The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best UK Fighter in each weight class?

+11
azania
huw
Scottrf
oxring
88Chris05
Union Cane
AlexHuckerby
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Fists of Fury
WelshDevilRob
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best UK Fighter in each weight class? - Page 2 Empty Best UK Fighter in each weight class?

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's my list.

Heavyweight - Lennox Lewis
Cruiserweight - David Haye
Light Heavyweight - Dennis Andries
Super Middleweight - Nigel Benn
Middleweight - Randolph Turpin
Jnr Middleweight - Maurice Hope
Welterweight - Lloyd Honeyghan
Jnr Welterweight - Jackie Kid Berg
Lightweight - Freddie Welsh
Jnr Lightweight - Jim Mcdonnell
Featherweight - Barry McGuigan/Jim Driscoll
Super Bantam - Duke McKenzie
Bantamweight - Duke Mckenzie
Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde

Who do you rate as the best in each weight?

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Best UK Fighter in each weight class? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best UK Fighter in each weight class?

Post by Rowley Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:You're just being silly now, in Jimmy Mclarnin you are talking about a guy the IBRO have as the 11th best welterweight ever, to wit in one of the original eight divisions there have only been 10 better fighters ever, and you are claiming he would only squeak past a domestic level fighter who got knocked into next week by Wayne Alexander. It's nonsense of the highest order, don't know if you are serious or trying to top your previous nonsense but whichever it is please stop it.

That's why I said "talent".

When?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Best UK Fighter in each weight class? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best UK Fighter in each weight class?

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:To*
No.
Yes. But for the one above that.
Leave it alone now, I just realised I was wrong...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
No.
No.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
No.
Leave it alone now, I just realised I was wrong...
No.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

*Noo.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:17 pm

Lads, back to the topic at hand. No-one likes pedantry.

azania wrote:Honey, Jones, Laing, Kell, Mittee, Driscoll.

Honeyghan has 1 fantastic win on his resume. After that, his championships has a good win over Blocker - but he was outboxed comprehensively by Starling and Breland. McClarnin was not outboxed by better men than Starling and Breland - in Leonard and Ross. Ergo - given that McClarnin outboxed both - I'll back him over Honey.

Colin Jones has a punchers chance - but could be outboxed as he repeatedly showed.

Laing went doolally all too frequently. Has a chance of producing a duran performance if McClarnin was particularly disinterested - but that's a big if. T'would be a brave man to pick someone who Jones put to sleep twice over a guy that outboxed Canzoneri, Ambers, Ross and Leonard.

Kell - you don't mean Kell Brook do you? The guy hasn't beat anyone yet?!?

Mittee??? He had a decentish dig - but I'm not picking someone who was comprehensively second best against Laing and Honeyghan - when I've picked McClarnin over both men already.

Driscoll - interesting, but no. Peerless Jim was one hell of a featherweight. Dominated Attell, essentially a world champ and had there not been a WWI, or in the age of antibiotics there'd be even more names on his resume. However, given he never weighed north of 130 - I would be being very brave to pick him at 147 over McClarnin.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:23 pm

oxring wrote: I would be being very brave to pick him at 147 over McClarnin.

Think the word you are actually looking for is stupid Oxy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

rowley wrote:
oxring wrote: I would be being very brave to pick him at 147 over McClarnin.

Think the word you are actually looking for is stupid Oxy.

Brave in the French cavalry at the Battle of Crecy brave. Brave but hopelessly wrong.

Last edited by oxring on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

Conteh above Andries, Chris Finnegan would be above Andries as well for me.
Ted Kid lewis by a country mile at Welter
Buchanan at Lightweight for me
Hamed just above McGuigan
Calzaghe at supermiddle

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 25 Nov 2011, 7:33 pm

Heavyweight- Lewis
Light Heavyweight- Conteh
Middleweight- Turpin
Welterweight- Ted Lewis
Light Welterweight- Jack Berg
Lightweight- Welsh
Featherweight- Driscoll
Bantamweight- Palmer
Flyweight- Wilde

The other divisions I really don't care about, light welterweight is barely included but has a long and rather interesting history so I thought i'd include.

