The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France

+75
Goosestepper
lostinwales
Tenez
Breadvan
Hookisms and Hyperbole
John Cregan
BlueNote
welshy824
offload
Dave.
mpc28
Pot Hale
robbo277
Notch
Taffineastbourne
EnglishReign
faraway
Standulstermen
walesworldcup
wales606
dublin_dave
fa0019
BATH_BTGOG
Don Alfonso
valjester
R!skysports
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
trebellbobaggins
nathan
dubh_linn
Davie
LuvSports!
Thomond
Cowshot
Mad for Chelsea
RDW
21st Century Schizoid Man
Taylorman
rodders
eirebilly
PJHolybloke
manofgwent
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
wonder_man
Oxford Welsh
lauriehow
GunsGerms
gavstar
Knowsit17
Smirnoffpriest
TheGreyGhost
Rory_Gallagher
mckay1402
Ozzy3213
Astonal
ystradosprey
HERSH
Higher_Ground
Shifty
brennomac
The Gramlin
bedfordwelsh
JDandfries
RubyGuby
Luckless Pedestrian
whocares
deadfred
Portnoy
TycroesOsprey
Cymroglan
Gatts
Biltong
Adam D
maestegmafia
79 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Who will win Wales or France?

Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Vote_lcap62%Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 32 ]
Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Vote_lcap38%Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 20 ]

Total Votes : 52

Poll closed

Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Empty Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Well played France a deserved winner... great effort by Wales but silly mistakes cost us a better result...

Good luck to Australia and New Zealand tomorrow

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 10:56 am; edited 7 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Empty Re: Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France

Post by Guest Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

ah but JD, that wasn't the last time we played each other.

Back to top Go down

Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France  - Page 3 Empty Re: Post MATCH discussion THREAD - Wales vs France

Post by RubyGuby Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:47 pm

13 August 2011 17:07 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version By Gareth Roberts

Wales 19-9 England

BBC Sport Wales at the Millennium Stadium

Wales (6) 19Try: Hook Con: Hook Pens: Priestland 2, Hook 2
England (6) 9Pens: Flood 3

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:52 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:ah but JD, that wasn't the last time we played each other.

I never said it was?? Whistle

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:54 pm

That made me laugh JD nice one thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

Glad i brought a smile to your face! kiss

In honesty, I think Wales have been great and I love seeing the game played the way they do. Makes achange from the tepid rubbish Scotland serve up and the sheer boredom suffered watching England.

however, I have just a sneaking suspicion France would win the tournement from teh start (although I said against SA in teh final) and I will stand by it!

But here is looking forward to a good game, and the winner being the overall winner!! (please not Wales censored )

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

JDandfries wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:JD are you on the Orkneys or something of course I'm blxxdy sure. We let England have 90% posession to sharpen their try scoring skills but they seemed to struggle so we just put them to sleep after that.

We also mullered Argentina as well. thumbsup

You are really sure?

August 2011 - England 23 - 19 Wales? Or does that not count for some reason?

jd you are referring to the game we should have won on the 4th of August, the week before the last game against England. Argentina were the week after. Scores and dates below.

Wales28 v 13 Argentina 20th Aug 2011

Wales19 v 9England 13th Aug 2011

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:JD are you on the Orkneys or something of course I'm blxxdy sure. We let England have 90% posession to sharpen their try scoring skills but they seemed to struggle so we just put them to sleep after that.

We also mullered Argentina as well. thumbsup

You are really sure?

August 2011 - England 23 - 19 Wales? Or does that not count for some reason?

Wales28 v 13 Argentina 20th Aug 2011

Wales19 v 9England 13th Aug 2011

What is your point???

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

JD, I remember going to the barbers a week before the World Cup kicked off and wondering as I passed the bookies next door whether I should put a tenner on France winning the cup. I didn't necessarily think they would, but I knew I'd get decent odds and I knew I'd be really chuffed for them if they won. I didn't place that bet, but I'll still be over the moon if they win the World Cup, even though it'll mean they've beaten us on the way!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

and vice versa, how about England??? didnt they beat wales a few weeks ago??

