The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview

+3
oxring
Knowsit17
The Sweet Science UK
7 posters

Go down

Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview Empty Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sat 15 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

I've just done a preview for the fight on my blog site, be sure to check it out.

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/cleverly-bellew-whos-0-will-go/

The wait is finally over as bitter rivals Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew clash at Liverpool’s Echo Arena tonight for the WBO light-heavyweight title.

After months and months of back and forth trash talk, the two get the chance to settle their differences in the ring.

I’m not too sure why there is so much animosity between the pair, so much so that the police were called after Nathan’s father/trainer clashed with members of the Bellew team during a press conference, but the time for talking is now over.

Cleverly is the favourite with the bookies but Bellew shouldn’t be under-estimated by anybody.

Bellew packs a thunderous punch and Cleverly would be best served not to let Bellew test his chin too much.

This fight has the potential to go down alongside the other great all British wars. Eubank-Benn, Clazaghe-Woodhall and Cooper-Bugner.

Promoter Frank Warren has said that the winner of this will be looking at the winner of Dawson-Hopkins, with the preference being the living legend Bernard Hopkins as he would be the bigger draw.

For me, this is the wrong direction to take either of these fighters in. Both are good fighters, Cleverly with the potential to be a real good boxer but the likes of Hopkins and Dawson, when his head is right, are levels above these two fighters at the moment.

Sweet Science UK prediction

I expect this to be a good old fashion tear up, with both fighters doing their best to knock each other out. The animosity between the two is so fierce that it makes DeGale and Groves look like the best of friends.

Bellew has said he’ll look to box Cleverly, which would be a mistake for him. Cleverly is a better boxer. Bellew’s best bet is to drag this into the trenches and turn it into a real war. If he catches Cleverly clean; we’ll really see how good his chin is.

Cleverly should really look to box Bellew and not get drawn into a slug fest; which can happen with Cleverly as we’ve seen in the past. He has to stick to using his skills and not get drawn into Bellew’s kind of fight.

I’m expecting a cagey opening couple rounds as both boxers try to figure each other out before things eventually explode into action. I do think Cleverly will look to stand toe-to-toe with Bellew and try and blast him out of there, even though I think this is the wrong option for him.

But I expect Cleverly to retain his title via a late stoppage.

Please feel free to leave any comments on the blog site (its for a uni project, cheers)
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

How thunderous a punch does Bellew have? It hasn't been tested against anyone with an above-average chin.

Call me naive and easily influenced by the hype Clev and Bellew have generated but I'm looking forward to this. Not long to wait now either! While not being the most glamorous title fight, it's good that all involved have pushed on to secure it after the disappointment before the Kuziemski fight.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly - Tony Bellew preview

Post by oxring Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:How thunderous a punch does Bellew have? It hasn't been tested against anyone with an above-average chin.

Call me naive and easily influenced by the hype Clev and Bellew have generated but I'm looking forward to this. Not long to wait now either! While not being the most glamorous title fight, it's good that all involved have pushed on to secure it after the disappointment before the Kuziemski fight.

Its not been a good day today for Welsh sport. If this one goes to pot as well - I may give up. When i say give up, read give up being a fan of anything.

Spoiler:
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:How thunderous a punch does Bellew have? It hasn't been tested against anyone with an above-average chin.

Because of his KO record. You can debate about the opponents but he can only KO those put in front of him. There is no doubt that Bellew possess real punching power and could trouble Cleverly if he lands.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

What time does it start peeps?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

emancipator wrote:What time does it start peeps?

7pm the show starts mate.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:25 pm

oxring wrote:

Its not been a good day today for Welsh sport. If this one goes to pot as well - I may give up. When i say give up, read give up being a fan of anything.

Spoiler:

Hopefully this will be a good tonic, granted not nearly enough to make amends for the rugby but I'll take some cheer from Clev winning and winning well nonetheless.

As a fan of anything you risk the gloom of a bad day but it's all worth it for when things start to click. Believe.....2015 zen

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

Very unlucky today, knowsit. I feel that you'll get the result for which you wish tonight, however. With a bit more work than some might feel will be necessary, mind. Cleverly to solve Bellew and pull away from about mid-distance. UD, I think.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

oxring wrote:

Spoiler:

agree sadly today apart from a draw with manu all my teams have come up short swans didnt do enough and wales were robbed by the half french half irish ref( some 1 please explaine why he was in charge ) just hope this isnt an omen for cleverly

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:55 pm

The Sweet Science UK wrote:
emancipator wrote:What time does it start peeps?

7pm the show starts mate.

I wasn't asking you, and I'm not your mate.

Just kidding, gottcha

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

Fight # - 18:30 hrs
6 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Featherweight Contest
CRAIG EVANS V IBRAR RIYAZ

Fight # 2 - 18:55 hrs
6 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Middleweight Contest
TOBIAS WEBB V JAHMAINE SMYLE

Fight # 3 – 19:20 hrs
6 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Flyweight Contest
PAUL BUTLER V DAVID KANALAS

Fight # 4 – 19:45 hrs
8 X 3 Minute Rounds Middleweight Contest
BILLY JOE SAUNDERS V NORBERT SEKERES

Fight # 5 – 20:00 hrs
6 X 3 Minute Rounds Light-Middleweight Contest
LIAM SMITH V GERARD HEALY

Fight # 6 – 20:25 hrs
8 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Middleweight Contest
ROCKY FIELDING V TOMMY TOLAN

Fight # 7 – 21:15 hrs
THE EUROPEAN SUPER-MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
8 X 3 Minute Rounds @ 168lbs
JAMES DeGALE V PIOTR WILCZEWSKI

Fight # 8 - Floater
12 X 3 Minute Rounds Welterweight Contest
RONNIE HEFFRON V TONY PACE

Fight # 9 – Follow on - Main Event
THE WBO LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD
12 X 3 Minute Rounds @ 175lbs
NATHAN CLEVERLY V TONY BELLEW

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

http://www.boxnation.performgroup.com/page/LiveStream/0,,14401,00.html

Shocking stream quality.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

Butler has a nice left hook.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Horizontal Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

Evening all - 1st post on the new 606 -

Is this on channel 456? I get "no satellite signal is being received" msg on the tv. I thought I read it wass a free to view channel for a bit? Is it encrypted now?

Horizontal

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

He was sliding all over the place, looked like he was wearing ice skates.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:34 pm

My bad

Last edited by The Sweet Science UK on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

Horizontal wrote:Evening all - 1st post on the new 606 -

Is this on channel 456? I get "no satellite signal is being received" msg on the tv. I thought I read it wass a free to view channel for a bit? Is it encrypted now?

It's a CIA led conspiracy. You're finished. laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

Delete that Sweet Science, it isn't allowed. I posted a legal link earlier.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:36 pm

The Sweet Science UK wrote:Here's a good streaming link:

http://www.justin.tv/boxgurutv#/w/1913584000

Quick Adam,

Ban him.

I've preserved the evidence.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

emancipator wrote:
The Sweet Science UK wrote:Here's a good streaming link:

http://www.justin.tv/boxgurutv#/w/1913584000

Quick Adam,

Ban him.

I've preserved the evidence.

LOL boyscout
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down