The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grunting - Wozniacki speaks

+10
dummy_half
legendkillar
laverfan
wow
Super D Boon
newballs
time please
sirfredperry
bogbrush
barrystar
14 posters

Go down

Grunting - Wozniacki speaks Empty Grunting - Wozniacki speaks

Post by barrystar Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 am

Well done Wozniacki for speaking out on this as reported in today's Guardian. But how ridiculous for the Chairman and CE of the WTA to compare the situation in the women's game with that in the men's - they are simply poles apart as this bit of fooling around between Fed and Nadal helps to show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqLo9btPNk. I've said it a million times, but the grunting is a nightmare for spectators and Wozniacki is adding to the ranks of players who confirm what many have said/suspected about the unfair advantage it can bring (consciously or not). The WTA has been supine in the face of it's "stars" for too long on this issue. Education should be a given - but it won't stop the current tour players. They need to start doling out serious punishments, docking points, games, and matches and it will soon stop.

The world No1 Caroline Wozniacki has risked the wrath of her fellow players by effectively accusing some of them of cheating by grunting too loudly. The Dane claimed that "some players do it on purpose" and said the worst offenders have an unfair advantage on those who do not scream when they hit the ball.

The shrieks and wails of some of the sport's top female players have long been a bone of contention among fans and television companies, and Wozniacki feels that some players go too far. "I think there are some players who do it on purpose," she said. "They don't do it in practice and then they come into the match and they grunt. I think they [officials] could definitely cut it."

Though Wozniacki did not use the word "cheat", she made it perfectly clear that the serial offenders had an unfair advantage over the rest. "If you grunt really loudly your opponent cannot hear how you hit the ball," she said. "Because the grunt is so loud, you think the ball is coming fast and suddenly the ball just goes slowly. In tight moments, maybe the grunt helps them with getting less nervous."

Wozniacki's words are unlikely to sit well with Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka, two of her title rivals here at the WTA Championships this week. The shrieks of the 2004 Wimbledon champion have been compared to a pneumatic drill and have been measured at more than 100 decibels. Azarenka's grunts are longer and higher-pitched, and were described by one Wimbledon watcher this year as "like Mickey Mouse in distress".

Stacey Allaster, the chairman and chief executive of the WTA, admitted that it is time something was done. "The guys are grunting as well, it's not unique to women's tennis," she said. "But our female DNA transmits it in a different way. I'm very focused on the fans and I have seen a slight increase in the fan comments that we're receiving. So I do think on that basis that we should look at it. And if we're going to make any changes, it needs to [start] with the junior players."

Allaster said the WTA will start by visiting the academy of the US-based coach Nick Bollettieri in the off-season. "Our team will meet with coaches and young players, those who are on the eve of becoming WTA rookies," she said. "It just comes down to education. They have to determine how they want their brand to be."
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Grunting - Wozniacki speaks Empty Re: Grunting - Wozniacki speaks

Post by bogbrush Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 am

Good for her. I'm not a fan of her tennis but I do like her opinions and her preparedness to express them.

Plus she supports the right football team.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/02/24/tennis-star-and-liverpool-fc-fan-caroline-wozniacki-wears-steven-gerrard-shirt-on-court-100252-28230407/
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 am

Have posted on another site on this. Suffice to say that the quiet opponent should shriek as loudly as the noisy one until she shuts up. Failing that, the crowd should start shrieking. Failing that, the umpire should start shrieking. (Tournament referee after that?, guests in the royal box?). More seriously, the shrieking has to stop. They don't do it in practice, so it's becoming mere gamesmanship.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am

sirfredperry wrote:Have posted on another site on this. Suffice to say that the quiet opponent should shriek as loudly as the noisy one until she shuts up. Failing that, the crowd should start shrieking. Failing that, the umpire should start shrieking. (Tournament referee after that?, guests in the royal box?). More seriously, the shrieking has to stop. They don't do it in practice, so it's becoming mere gamesmanship.

