The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry 'The King' Lawler

+8
Holymiky
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Kay Fabe
crippledtart
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Marky
theundisputedY2D2
12 posters

Go down

Jerry 'The King' Lawler Empty Jerry 'The King' Lawler

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:29 am

Remember when Jerry 'The King' Lawler was actually the best colour commentator around? "Nay!" I hear you cry, but believe me he was actually pretty damn good at it, and funny too. This thread is dedicated to the days when Jerry wasn't stale and patently uninterested.

So I'd like to turn this over to you, the good people of 606v2, for your favourite Jerry Lawler quotes, quips or comebacks. My personal favourites are:

Jim Ross (speaking about The Godfather) - "King, have you ever rolled a fatty?"

Jerry Lawler - "Remember that time I pushed you?"

-----

Jerry Lawler - "Look at Paul Bearer! That salad dodger!"

Jim Ross - "What?! Paul Bearer's lost a lot of weight!"

Jerry Lawler - "If he turns around he'll find it."

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Jerry 'The King' Lawler Empty Re: Jerry 'The King' Lawler

Post by Marky Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:34 am

"Koko B. Ware is a crossword wrestler: he enters the ring vertically, and leaves horizontally"

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am

When Mrs. Foley gave birth to Mankind, the doctors took one look at his face and his ass and said "oh my god - siamese twins"

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 am

My favourite ever Lawler commentary was during an Austin vs Dude Love match in 1998 (can't remember if it was their first or second PPV match).

Dude was trying to be corporate and had started wearing false teeth. Early in the match, the teeth fell out and Austin stamped on them, prompting Jerry to say "Dude's lost his smile!"

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm

I was never a big fan of Lawler, he had some great one liners and was pretty quick with a comeback but I can't ever remember him building up the heel, only ever putting down the face, he wasn't a patch on Jesse Ventura IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I used to like Lawler from 2001 all the way up to 2009. But now im kind of getting bored of him, i think this is down to the fact he is being a face commentatior and Cole is being a major heel. I want Cole to stay on Smackdown because i love it with him, Booker and Josh it is pretty good banter aswell. Jr and Lawler on Raw and get them back doing it like they used to (the good ole days)

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Lawler hasn't been good at years, I've seen people blame it on Cole which I think is completley unfair as even when it was the Lawler/JR comibination on Raw, he was still poor for a number of years. He has become too comfortable with his position.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm

I think that Lawler is OK but watching back to the older eras i can see why people would think that he has toned himself down alot, is it not due to the new eras do you think? (Not PG) Just so that he does not offend viewers i guess.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Lawler was at his best between 94-98, that was a PG era

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 pm

These are hilarious, didn't know Lawler was capable of this. I've only ever heard The Brain commentate once (at Rumble '93) and could already tell how amazing he was.

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:10 am

Used to be funny around 98 when Brian Christopher was in the WWF and was called "Too Much" with Scott Taylor, King would always put over how good he was and say he couldn't get enough of him and JR used to make refences to how he was his son and King would deney everything.

Was funny if you watch a ppv from arounf that time, Lisetn to JR & King go on about him.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:45 am

Why did they turn him face? That's when he began losing it for me.... Agree with Gaffer he ain't fit to lace Ventura or Heenans boots

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:01 am

I think they turned him face around about the time they inducted him into the HoF

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 am

Not sure if it was a turn exactly, but he was a face in his feud with Tazz back in 2000. Think that's when they began pushing his friendship with Jim Ross more because JR was the catalyst for the feud. From there Lawler gradually became less of a heel colour commentator, to the point around 2003 where the only heel he'd root for was Triple H (surprise surprise).

I think it was also around this time where he really started going downhill, it had been coming for a while but he really fell off a cliff, got into a comfort zone and just coasted along. I agree with Gaffer & Brady that he's nowhere near the level of Ventura or Heenan but when he was good he was very good. I thought his calling of the Iron Man match at Wrestlemania 12 was excellent, although having not seen that match for a while that might be a rose-tinted view on my part! Smile

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 am

It only really hit home to me how far he'd changed when JBL came in to SD. Now that was how a heel should call matches!

My favourite Lawler quote was actually from the WWF Attitude playstation game (remember that one?!) and it was something like "he went for an IQ test and it came back negative."

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down