The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price splits from trainer

+11
Strongback
Lumbering_Jack
RatBoy66
JabMachineMK2
School Project
jack-rabbitpunch
OasisBFC
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
hampo17
Pedro147
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Price splits from trainer Empty David Price splits from trainer

Post by Pedro147 Tue 27 Aug - 21:05

This been up on Twitter for the last hour or so. Not sure if this now means that Lewis will be his full-time trainer now. Maybe he needs fresh perspective but at the same time hard to coach his lack of stamina and dodgy chin.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

David Price splits from trainer Empty Re: David Price splits from trainer

Post by hampo17 Tue 27 Aug - 21:07

Not hard to coach a lack of stamina at all. That is something that can be worked on, his chin took more punishment in that second fight as well and he didn't go down so I'm not sure it is that "dodgy". 

However I'm not surprised about this, Franny Smith was his amateur trainer and had never worked in the pros before, and it showed in the two fights with Thompson.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 27 Aug - 21:12

But to me he doesn't cut corners in the gym but has a poor engine. Once he lets his hands go he runs on empty so if he doesn't get the opponent out of there then he looks shattered.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 27 Aug - 21:15

In the last fight you have to factor in the nervous energy he must have had, the bouncing around on his feet etc. All of that stuff does have an effect, he needs to work with a trainer who will slow his movements down. At his size he doesn't need to be bouncing round the ring, it looks completely unnatural. More roadwork, longer sparring sessions what ever he needs to do, a decent trainer with more professional experience will be able to sort that out.

He'll probably end up with Joe Gallagher.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 27 Aug - 21:17

Air of inevitability about this on the back of two bad results. Always feel there is a bit of scapegoatism about these kind of things but by the same token there are clearly some fundamental errors being made around his preparation so perhaps this is the best course of action. Also if this gives Price a bit of hunger and excitement for the game back has to be a positive as you have to think he is at a low ebb currently.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 27 Aug - 23:57

Maybe Franny Smith called it a day and felt he couldn't help Price any more, who knows?

Joe Gallagher if you look at it critically hasn't done an awful lot as a trainer and what does he know about training the giants. I don't know what it is but I get a bad vibe off Gallagher.

Price would be better off with Peter Fury if Peter is interested in looking beyond the family.

Realistically there aren't that many option for Price when it comes to trainers.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 28 Aug - 0:42

Teddy Atlas! Just so I can hear his soundbites.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 28 Aug - 9:48

i hear booth might be interested. i'd love that.
peter fury would be good for him too if he gets past his fury beef.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jack-rabbitpunch Wed 28 Aug - 10:02

What are you basing your Peter Fury recomendations on?

jack-rabbitpunch

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 28 Aug - 10:49

Odd that Booth would be interested seeing as Price was once Promoted by "Hayemaker" and left due to his career stalling...

Had a feeling he left "Hayemaker" with a bit of bad blood. Could be wrong though.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug - 11:03

Price has the tools but lacks the belief when it comes right down to it. He appears to have no love for the game and no appetite for the fight when the going gets tough. Until he gets his head right, he can train til the cows come home and it won't help him one jot.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 28 Aug - 11:56

School Project wrote:Odd that Booth would be interested seeing as Price was once Promoted by "Hayemaker" and left due to his career stalling...

Had a feeling he left "Hayemaker" with a bit of bad blood. Could be wrong though.
he's since sparred with haye so i don't think there's any bad blood.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 28 Aug - 11:59

jack-rabbitpunch wrote:What are you basing your Peter Fury recomendations on?
based on him knowing more than a thing or 2 about heavies, as he trains the best one in the country outside of haye and a very good prospect in hughie who in a few years could realistically be better than tyson.

he's respected by his peers too, booth is a fan. by all accounts he lives and breaths boxing and is very, very thorough in his training.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug - 12:06

OasisBFC wrote:
based on him knowing more than a thing or 2 about heavies, as he trains the best one in the country outside of haye and a very good prospect in hughie who in a few years could realistically be better than tyson.
he's respected by his peers too, booth is a fan. by all accounts he lives and breaths boxing and is very, very thorough in his training.

When you say "realistically" do you really mean it or were you stuck for a more appropriate word?