Laugh I love your solutions sirfred!!!! Actually I fear this may be the only way, I think Ms Allaster has to steel herself to do more than just 'start with the junior players'

Tournament trip anyone???? I feel sure we have some great potential shriekers here Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 am

sirfredperry wrote:Have posted on another site on this. Suffice to say that the quiet opponent should shriek as loudly as the noisy one until she shuts up. Failing that, the crowd should start shrieking. Failing that, the umpire should start shrieking. (Tournament referee after that?, guests in the royal box?). More seriously, the shrieking has to stop. They don't do it in practice, so it's becoming mere gamesmanship.

It's the WTAs version of time delays. Both should be stamped out.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:23 am

"The guys are grunting as well, it's not unique to women's tennis," she (Stacey Allaster head of the WTA) said. "But our female DNA transmits it in a different way.

female DNA - do me a favour. The reason these girls do it is because they are encourage to by the likes of Bollitieri.

Outlaw it by warnings and then sanctions for the over the top offenders and you'll find it'll disappear overnight. Failing that the likes of Sharapova and Azarenka will have to make their money elsewhere and the rest of us can enjoy tennis the way it should be played.

Frankly I'm amazed it's taken so long for something to be done (although I won't hold my breath on this one) and good on Wozniacki for speaking out.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 am

They're a bit like the a-holes in the gym I go to. I hate the grunters who lift weights. They only do it when there's an audience. If they were on their own they wouldn't do it. It's just showing off. Time the WTA/ITF/ATP all came together to stamp it out.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:41 am

SDB in martial arts participants are taught to almost yell as they exhale and punch or kick in karate for example. It's called "kiai" or battle cry. It's in order to focus all their energy on one point but - and here's the clue- they are TRAINED and ENCOURAGED to do so. It's not a natural thing to do in fighting, tennis or any other sport.

Bollitieri needs to shoulder a lot of blame for this as he obviously watched too many martial arts films when he wasn't jumping out of planes in the military or whatever he did before he turned his hand to tennis coaching.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:48 am

Yes I remember my karate days. I think that was mainly a ritual rather than a practical thing. A bit like the Kata in rugby. Iremember compeitions and it was only the show offs that actually kiai'd

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:05 am

SDB from memory didn't competitions required that you kiaied to get maximum points for the strike/blow?

If they applied the same rules to tennis then I guess that de Brito (or Brillo or something similar) would win with honorable mentions for Sharpova (decibels) and Azarenka (length).

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:10 am

Nole speaks on ggrunting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzFIjdtopE&feature=related

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:44 am

Does anyone recall the USO 2011 Stosur-Williams incident (Eva Asderaki is the chair umpire)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRABbdDilY

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am

laverfan wrote:Does anyone recall the USO 2011 Stosur-Williams incident (Eva Asderaki is the chair umpire)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRABbdDilY

indeed! What a brave umpire Eva Asderaki was in that match! Really how did Serena get off so lightly for her outburst after the point going to Stosur following on from her behaviour in 2010? If that wasn't a threatening and intimidating scene, then it is hard to see what would be construed in that way.

Time to really try and stop the shrieking and screaming - it seems to be a big turn off for nearly all spectators and obviously most of the players too. I think it was a comment from Lopez this year, that as he was being driven away from Flushing Meadows he could still hear Sharapova.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 am

It is such a contrast to watch Stosur play so quietly, while there are extremes like Azarenka/Larcher-Brito.

Never heard much from Evert or Graf or Navaratilova or Henin, but I could be wrong.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am

I don't think Evert, Graf, Navratilova or Henin ever made a sound. Of course, all players might emit the odd 'ouff' stretching for a play occasionally, but this is something completely different.

Evert has commented on the issue, as has Navratilova:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4293867

Actually interesting to note that Evert comments that Graf 'hit the ball a ton' but never made a sound.

