The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+33
JDizzle
Bull
NickisBHAFC
kwinigolfer
Kidderlad
king_carlos
Biltong
msp83
LOVERBOY
HantsHenry
chrisss
Mike Selig
Derbyblue
kingdaveeagle
Mat
SimonofSurrey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thegooch7
Good Golly I'm Olly
atletico86
jimbohammers
jbd349
Shelsey93
jimbobgooner
Dulwich_Dog
Tibor
ChrisfromStroud
chichestersurryfan
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
37 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 10 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 1 Nov - 21:32

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys

Just a quick one to let you know that I have spoken with All Out Cricket regarding the amount of Surrey fans we have here at 606v2, and they're going to look to provide any Surrey related blogs/news/articles that they have to this section. Given that their office is located near to the Oval, they often chat with the Surrey guys and as such get some good interviews, so hopefully they can get some of those across here for you fellas to get your teeth into.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 10 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Oct - 2:45

Shocked Erm picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Oct - 6:18

JimBob - there's certainly no guarantee from me that it will all end happily but I think there's some logic to Keedy's signing which I've tried to show on the ''County Ins and Outs'' thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Sat 13 Oct - 23:19

Pack the side with old-timers,in the hope they'll be too tired go out partying every night seems to be the only logical explanation. picard

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 16 Oct - 22:43

Burns
Harinath
Solanki
De Bruyn
Overseas batsman
Roy
Davies
Batty
Meaker
Keedy
Dernbach

So we're looking at something like this as a team which, although it has plenty of 'old blokes' in it also has a lot of very young players too, just nothing really in between (depending on the age of the overseas batsman that I hope we sign.)

I think Keedy is a good signing actually, basically a Kartik replacement and should fill the gap until Ansari/burger boy are ready and actually allowed to play a full season!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Oct - 5:41

Hi Carrot - I think you're pretty near the mark with that team. The Corporal has expressed doubts about Dernbach for the CC so he might prefer to see Linley or Tremlett in the unlikely scenario of the latter being fit. (I suspect the Corporal wouldn't dare select Lewis while I'm around! Wink )

The real worry is the lack of batting depth. Other than Wilson (who might anyway be playing for Ireland against the likes of Vatican City!), we have absolutely no one in reserve at the moment for the season's start. To add to my concern, all of Roy, de Bruyn, Davies and Solanki were generally in moderate form during 2012.

You're also (understandably) assuming we get an overseas batsman. I'm going to a members' forum at the Oval on Thursday evening - if no one else does, I'll check the latest on signings then. My favourite journo Richard Spiller suggested last week that a deal for Graeme Smith might still be sorted.

Spiller - who never resists the chance to have a pop at Adams - also commented that our side for next season has the look of a ''fathers and sons'' team.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 19 Oct - 8:47

guildfordbat wrote:

You're also (understandably) assuming we get an overseas batsman. I'm going to a members' forum at the Oval on Thursday evening - if no one else does, I'll check the latest on signings then. My favourite journo Richard Spiller suggested last week that a deal for Graeme Smith might still be sorted.

I did ask about this earlier tonight.

With specific reference to Graeme Smith, Club Chairman Richard Thompson said ''Surrey would always be linked with big signings'' and then added that he ''wouldn't add to the speculation'' which immediately had the opposite effect! Some took this to mean that we were on the verge of getting Smith's signing finalised. I felt a more realistic take was that talks continue and an eventual signing shouldn't be ruled out although we're a long way from a done deal. I don't believe Thompson was stringing members along - a little later the possible signing of Chris Rogers was expressly ruled out.

Other news:
* Tremlett's scans have been ''encouraging'' and he is back in training.
* Academy Director Gareth Townsend will be ''disappointed'' if schoolboy batsman Dom Sibley - recently given a two year summer contract - doesn't go on to have a successful cricket career.
* Steve Davies fully expected to be up and running for the start of next season.
* Adams was missing from the meeting as his wife has had a ''serious fall'' [subsequently understand it was from a horse!] and he had to look after the children. Shocked

Besides Thompson, Townsend and CEO Richard Gould, Gareth Batty (embodying team spirit throughout although highly emotional at one point when alluding to Tom Maynard) and Vikram Solanki were in attendance. Solanki came across as sensible, pleasant and respectful (even calling me ''Sir'' which made me feel exceptionally old!). He added that he wanted ''to score a lot of runs'' which at least suggests he sees his job as going beyond the dressing room! Very Happy

More details on the wallpaper site [Oval World On The Net].

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 21 Oct - 3:51

Sir Guildforbat has quite a good ring to it! Laugh Just signing back in after couple of weeks out in the sticks (well the north of England anyway!).

