The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

+25
mckay1402
Ozzy3213
Artful_Dodger
MrsP
greybeard
Cari
Thomond
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Don Alfonso
The Great Aukster
WillyGilly
XR
Hound_of_Harrow
cardiffstu
rodders
marty2086
clivemcl
wales606
Shifty
Standulstermen
Kingshu
poissonrouge
red_stag
Rava
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 2 Empty Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

Post by Rava Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

First topic message reminder :

This Friday Ulster face their first really big test this season with the visit of the Blues who have two BP wins to their credit. Ulster will be hoping for a big performance from their forwards with a lot fewer mistakes than against Aironi. Payne will make his debut and IMO should be in the starting 15. These are the games Ulster need to win to ensure they are in pole position when the WC players return.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Wallace was awarded MOTM in his return game from the 6N - not the normal definition for being out of sorts?

Regarding Tuohy and Stevenson - they are very different types of player. Tuohy is a converted backrow and so has more dynamism, but Exeter needed Stevenson as the better lineout option since their other lock was Tom Hayes who at 6'4" isn't strong there (as captain he wasn't getting dropped).

Stevenson is really Muller lite, so once Johann's back he could struggle for starts. I see Tuohy seeing some gametime at six this year though, so Lewis could still be getting plenty of chances. I wouldn't rule out McComb either who put in some impressive cameos towards the end of the season. At 6'8" he is a genuine lock and at times showed real punch in his running.

As I see it, Henry has to make it as a 7 otherwise he will always struggle to make the team. He is frustratingly similar to a number of players who are just below the threshold of top class. Just too small to be a top class blindside (not dissimilar to Leamy in that regard) and at 8 he reminds me of Roger Wilson - solid but unspectacular. Playing openside he is very similar to Jennings in his skillset but annoyingly has the same lack of acceleration. He is Mr Universal backrow, has a great attitude, leadership ability, and most of all usually plays with his head up. In short the sort of guy who you just don't want to leave out, but often struggle to justify with guys like Faloon around.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday

Post by rodders Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Wallace was awarded MOTM in his return game from the 6N - not the normal definition for being out of sorts?

Well lets face it Aukster the BBCNI motm awards aren't always the most accurate indicator of performance....I certainly remember Wallace took a while to fond his form after the international break.

I agree on Henry. I think he's too small for 6 or 8 but too slow for 7. It's a pity because I think he'd be a really good no 8 if he was 2 inches taller and a stone heavier. Faloon is a better openside for me and an on form Diack is better at 6 or 8. Henry has been in good form though and deserves his run in the side but I think long term there are better players in each back row position.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm

I feel sorry for Henry a good player and a leader, but just a little behind the players in 6 7 and 8.

However I do see him being a reat squad player, will be well suited to bench as can come on for anywhere in back row, and with the importance of squad rotation will still get plenty of games. Howeer will he remain happy being mostly on the bench for the big games I don't know.

I have to say next season we could end up losing a hooker, Whitten and Henry to Connacht as the players may want more game time and see Connacht as giving them that, plus they are no longer a woodenspoon team and could win things with them (Almin cup?)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by cardiffstu Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

wales606 wrote:
Actually, I did sort of know Patchell, hes the academy U18 Fly Half (we dont actually have any promising FHs though), Gareth Davies is injured and Parks is with Scotland. If Sweeney gets injured then its BPW for Ulster.

Which is why I hadnt heard of him, since he has never played for us before, he will probably get crushed if he comes off the bench.

Patchell had a decent game for Cardiff RFC last weekend, appears to be a good goal-kicker as well which Sweeney isn't and doesn't mind having a run which Parks never does!

Fish is back playing with Cardiff RFC, I guess to get some game time as Czekaj still ahead of him at 15. Not sure that Hewitt is out of favour, just that Gavin Evans never was in favour before and may be getting a chance now, rotate Hewitt and Evans next to Casey now he's fit.

Hope we can keep it close for 60 but bench does not fill me with optimism!

I believe the backup backup prop was at Newport last year and is a consequence of the World Cup, injuries and a squad that had no additions in the off season.

cardiffstu

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

cardiffstu wrote:
wales606 wrote:
Actually, I did sort of know Patchell, hes the academy U18 Fly Half (we dont actually have any promising FHs though), Gareth Davies is injured and Parks is with Scotland. If Sweeney gets injured then its BPW for Ulster.