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 28 Aug - 12:09

Better than Tyson

Thats cracked me up.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Wed 28 Aug - 12:29

I think he means Tyson Fury, not Mike, although I did read it as such the first time.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug - 13:03

RatBoy66 wrote:I think he means Tyson Fury, not Mike, although I did read it as such the first time.
I knew he meant Tyson Fury I just didn't believe he thought Hughie was arguably a better propect (not that Tyson's good, it's just tha Hughie's dreadful)

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 28 Aug - 13:28

I don't think Price has the required athleticism to be a Booth fighter. He needs solid fundamentals instead of reflex based raid attacks.

The obvious trainer for him would be Steward, but without him maybe Jonathan Banks would be the next best thing.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 28 Aug - 19:39

DAVE667 wrote:
RatBoy66 wrote:I think he means Tyson Fury, not Mike, although I did read it as such the first time.
I knew he meant Tyson Fury I just didn't believe he thought Hughie was arguably a better propect (not that Tyson's good, it's just tha Hughie's dreadful)

You don't think Hughie is a better prospect than Tyson was?

You really are a strange man.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 28 Aug - 20:54

I think it's hard to split them if you are to compare where they were/are on a like for like basis. It wasn't until Fury fought some marginally better opposition that his flows become very obvious, the jury is out on his cousin until he fights someone other than a fat doorman.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 29 Aug - 13:16

DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:

When you say "realistically" do you really mean it or were you stuck for a more appropriate word?
That was exactly the word I was looking for. Otherwise I would have typed something else.

Sorry, yes I was talking about tyson fury. i thought that was obvious since i was talking about his uncle and cousin in the same paragraph and saying he could be better than mike is ludicrous.

Hugie is a better prospect than Tyson (that's Tyson Fury...not Mike Tyson. I mean Tyson Fury) was at his age, of course he is.
World Championship Gold medal winner. He's 18 and 6ft6 6 and will get much stronger and probably taller into his early 20's. He is sparring with Tyson (that's Fury, remember) who like it or not is one of the best heavyweights in the world at the minute and the likes of Dillian Whyte, Steve Cunningham etc.

Peter Fury even offered Tony Thompson to fight Hugie. That was a bit early I know but they really rate him. Tyson FURY admits he's likely to be more successful as he loves the sport where he dislikes training.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug - 13:23

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Given I don't rate Tyson Fury as highly as some on here, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that, having watched the lumbering oaf (Hughie) clubbing an even fatter more out of condition fighter to the ground a few weeks ago whilst displaying all the grace of a large angry child having a tantrum, I don't rate him either. He has little in the way of co-ordination or basic boxing skills and is essentially a big bloke that they've managed to tie some boxing gloves onto.

The fact that Tyson rates him shouldn't really be any sort of indicator of his potential.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 29 Aug - 16:55

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Given I don't rate Tyson Fury as highly as some on here, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that, having watched the lumbering oaf (Hughie) clubbing an even fatter more out of condition fighter to the ground a few weeks ago whilst displaying all the grace of a large angry child having a tantrum, I don't rate him either. He has little in the way of co-ordination or basic boxing skills and is essentially a big bloke that they've managed to tie some boxing gloves onto.

The fact that Tyson rates him shouldn't really be any sort of indicator of his potential.
they must just give world golds away nowadays.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug - 17:17

Maybe, but if we're to talk about medals, dear David Price has an Olympic medal, Audley has and Olympic medal and a World Silver Medal (I think) so as I say, I'd prefer to judge them on what I see rather than what they've won

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 29 Aug - 17:45

DAVE667 wrote:Maybe, but if we're to talk about medals, dear David Price has an Olympic medal, Audley has and Olympic medal and a World Silver Medal (I think) so as I say, I'd prefer to judge them on what I see rather than what they've won
both of those were well into their 20's and were fighting the same standard as hughie. it's just that he has managed to get his first 8 fights over with in a month. if he stays regular and keeps winning, he'll be one of the best heavyweights in europe pretty soon.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug - 18:01

OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Maybe, but if we're to talk about medals, dear David Price has an Olympic medal, Audley has and Olympic medal and a World Silver Medal (I think) so as I say, I'd prefer to judge them on what I see rather than what they've won
both of those were well into their 20's and were fighting the same standard as hughie. it's just that he has managed to get his first 8 fights over with in a month. if he stays regular and keeps winning, he'll be one of the best heavyweights in europe pretty soon.
Not really much of a boast is it...like being the fifth biggest tart in Newcastle!