Fathers and sons just about sums it up at the moment. The most positive spin that I can place on signing of Keedy is that he is keeping a place warm for someone else up and coming (? the Burger van or Ansari)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 27 Oct - 22:03

Surrey have recruited S Barnes as new fast bowling coach. (To replace Bicknell who is becoming chief scout for Surrey - will he have to wear shorts?)

Twinge of disappointment when I found that it was Stuart Barnes rather than S F Barnes - who would have been a magnificent acquisition. Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Oct - 0:10

Liked your comments about Barnes, Corporal. Very Happy

Just been watching the interviews of Solanki and Keedy.

I certainly wouldn't read too much into them but was impressed by Solanki (as I was at the recent members' forum). Self assured and pleasant at the same time. Keedy came across more as the Northener who seemed a bit overawed by London.

Anyway, what happens six months down the line is what's important ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 29 Oct - 8:35

Adams has been quoted in an article being less than complimentary about RHB, I'm not sure exactly what was said but seems like he's said he was losing his way before Tom's death and he wasn't developing as he should have or something. Whatever it was it's not exactly wise to make these sort of opinions public surely?

Also, Michael Brown has been having a discussion on twitter about it with some people. Someone said to him "I've heard Adams is a bit ruthless" to which he replied "no comment".

Next person said "Yeah i agree,never met Adams but judged on what I have heard and read he does seem to like the sound of his own voice". To which Brown replied "again - no comment".

Possibly says a lot...

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Oct - 9:08

Hi Carrot - hope the gorillas and langurs are well! Very Happy

This latest bout about Adams and Hyphen all sounds a bit unpleasant. Adams invested a massive, or should I say "immense", amount of his credibility in bringing RHB to Surrey as a very young captain, and largely unproven as a batsman. So I guess he feels he has lost a good deal of face the way things have turned out.

I think the conundrum with Adams is that he does come across at times as ruthless, and I guess you probably have to be to some extent in that position, but it seems pretty clear that management had been unable to get to grips with the culture in parts of the club.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Oct - 9:36

Hi Carrot - good to hear from you.

Similar thoughts to the Corporal.

I've heard it said that ''Hamilton-Brown was Adams' creation'' - ie Adams brought him back to the Club and made him captain.

Adams now seems keen on distancing himself from things.

PS Fixture lists for 2013 are expected to be out some time in the next fortnight. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Oct - 23:47

A lot of concerns about Adams being posted on the wallpaper site [Oval World on the Net - Supporters' Club] messageboard.

Tweets being quoted from not only Michael Brown but also Matt Spriegel and John Simpson (Middlesex CCC).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 30 Oct - 0:57

I obviously don't know much about what's going on at Surrey, but I don't think "ruthless" is a bad thing to have said about you if you're a coach. In fact, very nearly the opposite.

Gordon Lord (name-drop time Very Happy ) talked about being "compassionately ruthless" which I think is a wonderful turn of phrase, and epitomises the approaches to coaching of Flower, Woolmer and Kirsten amongst others. The message is that you have to make tough calls, but you also have to make sure the players are aware why you're making them. Perhaps Adams isn't so good at the latter?

Speaking from experience, the single toughest thing I have to do as a coach is tell someone very talented that ultimately he hasn't made the squad because of x, y and z. And the guys I tell this to don't rely on cricket for their livelihood. It must be even tougher for someone like Adams...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Oct - 5:10

Good to see you over here, Mike.

As you speculate, I feel the real issue - at least in cricketing selections and matters - isn't one of ruthlessness but of explanation, both to players and supporters. An abundance of management speak doesn't help matters; it has become a running gag on Surrey message boards that any failed player signed by Adams was ''immense in the dressing room''.

Where Adams probably needed to be more ruthless - it's hard to be categoric from this distance but the Corporal was understandably getting at this - was in changing the culture of some at the Club before the tragic events of last summer.

The vultures now seem to be circling over Hamilton-Brown's reputation. That may or may not be fair. What does seem extraordinary is Adams appearing to join them. Two reasons:
1. Following legal advice, the Club are reluctant to say anything about off field conduct so for Adams to break ranks now is bizarre.
2. As I mentioned last night, Hamilton-Brown is Adams' creation - he brought him back to the Club and made him captain. There is no getting away from that, however much Adams might want to.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 1 Nov - 21:25

Graeme Smith

I understand we've got him. He'll play and be captain for at least part of next season. Formal announcement expected this pm.

Clearly a very significantt signing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 1 Nov - 23:05

3 year deal. Great signing. Crikey Surrey have got some cash.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 1 Nov - 23:05

Do wonder how much he will play though...hopefully a fair bit.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 2 Nov - 0:32

Fists - I agree that if there is an issue, it's going to relate to Smith's availability.

