The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion?

+5
CaledonianCraig
reckoner
Tenez
sirfredperry
laverfan
9 posters

Go down

Should grunting be banned in ATP/WTA?

Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Vote_lcap100%Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 5 ]
Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Vote_lcap0%Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Empty Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion?

Post by laverfan Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:19 pm

"In a meeting last weekend in Key Biscayne, the WTA board of directors took up the topic, which according to WTA vice president of communications Andrew Walker, "stemmed from an increase in negative fan reaction to excessive grunting and an increase in media coverage, and we made a determination that the landscape had changed, and we owed it to the fans to take a look at it."

Some analysts and players have called for chair umpires enforcing the hindrance rule when a player is grunting too loudly.

However, the WTA's two top players and loudest grunters, Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova, have strongly come out against any measures that would attempt to change their behavior, which puts the WTA in a tricky position as they are dependent on their star players to promote the tour.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=17046&zoneid=25

Watching the Djokovic-Ferrer match in Miami, both the players were also making reasonably loud noises, the difference between Sharapova-Radwanska and Ferrer-Djokovic being one of the frequency spectrum. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Empty Re: Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion?

Post by sirfredperry Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

Praps this should be headed: "Should shrieking be banned..." I don't spose many mind the odd grunt by the men, but few can stomach the high-pitched shrieking of the women. The girls don't do it in practice so why are they inflicting this on everyone during matches?
Spectators should let their feelings be known by making as much noise as possible themselves.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion? Empty Re: Grunting in Tennis - What is your opinion?

Post by Tenez Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

Sorry? (while pulling out my hear plugs)

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

Tenez wrote:Sorry? (while pulling out my hear plugs)

Are you watching a recording of Sharapova-Radwanska? Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

Shrieking is off-putting to the opponent and a form of cheating - definitely should be looked at!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:55 pm

As I've said before it's up to an opponent of a shrieker to outdo the shrieking themselves. The original shrieker can hardly complain.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:57 pm

sirfredperry wrote:As I've said before it's up to an opponent of a shrieker to outdo the shrieking themselves. The original shrieker can hardly complain.

What if they end up feeling a little horse? (sorry)

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

reckoner wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:As I've said before it's up to an opponent of a shrieker to outdo the shrieking themselves. The original shrieker can hardly complain.

Then they must be hard-up. Laugh
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
reckoner wrote:

Then they must be hard-up. Laugh

Apologies if that was a little pony...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

To avoid cries of discrimination, I have kept the shrieking and grunting together. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

Thing is, you can't ban the women from doing it and not the men, just because the women have a higher pitch.

Half the men 'grunt' in a non-effort way but it doesn't sound so offensive because it's quite a low tone, despite being quite loud.

Besides, Nadal does it, so it's not like they're going to change anything.

I do agree that it's not pleasant, but that's life.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:11 pm

But the sheer volume of it as it echoes round the stadium... really unpleasant.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

I am deterred from watching womens tennis because of their grunting which gives me a headache. I am doubly deterred watching a game involving Venus Williams, because of the grunting and lingerie she tends to wear.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/did.you.see.that.0528/images/venus-williams.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/24/article-1245542-07F6AE62000005DC-255_634x635.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

I've found that it's actually much less offensive in the stadium than it is on TV.

But the men are often just as loud, it's just the frequency that's the problem.

Should they ban any noise that's above a certain frequency?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

I agree with dj, it is really annoying when the when the women do it (because of the higher and more piercing pitch) but doesn't bother me at all when the men do it.

But its either all okay or none of it is okay. Can't punish one side because of the different pitch... So I don't think they'll be able to do anything about it... Unless they bring in the rule at junior levels so that it most players don't do it by the time they reach the tour?

But even then, what about the juniors that do it already... It's a difficult one.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

The difference between men and women isn't just to do with pitch, though it's not easy to define the difference.

However, it can't be all that hard to define as there's a world of difference between an unintentional noise that occurs as a secondary effect of intense physical exertion and the sort of trained, rehearsed screech that women players have been taught to incorporate into their game.
One tell-tale sign is the fact that the noise remains the same whichever shot is player, even if it's a block or a drop shot, since the noise isn't caused by physical exertion, it's simply a learned, automatic action that's invoked whenever a shot is played.
Also, whenever a grunt occurs as an unintentional result of physical exertion the grunt varies in accordance with that exertion. There's no such variation with the Sharapovas and Azarenkas, the skreech is consistent across every shot (again, since it has no causal link with physical extertion). The monotony of this type of noise is part of what makes it so unpleasant to listen to.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:49 pm

I find grunting and screaming both on men's but moreso on women's side hideous: Sharapova, Azarenka Verdaco... vomit

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 01 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

Yep, of course you can't ban noise when it's just exertion of playing a hard shot, but I don't accept that it's the case for ALL of the male players.

Kuerten used to make a fairly odd noise playing every shot, it wasn't piercing and it wasn't in any way offensive, but it had very little to do with effort.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Apr 2012, 5:52 pm

One could consider whether there should be any limits. For example a high pitch scream after every point, or a "yea baby" after every stroke or a "yaaboosska, that's what I'm talking about", or a "Geronimo" or a "let's be having you" or a ...

djlovesyou wrote:I've found that it's actually much less offensive in the stadium than it is on TV...
I agree it is likely to sound a lot louder on television than in the stadium because of the court-side microphones. I was actually surprised with one of the Q/A we had from Sarah Borwell who said that on court it didn't bother her because she never "heard" it. For me however I have difficulty watching the womens game on TV when Sharapova, Azarenka, Williams are playing. Azarenka's grunt isn't especially loud but I find it interupts my thoughts when I am watching. The dripping tap is a well known form of "torture". The wearing of lingerie and the grunting in womens tennis has been allowed to grow in the game. Not all women grunt and I don't recall much grunting in the past.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down