I think it all seemed to begin with Seles, and actually I don't think she did it consciously. She did try for a time to stop following a lot of criticism, but that seemed to impact on her game. Now it is taught as an intimidating weapon.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:13 pm

I think grunting players should be forced to where a gag with a tennis ball as the mouthpiece.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Azarenka's remarks reported in newspapers today defending her grunting are pretty dreadful. She's disrespectful, arrogant and pig-headed. She effectively is saying: "How dare anyone even question my right to make ridiculous, elongated shrieking sounds that ruin the game for opponents and spectators alike. Anyone who questions this should mind their own business."

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:40 pm

The grunting has definitely got to a ridiculous level amongst some of the female players - it is nothing more than gamesmanship, especially as they even grunt/scream/shriek when playing a sliced backhand or dropshot. It has absolutely no correlation with the effort being put into the stroke (and indeed, if a player WAS putting as much effort into the shot as some of the grunts suggest, a ball from Flushing Meadows would be landing in Centre Court), so it is clearly being used to distract opponents.

As for the argument that some of the men do it as well, I know Connors started the whole thing, but very few make a noise on every shot and even those that do are far quieter than the worst of the women (and it isn't just a matter of pitch). Indeed, I bet if a male player started yelling like Azarenka or Shriekapova, they'd just be ridiculed by their opponent and indeed the entire locker room.

Time to get serious and start penalising players for unsporting behaviour - an umpire actually applying the rules of the game and starting to penalise points and games against the excessive grunters would shut them up amazingly quickly. It's a crazy situation that the crowd will be warned for making noises during a rally, but a player won't be even if they are doing so repeatedly.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 pm

The problem is still how to precisely define what constitutes a gratuitous type/level of noise, such that precise rules can be made.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 pm

They can't even define 20 seconds. I am not very hopeful they will work the grunting issue out.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:23 pm

droogle
It shouldn't be that difficult to define - simply any noise that the umpire considers unnecessary and intended to distract the opponent.

It's fairly easy to apply common sense and say a one-off noise was from unusual exertion, but the grunting, screaming or shrieking on each shot (sufficiently loud to be heard from the other end of the court and from the umpire's chair) is obviously simple cheating.

Last edited by dummy_half on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Might be easy to apply common sense, but not so easy to type it...)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm

One of the most celebrated displays of grunting which will go down in tennis grunting history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqbrLz0jdLw

Michelle Larcher de Brito at Wimbledon (her opponent sounds like Schiavone):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI22ZDn6K4Y

Victoria Azarenka:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hby7iBk2tCw

Victoria Azarenka (Go to 0.30 for a treat):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXW0-vrt9Ao

Okay now test your tennis grunting knowledge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPn11ht1-g

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Sharapova - Williams (Mary Carillo calls it a 'cat fight' on that clip - pretty appropriate).

Azarenka - her grunting is louder than her 'Come on'. Laugh

Azarekna - 'shatter a couple of windows'. She needs to be employed as an aircraft tester for window strength measurements.

dummy_half wrote:It shouldn't be that difficult to define - simply any noise that the umpire considers unnecessary and intended to distract the opponent.
An electronic device should suffice in slams and others. The show courts have quite a few listening devices at hand.

Perhaps and iPhone4S with Siri can even tell the umpire what the screaming player wants to order for a meal. Wink

Tenez wrote:They can't even define 20 seconds.
Are grunting and points-between-time the same issue or different, what says a keen observer of the game? Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:03 pm

I've watched Azarenka twice and seen some interviews - she seems like a nice girl but the noises make watching her matches close to unbearable. It's the same noise every shot whatever the exertion. It's very stark when you see the difference between her knocking up, when she doesn't make a squeak, and then starting competitive play. I guess it's tough for her if that's how she's been taught and she's going to defend her patch like anyone else - that's where the WTA and her fellow players need to come in. As d_h said,
I bet if a male player started yelling like Azarenka or Shriekapova, they'd just be ridiculed by their opponent and indeed the entire locker room.
I suspect that the women don't try that (a) because they are nothing like as collegiate with one another as the men are but also because (b) they know they won't get support from the powers that be and it will become more of a distraction to them if they make an issue of it.