I've heard it said today that he's expected to play 10 CC games in 2013 but have no idea as to the basis or validity of that. As I understand it, he's not playing in the IPL and shouldn't miss too much next season due to South African committments.

I actually think it's to his personal credit that he doesn't want to turn his back on South Africa. I do though know that his wife is from Ireland and have been told by a reliable journalistic source (the Corporal should understand that cryptic reference! Wink ) that he is accordingly keener to be based in London than Cape Town.

With regard to Surrey having ''some cash'', I'm certainly not going to plead poverty on the Club's behalf. However, we have a small playing squad and have recently lost several from the pay roll including top earners Hamilton-Brown, Ramps, Maynard and Murali Kartik. We also pick up none of the tab next season for Pietersen following him kissing and making up with England. There have been some additional expenditures (signing Solanki and Keedy, Tremlett losing his central control and going on to a Surrey contract) but not nearly as much.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 2 Nov - 0:55

From Smith's point of view a curious move - my impression was that he rather enjoyed the extended breaks that being an SA cricketer offers (compared to an England one), and he is now likely to be engaged in playing year-round.

He still plays Tests and ODIs and those take up a significant about of time.

Meanwhile, South Africans still appear keen to play in county cricket despite the frequent suggestions that the more elite Australian and SA systems are better...

From Surrey's point of view a great signing as a batsman - he's still not old and has had pretty decent returns of late in spite of a perceived decline. As a captain it could go either way - will he really enjoy sitting in the pavilion on a wet Tuesday? Whilst combining it with the role of SA captain will he really be able to put his full energies into the Surrey job>

I don't know. Batty seemed to do an extremely competent job last year and I'm a little surprised they aren't sticking with him...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 2 Nov - 2:42

just heard about smith joining Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 2 Nov - 4:30

So Surrey has after all managed to get Graeme Smith, and as captain as well. Seems a good move for all concerned, Smith should be available for large part of the season, SA's commitments aren't that much for the next couple of summers as things stand now.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 2 Nov - 8:05

That is a coup. And just for a change a recruit who might actually be immense in the dressing room and on the pitch!

The signing also pretty much dispels the argument that the Surrey regime under Adams is unable to recruit big names other than those who are completely past it

Ansari will face stiff competition for the openers slot..... Wink

Haven't yet checked Surrey website for an interview with Adams. My prediction in the Adams bingo stakes is that he will use the word "immense" twice Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 2 Nov - 9:55

Not a single immense in a 9 min interview Shocked

Interesting interview - much of the typical Adams management speak was missing - got a very strong sense that Adams power is considerably reduced - seemed pretty clear that Smith is going to call the shots. Seemed too an admission that harmful culture at the club under Hyphen's captaincy needed to come to an end. Reference to recruitment of senior players who knew how to conduct themselves....a fairly telling point....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 2 Nov - 10:10

Evening Corporal - references as well to Smith being approached ''at the Headingley Test''. That was at the beginning of August, suggesting the end of Hyphen's reign was being planned by the Club then.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 4 Nov - 0:48

I read Smith will be captaining Surrey. I suppose that confirms his commitment to the county.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 4 Nov - 1:15

Biltong wrote:I read Smith will be captaining Surrey. I suppose that confirms his commitment to the county.

Biltong - there is also a feeling that as well captaining Surrey, Smith will become increasingly involved with the cricket management side of things ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 4 Nov - 1:21

Yeah I get the feeling he is planning a career move to the UK, he knows he only has a few years left, his wife has a career in the UK, not so much in SA.

So perhaps he is planning his future at a cricket club nearer to where his wife can build her career as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 4 Nov - 1:39

Biltong - yes, I've been told he is keener to be based in London than Cape Town as it's so much closer to Ireland (his wife's family are from there). His wife also had a baby not long ago. Clearly important factors and probably even more relevant to Smith now that he has the money behind him when future career decisions are made ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 4 Nov - 1:44

Well he served his country honourably and if he decides to relocate I can only wish him the best in his future endeavours
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 4 Nov - 3:28

Biltong wrote:Well he served his country honourably and if he decides to relocate I can only wish him the best in his future endeavours

Biltong - you've certainly got Smith as much as you want him for another year, during which he'll be fitting in his Surrey appearances around his international committments. I just get the impresson that he is likely to be more heavily involved with Surrey during year 2 (ie our 2014 season) ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 4 Nov - 3:39

That's pretty much how I see it as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 4 Nov - 4:40

Meaker called up by England as cover for the injured Finn.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 8 Nov - 9:43

More stirring in Surrey. A few comments from Ramps reported on the BBC website about the Adams regime. Nothing particularly rude - but enough to refocus attention on aspects of the Adams regime.

