The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular wrestling opinions......

+43
Ayrshirebhoy
Beer
Bonesaw's ready
Ent
crippledtart
Stonee21
TopoftheChops
BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM
Statto00
DonIffy
DemonicTruthSpeaker
Gregers
Shot 21 LCFC
UpsideDownFace
AberdeenSteve
Bull
randy-poffo
Celtic Warrior
Fernando
The Awesome Giz
The_Essence_of_Excellence
Don Caboose
theundisputedY2D2
VDT
ADMIN
Mr H
talkingpoint
TwisT
President Trump
sodhat
longrangeeffort
Adam D
Dr Gregory House MD
Lex-Express
Kay Fabe
Marky
A Fine Folk.
MtotheC
Aaronb33
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
psycho-gooner
JamesLincs
Brady12
47 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Unpopular wrestling opinions...... - Page 4 Empty Unpopular wrestling opinions......

Post by Brady12 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hopefully this will spark some debate, what do you like/dislike that goes against the general status quo....

ED please refrain from commenting... your man crush on Heath Slater has inspired this post.....

1987 - 1992 > Attitude Era

Triple H vs Taker Wrestlemania 27 was not a classic

The GTS is a terrible move often poorly executed

The greatest heel in WWE history is without doubt Vince McMahon

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Unpopular wrestling opinions...... - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular wrestling opinions......

Post by Ent Sun 13 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

From his return cm punk has been rubbish and sucked any enjoyment out of raw- plus his reality era is the worst thing to have ever happened in wwe.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Unpopular wrestling opinions...... - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular wrestling opinions......

Post by Bonesaw's ready Sun 13 Nov 2011, 5:33 pm

Davieswasacrippledtart wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:The Million Dollar Man is seriously overrated, he was great in 1988 but after that he was never as entertaining, he wasn't bad but never understand when he's put on a 'shoulda been world champion' list

- I don't like Shawn Michaels. I think he's a great wrestler but I can't stand his wrestling persona or what I have witnessed of his actual personality (even the reformed version). I'll go as far as to say that I don't actually understand why people would like Shawn Michaels as a person! I find him that irritating.

That's exactly the way I feel about HBK. Once he's in the ring I enjoy his work, but the HBK character is one I've always disliked. I could kind of get on board when he was heel but a face HBK for me has always been underwhelming.

- To add my own ones to the thread

- Insider references/Worked shoots are terrible. I cringe watching them, the Cena/Punk/HHH one at the contract signing was the worst example of this.

- I also generally dislike wrestling lingo. Just a personal thing that but it does irk me. I think 'pop' is the one I dislike most, I'm not even sure why

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:20 pm

HHH would be a main eventer even without the backstage politics
Cena is one of the greatest and I respect him for his loyalty in staying in the WWE. Cena is basically Hogan

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:11 am

the-gaffer wrote:The Million Dollar Man is seriously overrated, he was great in 1988 but after that he was never as entertaining, he wasn't bad but never understand when he's put on a 'shoulda been world champion' list

I agree. He was much better in his pre-WWF career. I think he could have been champion in 1988 but after his run with Hogan and Savage was over he settled into the upper midcard heel role well and that was where he belonged.

I will add to this list:

- Mr Perfect, Rick Rude and Jake Roberts were never at any point during any of their WWF careers good enough to represent the company as world champion, in my opinion

- I don't like Shawn Michaels. I think he's a great wrestler but I can't stand his wrestling persona or what I have witnessed of his actual personality (even the reformed version). I'll go as far as to say that I don't actually understand why people would like Shawn Michaels as a person! I find him that irritating.

- I think Scott Hall was an average wrestler and an average talker. He had charisma, but I don't think he had the charisma to be the number one star in a promotion

- I think Davey Boy Smith might have been the most boring wrestler who ever lived, and I believe that if he wasn't British most people on this board would barely remember him

- Finally, a positive one. I think that Eddie Guerrero was actually underrated as a performer and should have been an even bigger star than he was, and WWE should have made him the centrepiece character on Smackdown in 2003 and run with it, rather than waiting two years to give him a genuine main event push

Been waiting eagerly for your input here Crips heres what I think...