Erm No Wales won the last match between these two teams FACT
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:24 pm

JDandfries wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:have you come up with a better reason than the press??

Yeah - How about Tonga Yahoo

and vice versa, how about England??? didnt they beat wales a few weeks ago?? kiss

I presume you are trying to bring england into this as some kind of form guide. France just played them we did too prior to the RWC...?

Yes they beat Wales a few months ago. We beat them since, then Argentina who they really struggled against.

Wales results and performances are there for all to see, look at the stats for every facet of play we are inthe top teams at this RWC. We have lost once in seven games and by only one point and to the thenworld champions.

What is promising is that our performances have improved game by game, so have our stats and has the players confidence.

You might start to notice that being reflected in the welsh fans...!

This is all wonderful for Wales, not just for welsh rugby but for the population. Everyone is happier, everyone is excited, no one expects us to win the RWC, the team have already exceeded our expectations. But everyone, rightly so, knows that it is not far off, it is possible.

On top ofthat I imagine many welsh rugby fans will be pleases to see results that are un-arguable for thosewho said "Wales can never win a worldcup", or "Wales will never get to a final"...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I imagine many welsh rugby fans will be pleases to see results that are un-arguable for thosewho said "Wales can never win a worldcup", or "Wales will never get to a final"...!

Well both those statements may yet be true.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
JDandfries wrote:

and vice versa, how about England??? didnt they beat wales a few weeks ago?? kiss

I presume you are trying to bring england into this as some kind of form guide. France just played them we did too prior to the RWC...?

Yes they beat Wales a few months ago. We beat them since, then Argentina who they really struggled against.

Wales results and performances are there for all to see, look at the stats for every facet of play we are inthe top teams at this RWC. We have lost once in seven games and by only one point and to the thenworld champions.

What is promising is that our performances have improved game by game, so have our stats and has the players confidence.

This is all wonderful for Wales, not just for welsh rugby but for the population. Everyone is happier, everyone is excited, no one expects us to win the RWC, the team have already exceeded our expectations. But everyone, rightly so, knows that it is not far off, it is possible.

On top ofthat I imagine many welsh rugby fans will be pleases to see results that are un-arguable for thosewho said "Wales can never win a worldcup", or "Wales will never get to a final"...!

Well I wouldnt normally have brought England into it, but someone gave a reason Wales would win as 'Tonga' which i thought was irrelevant, so I mentioned England!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gramlin Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:49 pm

Wales certainly can win this weekend. I'm just concerned that the Wales - France semi final will take so much out of players that they are goosed for the final. At least there is an extra days rest......

The Gramlin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

JDandfries wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
JDandfries wrote:

Well I wouldnt normally have brought England into it, but someone gave a reason Wales would win as 'Tonga' which i thought was irrelevant, so I mentioned England!
I understand why the previous poster mentioned Tonga, because France were expected to beat them, but didn't, in fact France were soundly beaten. It is an example of Frances weakness and likelihood to make unexplainable mistakes.

Where as you mentioning a result against England from early August seems to reinforce the opposite to what you seem to be attempting to convey. I see Wales narrow defeat at twickenham as more of a catalyst for what this team realised they could achieve rather than a point of negativity.

Likewise the loss to SA by one point in the opening match is more inspiring to the team than detrimental. That result combined with the hard fought win over Samoa along with those initial warm up game performances are very likely to be the reason Wales have progressed to the semis playing with such confidence, displaying such ability.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

Starting to look more unlikely that Rhys Priestland is available...! James Hook waits in the wings to be announced in the team tomorrow morning. it is believed that Priestland will not be risked if he is not fit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

If we had no cover then I would be worried,, If this team was being selected a few weeks back Priestland would have been 3rd choice by most posters

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

Cymroglan wrote:If we had no cover then I would be worried,, If this team was being selected a few weeks back Priestland would have been 3rd choice by most posters
If this team had been selected back in August maybe, but he has proved himself wonderfully.

