this is one of the down sides."

"I came back to the Blues on Tuesday and although obviously I am disappointed that I'm not going to the World Cup I'm just looking forward to being back with the Blues and getting a good season."

"The feedback I've had from the Blues players is that they've been training hard all summer."

"Obviously I benefited from the training camp in Poland so I'm feeling good physically and mentally."

"This is going to be my last season so I just want to try to make the most of it and also enjoy myself."

Speaking of the changes that occurred over the summer, Williams said,

"Dai has gone and it's a different set up now so I'm excited to be here."

"Dai was a huge force for the Blues, not only bringing success on the field, but also off the field through the tough times."

"There was a massive transition for the club and region and Dai was at the forefront of that."

"We've probably got the best facilities in Europe, if not the world at this level, and the players we signed were obviously down to Dai and the board."

"It's strange not having him around. I had him as a Captain and then coach for over 10 years so it's been a strange week, but I'm sure he'll do a great job up at Wasps. They've done well in the pre season."

"Obviously Justin and Gareth are two different people and want to put their stamp on things."

"When you do change coaches things change because people have different ideas."

"There are obviously still a lot of familiar faces with a lot of the players but also a lot of new exiting younger players coming through."

"In some ways nothing has changed, but in other ways people have been given more control, so it will be interesting to see how it goes."

Looking ahead to the RABO DIRECT Pro 12 matches Williams added,

"I haven't really thought that this could be my last trip to certain grounds but I won't miss going to some of the away stadiums."

"Sam's away at the World Cup now and I'm looking forward to putting pressure on him when he returns."

"However, the most important thing is to be successful again as we had a bit of a hiccup last year."
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement Empty Re: Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement

Post by Shifty Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

Iv'e been waiting for him to say something, he seems to have handled it really well in public anyway, though I must admit I'm gutted for him.

Personally I think Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams, and Shane Williams will get their millenium stadium goodbye party against Australia in December.

Australia will send a mickey mouse team and Wales will send off their golden oldies.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement Empty Re: Martyn Williams reflects on RWC announcement

Post by Gatts Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:42 pm

Not sure SJ will retire and due to Hook's versatility and slight inconsistency at 10 i think SJ will always be bench at least until RP gets established.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

yeh SJ has no plans to retire or so he claims- hopefully shane may stay for last 6n but i guess depending on how the WC goes it could be a good final swansong

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

No, don't bet on Aus sending a scratch team. South Africa never and we better hope we aren't in a complete dissaray without a coach again like we were the last time we played a post world cup test against the SH.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down