Jake, Perfect & Rude I loved all of these guys but they were around mainly in the Hulk Hogan era, when titles weren't past around like hot potatoes so its difficult to see where a world title run would have fit. If they were around today where the belt doesn't means as much I'm guessing at least one would have been a world champion. I still consider Jake Roberts 1991 heel run as one of my favourite heel characters of all time. The segment where the cobra bit Randy Savages arm was just amazing. He had an sensational wrestling mind & one of the best in-ring psycholgist theres ever been.

Michaels' personality isn't the best i'll agree, on his DVD I skipped the stuff where he found God as I find stuff like that utterly boring... However i'd argue that his obnoxious attitude spawned another one of my favourite heel character in 97 when he had the infamous feud with Bret Hart, they were polar opposites & this fuelled the greatest rivary in WWE history. The original incarnation of DX was must see TV with Michaels playing out on camera how he was backstage. At the end of a day I couldn't care less how he behaves off camera or outside of the ring, especially when I think it enhanced his abilities as a performer.

I think the level Scott Hall attained was about right for what he had to offer.

Excellent point about Smith he couldn't deliver a decent promo to save his life, I remember my elder brother pointing out we should be following him in the 1991 Rumble when he came 4th due to his roots - That summed his whole likeability up really... Dynamite Kid was much better

Eddie if I remember was pretty much the most popular guy on Smackdown when he was one half of Los Guerrero's so I agree with your assesment there

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

I personally found the Bret v Owen matches at Mania & Summerslam extremely boring. Technical wrestling at its dullest. Infact i found Owen Hart very dull on a whole and dont think he'd be held in such high regard if he was still alive.

Dustin Runnels is better than Cody. The Goldust character was brilliant, Dustin is an excellent worker and a decent talker and i always felt Goldust underachieved.

I find Kane cringeworthy to watch. From day one ive always found him wooden, very sloppy in ring and boring on the mic. I didnt like his WHC run last year. Everyone says he deserved it and his promos were great in the fued with Taker but for me i wasnt interested one bit.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

The Gaffer's.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

I love the insider shoots.

British Bulldog should have been a world champion. Am I saying that because he was English. Maybe but who cares. RIP Davey Boy.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

King Beer wrote:

The Gaffer's.

Laugh

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

Another one

Shane McMahon should have been WWE champion

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:33 am

Gregers wrote:Another one

When?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

Dont really mind Mr h. Maybe ruthless aggression era. One of my favourites of all time is Shane.

I would mark out if dollar dollar hit during the rumble this year so so so much

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

Shane McMahon was a brilliant wrestler and entertainer. But World champion? Intercontinental maybe.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Shane McMahon was a brilliant wrestler and entertainer. But World champion? Intercontinental maybe.

Disagree totally. Shane McMahon was a gimmick wrestler, who basically did insane bumps to try and get his father's attention. It never worked.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

The Royal Rumble is the most important and anticipated PPV of the year. I think that's true here at least, in the USA they have the whole history of paying for tv whereas here we had all their 'PPV's for free for so long so I personally never bought into the Wrestlemania mystique. Only really after watching the dvd about Wrestlemania did I understand the history about how it came to be, I always just thought it was hyperbole on the WWF/E's part.
'Watch this, this is the most important event'.

From personal experience 'Royal Rumble' is a more household name (for lack of a better word) in the UK than Wrestlemania is. I imagine if you ask the man in the street to name things associated with Wrestling you'd hear something like....in family fortunes fashion

Hulk Hogan
Royal Rumble
Steel Cage match
Undertaker

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:40 pm

Mr H wrote:I personally found the Bret v Owen matches at Mania & Summerslam extremely boring. Technical wrestling at its dullest. Infact i found Owen Hart very dull on a whole and dont think he'd be held in such high regard if he was still alive.