McLarnin is for sure more talented than any of the the modern lot you picked, think the dross you talk has started to get boring and rather repetitive.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

rowley wrote:
azania wrote:
rowley wrote:You're just being silly now, in Jimmy Mclarnin you are talking about a guy the IBRO have as the 11th best welterweight ever, to wit in one of the original eight divisions there have only been 10 better fighters ever, and you are claiming he would only squeak past a domestic level fighter who got knocked into next week by Wayne Alexander. It's nonsense of the highest order, don't know if you are serious or trying to top your previous nonsense but whichever it is please stop it.

That's why I said "talent".

When?

Then

I'd go for Honeyghan. Special K will go far also. In terms of talent I can name at least half a dozen. Should I? Come on Oxy, you love it really.
Cool

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 Nov 2011, 7:56 pm

oxring wrote:Lads, back to the topic at hand. No-one likes pedantry.

azania wrote:Honey, Jones, Laing, Kell, Mittee, Driscoll.

Honeyghan has 1 fantastic win on his resume. After that, his championships has a good win over Blocker - but he was outboxed comprehensively by Starling and Breland. McClarnin was not outboxed by better men than Starling and Breland - in Leonard and Ross. Ergo - given that McClarnin outboxed both - I'll back him over Honey.

Colin Jones has a punchers chance - but could be outboxed as he repeatedly showed.

Laing went doolally all too frequently. Has a chance of producing a duran performance if McClarnin was particularly disinterested - but that's a big if. T'would be a brave man to pick someone who Jones put to sleep twice over a guy that outboxed Canzoneri, Ambers, Ross and Leonard.

Kell - you don't mean Kell Brook do you? The guy hasn't beat anyone yet?!?

Mittee??? He had a decentish dig - but I'm not picking someone who was comprehensively second best against Laing and Honeyghan - when I've picked McClarnin over both men already.

Driscoll - interesting, but no. Peerless Jim was one hell of a featherweight. Dominated Attell, essentially a world champ and had there not been a WWI, or in the age of antibiotics there'd be even more names on his resume. However, given he never weighed north of 130 - I would be being very brave to pick him at 147 over McClarnin.

I wont argue the toss. Dont know much about Mc so I'll give you that one. But rest assured that I'll be back to cast doubt on the supposed greatnes of old timers as only I can (Dempsey being the exception). Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

Very late to this, but couldn't let it go without adding my opinion.

Heavy- Lennox Lewis
Cruiser - Haye
Light-Heavy - Conteh
Super-Middle - Calzaghe (would change if Froch were to beat both Ward and Bute)
Middle - Turpin (Fitz if we are extending list to country of birth)
Light-Middle - Hope
Welter - Ted "Kid" Lewis (McLarnin must be damned close if land of birth is everything)
Light-Welter - Berg
Light - Buchanan/Welsh (dyed in the wool Ken fan, but can easily see the case for Freddie)
Super-feather - Boza-Edwards (European and WBC champ under a British licence, and fought regularly in the UK at one point, so much more a UK fighter than Fitz or McLarnin)
Feather - Driscoll
Super-bantam - Hamed
Bantam - Moran
Flyweight - Wilde

Super-flyweight and strawweight can safely be ignored, I reckon - I'm not ranking Paul Weir alongside the giants of the UK ring.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:14 pm

I take it as Rob has left them out in the O/P Fitz and McLarnin have been excluded. So heres mine.

Heavyweight- Lennox Lewis
Cruiserweight- Johnny Nelson
Light-Heavyweight- John Conteh
Super-Middleweight - Carl Froch
Middleweight - Randolph Turpin
Light-Middleweight- Maurice Hope
Welterweight- Ted "Kid" Lewis
Light-Welterweight - Jack "Kid" Berg
Lightweight- Ken Buchanan
Super-featherweight - Jim McDonnell
Featherweight - Jim Driscoll
Super-bantamweight - Prince Naseem Hamed
Bantamweight - Matt Moran
Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde

I can't think of a Superflyweight worth mentioning and as for light fly and minimumweight you can't put Paul Weirs name alongside these guys.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2