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 29 Aug - 19:46

I may be wrong but isn't the entire Ring magazine list of top ten heavyweights European?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 29 Aug - 23:39

Don't worry about Dave, it's not that long go that he used to hang around claiming he knew nothing about boxing.

Goes without saying Dave is way off about Hughie most likely because he's never seen him fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 9:50

Strongback wrote:Don't worry about Dave, it's not that long go that he used to hang around claiming he knew nothing about boxing.

Goes without saying Dave is way off about Hughie most likely because he's never seen him fight.
Idiot....saw him on Channel 5 the night Tyson Fury was saying Hughie could break Mike Tyson's record as the World Youngest ever HW title. Tyson Fury's plan was to beat Haye, Vitali, Wlad, vacate and allow Hughie to pick up a strap. Heard that, laughed my pants off and, more importanly, saw Hughie clubbing that fat fella to the floor using all the grace and finesse of Wreck-it Ralph.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 30 Aug - 11:29

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Don't worry about Dave, it's not that long go that he used to hang around claiming he knew nothing about boxing.

Idiot....saw him on Channel 5 the night Tyson Fury was saying Hughie could break Mike Tyson's record as the World Youngest ever HW title. Tyson Fury's plan was to beat Haye, Vitali, Wlad, vacate and allow Hughie to pick up a strap. Heard that, laughed my pants off and, more importanly, saw Hughie clubbing that fat fella to the floor using all the grace and finesse of Wreck-it Ralph.
Based on that response you're the idiot. Hughie has very good footwork and he is very controlled in his movement for a man 6'6 tall. He boxes very well behind an excellent jab and does not just let his hands go and brawl like Tyson. He also has a very heavy right hand. We don't know how good his chin is because his level of opposition have not tested it.

Basically he's miles ahead of Tyson at the same age and is being moved along quickly with successively more difficult opponents. They intend to have 24 fights in his first year as a pro which they are on program for. Two different fighters completely and Hughie is only 18.

Try using rationale instead of your hate filled bile sometime and your boxing opinion might be taken more seriously.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 11:46

He's fought utter dross and looked crude in the extreme doing so. I don't care how old he is, he'll only look "special" as he'll be pitted against gift wrapped garbage for ages. They want him to have fight every fortnight and you think he's going to learn anything knocking over fighters that even the tomato cans would turn their noses up at?

Like I said, you're an idiot, but don't get mad, I'm just stating the obvious, remember?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 30 Aug - 12:23

Check out out who Hughie's opponents have been in with and note how Hughie has gotten the job done more quickly.

Putting a box over your head and calling me an idiot isn't really going to get you anywhere.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 30 Aug - 12:25

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I may be wrong but isn't the entire Ring magazine list of top ten heavyweights European?
#10 is Stiverne.

So not all European, just no Americans.

Sorry Trussy......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:01

Strongback wrote:Check out out who Hughie's opponents have been in with and note how Hughie has gotten the job done more quickly.Putting a box over your head and calling me an idiot isn't really going to get you anywhere.
David Price beat Audley quicker than David Haye did....what does that prove in the great scheme of things? Sticking your head up your hole and blathering about Hughie Fury being the best thing since sliced bread isn't going to help you...and trotting out his opposition is hardly going to strengthen your argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 30 Aug - 13:02

TopHat24/7 wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:I may be wrong but isn't the entire Ring magazine list of top ten heavyweights European?
#10 is Stiverne.

So not all European, just no Americans.

Sorry Trussy......
Uzbekistan not in europe too (Chagaev).

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 30 Aug - 13:04

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Check out out who Hughie's opponents have been in with and note how Hughie has gotten the job done more quickly.Putting a box over your head and calling me an idiot isn't really going to get you anywhere.
David Price beat Audley quicker than David Haye did....what does that prove in the great scheme of things? Sticking your head up your hole and blathering about Hughie Fury being the best thing since sliced bread isn't going to help you...and trotting out his opposition is hardly going to strengthen your argument.
woah woah woah, no one mentioned sliced bread.
a pitta maybe, a pikelet at a push but not sliced bread.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:05

OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Not even one of those extra thick white loaves?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 30 Aug - 13:09

When did I say Hughie was greatest thing since sliced bread?