I'd like to think that waning of the authority of the Williams sisters and Wozniacki speaking up may start to change things, but as long as Sharapova is 'box office' the WTA will probably run scared. Azarenka is not yet 'box office', and her surprising flakiness indicates that she may not make it.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

laver

I think most match officials have two listening devices - one on each side of their head. I don't think there's a need to make a subjective rule that a grunt above (say) 80dB should be penalised, simply that any voluntary noise audible from the chair and to the other player can be penalised.

I did like the suggestion made earlier in the year that perhaps Sharapova's oppontent should require the tournament referee to provide ear defenders - under COSHH regulations, she's loud enough that hearing protection should be mandatory.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 pm

dummy_half wrote:It's a crazy situation that the crowd will be warned for making noises during a rally, but a player won't be even if they are doing so repeatedly.

When you put it like that it does show just how absurd the situation is!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Well you get the Nadal grunts and the Murray 'I've pulled something' groan. They actually make me laugh when they play each other.

Because you get a loud 'ERRRRRRRRRRR'

Followed by a quiet 'ahhhhhhh'

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 pm

And Djokovic's 'op ah', to the rhythm of Schiavone's grunts but without the decibels - noticed Andy using that one recently.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 pm

dummy_half wrote:I think most match officials have two listening devices - one on each side of their head. I don't think there's a need to make a subjective rule that a grunt above (say) 80dB should be penalised, simply that any voluntary noise audible from the chair and to the other player can be penalised.

The challenge is the lack of objectivity which the part at the center of those two listening devices exhibits. Wink. A similar discussion about a shot clock vs. 20-second interpretation is possible, as Tenez so adamantly points out.

dummy_half wrote:I did like the suggestion made earlier in the year that perhaps Sharapova's oppontent should require the tournament referee to provide ear defenders - under COSHH regulations, she's loud enough that hearing protection should be mandatory.
Should the spectators be also issued ear-protection devices? But I understand the need for ear protection. Smile

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I had a quick look at youtube as I suspected I could find some grunting exchanges between Djokovic and Nadal - it took me to the highlights of the US Open 2010. After a while I thought to myself - what brilliant tennis. Yes it is not in the "Federer" style, but it was awesome and perfectly suited for todays game and condition.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 pm

highlights of any match can make the whole thing look awesome, and certainly the third set was exciting, brilliant and edge of the seat stuff.

The fourth was dismal though I thought - Djokovic is having difficulty raising his arm to serve and Nadal is looking cramped and beaten despite the obvious injury to his opponent - in a way the brutality was easier to watch because they were both punch drunk by the end, but the ending was not classic in any sense, though the 3rd provided the excitement.

Back to the grunting Wink Larcher de Brito should actually be x rated and certainly not come with a PG certificate! Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:54 pm

I'd rather listen to Sharapova & Azarenka grunt, than watch Wozniacki play.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Marcus wrote:I'd rather listen to Sharapova & Azarenka grunt, than watch Wozniacki play.

Fair point!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Marcus wrote:I'd rather listen to Sharapova & Azarenka grunt, than watch Wozniacki play.

I have my sympathies with that point of view, which is one aspect of the WTA's problem. Those that count in the game don't see screeching as a problem, but are practitioners. That's not going to change overnight. Until it does there will be plenty like me who'd not be bothered about giving both 'spectacles' a miss. Ultimately the WTA will lose out as more and more coaches and young girls will believe that if you can't beat 'em you may as well join 'em and more and more spectators will be unjoining them.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 pm

After Azarenka swept Stosur away they both had this to say on the issue, according to the
Daily Wail. Stosur has put her finger on what is probably the most serious aspect of it for the WTA which Azarenka's defiance reinforces most eloquently - if the WTA is going to be a viable concern it has to attract the punters, so whilst integrity of the contest is all-important, habits that put off the punters will get them in the end.