He showed great signs last season and fully deserved his inclusion in the Six Nations squad, his first cap vs Scotland and his first start against England at twickenham.

We are lucky that we have experience as an alternative in Jones Hook and Stephen Jones.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

JDandfries wrote:
Gatts wrote:
JDandfries wrote:France will win, end of arguement!

Ha ha...it must kill that element of english fans who whine about being disliked and got their butts kicked last week by the french that now they to back les bleus in order to satiate their anti welshness......do you intend to elaborate and offer any coherent and cogent theory why France will win or is your hit and run indicative of the impotence of your 'arguement (sic)'

Well, to start with, I am Scottish, so it would be appreciated if you could take back your wild assumption (the one about me being and England Fan) as a start off.

I thought since you were basing your 'opinion' that Wales would win, on the worlds press and the bookies, then no reasoning was needed.

However just to humour you for a second.

IN MY OPINION (sorry if that isnt allowed) France have better players, they have history (the last 15 years anyway) on their side and they beat you comprehensively last time out. I also feel the enormity of the situation may get the better, of what is in truth, a very young Welsh team - and add to that, the fact France always play well once, and they havent yet, I feel the end result could be as comprehensive as it was in March!

My opinion though !!

PS - you will also note that I picked France to win the RWC from the start.

Now.... have you come up with a better reason than the press??

Scottish rugby fan...isn't that an oxymoron? I mean what's the point?

Nowt to do with the press, everything to do with the way we are playing, as a Scot you really should take note!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

Thankfully this has been a good betting RWC for me - but most of my winnings from Messrs Paddy Power has not been on actual match results (apart from ireland-Oz where my money was placed more in patriotic hope than expectation) but on things like first try scorer etc. Won on BOD scoring first try v Italy and a very nice bet on Earls and Shane being the first try scorers for Ireland and Wales last w/e.

Even with the spreads the bookies offer on matches, the odds are usually still crap and in the case of a match like Wales and France next w/e you're not going to make any decent money on a winning bet unless you bet loads. A combo bet of Shane/Clerc, North/Medard etc will give you some decent odds and even single bets on first try scorer overall or first try scorer either team will give a lot better odds than betting straight on the match result.

For what it's worth, hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling the French will front up again on Sas and pip Wales by 5-10 pts. My money will be on that margin with a second bet on Clerc to score first try

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

Gatts mate, no offence like but you're coming across as a WUM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:51 pm

The Gramlin wrote:Wales certainly can win this weekend. I'm just concerned that the Wales - France semi final will take so much out of players that they are goosed for the final. At least there is an extra days rest......

I cant see New Zealand or Australia fairing any better to be honest and both those teams have lost far more players than Wales.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:05 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
The Gramlin wrote:Wales certainly can win this weekend. I'm just concerned that the Wales - France semi final will take so much out of players that they are goosed for the final. At least there is an extra days rest......

I cant see New Zealand or Australia fairing any better to be honest and both those teams have lost far more players than Wales.

Thats true... Wales are missing a number though. Huw Bennet is our third choice hooker. usually chastised from pillor to post, now the man of the moment. Matt Rees might struggle to get his shirt back...

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

Biltong does tend to side against Wales. He predicted that Ireland would beat us as well, for some reason. That game was about as 50/50 (before kickoff) as I have ever had the pleasure of looking forward to.
France did just enough against a frankly dire England(no offense England), and that means they 'should have enough' to beat Wales. Losing two pool games for my money means they don't even deserve to be in the knockout stages.

There's every chance France could win this game, but it's because there is very little between any of the 6n sides, and nothing to do with inner belief about beating SH sides!?!?!?

France should bring their A game on Saturday, they will need it.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:07 am

From the Western Mail website here is the worlds press opinions on the big game...