Which is why I hadnt heard of him, since he has never played for us before, he will probably get crushed if he comes off the bench.

Patchell had a decent game for Cardiff RFC last weekend, appears to be a good goal-kicker as well which Sweeney isn't and doesn't mind having a run which Parks never does!

Fish is back playing with Cardiff RFC, I guess to get some game time as Czekaj still ahead of him at 15. Not sure that Hewitt is out of favour, just that Gavin Evans never was in favour before and may be getting a chance now, rotate Hewitt and Evans next to Casey now he's fit.

Hope we can keep it close for 60 but bench does not fill me with optimism!

I believe the backup backup prop was at Newport last year and is a consequence of the World Cup, injuries and a squad that had no additions in the off season.

We did have additions in the off season, Hartford and Trevett went into the full Blues squad...we still dont have enough props though 🤦
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

Some really insightful points made about Henry - great leadership, excellent workrate and fantastic attitude. (I thought when consigned to openside last season, he improved and improved. Still not a real seven, but given his role, kept working at it.) Just is second nest in every position.

Can't wait to see Payne. I know people are frustrated at not seeing (L.) Marshall play, but there's plenty of time. An injury to Spence or Cave before the end of November, and he'll be starting, basically.

With all the exciting new talent and top class imports, we haven't really been chatting about iHumph. To me, he is key to any idea of a try bonus point. He wasn't great against Glasgow or (it seemed) Aironi. When he turns it on, that's when we sparkle. When he gets a bit more game time, we should see performances pick up.

I can see the Blues nicking this. The experience of Rush, Molitika, Tito. Williams, Laulala will be invaluable. The Blues will shine at theis stage of the season.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

Going back a bit post wise: I think Marshall is an unbelievable talent, definitely the young player in Ireland I am most excited about. I really want him to start breaking into the squad soon because I think the more he plays the better he will become.

Also Tuohy is an animal, really want him to kick on this season.
Anyone know his age off the top of their head?
I think he will be vital to ireland in the next 2 years or so. Can see him getting in ahead of MOD and Cullen in the 6n squad. He and ryan I feel are going to be the lads on the bench, most likely Ryan to start with but Tuohy should get games too.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:25 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Also Tuohy is an animal, really want him to kick on this season.
Anyone know his age off the top of their head?

25 I think Pete. He's made a great start to this season.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:30 pm

I really do think Ireland are going to depend on him in about 2 years time for possibly another 3-5.

Him and Ryan would be a tasty partnership with someone like Nagle or Ruddock (hopefully gets converted) as cover.

I am a Leinsterman and I am really excited by what is going on up in Ulster. Easily my second favourite team and wish you guys all the best for the season hope to see you in the top 4.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Cheers Pete OK

I have to say I rate Touhy much higher than Donnacha Ryan. Touhy is just so much more dynamic and powerful. He is injury prone though. Ryan is a good player but if Touhy could stay fit he'd be a great partner for O'Connell.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

red_stag wrote:I'm interested to hear how Stevenson does. Could he be a dark horse to get places for Ulster and Ireland when its Tuohy who is talked up?

Yes. A good player, Stevenson.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 15 Sep 2011, 6:32 pm

Muller, Tuohy, Stevenson, Barker and McComb. And a couple of seasons ago it was all Ed O'Donohue, Caldwell and a perma-injured McCullough. An impressive success, if you ask me. Back-rows next, please.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 15 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

We cant be too critical of Ulster not bringing through Marshall and it is a 24 and 21 year old keeping him out of the team. My own point of view regarding young talent is throw them in early enough and with the right amount of experience around them they either show what they can do or sink (in that sense perhaps the absence of our senior players explains the lack of Gaston and Marshall). Spence flourished last year but he has senior guys around and i recall after his tries Muller is always over among the first to congratulate him.

Its a good Ulster team.Cant wait for tomorrow

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 15 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

Notch buddy how's Barca?

WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 15 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

Barca was immense but I flew out this morning man. Back to Ravenhill tomorrow!