Each to their own I suppose, but I think you're missing out if you only see these matches (WM10 in particular, which to me at least was superior to SS) as technical wrestling.
If you look at the narrative of the match it's all about the wiley older brother outsmarting the cocky little upstart, the technical side is a pre-requisite as it was all about Owen trying to prove he was smarter and better than Bret at his own game. Totally logical, exciting rise and fall in the match and kept within the dynamic of the fued. If they came out swinging chairs and tables it would be absolutely illogical.

I personally hold Owen Hart in high regard, I thought he played the bratty heel so well and had the best moveset I've seen in WWE to this day. I'm not sure if he should have made it to be World champ, if he was ever to win it, it would have been as a transitional one during his feud with Bret. His death hasn't coloured my opinion of him as a wrestler, once he got that blue blazer gimmick I don't think he was likely to rise above midcard again.

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:42 pm

Bonesaw's ready wrote:
Mr H wrote:I personally found the Bret v Owen matches at Mania & Summerslam extremely boring. Technical wrestling at its dullest. Infact i found Owen Hart very dull on a whole and dont think he'd be held in such high regard if he was still alive.

Each to their own I suppose, but I think you're missing out if you only see these matches (WM10 in particular, which to me at least was superior to SS) as technical wrestling.If you look at the narrative of the match it's all about the wiley older brother outsmarting the cocky little upstart, the technical side is a pre-requisite as it was all about Owen trying to prove he was smarter and better than Bret at his own game. Totally logical, exciting rise and fall in the match and kept within the dynamic of the fued. If they came out swinging chairs and tables it would be absolutely illogical.

I personally hold Owen Hart in high regard, I thought he played the bratty heel so well and had the best moveset I've seen in WWE to this day. I'm not sure if he should have made it to be World champ, if he was ever to win it, it would have been as a transitional one during his feud with Bret. His death hasn't coloured my opinion of him as a wrestler, once he got that blue blazer gimmick I don't think he was likely to rise above midcard again.

*as nothing more than technical wrestling

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

I understand what you're saying Bonesaw but im simply offering an unpopular opinion that i didnt enjoy the actual match. I understand the backstory to it and Owen trying to prove he was better than Bret, but how many times do we see a good build up result in a shoddy match?

The build up to the Iron Man match at Mania 12 was excellent, the 'boyhood dream' etc. But the match itself was as dull as Gary Barlow. Orton v HHH at Mania 25. Excellent build up but the match stunk. I realise most will be of the same opinion of these 2 and maybe not the Bret/Owen match. But personally i didnt enjoy it.

Oh and Owen having the best moveset you've seen to this day? Really?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

Fair enough H. Like I said, each to their own. And, yes I thought Owen's moveset was incredible. I don't class him as one of the very best ever, but his array of moves from technical wrestling to high flying was incredible and so much variety. Who else on the roster would like right delivering a tombstone and a spinning heel kick in the same match?

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Interesting. I've always found Owen Hart very similar to Chris Benoit. Both technically sound mat wrestlers yet very agile capable of high flying. Both quite intense yet lacking charisma (Owen probably had more charisma), but ultimately upper midcarders who are fairly boring to watch.

Harsh? Perhaps, but thats the point of the thread - unpopular wrestling opinions.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

Bradshaw was a better character than JBL.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

The Undertaker was at his best when he was the leader of the Ministry Of Darkness.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:40 pm

If there was one thing Owen didn't lack it was charisma

I always saw Owen taking over from Jerry Lawler on commentary

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Mon 14 Nov 2011, 6:56 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:The Undertaker was at his best when he was the leader of the Ministry Of Darkness.

