The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps

+4
Rowley
Steffan
Michaels, Sean
Union Cane
8 posters

Go down

Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps Empty Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:42 pm

Police officers were called when the latest meeting between Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew to promote their WBO world-title bout ended in chaos.

Cleverly's father and trainer, Vince, was involved in a row with Bellew's camp as they left the room following a media conference in a Cardiff hotel.

Order resumed when police officers spoke to both parties.

"I was a bit taken aback by what was happening and tried to keep focused on my interview," said champion Cleverly.

"I didn't see what happened to make my dad go off like that, but he's a passionate person and he probably got a bit over excited."

Bellew, the Commonwealth and British title holder, added: "My team were behaving themselves, it seems to me that Cleverly's dad was trying to rattle us ahead of the fight."

WBO light-heavyweight champion Cleverly and Bellew came close to blows in May after trading insults in front of the media before their aborted fight.

The pair were involved in another fiery meeting in Liverpool last week as the bad feeling grows ahead of the 15 October bout in Liverpool's Echo Arena.

Monday's meeting in Cardiff was the last between the two unbeaten light-heavyweight fighters before the week of the fight.

"It's inevitable there are going to be fireworks in a press conference with Tony Bellew and myself," said 24-year-old Cleverly before the altercation involving his father.

"We're both fired-up characters, both unbeaten and both want to win."

Bellew missed an opportunity to face Cleverly in May when he failed to make the weight after being called in as a late replacement for former champion Juergen Braehmer.

The 28-year-old from Liverpool said he respected Cleverly's punching ability but questioned his defence.

"His footwork is poor," he said. "He thinks I'm limited, he thinks I'm chinny.

"We'll see. But I think we both know for an absolutely fact that I'm the best fighter he's fought."

Cleverly, though, has questioned the calibre of Bellew's 16-fight record and claimed he does not "deserve" a shot at the world title.

"I had to go through a world-title eliminator and European title and I had to fight for the interim world title," said Cleverly, who as won all his 22 bouts as a professional.

"It's been a long route for me - the hard route. But the fight is happening, I've given him a shot and I'm going to give him his first defeat.

"He's talked himself into trouble and that's what I'm going to show."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14889437.stm
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps Empty Re: Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

I bet Vince got back to his car to find it propprd up with bricks and the wheels gone.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps Empty Re: Police called to separate Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew camps

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Car stereo was missing as well apparently along with his copy of 'Ferry Cross the Mersey'

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Steffan wrote:Car stereo was missing as well apparently along with his copy of 'Ferry Cross the Mersey'

Fortunately they left his girlfriend flossy the sheep on the backseat.

And before you get all excited Steffan this me trying to illustrate the point that as someone who gets so wound up when people make jokes based on lazy cultural stereotypes you would perhaps be better placed to practice what you preach

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

rowley wrote:
Steffan wrote:Car stereo was missing as well apparently along with his copy of 'Ferry Cross the Mersey'

And before you get all excited Steffan this me trying to illustrate the point that as someone who gets so wound up when people make jokes based on lazy cultural stereotypes you would perhaps be better placed to practice what you preach

If you cant beat them then join them hey Wink

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Funnily enough Steffan never figured you for a rise above it and take the moral high ground sort of guy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

Is this authentic 'needle' or is it just the phoney stuff that ends up with everyone being best buddies after the fight?

I'd like to see something along the lines of Holmes / Berbick in the build up, then maybe some James Butler-esque shenanigans after the fight, that would be entertaining.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

rowley wrote:Funnily enough Steffan never figured you for a rise above it and take the moral high ground sort of guy.

Iv been to Liverpool a couple of times. Friendly place with good people. Got a mate down here whos a scouser who settled in Wales. Cant say iv ever met a dislikable scouser to be honest. Well...apart from a certain internet hardman who frequents this messageboard...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

rowley wrote:

That's a bit harsh Rowley. Did someone sit on your flat cap?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
rowley wrote:

Spent a morning reading through D4 nonsense, enough to get Mother Theresa swearing like a docker mate

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

These norberts should be charged with wasting police time.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

rowley wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:
rowley wrote:

Spent a morning reading through D4 nonsense, enough to get Mother Theresa swearing like a docker mate

Why don't you all club together and do the 'ignore' thing with him? I did it with Windy when he kept wumming my posts. Worked a treat.

Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
rowley wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:
rowley wrote:

Why don't you all club together and do the 'ignore' thing with him? I did it with Windy when he kept wumming my posts. Worked a treat.

In your case we don't need a button, Michaels.

We always ignored you anyway.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
rowley wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:
rowley wrote:

Can't ignore people in your friends list.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Steffan wrote:
rowley wrote:Funnily enough Steffan never figured you for a rise above it and take the moral high ground sort of guy.

Iv been to Liverpool a couple of times. Friendly place with good people. Got a mate down here whos a scouser who settled in Wales. Cant say iv ever met a dislikable scouser to be honest. Well...apart from a certain internet hardman who frequents this messageboard...

Hope you dont mean me steffan Hug

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Hope you dont mean me steffan Hug

Im sure your a nice guy at heart Hug

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down