It's cold here and the girls wear more clothes, miss it a bit back there actually!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 15 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

Notch welcome back buddy. See you 2 morro night maybe
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 15 Sep 2011, 7:49 pm

Yeah Rav, if you're on the prom tomorrow and want to watch the game with us drop me a text!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:20 pm

Notch wrote:
It's cold here and the girls wear more clothes, miss it a bit back there actually!

For a mix of both go to Saudi Arabia,incredibly warm and the girls are extremely well clothed!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:30 pm

That's kind of the worst of both worlds for a pasty ginger like me!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

Come on ULSTER!!!!!!!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

Come on BLUES!!!!!!!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

Come on ULLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

Standulstermen wrote:Come on ULLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show off...Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Jeebus I'd love to be going to this! Feckin Belfast mafia freezing out the few full-time employed Ulster supporters in the wild west steam .

(Got my tickets sorted for Clermont though Yahoo )

I hope Payne gets a big Ravenhill welcome guinness

SUFTUM!!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 16 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

It's BBC NIs fault rodders. They could show games from 8 to 10, but no...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 16 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

wales606 wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Come on ULLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show off...Wink

Its about commitment

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Ulster's First Big Test v Cardiff Blues on Friday - Page 2 Empty Blues v Ulster Match Thread

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

Suprised at the lack of thread on the game. The weather looks truly atrocious, can see this being a bit of a barnstormer in terms of handling errors and loose play, with Ulster using their kicking ability to good effect as well.

Here are the teams:

Ulster: J Payne; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; I Humphreys, P Marshall; D Fitzpatrick, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, C Henry, R Diack.

Replacements: N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, N McComb, M McComish, I Porter, P Jackson, A D'Arcy

Cardiff Blues:
Chris Czekaj; Alex Cuthbert, Casey Laulala, Gavin Evans, Tom James; Ceri Sweeney, Lewis Jones; Sam Hobbs, T Rhys Thomas, Scott Andrews, Michael Paterson, Paul Tito (capt), Maama Molitika, Martyn Williams, Xavier Rush.

Replacements: Rhys Williams, Nathan Trevett, James Monck, James Down, Thomas Young, Richie Rees, Rhys Patchell, Dafydd Hewitt.

Ulster kick off...and we're under way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

blimey the rain! shocker of a night there.

A minutes silence about to be observed for the four miners who've lost their lives at the Gleision Colliery today. Observed beauitifully clap

And now all I can say is - ymlaen Gleision!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

going to merge this with the already existing Ulster v Blues thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

Glad to see the silence observed so respectfully.

Terrible weather there too!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:10 pm

Eh looks like nice weather for Ravenhill!

Come on Ulster!!!! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

The locals are dleighted with the weather,nicest day of the year so far for them.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

Ulster starting strongly, there's a spring in their step.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:13 pm

where is Gareth Charles?! I miss his commentary Sad Bet he's out in Treviso....

Rain has stopped at least.

And that was a good first lineout for the Blues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:14 pm

Dreamer - the Treviso match isn't being televised so he'll be wasted down there!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

James Jones looks like he's got very badly applied fake tan to his face... Rolling Eyes

Anyway who is this buerk commentating?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

Go on Spence lad!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:17 pm

Forward pass! raspberry

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:17 pm

Jared Payne is the man!!!!!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:18 pm

Payne showing his class already, lovely play. Blues need to get out of their own half, badly.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

What's the point in a crisp lineout take if you're just going to pop it to someone who isn't there? Blues need to up their precision.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

Is Radio Wales doing live commentary for Welsh rugby matches? If so maybe that's where Gareth Charles is.....

Ulster looking very threatening at the moment, and Blues have got to watch their discipline.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Great kick from the Humph!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Superb kick. Get that man an Ireland shirt!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:23 pm

Holy smokes am I the only Ulster fan here?! I better keep my voice down....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

Don't worry there aren't any Blues fans in here really, just a couple of O's and Scarlets fans helping out Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

Dreamer - no, according to the BBC there's only live updates on the website for the Ospreys game. That means you'll find out the score when the players are in the showers afterwards Rolling Eyes

Humpy not having a good night.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

Doh Humph!!!

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:26 pm

Good man Spence!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:26 pm

How did HUmph miss that kick? he should be getting those.

Cari - no I meant Radio Wales out in NZ (sorry I wasn't clear!). Bet Charlo would love a trip out there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next