Stosur pleaded indifference, and certainly did not offer it up as an excuse for defeat. Nor, for that matter, did she blame the strange scheduling decision to put her first match on when she had played late into the evening on Tuesday.

'I think when you hear it every single time you become unaware of it. I guess it’s one of those things, some players feel the need to do it,' she said.

She did, though, identify with the armchair fan when it comes to watching the yelpers play on television: 'Horrible,' was how she described it. 'I don’t like hearing it when I’m watching on TV but when I’m out there I don’t really notice it.

'If it’s deliberate, I guess you’d have to ask those players, but I’m pretty sure nobody is going to say they’re deliberately doing it. I make a noise when I hit the ball but it’s not so screechy so nobody says anything about it.'

Azarenka was defiant, perhaps buoyed by a performance that seemed to justify her status as pre-tournament favourite.

'Caroline never spoke to me about that,” she said. “It’s the way I play since eight years old and it’s part of my movement, part of my game. So I can’t change it and I’m not going to.

It’s not about the rule. You cannot stop people from doing what they do on the court. I mean it’s not like you’re trying to distract anybody, it’s just normal.

'For me I do it during practice, during matches. If some people do it only during the matches to distract maybe it’s bothering. It’s just a part of me, a part of who I am.'

And what if an opponent complained (as they are entitled to do to the umpire): “I’d say mind your own business I guess, I hope you can beat me,” she smiled, angelically.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:59 pm

I think I have found a possible solution to the grunting issue. We could build a double "glazed" transparent shell structure over the tennis courts for the ladies. In between the two layers we could pump out the air thus creating an impenetrable sound barrier.

P.S. A cheaper option would be to have them wear light weight transparent "double glazed" bubbles on their heads - like those nice astronauts and cosmonauts.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:04 am

Nore Staat wrote:I think I have found a possible solution to the grunting issue. We could build a double "glazed" transparent shell structure over the tennis courts for the ladies. In between the two layers we could pump out the air thus creating an impenetrable sound barrier.

Fine by me as long as we can project movies on these screens for the spectators.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:04 am

It's just as well that they don't grunt on the ladies' golf tour
http://cheezburger.com/02xfal/lolz/View/2590617600
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 am

barrystar wrote:It's just as well that they don't grunt on the ladies' golf tour
http://cheezburger.com/02xfal/lolz/View/2590617600

Oh dear. Someone didn't think that one through properly Smile

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 am

Wickmayer's cry takes some beating. Some liken it to "whoopie" but what it sounds like to me can't (for reasons of decency| appear on these pages.

Also if Azarenka is as audible in practice too heaven help us all. Either her coach is stone deaf or she must supply him with ear plugs as part of the coaching deal.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:08 am

newballs wrote:SDB from memory didn't competitions required that you kiaied to get maximum points for the strike/blow?

If they applied the same rules to tennis then I guess that de Brito (or Brillo or something similar) would win with honorable mentions for Sharpova (decibels) and Azarenka (length).

Newballs, interesting question. I rememeber in sparring competitions some judges insisted you kiai'd to be awarded the point if you didn't you may not get the point even if you landed a clean blow. Trouble is with that I remembered a load of idiot fighters would should "kiai" after every punch/kick thrown to try to con the judges into awarding the point even if their strikes missed by miles. Tournaments could become farcical with a load of arms and legs flailing with loud shouting everywhere. Women's tennis is becoming more about who screams the loudest wins as well.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 am

Tenez wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:I think I have found a possible solution to the grunting issue. We could build a double "glazed" transparent shell structure over the tennis courts for the ladies. In between the two layers we could pump out the air thus creating an impenetrable sound barrier.

Fine by me as long as we can project movies on these screens for the spectators.

Laugh

What would it be, The Great Escape ?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:16 am

Here is a famous karate battle cry: http://tinyurl.com/2xxg2k

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:24 am

At least she won't have to listen to it for the rest of the year now.

Todays match highlighted just what a joke the current rankings are.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down