"It will be a very interesting dynamic between Graeme and the director of cricket, Chris Adams," Ramprakash continued.
"When Chris was appointed, I felt he was very dominant. He made all the decisions in the direction of where the cricket was going.
"He made a very bold decision in making Rory Hamilton-Brown captain and unfortunately things didn't work out.
"Here, they have gone to almost the other extreme in getting a hugely experienced captain.

"Having seen things not quite work out with Rory Hamilton-Brown, Surrey have addressed that in a really serious way by getting someone who is world renowned"

Also interesting to read this alongside Alec Stewart's comments about recruitment of Smith. The sense of power shifting away from Adams is strong....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 23 Nov - 5:32

Understand from the wallpaper site that the 2013 fixture list is to be issued on Monday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 24 Nov - 13:28

cheers guildford thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 6 Dec - 8:50

I see from the Surrey website that Tom Jewell has got off to a good start on his stint in Australia. If he pushes hard he could be a reasonable bet for getting a chance, particularly in the CB40 next season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 20 Dec - 9:09

Sibley is in the England U19 squad.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 4 Jan - 21:14

clap to Sibley. The guy looks a great prospect and god knows we need as much depth in the batting as possible for the coming season! This season will be too early for him I expect but with De Bruyn and Solanki nearing the end of their careers hopefully he can make the step up relatively soon.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 5 Jan - 1:58

I know no details at all but have been told by a reliable source that another batsman signing is 'in the pipeline'. Certainly needed!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 5 Jan - 9:43

Sounds like a hot tip from inside the stable - no rumours about it even on the wallpaper site. Question is whether it will be someone aged 37!

Interesting to see that Alec Stewart's list on (BBC website) of 6 players to watch for 2013 include Stuart Meaker. He could be right!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 5 Jan - 20:24

guildfordbat - Very good news indeed there. I can only think it'll be a kolpak player or someone who hasn't found a contract after last season. Either way we desperately need another batsman in the squad.

On a side note it also makes a slight mockery of letting Lancefield go. Not that I can claim to know to much about why he was let go/left.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 10 Jan - 4:31

KP has finally signed a full England contract which I guess means he'll remain at Surrey and play about three T20 games a year.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 10 Jan - 8:48

king_carlos wrote:KP has finally signed a full England contract which I guess means he'll remain at Surrey and play about three T20 games a year.
King - always a chance of one CC match! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 10 Jan - 9:11

guildfordbat wrote:
king_carlos wrote:KP has finally signed a full England contract which I guess means he'll remain at Surrey and play about three T20 games a year.

Ideally when Surrey are playing at Guildford.... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 10 Jan - 9:53

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Yes, ChichesterSurreyFan seems keen for me to arrange not only Pietersen's presence at the Guildford festival but also another double ton - oh, and uninterrupted sunshine! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 10 Jan - 9:56

guildfordbat wrote:
Yes, ChichesterSurreyFan seems keen for me to arrange not only Pietersen's presence at the Guildford festival but also another double ton - oh, and uninterrupted sunshine! Very Happy
Laugh Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 11 Jan - 1:19

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Laugh In fairness there are a few county grounds that aren't too generous with their boundaries - Taunton and Chelmsford come to mind!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 11 Jan - 1:26

Out of interest does anybody know what Tom Lancefield is doing now, I haven't heard any news of him signing for a new county. I can only guess he's taken up a role with a minor county side here or a semi-pro side abroad (or moved out of cricket). I know I'm being insistent but given the need to sign Solanki and a real lack of batsmen in the squad I just can't make sense of letting him go!

Also it's good to see Steven Davies is back from his many winter travels. Reading the article 'squad back in training' is a slight overstatement given how many players are abroad at the moment.

http://www.kiaoval.com/squad-back-in-training/

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 Jan - 7:20

King - Lancefield had a raw deal at Surrey. Did reasonably well when he forced his way into and pretty much established himself in a struggling team back in 2010. Injury then cost him the 2011 season and he never got another chance despite Adams specifically naming him as someone who would get an opportunity following Maynard's death.

The impression I have is that Adams never truly believed in him. If that is the case - on the one hand, better to release him rather than string him along.

However, he never had the chances like some to prove Adams right or wrong. Furthermore, as we've said recently, there's a definite lack of batting cover now. Also, he would have been on a low salary compared to many and so retaining him would hardly have jeopardised the salary cap.

All in all, a one year extension would have done no harm and might just have kickstarted his career for his and our benefit.

I know Lancefield was talking to other counties last September but don't believe anything has materialised. [Upon being released in 2011, Simon King spent last year working for a recruitment firm in the City which must have been a ghastly comedown after being on the threshhold of a sporting life.] I hope things work out for Lancefield - if nothing becomes apparent, I'll make some discreet enquiries when the new season starts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next