The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell

+9
captain carrantuohil
Lumbering_Jack
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Valero's Conscience
Steffan
Rowley
Scottrf
The Galveston Giant
Pound-for-Pound
13 posters

Go down

Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell Empty Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 5 Sep - 22:13

copied from Boxrec.com

Birmingham's former world amateur champion Frankie Gavin has split with his Manchester trainer Anthony 'Arnie' Farnell.

Gavin posted on Facebook, "I am not with arnie no more deb I owe him a lot he put a lot of effort into mean an I learnt loads but was becoming unhappy up manchester personal reasons an what not, I am gonna move to London got something sorted for my next fight in oct x"

A lot was expected of Gavin in the pro ranks and he's yet to fulfil that promise, with rumours of him leading a lifestyle that doesn't reflect the ultimate dedication needed to reach the highest level of achievement.

This has culminated in to two relatively unimpressive back-to-back performances - a clear but uninspiring points win against Young Mutley and a very narrow, hard fought points win against fellow BoxRec poster Curtis Woodhouse.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell Empty Re: Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 5 Sep - 22:15

Good move, he needs a new trainer and get himself sorted, not sure who though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell Empty Re: Frankie Gavin splits with trainer Farnell

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 5 Sep - 22:18

He must already have a new trainer lined up if he's split with his trainer a month before a fight. Anyone know who the top trainers in London are?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 22:22

Jimmy Tibbs or Jim McDonnell maybe?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 5 Sep - 22:23

This annoys me a bit, young kid doesn't show the commitment to the sport that is necessary and doesn't get himself down to his optimum weight and so his trainer gets the bullet. Farnell or any trainer can only do so much, if he is putting work in in the gym only to then go out and shovel 8 pints down his neck not too much a trainer can do to stop that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 5 Sep - 22:23

Adam Booth even?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 22:24

Tibbs apparently.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 5 Sep - 22:26

Mcdonnell would get him in great shape but i'd rather he joined a trainer who would sharpen his technique also.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 5 Sep - 22:38

Not sure whether it's good or bad.

If Gavin dropped his trainer with the sole purpose to join somewhere to further his career then fair enough but if it's partly down to arguments over Gavin's commitment and recent troubles then Gavin should have stayed.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 22:39

Valero's Conscience wrote:Not sure whether it's good or bad.

If Gavin dropped his trainer with the sole purpose to join somewhere to further his career then fair enough but if it's partly down to arguments over Gavin's commitment and recent troubles then Gavin should have stayed.
GF problems I think. Not sure why that makes you want to leave the city though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 5 Sep - 22:53

He needs to sort out his conditioning and campaign at Light Welter.

Is Tibbs Mitchells trainer?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 22:54

Yep.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 5 Sep - 22:57

Scottrf wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:Not sure whether it's good or bad.

GF problems I think. Not sure why that makes you want to leave the city though.

Cheers Scott,

Hope he doesn't become Britain's biggest wasted talent. Sad

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 5 Sep - 22:58

I think Gavin could do with some Roach type training and bring in a conditioning coach.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 5 Sep - 22:58

I think Gavin could do with some Roach type training and bring in a conditioning coach.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 22:59

Can he afford Roach/Ariza?

Plus I'm not sure Roach has the time. I doubt most of the guys 'trained by Roach' actually are. Although the sparring and change of scenery in the US may suit.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 5 Sep - 23:08

Scottrf wrote:Can he afford Roach/Ariza?

Plus I'm not sure Roach has the time. I doubt most of the guys 'trained by Roach' actually are. Although the sparring and change of scenery in the US may suit.

It would be on Warren to front it, if he has enough faith. He certainly has the talent.

I didnt necessarily mean Roach but he could do with a complete change of scenery and approach to boxing.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 5 Sep - 23:26

I personally dont like him. He is fat and lazy, everything I hate in a person.

Trainers often get the blame for things outside their control, Gavin in this instance is blaming him for his bone idle attitute.

As for the GF issues, he needs to man up, wuss......

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 5 Sep - 23:37

He's fast becoming a pain in the backside, I'm afraid. Seems to feel that his talent alone affords him the God-given right to win fights, tell the world how marvellous he is, skip training, overeat and behave with disloyalty.

This attitude is not new; we have had the same indiscipline since his amateur days, and he needs to shape up mentally and physically or find another profession. As a wise man said many years ago: "I thought that he was a man of promise; unfortunately, it seems that he is a man of promises."

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 5 Sep - 23:38

Think the Captain has hit the nail on the head...

Although I'll chuck in that I've always thought he was the second best of the three some way behing Degale.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 23:39

What three?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 5 Sep - 23:40

Olympians..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 5 Sep - 23:40

I always forget about Saunders. Does he have anything planned?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 5 Sep - 23:41

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Olympians..
Degale, Price, Bradley Saunders, Billy Joe Saunders, Jeffries. Gavin didn't even compete.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 5 Sep - 23:52

You're being pedantic..pound for pound was intelligent enough to understand..

No doubt he's a liberal too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Tue 6 Sep - 0:00

I always forget Jeffries was an Olympian too. Is it just me or has he got worse since his pro debut? I remember finding him the most impressive of all of the amateurs who had just entered the pro ranks.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 6 Sep - 0:00

How is that pedantic? I wanted to know which of the others you thought he was better than.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Tue 6 Sep - 0:02

gavin try flowers he might give it another go

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 6 Sep - 1:58

If Gavin had half the desire of Jeffries or Jeffries had the ability of Gavin, you'd have a decent fighter on your hands. Jeffries stank the place out recently and took it upon himself to go to America and get himself some better quality training a sparring. Took himself away from his wife and kids in order to try and make it work for him. Hard to say how it's worked given he's be out injured for a while but at least Tony wants to put the work in. Gavin has grown far too big for his boots since BEFORE the Olympics when tipped for big things but then failed to make the weight.

What other waste of space would be given the same opportunity? He should count his blessings that Warren is still interested!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 6 Sep - 6:24

Strange move he was in boxing news a couple of weeks ago and then boxing monthly saying Farnell wasn't the problem it was him. Changing trainers won't do much unless he sorts his attitude out.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Wed 7 Sep - 19:48

From watching their pro debuts, I thought Gavin was the better fighter by far of all the fromer amateur/Olympic fighters. He threw quality combos from head to body and was deliberate calculating and did not waste a shot.

However, after the first year he has stagnated and think, realistically going to the States would be goos thing. He will not have all the distractions there and also get better quality sparring. I think he can not attach himself to Roach then Steward or the Mayweathers would be choices as think they could help improve his natural boxing style.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down