The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

+25
mckay1402
Ozzy3213
Artful_Dodger
MrsP
greybeard
Cari
Thomond
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Don Alfonso
The Great Aukster
WillyGilly
XR
Hound_of_Harrow
cardiffstu
rodders
marty2086
clivemcl
wales606
Shifty
Standulstermen
Kingshu
poissonrouge
red_stag
Rava
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 4 Empty Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

Post by Rava Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

First topic message reminder :

This Friday Ulster face their first really big test this season with the visit of the Blues who have two BP wins to their credit. Ulster will be hoping for a big performance from their forwards with a lot fewer mistakes than against Aironi. Payne will make his debut and IMO should be in the starting 15. These are the games Ulster need to win to ensure they are in pole position when the WC players return.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

Post by MrsP Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

Cave seemed fine after the game.

Humph did not.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

Post by Standulstermen Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:46 pm

Im feeling immensely positive after the game. Havent heard about injured etc but Payne was excellent. Tuohy was awesome again. Cave was something else. We should have had a bonus but i will settle for a complete domination which is exactly what i witnessed

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

He Dives, he Slides, he Scores - Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQMSm9jFHs&feature=channel_video_title
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:47 pm

Watching the game on the box, after having been at Ravers.

Some thoughts:
How good was Whitten? Ulster's "forgotten centre" excels on the wing?
Henry - dangerously close to being a "proper" seven? But then, was brilliant when he moved to eight.
Czekaij (sp?) by far the best Blues player. Very impressive.
Paddy Jackson still looks about eight. But can play.
Jared Payne - DHumph continues to weave his magic.
From being there - people filing out before end. Poor.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm

Don, Whitten has been a revelation on the wing. Payne just oozed class and looks a special player.

It looks like this season could be better than last and perhaps HEC QF qualification might not be mission impossible after all. It's early days though.

IHumphs form has not been great though, even ignoring his injury and Marshall has been his typical erratic self so far. Half back could be our achilles heel this year unless Humph finds his mojo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:51 pm

A real worry for us is a lack of gametime for Pienaar, Muller, Trimble, Afoa though. I suspect Pienaar will see some gametime next week as will Trimble but not sure on Mullers injury status or that Afoa is near the All Blacks squad.

Humph will get better when Pienaar is giving him the service (without wishing to disrespect Paul Marshall). Payne looks like he could be the missing link in attack but i wont write D'arcy off yet. Not sure on Cave for this week? Any doubts about his hamstring then rest him. Would like to see him in the team though. Looks an old head on young shoulders.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 19 Sep 2011, 12:14 am

Standulstermen wrote:A real worry for us is a lack of gametime for Pienaar, Muller, Trimble, Afoa though. I suspect Pienaar will see some gametime next week as will Trimble but not sure on Mullers injury status or that Afoa is near the All Blacks squad.

I would add Paddy Wallace to that list especially. He is getting no game time for Ireland.

Ulster really look to have strength in depth this year when the players return from the world cup though, which is fantastic. Players are having to compete in every position it seems, and players like Wallace, Court and Danielli may struggle to secure their positions.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 19 Sep 2011, 12:19 am

I would have been worried about paddy but between Spence and Cave will he get his shirt back????? Wink

I actually forgot about Paddy though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 19 Sep 2011, 12:30 am

I'd like him to get his shirt back if I'm honest. I would prefer seeing Spence and Cave fight it out for the 13 shirt, as I much prefer Spence as a 13 and we have Marshall to keep Wallace worrying about the 12 shirt. I still think Marshall and Spence look to be the most exciting centre partnership in the future for Ulster/Ireland.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:26 am

Standulstermen wrote:
Humph will get better when Pienaar is giving him the service (without wishing to disrespect Paul Marshall).

You should disrespect Paul Marshall! Well, not disrespect, but be a little critical. Two things aren't good enough, his passing and box kicking.

I can't fault his passion, commitment and energy- he really does give everything for the cause and his attitude is admirable- but I really do feel it's time to give Ian Porter a run in the side.

I agree with Rory, but I do see Spence and Cave keeping their place for the time being. It's up to Paddy to force his way back. He should always be in our 23- experienced head in a young team in invaluable plus he's our best backup to Humphreys. But if he wants to be more than a bench player he's going to have to work very hard and take his chances coming off the bench!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:34 am

Be surprised if Wallace doesn't start against the Russians. I'd anticipate a backline of Murray Sexton Wallace McFadden Trimble Earls Murphy.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:28 am

When the internations return and we're not short of wingers, do you think we'll still see Whitten turn up on the wing.

It must increase his chances of staying in Ulster next year if he can cover wing and centre, need to keep squad players like this happy with enough gametime to keep them if we are to push on over the next couple of years.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:44 pm

I think he will still be useful. To my mind if his form holds he offers as much as Danielli. I would start with Trimble and Gilroy currently though.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I think he will still be useful. To my mind if his form holds he offers as much as Danielli. I would start with Trimble and Gilroy currently though.

I agree 100%. There were some people around me on Friday night who couldn't believe how strong Gilroy is. I suspect of the young crop of players coming through he will be the one to get a cap first.
Whitten has been impressive in the games he has played and I think his experience has been invaluable as well but I don't see him as a long term wing option.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Rava wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:I think he will still be useful. To my mind if his form holds he offers as much as Danielli. I would start with Trimble and Gilroy currently though.

I agree 100%. There were some people around me on Friday night who couldn't believe how strong Gilroy is. I suspect of the young crop of players coming through he will be the one to get a cap first.
Whitten has been impressive in the games he has played and I think his experience has been invaluable as well but I don't see him as a long term wing option.

Gilroy looks like hes stepped up a level he seems faster and stronger this season which is great to see and hopefully guys like him and Spence get a chance in the Ireland team soon. Was disappointed he never got going earlier this year in the Junior World Championship thought he was a player who could have made an impact

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4