I was watching some youtube vids of the Ministry and i curse my parents for not having Sky Sports during the attitude era Sad Sad

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm

- Finally, a positive one. I think that Eddie Guerrero was actually underrated as a performer and should have been an even bigger star than he was, and WWE should have made him the centrepiece character on Smackdown in 2003 and run with it, rather than waiting two years to give him a genuine main event push

Got to agree with this one, I've heard a lot of people say that Eddy's status but I truly belive that he was one of the greatest ever, he certainally makes by top 10 all rounders, the man could do it all, in the ring he was a tremendous wrestler plethoras to great matches to his name, he had a brilliant repitor of power and technical moves but never looked out of place in a crusier/jr situation, in terms of outside the ring his promos were very good, face/heel, funny and serious he could do it all, to take a man as beloved as Eddy in 2006 and turn him heel so convincingly was a real testement to his talents, the disturbing character he portrayed against Mysterio was fantastic. Also I will end by saying that the match where Eddy won the world title from Lesnar was one of the very very few matches where I have retroactivly marked out, the emotion created in this match where the beloved Gurrerro faced the monsterous Lesnar was just so good.

Whether he was alive today or not Guerrero was and always will be a true great.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

the-gaffer wrote:If there was one thing Owen didn't lack it was charisma

Well that's certainly not anything i've ever considered, but I seemed to remember a brief run he had on Raw (maybe just before his death when they were selling the idea of him not being the Blue Blazer) he was very good .... He did have some charisma but I could never take an Owen Hart's promo seriously, he looks like he's on the verge of bursting into laughter all the time. Either everything was one big rib to him or he's the worst actor in wrestling history

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm

Gregers wrote:Another one

Not for me, it would of carried zero credibility. Shane proved himself to be capable of putting on decent spotfests & I certainly think he gained respect from a lot of the locker room. But World Champion? I'd kind of liken this to my Junior Football days when the manager's son was barely worthy of a place in the team but would somehow end up with the player of the year trophy at the end of the season

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:05 am

I find anything pre-attitude era quite boring

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:28 am

Won't be too specific but I thought the opening of Raw tonight was awesome

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:40 am

You're not the only one mate, I have loved it so far

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayrshirebhoy Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:08 am

I miss vince as a commentator

Ayrshirebhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:15 am

The Divas arn't the worst thing in wrestling at the moment.

I'm not looking forward to the Rock/Cena match at Mania.

The best all round wrestler in the WWE is Daniel Bryan.

Cena is more selfiesh performer than HHH was/is.

The Royal Rumble is the best PPV event in WWE.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

"Also I will end by saying that the match where Eddy won the world title from Lesnar was one of the very very few matches where I have retroactivly marked out"

Hell yeah me too. It was the only time I have celebrated the end of a wrestling match like Leicester City FC had just scored a goal. That is one of my greatest memories as a wrestling fan. R.I.P Eddie.

"The Royal Rumble is the best PPV event in WWE"

Agree with this too. I prefere Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania or any other PPV. And a royal rumble as a match is also my favourite beating TLC, HIAC or any other.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:43 am

Brady12 wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:If there was one thing Owen didn't lack it was charisma

Well that's certainly not anything i've ever considered, but I seemed to remember a brief run he had on Raw (maybe just before his death when they were selling the idea of him not being the Blue Blazer) he was very good .... He did have some charisma but I could never take an Owen Hart's promo seriously, he looks like he's on the verge of bursting into laughter all the time. Either everything was one big rib to him or he's the worst actor in wrestling history
I always thought he played the whiney heel perfectly in 94/95, in 99 though when he 'hurt' Dan Severn and allegedly retired and denied he was the Blazer, I always felt that he was intentionally awkward, even though he was denying it I felt like he was doing so in a mocking way so the viewer would know he definitely was the Blazer

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex-Express Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

Bastion Booger should have been given the naked mideon gimmick and should have fathered May Youngs hand

Lex-Express

Location : I like coffee, vanilla icecream and smokewheel pizza

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:12 am

I prefer Monsoon/Heenan over JR/King

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:57 am

I prefer McMahon/Ventura over Monsoon/Heenan

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:10 am

xTwisTx wrote:I prefer McMahon/Ventura over Monsoon/Heenan

Agree with this 100%

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

"They look like a couple of carp in the mississippi going after the same piece of corn" Very Happy

