The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus

+7
dummy_half
bogbrush
Atila
eraldeen
mthierry
barrystar
hawkeye
11 posters

Go down

The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus Empty The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Oct 2011, 15:56

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg619/scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=plmtq.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus Empty Re: The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus

Post by barrystar Thu 06 Oct 2011, 16:11

It's a splendid photo - my little nipper wasn't holding a pencil at 2 years old, at least not for writing.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus Empty Re: The Real Cause Of Rogers Lack Of Focus

Post by mthierry Thu 06 Oct 2011, 16:16

Cool photo. But who says he lacks focus?

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Oct 2011, 16:55

mthierry wrote:Cool photo. But who says he lacks focus?

There must be some cause for him playing brilliantly, putting on a great show, getting into a winning position and then somehow drifting off to a loss. Maybe he just doesn't have so much of the killer instinct anymore. Maturity brings perspective. It just won't hurt as much.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Thu 06 Oct 2011, 17:21

hawkeye wrote:

There must be some cause for him playing brilliantly, putting on a great show, getting into a winning position and then somehow drifting off to a loss. Maybe he just doesn't have so much of the killer instinct anymore. Maturity brings perspective. It just won't hurt as much.

He certainly didn't take his US Open loss very well and really hurt. That said, though Federer is technically as good as he's ever been, he's suffering this costly dips and lapses in matches.

He's done it all though so there's nothing left to prove.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Oct 2011, 18:04

Maybe there's a bit of that as well.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Thu 06 Oct 2011, 18:17

He is 30 and a father.

Players that are fathers have only won 1 slam each of them since 1990.

Andres Gomez French Open 1990
Boris Becker Australian Open 1996
Petr Korda Australian Open 1998
Yevgeny Kafelnikov Australian Open 1999
Albert Costa French Open 2002
Andre Agassi Australian Open 2003
Roger Federer Australian Open 2010

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 07 Oct 2011, 01:23

I don't think he's lost focus. I think he's got another GS in him.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:25

eraldeen wrote:He is 30 and a father.

Players that are fathers have only won 1 slam each of them since 1990.

Andres Gomez French Open 1990
Boris Becker Australian Open 1996
Petr Korda Australian Open 1998
Yevgeny Kafelnikov Australian Open 1999
Albert Costa French Open 2002
Andre Agassi Australian Open 2003
Roger Federer Australian Open 2010

Nobody can be sure when and how many Slams Boris won as a father. Not even him.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:01

bogbrush wrote:

Nobody can be sure when and how many Slams Boris won as a father. Not even him.
laughing

Good thing I wasn't mid mouthful of coffee, otherwise I'd need a new laptop...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:43

mthierry wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

He certainly didn't take his US Open loss very well and really hurt. That said, though Federer is technically as good as he's ever been, he's suffering this costly dips and lapses in matches.

He's done it all though so there's nothing left to prove.

I definitely think there is an element of that to it. Sure, Federer would love to win another slam or two, but he was chasing and collecting them with a maniacal zeal when he was chasing history and dominating in an unprecedented fashion. That desire has surely abated somewhat. Mental wear-and-tear must play a part too.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:26

I don;t see any mental wear and tear from Federer in slams. He seems more focused than ever. However running around all year round in smaller tournaments is certainly not his highest priority anymore...understandably. I think if he gets close to being number one again...through luck or else, his motivation to beat the number 1 longevity record will givehim the motivation to play the smaller tournaments.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:27

The Real Cause of Rogers Lack Of Focus:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHxgsbkHVtTRPX1q11dlZvweukfZwgua79WTLaa7TYtjmezWXvGw
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:32

Tenez wrote:I don;t see any mental wear and tear from Federer in slams. He seems more focused than ever. However running around all year round in smaller tournaments is certainly not his highest priority anymore...understandably. I think if he gets close to being number one again...through luck or else, his motivation to beat the number 1 longevity record will givehim the motivation to play the smaller tournaments.

As focused, maybe. He can't be more focused than 2004-2007, he was the epitome of focus then, both at and away from slams.

I don't think he'll get close to #1 again, which is a shame as he deserves that record. Amazing that he fell one week short!

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by HarpoMars Fri 07 Oct 2011, 17:34

Positively 4th Street wrote:
Tenez wrote:I don;t see any mental wear and tear from Federer in slams. He seems more focused than ever. However running around all year round in smaller tournaments is certainly not his highest priority anymore...understandably. I think if he gets close to being number one again...through luck or else, his motivation to beat the number 1 longevity record will givehim the motivation to play the smaller tournaments.

As focused, maybe. He can't be more focused than 2004-2007, he was the epitome of focus then, both at and away from slams.

I don't think he'll get close to #1 again, which is a shame as he deserves that record. Amazing that he fell one week short!

Unfortunately, I think you're right Sad though we never know!
Lovely pic, but Roger seems to be left handed in this shot...interesting...

HarpoMars

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down