The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads

+12
Irish Curry
glamorganalun
TycroesOsprey
Cymroglan
Gatts
doctor_grey
debaters1
mckay1402
Knowsit17
Taffineastbourne
Feckless Rogue
ME-109
16 posters

Go down

Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads Empty Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads

Post by ME-109 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

Many Welsh supporters going on about how flaky ROG is if put under pressure (one success-2005- in about 10 or so outings is a poor enough return to that myth). However there is some truth in it but it is a relatively rare occurrence when it happens.

On the other hand up to recently at least Priestland was notoriously flaky and prone to his game going to pieces when put under pressure. Plus he gets an even redder head than ROG.

So who will fall apart under the pressure next saturday? Who is going to need the most protection from the big men? Who would you trust on 79 minutes being behind by 2 points with a drop goal attempt needed to win?

Who on the other hand will be flaming like a 100+watt stop light.

Do it for your little buddy Stringer ROG he is counting on you...if we dont win the QF they are going to take his hamster from him... kiss

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads Empty Re: Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:57 pm

A friend of mine insists he can predict how well ROG is gonna play by looking at how red his face is during the anthems. With a scale going from 'very red indeed', meaning he'll have a poor game, all the way down to 'not very red at all' meaning he's going to have a great game.

I'm not sure if this is also true for Priestland. If someone can confirm that for me then I'll just compare the redness of their faces during the anthems and then run down to the bookies and lamp all me money on the team with the least red faced flyhalf. Easy money.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads Empty Re: Priestland v ROG battle of the red heads

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

One 10 can tackle and the other one is a bit of a girlie.Both kick pretty well.The acid test is would I swap yours for mine?No chance.Priestland will do us nicely.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

Never seen it in the anthems...for ROG if its not going to plan its usually at the end of the first half (between 30-40 mins)...you can always tell when he is coming off the pitch...

Priestland seems to do it far more regularly at least as far as I can recollect and often looks like he about to start crying....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

Priestland's face looks A LOT like ROG's face. Both are red-heads. Their kicking strategies look increasingly similar and now the Irish are singling out Priestland for his poor defence- Is this the most ironic role reversal ever?

With the man himself hanging them up soon, are Wales getting the next ROG model? For the next decade are we condemned to having the Irish gleefully returning the favour and slating Priestland as a bowling pin while we fire back by ranting about his collection of winner's medals (which he is due to gain in future)?

What is this world coming to? Shocked

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

DOD wrote:Never seen it in the anthems...for ROG if its not going to plan its usually at the end of the first half (between 30-40 mins)...you can always tell when he is coming off the pitch...

Priestland seems to do it far more regularly at least as far as I can recollect and often looks like he about to start crying....

Of course he looks like he's going to cry. He's 8, bless him
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:36 pm

ROG is a shoite tackler, but he never bottles a tackle. Ever. He has been run over by runnaway freight trains in the likes of Ferris & Heaslip, but he still puts himself in that position. From memory, for a guy playing 10 that has been targeted like he has for no less than 12 seasons of rugby, he has gone off injured once. Against Wasps in Lansdowne in 2004, while carrying an injury into the game. He might lose a 'test of man-hood' but not a test of soldiery.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

One question:
Its the 78 minute mark, you are behind by 2, and have a penalty about 45 yards out. Which out half do you want kicking?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:44 pm

Jonny W

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

touche, mate. Well done.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

Priestland did not miss one against Fiji he thinks the match ball is absolutely fine.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

From a welsh perspective to be honest the thought of RP taking pressure kicks makes me clench. To be honest the thought of hook taking them makes me clench. I would want Jones there for that. Or ROG.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

How about Halfpint? Or is he just for the howitzers?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:04 pm

Priestland has been known to have his flaky days for the scarlets in his youth, he would really beat himself up if he made a mistake and start to panic.

Thankfully for Wales thats the Priestland of a couple of years ago, last season he held it together didnt panic and fouught off Biggar, Wellies and Hook to deserve his place.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:10 pm

I hope Wales are out of sight with 2mins to go as Preistland's drop attempts (all 3) have been rubbish and not even close.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

Going into this WC as a Scarlets fan, I was very nervous about Priestland in pressure matches. Only last season for the Scarlets did he really get a grip of his nerves/confidence. His performance against SA (drop goal aside) helped me put aside my fears. He looks at home at international level.

And he's not a red head btw. Admittedly he gets a very red face, but red head? deffo not.

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm

Red head refers to the face in this instance....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

well that's okay then DOD. and I don't think the pressure with kicking will effect Rhys too much (or I really hope not!) We've got 1/2p or Hook if he comes on to take the longer range kicks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:46 pm

I would definitly want ROG there taking the kick or drop goal. The only one I would trust to kick it.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:A friend of mine insists he can predict how well ROG is gonna play by looking at how red his face is during the anthems. With a scale going from 'very red indeed', meaning he'll have a poor game, all the way down to 'not very red at all' meaning he's going to have a great game.

Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I hope Wales are out of sight with 2mins to go as Preistland's drop attempts (all 3) have been rubbish and not even close.

Geth will do that job

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:56 pm

I think there very well matched with Preistland edging pace and running and ROG having the experince and much better out of hand kicking.

Is it just me of has RP's out of hand kicking been a waste of time?
I expect him to be overtaken by the next world cup but he's getting his backline moving. I Dout the game will be won or lost by either of the starting 10's.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:23 pm

youngguns6 wrote:I think there very well matched with Preistland edging pace and running and ROG having the experince and much better out of hand kicking.

Is it just me of has RP's out of hand kicking been a waste of time?
I expect him to be overtaken by the next world cup but he's getting his backline moving. I Doubt the game will be won or lost by either of the starting 10's.

Really? In a match that's almost certainly going to be very close you don't think it could be won or lost by the FH's? They might not win the penalties but they have to slot em over.

You might be inferring something by saying "starting" though. If you were, I'd agree with you. Hook and Sexton will have a big influence on this game. Will they come into the centre or FH role though? All four will have a major impact on the game one way or another....

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:27 am

Far from being irrelevant, the 10s are going to be crucial. OGara is the best tactical kicker in the NH and will be peppering our back three with garryowens and kicks to the corner. He's also a superb goal-kicker. His weakness is his tackling and lack of a break, which we will be trying to exploit. If ROG is on song and controls the game, we will be in trouble. If we can shake his confidence - eg by a charge-down - that will be a big plus.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:03 am

"You might be inferring something by saying "starting" though"

Yes I expect sexton and hook to both come on and play a big part I this one. Who ever is loosing will probably make the first change as hook and sexton are match winners.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down