The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread.

+14
Fellaini25
Sara
crippledtart
Shot 21 LCFC
BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM
psycho-gooner
talkingpoint
hodge
Kay Fabe
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Crimey
sodhat
JoshSansom
greggschickenbake
18 posters

Go down

The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread. Empty The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread.

Post by greggschickenbake Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:01 am

After arguably one of the most exciting PPV's in the last 5 years on Sunday, the only downside I could even think off was the commentating during the match. The thing is, it wasn't even Michael Cole's commentating, it was Jerry Lawler and his lazy form of commentating where he seems to repeat the same thing he's been saying and doing for the last 5 years. He makes the odd joke, answers a question and makes a pointless comment that doesn't add anything to the dynamic of the match or the commentating desk.

"But you know what I don't understand? I don't understand this following of all these fans behind CM Punk, when what he is saying is that is if he wins this big match tonight, he is turning his back on all these people and leaving."

Even Michael Cole must have smacked his head on the announce table when he heard that. CM Punk is wrestling infront of his hometown crowd in Chicago.

"If he wins and walks out of here, suddenly he's unemployed, he may win but yeah Punk I guess pay cheques are overrated. I quit too."

He must have forgot that he quit in 2001 over a woman. Surely he's realised that Punk does this because he loves to do it.

Feel free to add your comments and quotes of Jerry Lawler.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread. Empty Re: The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread.

Post by JoshSansom Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:13 am

A man who lusts over young women in a frankly disgusting way and mocks a woman in her mid 40's (who has had a couple of kids) for being fat and not having had plastic implants.

Frankly that man makes me sick and then sooner he leaves the better.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread. Empty Re: The Jerry 'The King' Lawler stupid comment appreciation thread.

Post by sodhat Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:24 am

I don't think either of his comments were that bad, and he had to make clear that Punk was a 'bad guy' for leaving the fans.

It may have been obvious that they would cheer Punk, being a Chicago man, but his point was salient in that after that he leaves, and leaves WWE without a belt.

I do agree that he isn't what he used to be announcing though. He does seem lazy, sometimes disinterested and often throws out jokes instead of actual analysis of what is going on.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by greggschickenbake Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:33 am

I would have much preferred Josh Matthews to have been commentating rather than Lawler.
Lawler is there for a pay cheque and nothing more now.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:46 am

I think he's probably the worst commentator on the two main shows now, Booker T has started to grow on me now, while Lawler is just boring, his commentating is lazy and he shouldn't be on the main show anymore. I like Cole, he's a good commenator IMO.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:51 am

I can't stand Booker - with his "Fave Five" or whatever it is.

He doesn't even know who's in it... except Sheamus Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

Lawler has been terrible for about 8/9 years, I've no idea why Vince keeps so much faith in him considering he doesn't like guys who are to old to be on regular TV

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:58 am

Electric Demon wrote:I can't stand Booker - with his "Fave Five" or whatever it is.

He doesn't even know who's in it... except Sheamus Laugh

I like it, even though it doesn't make sense, I don't think it's supposed to. He just says every guy who comes out is in his Fave Five. Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:02 am

Booker's interplay with Michael Cole is really funny. It sounds like Cole hates him as a co-commentator (I know that's in character)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:03 am

I really like Book commentating, he brings an enthusiasm to the announce team, he's still a tad green behind the desk but talks up the Wrestlers and highlights their qualities

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

as highlighted Lawler's comment at money in the bank, not being able to understand why fans were supporting punk

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by greggschickenbake Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:28 am

the-gaffer wrote:I really like Book commentating, he brings an enthusiasm to the announce team, he's still a tad green behind the desk but talks up the Wrestlers and highlights their qualities

I like Book as well. He may be slightly ineligible at times but the guy is extremely experienced so he knows what he's actually talking about and unlike Jerry, he has alot of enthusiasm as a commentator and for the business. You can tell that isn't an act and he loves what he does for a living.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:37 am

