The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price has another new trainer.

+9
mikeymax71
Knowsit17
Izzi
smashingstormcrow
Strongback
Mr Bounce
jimdig
Steffan
hampo17
13 posters

Go down

David Price has another new trainer. Empty David Price has another new trainer.

Post by hampo17 Thu 26 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

Wonder what happened with Booth?

http://www.davidprice.co.uk/index.php/2013-05-07-11-02-18/news/item/130-price-teams-up-with-legendary-trainer-tommy-brooks

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

David Price has another new trainer. Empty Re: David Price has another new trainer.

Post by Steffan Thu 26 Dec 2013, 7:36 pm

Probably something to do with David Haye, a kingsized bed and a bottle of vaseline and Price wasnt keen

Steffan

Back to top Go down

David Price has another new trainer. Empty Price splits with booth

Post by jimdig Thu 26 Dec 2013, 9:32 pm

Price splits with booth, he sights disagreement over management as the reason. Seems like a similar scenario as groves. He's taken on tommy brooks as his trainer. Personally I hope price gets back to his winning ways, for me the 2nd Thompson fight showed he doesn't have a glass jaw, and that his problems should be fixed by a decent trainer and a confidence makeover. Is brooks the right guy? I dunno 2013 has been a year to forget for price that's for sure.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=dan-rafael&id=6938

jimdig

Back to top Go down

David Price has another new trainer. Empty Re: David Price has another new trainer.

Post by hampo17 Thu 26 Dec 2013, 9:47 pm

I've merged these threads together Jim thumbsup

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 26 Dec 2013, 10:08 pm

Thanks hampo, I didn't scroll down. I was going to leave the speculation to strongy, but my reading between the lines, I'd be guessing price didn't want to pay booth manager and trainer fees.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 26 Dec 2013, 10:14 pm

Had a feeling that this wasn't going to last long. Booth sounds like a difficult person to work with; sounds like Haye won't be "retired" long for me. Price would've wanted to be given Booth's full attention for his heavyweight exploits. If Haye was back on the scene that means Booth would be like a moth to a flame. Not ideal if your self-belief is a bit iffy.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 26 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm

jimdig wrote:Thanks hampo, I didn't scroll down. I was going to leave the speculation to strongy, but my reading between the lines, I'd be guessing price didn't want to pay booth manager and trainer fees.

You have to speculate to accumulate or as we use'd to say in Temple Bar in the late '90’s you have speculate to ejaculate.  Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 26 Dec 2013, 10:38 pm

Speculate to ejaculate, brilliant, can't believe I've never heard that before.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Fri 27 Dec 2013, 9:01 am

Does Booth have any fighters left?

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 27 Dec 2013, 10:35 am

Andy lee

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 27 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

Pacquiao was knocked out early in his career and moved to Roach. Therefore it is fairly obvious that Price is going to become a beast after his move and knock every HW out.

Fact.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm

His fitness and durability are the major issues and until he sorts them he'll keep falling short against most half decent heavyweights. The fact that 42-year-old Thompson can knacker him out over 5 speaks volumes.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

I was a fan of Price but was hoping as he stepped up the competition he would start going through the gears. However, as he ventured into international class, it showed he only has one pace to fight at the moment. The constant corner changes will be hard to show any career dividends for a couple of years at least.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:20 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:His fitness and durability are the major issues and until he sorts them he'll keep falling short against most half decent heavyweights. The fact that 42-year-old Thompson can knacker him out over 5 speaks volumes.

I don't think it's his fitness so much as his lack of composure and how that relates to burning energy/dumping adrenaline. He doesn't have that fighters mentality where he doesn't mind being hit. Audley was the same. He panics and get knackered easily as a result. Price is great while in his comfort zone. He's horrible when he's out of it.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:22 pm

The names Brooks has worked with are impressive, but at what stage in their careers did he work with them?

Tyson's strongest run of form was with Cus/Rooney/Atlas, Holyfield's peak is often seen as the Bowe victory which he was with Steward for. Wlad's peak was certainly with Steward.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:54 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:His fitness and durability are the major issues and until he sorts them he'll keep falling short against most half decent heavyweights. The fact that 42-year-old Thompson can knacker him out over 5 speaks volumes.

I don't think it's his fitness so much as his lack of composure and how that relates to burning energy/dumping adrenaline. He doesn't have that fighters mentality where he doesn't mind being hit. Audley was the same. He panics and get knackered easily as a result. Price is great while in his comfort zone. He's horrible when he's out of it.

Maybe a little of both, it's rather difficult to say precisely. Most of Price's wins coming well within the distance, he has that aura of a puncher who wants to blast everyone and doesn't necessarily expect or isn't prepared for a long war, a common pitfall for fighters who earn reputations as big hitters. And in the 2nd Thompson fight (the first I'm still not quite sure what happened) after a very good initial start, the fact that Thompson returned fire and hurt Price with body shots and the subsequent ease with which the latter folded looked significant.

A lack of composure would make a lot of sense. If I were his trainer I'd want him to eat a lot of hard leather during sessions as well as dishing it out. You won't survive long in the HW division if you can't take as good as you're willing to give.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Dec 2013, 7:12 pm

Booth rips fighters off.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm

Mate knows David Price - asked him and he said that Booth was asking for too much percentage of purses and when it boiled down to it, fighting away in Germany and after expenses and such Price would have been making next to no money - like literally nothing.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 29 Dec 2013, 8:54 am

You can imagine there wouldn't be much left from the purse after giving booth his manager and trainer share, sauderland their promotors share, training camp expenses and travel expenses. If booth wants to stay in the training game you'd guess he'd need to drop his duel demand of being manager and receiving double bubble.

If Macklin v lee gets made for the 17th of march, you could see Andy lee doing the same thing.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 29 Dec 2013, 11:05 am

I can't believe Booth's percentage was not discussed and agreed before Price started training with him.

My guess would be that Saurerland did not want Booth to be Price's manager as it could cause a conflict of interest and would cut into their share.  Booth probably walked or got paid off.

Booth does seem to have become more ruthless when it comes to the money end of things.  I've read rumours Haye isn't that keen on Booth's recent behaviour.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm

My mate says it was discussed but when push came to shove when it came to expenses Booth was asking for a huge amount more than Price was prepared to pay. I think it was between 5 and 10% of Davids purse but expenses were calculated outside and it was more than Price could really afford given how much less he's been earning recently.

Bear in mind that boxers have to spend large amounts of money even before a punch has been thrown in the ring - the best trainers/managers will just take their cut from the fight purse - but some will want that and instant remuneration.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down