Wales have stunned the rugby playing world with the dynamic rugby they have shown so far in the Rugby World Cup. But with a semi-final three days away, do the pundits think they can go all the way? This is what they are saying

"The final four in the Rugby World Cup go head to head this weekend with two semi-finals that really have everything. You could make a good case out for any combination of winners. But I predicted before the tournament began that it would end up being New Zealand v France and I am sticking to my guns. Wales really have been a revelation in this World Cup.

"They have flair and real pace and if the game on Saturday is open, they have the ability to win it. My fear is that France won't let them play. The key will be getting enough quick ball to feed the runners and that's where France's pack come in.

"Imanol Harinordoquy [pictured] had an outstanding game against England and he will again be a key figure for the French. If their forwards can dominate possession, Wales will be starved of enough ball to punish them. I think Wales may be the only side who can beat New Zealand but I just think France may be too canny on the day."

Simon Cambers, ESPN

"One Wales player no defence has yet managed to combat is the 17st centre Jamie Roberts [pictured], who has won collision after collision in the past six weeks and who ran into Donncha O'Callaghan so hard in the opening minute of last weekend's quarter-final that the Ireland second-row found himself on the ground shaking his head."

Paul Rees, The Guardian

"It has become apparent that this is not a World Cup about No 10s. None of the four semi-finalists have an in form, world class operator at No 10 and yet one of them is going to win the World Cup. That's because this tournament is being determined by halfbacks and opensides - they are the new rock stars of the game. Dimitri Yachvili was superb against England.

"Mike Phillips [pictured] is in the form of his life; so strong and agile and quick into his running. Will Genia is freakishly good. And there was Piri Weepu. He has come of age in this tournament, his performance against Argentina the best of his All Black career."

Gregor Paul, New Zealand Herald

"The Welsh have finally realised they are in the semi-finals of the World Cup and that the relative calm since their arrival in New Zealand is over. Their press conferences have many representatives of the British media that now have no English scandal to write about.

"Asked about the mood of the team, Shaun Edwards [pictured] assured us that nothing has changed: 'The guys are united and confident with their work. We always said we should move from game to game and that's what we did. There is only one secret: hard work.' And to put these words into action, the Welsh will rest on Wednesday."

Christian Jaurena, L'Equipe

"While the Welsh rugby squad hunkers down in New Zealand ahead of Saturday's World Cup semi-final with France, a frenzy is taking hold more than 10,000 miles away back home.

"Perhaps the world's most passionate rugby nation, the largely mountainous principality of some three million people has become transfixed by the heroics of its team.

"Bright and early on Saturday morning some 45,000 will head to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium to watch the match on big screens.

"Cocooned as they are, news of the developing hysteria has reached the Welsh players in their camp.

"The gates open at 6.30am, with the beer to begin flowing 90 minutes later."

Ossian Shine, Stuff.co.nz

"It almost the quintessential success story: the former players who may not have marked the history of the All Blacks but have placed their names in the hierarchy of great coaches. Warren Gatland, 48, has played 17 times for New Zealand but never a test match. But rarely has a coach exercised such influence within the teams he led.

"For over 10 years, Warren Gatland [pictured] has left an indelible mark wherever he went, as with today's Wales. Gatland did not hesitate to put on the bench players as seemingly undroppable as Stephen Jones, James Hook and Lee Byrne. He even left the ever-present redhead, Martyn Williams, at home to launch those young players who have broken out during the World Cup: Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau, Rhys Priestland, Leigh Halfpenny and George North.

"When many would have continued conservative methods with experienced players, Warren Gatland is a coach who seeks and finds. A man passionate about rugby and play, of uncompromising values ​​and physical preparation. A man of adventure. I still remember an evening where we had 20 minutes for an interview. Three hours and a lot of beer bottles later, Gatland was still there, talking forever about rugby, the game, the men."