Lawler's colour commentary is about as relevant as Hogan wrestling. I'm afraid he is pretty redundant now and seems to only keep his job behind the desk because he's a part of the furniture. If I can make a comparison to UFC - Joe Rogan is the voice of the UFC, his commentating is good (he's very knowledgable as a martial artist himself and he's opinionated too - he offers analysis). I don't know how long Rogan will continue to commentate for but some how the UFC just wouldn't be the same without his "It's ALL OVER!!!" at the end of every KO victory. It's little catchphrases like that, which creates familiarity with the product and are readily identifiable with the experience. When you see highlight reels on youtube with Rogan's animated catchphrases it adds something to the product for me. Unfortunately Lawler doesn't have that same effect. There's nothing he says in particular that would stand out as a catchphrase like Cole's "vintage" or even Booker T's "fave 5". I mean Booker has been commentating for 6 months and already has a more identifiable character and catchphrase than Lawler who's been doing it donkey's years!

My only problem with Booker is for a colour commentator he needs to get out of the habit of saying "wow" every other move, but hopefully that will come in time.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

Lawler changed markedly in recent years from a more identifiable and enthusiastic commentator to a reserved and almost boring one.

He was perfect in the Attitude Era, being more heelish, and generally being seedy -- fitting the tone perfectly!

But now he feels a bit like a disapproving father in his general demeanour.

Booker has grown on me too. But he'll never beat JBL! Easily my favourite colour man of recent years.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:27 am

I still cant get used to Booker, comes out with the same old cliches, hes as bad as Jim from The Apprentice. Cole & Joey Styles were the only ones worth listening to.

As for colour commentators go, i remember Jesse ventura doing a sterling job

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:52 pm

Booker's an awful commentator, but I still like him because he and Cole have great chemistry. King, on the other hand, brings nothing to the table. His jokes are repetitive and unfunny, and he frequently seems to contradict himself. I also dislike the 'fat' comments he makes about Vickie, particularly seeing as he condemned the Bellas for saying something similar about Kharma a couple of months ago, and, after all, isn't he a fat old man himself?

BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 22 Jul 2011, 6:14 am

I still think Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross were the best commentating duo in WWE history.

Go on, slaughter me. I wont change my opinion though. And it seems like King has gone back to the seediness a little bit which is good to see.

PUPPIES!!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 22 Jul 2011, 6:54 am

JoshSansom wrote:A man who lusts over young women in a frankly disgusting way and mocks a woman in her mid 40's (who has had a couple of kids) for being fat and not having had plastic implants.

Frankly that man makes me sick and then sooner he leaves the better.

I'm so happy someone else said that and not me!

I do agree though.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Fri 22 Jul 2011, 7:21 am

I have to agree Lawler's commentary is terrible; he needs to go. He still has a go at Vickie which is ridiculous since she looks fantastic now, and I agree with him lusting over the diva's - gross, it makes me feel sick.

Booker T is very annoying. I enjoy his banter with Michael Cole however if he calls Daniel Bryan, D Bryan one more time I might just throw something at the TV. The "fave 5" is irritating, I think he has everybody on the Smackdown! roster in it!

I much prefer the Cole / Matthews combination. They have good chemistry and were hilarious on NXT.

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fellaini25 Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

Booker is hilarious, dats ma dawg d bryan right der he my pick

Fellaini25

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

he my pick Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

"The Big Show's so big that he can't go to the beach anymore 'cause Greenpeace keep towing him away

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 23 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

William Regal in my view is very good on commentary on nxt i would love to see him replace booker on smackdown and getting booker back in the ring !

Does anyone else rate Regals commentary ?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:28 am

Well I wouldn't go that far. But having Lawler be replaced by Booker T and having his vacant smackdown place filled by Regal seems like a reasonable suggestion for the future.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightToker Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

Kinda sad to hear Jerry Lawler nowadays knowing how good he can be in full heel mode. IMO, he was in the same league as Bobby Heenan in the mid-late 90s, he was fighting relegation from that league right enough but he and JR were the natural succesors to Gorilla and The Brain

MidnightToker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down