As a prospect Hughie is even worse than Tyson according to you. That view is incorrect.

Everyone and their cat knows Hughie is the much better prospect. If you followed the sport you'd know that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 30 Aug - 13:13

DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
definitely not one of those. they make excellent toast.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:15

OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
They're that thick they'd make a decent mattress

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 30 Aug - 13:16

DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
They're that thick they'd make a decent mattress
of course, it's where the term 'bed & breakfast' comes from.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:22

Strongback wrote: A When did I say Hughie was greatest thing since sliced bread?

As a prospect Hughie is even worse than Tyson according to you.  B That view is incorrect.

C Everyone and their cat knows Hughie is the much better prospect. If you followed the sport you'd know that.
A I didn't say you'd said it but they way you bang on about it you give that impression ( that or you have a little crush on him)
B However it differs from yours, my view or opinion cannot be incorrect as it's MY VIEW. In my view, the guy isn't very good and will not make it very far in this business. The ability to ride on Tyson's coat-tails will most probably fizzle out at the end of next month. I doubt Hughie is going to be the man to carry Channel 5 boxing.
C Even my cat won't watch the Fury boys fighting. Like me, she has exquisite taste

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 30 Aug - 13:29

Hughie doesn't look much cop to me either, very sloppy but has a semi famous cousin so gets a lot of interest and hype, he's up against the might of Shane McPhilbin next, a useless cruiserweight.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 30 Aug - 13:30

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote: A When did I say Hughie was greatest thing since sliced bread?

As a prospect Hughie is even worse than Tyson according to you.  B That view is incorrect.

C Everyone and their cat knows Hughie is the much better prospect. If you followed the sport you'd know that.
A I didn't say you'd said it but they way you bang on about it you give that impression ( that or you have a little crush on him)
B However it differs from yours, my view or opinion cannot be incorrect as it's MY VIEW. In my view, the guy isn't very good and will not make it very far in this business. The ability to ride on Tyson's coat-tails will most probably fizzle out at the end of next month. I doubt Hughie is going to be the man to carry Channel 5 boxing.
C Even my cat won't watch the Fury boys fighting. Like me, she has exquisite taste

What's the point? If you have any more of those cardboard boxes I think I'll put one over my own head. It'll be like Waiting for Godot.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:31

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Hughie doesn't look much cop to me either, very sloppy but has a semi famous cousin so gets a lot of interest and hype, he's up against the might of Shane McPhilbin next, a useless cruiserweight.
Careful, STRONGY will suggest you're an alias of mine.
P.S. I agree with every word of your post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:33

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

What's the point?  If you have any more of those cardboard boxes I think I'll put one over my own head.  It'll be like Waiting for Godot.
I'd prefer it if you climbed into the cardboard box, filled the remaining space with house bricks and got someone to push you off a cliff. It'll be like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 30 Aug - 13:40

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Hughie doesn't look much cop to me either, very sloppy but has a semi famous cousin so gets a lot of interest and hype, he's up against the might of Shane McPhilbin next, a useless cruiserweight.

Time will tell. Myself and many other observers see him as a better prospect than Tyson.

BTW his fundamentals are much better than Tyson's. He has good balance and movement. He also doesn't arm punch. 8 fights in 4 months. The kid is 18 and in learning fights. I'm not saying he's the saviour of the heavyweight scene but he will get a title shot in time given the current poor standard of heavyweights.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 30 Aug - 13:41

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

What's the point?  If you have any more of those cardboard boxes I think I'll put one over my own head.  It'll be like Waiting for Godot.
I'd prefer it if you climbed into the cardboard box, filled the remaining space with house bricks and got someone to push you off a cliff. It'll be like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one.

urine off you Meat trombone soloist.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 30 Aug - 13:44

Strongback wrote:urine off you Meat trombone soloist.
laughing 

What's BSA?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug - 13:49

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

urine off you Meat trombone soloist.
Oh dear me STRONGY, things getting on top of you? Shame I was even willing to buy a new fridge freezer and PM you asking for directions as to where to sent the empty box.
The simple fact you have answered Terror's post in a rationale manner despite him holding the same opinion of Hughie as me clearly demonstrates that it's a personal thing as you're the one letting blind hatred rule what little commonsense you have and failing to look past the poster or read the actual post itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next