The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane

+9
Mad for Chelsea
msp83
chewed_mintie
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
kiakahaaotearoa
Demon Racer
skyeman
Fists of Fury
Pal Joey
13 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane - Page 4 Empty Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane

Post by Pal Joey Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 am

First topic message reminder :

December 1-5, 2011 at Woolloongabba Ground, Brisbane

Start time: 1000 (0000 GMT, 1100 EDT)

So it's all about to start here tomorrow morning with Australia still favourites; despite the fact that there will be at least 3 debutants and New Zealand believing they have a very good chance of winning in Australia for the first time in 26 years. Either way it should be an entertaining match given Australia's series levelling performance in Johannesburg and New Zealand's slightly more settled line-up since their recent tour to Zimbabwe.

Pitch & Conditions:
There's always plenty of seam and bounce at the Gabba, and captains can be tempted to send the opposition in. The forecast is for thunder and rain on the opening day, while showers could also fall on the final two days.

Australia:
1 David Warner, 2 Phillip Hughes, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Brad Haddin (wk),
8 Peter Siddle, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Mitchell Starc

New Zealand:
1 Martin Guptill, 2 Brendon McCullum, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor (capt), 5 Jesse Ryder, 6 Dean Brownlie, 7 Daniel Vettori,
8 Reece Young (wk), 9 Doug Bracewell, 10 Tim Southee, 11 Chris Martin

Last edited by Linebreaker on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : team update)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 am

Things not going NZ's way at the moment.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia v New Zealand: First Test, Brisbane

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:32 am

Similar to the Amla one at Newlands in the 2nd innings. Probably going over but hawkeye showed about half the ball clipping the top of the stump/bail.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:33 am

Two big moments in the game, both Clarke and Ponting having a charmed life.Can they make it count?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:36 am

Linebreaker wrote:Similar to the Amla one at Newlands in the 2nd innings. Probably going over but hawkeye showed about half the ball clipping the top of the stump/bail.

Yep remember that one.

Ponting looking good today, I would like to see him get a cantury tomorrow, would mean so much too him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 am

Off for bad light. Looks fine to me Crying or Very sad

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 am

Would be nice if they could make it count...

What about Tubby and Heals - differing viewpoints. I actually agree with Healy on that one. Good point about using the option to check for no balls (in the past most umpires would have been too scared to call something like that probably) but to bring the infamous Pakistani 'no-balls' into the equation... Laugh a funny way to justify an argument!

Going off for light now... what a shame. 8.8? Yesterday they went off at 9.2. I remember in England it was around 6 or something?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 am

Crazy, it is very light off to the right and slow bowlers were on. furious

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 am

Linebreaker wrote:Would be nice if they could make it count...

What about Tubby and Heals - differing viewpoints. I actually agree with Healy on that one. Good point about using the option to check for no balls (in the past most umpires would have been too scared to call something like that probably) but to bring the infamous Pakistani 'no-balls' into the equation... Laugh a funny way to justify an argument!

Going off for light now... what a shame. 8.8? Yesterday they went off at 9.2. I remember in England it was around 6 or something?

Healy for me too. These light meters should be shoved right up the ICC's furious

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:47 am

Yeah, so about 50 minutes of play lost.

With Qld not having daylight saving - they should start play at 8:30am tomorrow (or 22:30 your time). But I bet you it's 9:30am again...

The sun rises at about 04:45am with first light at 04:18... so why not?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 am

Made me laugh,

"I find it outrageous that the commentators are sitting on the fence on this one, and not blaming Indian cricket for the players going off for bad light."

Tony Greig is not on air.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 am

Linebreaker wrote:Yeah, so about 50 minutes of play lost.

With Qld not having daylight saving - they should start play at 8:30am tomorrow (or 22:30 your time). But I bet you it's 9:30am again...

The sun rises at about 04:45am with first light at 04:18... so why not?

Always baffled me that, they just will not do it. Definitely be 09.30.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 am

Oh well, time for a bacon roll and tea Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:00 am

The irony is that when Pakistan were here for that series in a couple of years ago and we lost time due to rain - they did start play at the SCG at 09:30am one morning - which is 08:30 in Brisbane.

As you know, the further south you go... the longer the day is as you approach mid-summer. Tassie gets twilight (like NZ) and they also start their matches early at 09:30... or sometimes earlier?

Enjoy your bacon roll - sounds tasty. Might do the same myself! Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 am

Just looked out of the window and we have had a wee bit of snow, first time this winter Yahoo

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 am

Are you off the west coast of Scotland? Sounds very nice. It must be quite fresh outside?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:03 am

Linebreaker wrote:The irony is that when Pakistan were here for that series in a couple of years ago and we lost time due to rain - they did start play at the SCG at 09:30am one morning - which is 08:30 in Brisbane.

As you know, the further south you go... the longer the day is as you approach mid-summer. Tassie gets twilight (like NZ) and they also start their matches early at 09:30... or sometimes earlier?