Julien Schramm, Le Monde

"Many eyes will be on Aurelien Rougerie at the start of the weekend's first semi-final, awaiting his seemingly inevitable clash with Jamie Roberts, Wales' No12. Here are two 6ft 4in, 100kg-plus centres, each with the potential to bash holes in the opposing defence, or at least to attract the attention of so many defenders that gaps appear for others to exploit.

"While Rougerie only discovered a semblance of his usual form in time for last Saturday's quarter-final against England, Roberts has been creating havoc from the start of the tournament.

"For two teams who have reached the penultimate state of the tournament, there could hardly have been a more striking contrast between their fortunes over the past month. Where France's morale hit rock bottom with two defeats in their pool matches, leading observers to compare their general lack of togetherness to the meltdown of their football-playing equivalents in South Africa a year ago, Wales arrived in a mood of quiet confidence, extracted succour rather than discouragement from a narrow defeat in their opening match against South Africa, and have won praise for their composure and an esprit de corps which appears to have its origins in the maturity of their younger players."

Richard Williams, The Guardian

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/10/12/rugby-world-cup-what-the-world-s-press-is-saying-about-wales-and-france-91466-29584014/#ixzz1abzJT8Jq

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

Higherground, I am not siding against Wales.

I thought Ireland would beat Wales because Ireland has won more than 70% of their last 10 or so matches against Wales.

For the same reason I am of the opinion France will win.

At least give me credit for admitting when I am wrong.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:10 am

biltongbek wrote:Higherground, I am not siding against Wales.

I thought Ireland would beat Wales because Ireland has won more than 70% of their last 10 or so matches against Wales.

For the same reason I am of the opinion France will win.

At least give me credit for admitting when I am wrong.
Hopefully two weeks in a row...!

Maybe you should watch the rugby rather than reciting stats...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:18 am

Based on that sort of assessment we wouldn't be in a semi final of the RWC. wouldn't have beaten Fiji, wouldn't have beaten Samoa, wouldn't have pushed SA to a point wouldn't have beaten Ireland and won't beat France...I'll settle for those odds
Biltong is Mr Statto excpet when he isn't being psychic

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:19 am

Maesteg, i get the distinct impression that you are higly disappointed in me because I am not saying Wales will win.

Let me ask you this.

How does a neutral person look at teams he doesn't know a lot about.

This is how I look at it.

Firstly there are no French posters here, so they provide no information about their team.

So I can only read what the welsh guys have to say, and to be honest, they are pretty biased and react quickly when their team is criticised. So how much value can I get as a neutral observer from biased supporters?

So all that is left is to look at recent stats and then also to see which team has had dominance over another.

I can read reports and news online, but once again, the NZ press is so anti certain teams that once again their opinion doesn't carry too much weight.

Ultimately I have to decide for myself between all the biased info and the statistics what I think is going to happen.

Why then do you have such a problem with my opinion?

Just a note, the night before we played australia, I said on here that I have a very bad feeling that we are going to lose, now if I was anti anything I would have not said that.

So no, I am not anti welsh, and no if I do not know all the players and can only get one side's opinions, then I will not stop using statistics as a guideline.

If I am wrong, then fine.

Naas Botha once said. " don't go against history, as most of the time it wil prove to be correct."
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:25 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/10/10/wales-v-france-head-to-head-rugby-world-cup-2011-statistics-91466-29571519

There are the stats that matter biltong, Wales and France head to head stats based on world cup games.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:27 am

Look at the current stats, the ones about these two teams then. Wales and France are playing rugby right now in this tournament.

Even without stats you can just watch the way these teams are playing and form an opinion on that.

I dont accuse you of being anti welsh and i have never once said that you are not entitled to your opinions but I disagree with your reasoning because it seems pre ordained and not aware of what is happening in this RWC at the present.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:29 am

Wales v France: The statistics
WALES take on France in Auckland for a place in the Rugby World Cup final on Saturday. Here, WalesOnline's Jon Doel looks at the tournament stats for both teams so far.

THIS will be the first time these two teams have met in a Rugby World Cup, and the statistics show they have taken very different paths to the last four of this year's tournament.