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:33 am

UpsideDownFace wrote:I find anything pre-attitude era quite boring

Im old school i'm afraid. I preferred everything that pro-wrestling had to offer pre-1995.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:37 am

Pre 1995 wrestling had many more characters and their gimmicks, however mad, were great. Fast forward to the present era and you just get a conveyor belt of the same old wrestler mould.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

xTwisTx wrote:Pre 1995 wrestling had many more characters and their gimmicks, however mad, were great. Fast forward to the present era and you just get a conveyor belt of the same old wrestler mould.

Great way of putting it pal agree wholeheartedly

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
xTwisTx wrote:I prefer McMahon/Ventura over Monsoon/Heenan

Agree with this 100%

Ahhh the old announcer conundrum......

JR & Gordon Solie I rate as the 2 best. But these two were the greatest teams by far.... I can't separate them

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

Mr H wrote:
UpsideDownFace wrote:I find anything pre-attitude era quite boring

Im old school i'm afraid. I preferred everything that pro-wrestling had to offer pre-1995.

I think it comes down to the fact that I started watching about 97/98. So when I've watched stuff back I've found it almost impossible to become emotionally involved.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

I don't think Big Show is as bad as some people make out, as a go to guy he is good at putting people over, considering his size and age isn't completely immobile in the ring and decent enough on the mic.

I think Randy Orton is probably the most overrated wrestler in WWE today.

I also don't get Zack Ryder, I respect that he went out and tried to do his best to make a name for himself considering he was a jobber, but that doesn't mean WWE have to give him a push, especially on the back of somebody much better than him in Dolph Ziggler.

I actually liked Bobby Lashley. I thought he had a great look, was good enough in the ring and all he lacked was the presence on the mic.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

In what way as a Wrestler is Orton overrated???? I feel judging by the online opinion, he's underrated, his timing is superb

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm

I don't think it is possible for Orton to be overrated, popular opinion seems to have turned on him despite this being arguably his greatest year ever, the Christian feud really brought him on massivly as a face, his wrestling which was never too shabby has definatly suited the more agressive babyface style he now works, he is one of the smoothest workers in WWE and arguably the world and in his feud with Mark Henry that showed he can play the valient babyface fighting against the odds very well.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:11 am

I have just never bought into him. I am mainly judging by opinions on this board which seems to be that Orton is amazing, and also I think the WWE overrates him.

I've always struggled to get interested in him on the mic, while I understand that's supposed to be his style, his slow and monotone voice just bores me. In the ring, I often fail to get excited by his matches, it all seems a little too smooth and slick.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Marsh Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Everybody brace yourselves....

I quite like Tony Schiavone and think he did an excellent job commentating with a variety of co-hosts (Dusty, Jesse, Heenan, Zbyzsco and Tenay amongst many others) despite the product veering wildly from sublime to ridiculous.

Often unfairly criticised for the Foley announcement (a regular occurance on Nitro by that point) and generally looked upon as a weak link, he always tried to keep the commentary on track and genuinely seemed to enjoy the company of everyone he worked with.

Anyone who has heard the commentary of Dusty, Heenan, Schiavone and Tenay on cruiserweight matches circa 96 knows that it must have been like being a nursery teacher for the main commentator - the old heads critical/mocking of Tenay everytime he tried to call moves by their proper names - the actual reason he was called in for the cruiserweight matches! - while Tony tried to mediate.

Stan Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

You've got a partner Stan, I've always liked Schiavone, I'm not the biggest fan of his WCW work after 94 but I felt that was because he lost interest due to the constant bickering in the booth

I thought he was brilliant pre WWF and during his run in the WWF

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:49 pm

Good points Stan... I liked Schiavone decent solid announcer, much better than Michael Cole

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next