The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup

+38
bedfordwelsh
tomathy
yappysnap
nganboy
Cumbrian
rodders
funnyExiledScot
England rugby fan
tomhughesnice
cabbagesandbrussels
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Geordie
Bathman_in_London
Glas a du
Comfort
chewed_mintie
formerly known as Sam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mr Bounce
Boyne
asoreleftshoulder
GunsGerms
Luckless Pedestrian
Ozzy3213
robbo277
Taylorman
stlowe
Looseheaded
Knowsit17
Morgannwg
radelven
flankertye
Scot Abroad
Davie
mystiroakey
slartibartfast
EnglishReign
wrfc1980
42 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup - Page 3 Empty Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

So Ashton has finished up as top try scorer in the 2011 6 nations and the 2011 world cup. The guy is still in his early 20's so I have no doubt he will go on and break all sorts of try scoring records. His strike rate for England is phenominal and is pretty much a try a game for his 17 tests to date. His record for Northampton is equally impressive and is surely the best strike rate in any domestic top flight competition in the world. Ashton, providing he stays injury free will go down as one of the greats of the game.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup

Post by doctor_grey Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:41 am

Well this whole string has stayed relatively civil.

My thoughts on Ashton is that he is a very good winger who is still developing. He does run some good support lines as any back should. Someone wrote he plays more like an attacking fullback, which I think is spot on.

But I simply don't get the full of himself stuff. OK, he does a swan dive. I believe we call that having fun, not arrogance. I don't partucularly care for it, but that's another story. But the stupid swan dive does ot make him full of himself, or full of anything else either. As an example, the antics of the Wallabies Digby Ioane are far more extreme than Ashton's and no one comments. Frankly, I think no one cares. And with England, if the current England Manager really didn't want him to swan dive, he wouldn't do it. Especially THIS England Manager. And finally, how can anyone who drives a Ford Mondeo be full of himself? That is a massive contradiction.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Ashton top try scorer in 6 nations AND world cup

Post by welshy824 Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

lol grey how did you know he has a mondeo?
and fair point (i made the fullback comment!!) and it can be fun but i think it is due to his age that he does the swan dive- when he drops it one time which he will likely do it will put some sense into and ground the ball first (maybe its me being a forward and the fact i cant do swan dives, although as a flanker it wouldnt look as good after scoring from 5 metres out!)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 29 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

welshy824 wrote:lol grey how did you know he has a mondeo?
It was in an article in Rugby World, about 6 months ago, I think. So this was not a joke on my part. My neighbor's 19 year old daughter started driving a Mondeo and thought she was the coolest. I couldn't stop laughing. She decorated it and made it pretty. I wonder what Ashton's looks like.

welshy824 wrote: fair point (i made the fullback comment!!)
It is a known fact that geniuses can think alike!

welshy824 wrote:it can be fun but i think it is due to his age that he does the swan dive- when he drops it one time which he will likely do it will put some sense into and ground the ball first (maybe its me being a forward and the fact i cant do swan dives, although as a flanker it wouldnt look as good after scoring from 5 metres out!)
I'm a centre, but I know the drop is coming. Considering the team I am playing on at the moment, there are times when I want to swan dive for ANY try we score.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sat 29 Oct 2011, 12:50 pm

haha, if my team could get a friggin team- had to cancel a cup match today due to injuries and people with saturday jobs =/
so we are now out of the webb ellis cup (an all wales cup)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 29 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

I am in America until New years. Today is our first rain/snow/crap weather match of the season. Gonna freeze our pineapples off. Gotta love it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 29 Oct 2011, 1:12 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Now that you say it though, I have noticed a lot of Americanisms from the Irish fraternity posting on here, especially younger Leinster fans.
Funnily enough, I've noticed some Irish say 'gotten' and I thought it was just Americans who said that.

Gotten is for get what done is for do. Its just that a lot of English have forgetten this old word while Americans haven't done that yet.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3