Enjoy your bacon roll - sounds tasty. Might do the same myself! Very Happy

You too. If no further play, have a good day sport Smile

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:04 am

[quote="Linebreaker"]Are you off the west coast of Scotland? Sounds very nice. It must be quite fresh outside?[/quot

-0.8 through the night, aye it is a beautiful part of the world.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:05 am

Cheers skyeman... you too! thumbsup

So Oz are 154/3 with Punter on 67, Clarke 28.

NZ made 295 and lead Australia by 141 runs at the close of Day 2.
Vettori 96
Brownlie 77 n.o.

Lyon 4/69

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks for the summary, linebreaker.

Seems nicely poised. Go on Punter!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:21 am

sorry lads still wasnt feeling 100% and fell alseep just before lunch. Will try to be up tonight, but cant promise anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:40 am

cricketfan90 wrote:sorry lads still wasnt feeling 100% and fell alseep just before lunch. Will try to be up tonight, but cant promise anything.

No worries, only woke up myself just before tea, missed the early fireworks from Vettori.

Ponting looking very good, i expect him to get a century tomorrow, and i want to see his/crowd reaction if he does.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 am

i do rate lyon he is boowling well, however i feel that aussies need a mysteyry spinner.....a leggie,........Smith,Mcgain(harshly treated)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 am

Well typical display from the Kiwis. Promised so much more but in the end failed to deliver.

Apparently quite a lot of technology being used in this test. Too many no balls from Bracewell. Clarke would´ve been a huge dismissal.

If Australia can get a large lead then they will probably end up winning. This wicket seems to be playing better so it´ll be difficult to see a situation where NZ can apply some pressure on the Aussie batsman in the second innings. Lost opportunity there though certainly not all doom for NZ.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am

Kia, in these situations I’m usually finding myself wanting to believe before the ultimate letdown occurs time and time again.

However, I’ll put myself through that once more. If we can get early wickets it will be game on. I will back Taylor and Ryder to come good second time around (as with the rest of the batters) and we’ll put up a good target for Australia with Southee to come to the party and give us a chance of victory.

That’s how it pans out it my dreams. Reality gives me a kick everytime NZ play cricket sadly

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 am

Well you can´t have everything. We won the World Cup finally. Our cricket players are just evening things up in the cosmos. Someone has to take up the slack the ABs leave. We were counting on the All Whites to lose all their games at the World Cup last year so looks like it´s fallen to the Black Caps to take the punches.

I should be more positive but familiarity breeds contempt. I did see us beat SA in the ODI World Cup this year and frankly that was a great match to watch. I wisely didn´t see the next match though. (Work commitments prevented me from going. I like you, invariably come round to fantasy and believe only for my hopes to be cruelly dashed. But one day we´ll win over there again. Of that much I´m certain. Just don´t ask me to narrow it down to less than 50 years.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 am

t20 hasnt helped NZ'S batting....you look at the top 6

mccullum
Guptil
Taylor
Ryder
Willamson
Brownlie

mcullum, taylor,ryder, all got out in a ridiclous manner, and them 3 never give themselves time to settle in test cricket, (the influence of t20)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:17 pm

NZ need some early wickets tomorrow. Hopes the Fantom gets in among the wickets early tomorrow. These days, I follow NZ tests matches more closely, all because of the legend!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Lovely sunny day in Brisbane. Ponting looking a bit nervy.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Clarke beautifully times a drive for four past mid-off.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Ponting cracks a drive for four, onto 78.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Oh my Ponting out lbw

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Review????????????

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Umps call, Ponting gone for 78. Lbw bMartin Aus 177-4.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh well, still a good knock. Do you think that was a waste of a referral?... it's as if Clarke has to go with whatever Ricky wants. Close, but correct original decision.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:15 pm

It probably was. More in hope than anything, because a century would have been a big moment for Ponting after all his recent trials and tribulations.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Apart from his no-ball dismissal yesterday, Clarke is looking superb. Very good timing this morning.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah, 'they' used up a few in SA too... in pursuit of that elusive 100 for Ricky. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:24 pm

commentators seem to be saying Ponting was walking off and it was Clarke who talked him into the review. Don't think it was a huge waste myself, guy's on 78, set, it was a marginal call, why not?

Clarke looking good, Aus tail looks longer than usual though.

Drinks.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Mitch Johnsons BATTING will be missed Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Clarke creams a four through extra cover, classy.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Bad ball from Southee down the legside and Hussey glances fine for four.
NZ badly needing another wicket.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Bracewell coming on, needs to bowl better than yesterday. Nearly gets Clarke first ball!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Bracewell replacing Southee, his opening ten overs yesterday went for 5 an over. Got to be tighter today.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:07 pm

Clarke straight drives Bracewell for a well timed four. But under a diving fielder.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Two balls later Clarke cracks another boundary through midwicket.
Bracewell leaking runs again.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 pm

The 50 partnership comes up between Clarke and Hussey. NZ need an inspirational moment from someone because the bowling is looking a tad ineffectual.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Clarke edges through slip and gully to the boundary. Bracewell still leaking runs.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Clarke, another four going in the air just pass the long-on fielder. Clark onto 85.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Clarke with an inside edge dropped by the keeper. Big miss.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 pm

But the first ball of the next over Hussey gone cRyder bVettori 15
Big big wicket.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next