The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over the top try celebrations.

+30
EnglishReign
Gatts
wayne
Cymroglan
majesticimperialman
flankertye
Breadvan
OzT
damage_13
westisbest
Knowsit17
munkian
Irish Curry
robbo277
welshy824
CurlyOsp
gowales
Comfort
Pot Noodle Miner
beshocked
SubsBench
eirebilly
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
Effervescing Elephant
Metal Tiger
RuggerRadge2611
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
HERSH
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Over the top try celebrations, Love them or hate them?

Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 12 ]
Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Vote_lcap73%Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 32 ]

Total Votes : 44

Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Empty Over the top try celebrations.

Post by HERSH Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 12:44

First topic message reminder :

I can't stand them and the Shane Williams one at the weekend was so over the top it was a disgraceful way for a great player to finish his international playing career.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Empty Re: Over the top try celebrations.

Post by HERSH Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 9:19

munkian wrote:This is an obvious WUM by Hersh he really cant let a Welsh great have one last moment of glory without being bitter

How is this a wum when 73% agree with me?

It was a stupide thing to do and seeing as Wales had already lost showed that Shane was their for his own glory and not the teams. censored They might as well have given Martyn Williams his 100th cap.

It was a sad exit for Mr Williams. Sad
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Over the top try celebrations. - Page 2 Empty Re: Over the top try celebrations.

Post by maestegmafia Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 9:31

Hersh Words do not even describe how pathetic I value your posts.

For someone who claims to have played top class professional in Wales and England you are more full of BS about rugby than any other poster.

What is the point of posting opinions like the one above? About a player who has achieved so much and gives so much back too.

Do you think anyone wants to hear that kind of opinion in this circumstance?

Please consider what you write and how you portray yourself.

At the moment 90% of posters on here have you on their ignore setting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 9:36

And what about Ben Youngs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqF9Wig3sVw

I think most people agree that crosses the line into disrespectful

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 9:40

HERSH wrote:
munkian wrote:This is an obvious WUM by Hersh he really cant let a Welsh great have one last moment of glory without being bitter

How is this a wum when 73% agree with me?

It was a stupide thing to do and seeing as Wales had already lost showed that Shane was their for his own glory and not the teams. censored They might as well have given Martyn Williams his 100th cap.

It was a sad exit for Mr Williams. Sad

Becauser this post it just a thinly veiled attempt to have yet another pop at Welsh rugby and put a dampener on the end of a career of a world class rugby player who is lauded the world over.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 10:38

That’s your opinion which you are entitled to, this is mine it was a sad way for a great of the game to go out celebrating a meaningless try in the manner in which he did as the game was already lost, if Wales ever want to win the RWC then losing at home to an up and down Aussie team isn't good enough.

As for 90% of 606ers having me on their ignore list that’s up to them, but this is a discussion board after all and there is a chance that there may be 2, 3, 4 sides of the story, imagine how boring it would be if everyone agreed with each other.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 10:41

maestegmafia wrote:Hersh Words do not even describe how pathetic I value your posts.

For someone who claims to have played top class professional in Wales and England you are more full of BS about rugby than any other poster.

What is the point of posting opinions like the one above? About a player who has achieved so much and gives so much back too.

Do you think anyone wants to hear that kind of opinion in this circumstance?

Please consider what you write and how you portray yourself.

At the moment 90% of posters on here have you on their ignore setting.
How would you know that? I think you're getting muddled up with you having 90% of the 606v2 posters on ignore as anyone and everything annoys you. Just saying. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 10:42

I enjoy it when its a good try and the players revel in the joy at taking a chance or breaking down a defence.

But sometimes it makes players look like self inflated knobs, particularly if its not a 'earned' try the player or team hasn't had to work for much.

It also depends on the opposition, sometimes it can be disrespectful and sometimes intentional.

I do however like it that in rugby players congratulate each other then trot back to the half way line, and don't waste further time doing mindless routines with their mates

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 10:51

IronMike wrote:And what about Ben Youngs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqF9Wig3sVw

I think most people agree that crosses the line into disrespectful

I'd forgotten what a great try that was from Ben Youngs.

Haven't seen anyone agreeing with you on this, the celebration was a tad cheeky but hey ho. Adds a bit of spice.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 11:47

Think it may be too near soccer style I think maybe that was why?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 18:54

I don't see anything wrong with swan dives. I doubt any player doing a swan dive is thinking he's better than a chasing defender or I'll disrespecting him by flying through the air. I mean come on! If you've just run in from 40yds for a game winner then why not? Crowds love it. Its not as if the player dissappears down the tunnel, comes back on a segway with a banner proclaiming ' Everybody sucks but me'

Very Happy

Last edited by Breadvan on Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad grammer!)
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:05

Ballotelli doesn't celebrate his goals as he believes as a striker, its his job to score. Its what he does.
Should wingers have the same view?
To be honest, I don't think any of us would care if a prop celebrated a try!

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:23

Doing a swan dive is fine proving the try is scored.

I remember watching i think it was Lquisamon doing a swan dive, and he lost the ball over the line. (the ball fell straight out of his hands.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:31

Celebrate in the bar afterwards but only if your side has won.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:33

gowales wrote:Welsh rugby needs money and game like these help creates it. Without them the regions would go bust.
The regions hardly make any money by themselves so most of it comes from the WRU. Ever wondered why the regions haven't complained about it.

What a load of rubbish, go take a look at the WRU accounts and you will find that the only money the WRU gives to the Regions is the TV money that they recieve from BBC, S4C and the Scottish and Irish TV companies for televising (sp) the Rabodirect games. NOT INTERNATIONAL GAMES. Plus a small amount for the Acadamies that they have only just started paying.
NOT ONE PENNY FROM SATURDAYS GAME WILL FIND ITSELF IN THE REGIONS COFFERS.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:34

And how is anyone bar the WRU going to take a look at the WRU accounts?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 19:48

Morgannwg wrote:And how is anyone bar the WRU going to take a look at the WRU accounts?
By paying £1 at Companies House.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 20:44

HERSH wrote:I can't stand them and the Shane Williams one at the weekend was so over the top it was a disgraceful way for a great player to finish his international playing career.

How did you finish yours? buy an extra set of raffle tickets?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 20:48

Gatts wrote:
HERSH wrote:I can't stand them and the Shane Williams one at the weekend was so over the top it was a disgraceful way for a great player to finish his international playing career.

How did you finish yours? buy an extra set of raffle tickets?

Buying a pink cowboy hat as opposed to the traditional rugby cap wasn't it?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 21:36

Some of you take the game way too seriously. As if players get offended.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 21:38

Its just a chance for Hersh to WUM, he'd be the first to defend Ash Downs, fact is for him this sort of WUM post is like scoring a try and the closest he'll ever get no doubt

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 23:16

Swan dives don't hurt anyone (except the player if he executes it poorly). I have no problem with any player scoring a try expressing his joy at doing just that.

One player does not have more right than any other to celebrate in this way, regardless of what he has achieved. Either any "acrobatic pre-celebration" is okay, or it isn't. Saying it's okay for one player and not another suggests to me you might have a pre-disposition to not like the player you are condemning.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 23:44

The commentators loved it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6y1zEuxqo&feature=autoplay&list=PL5DAD29445E9C6861&lf=results_main&playnext=2

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 0:08

A handshake should be all there is to a celebration of a try. Max. I like the style of the ABs in the 60s. No smiles, fun, hugging or kissing. Keep that for the showers.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 8:52

Gatts wrote:Its just a chance for Hersh to WUM, he'd be the first to defend Ash Downs, fact is for him this sort of WUM post is like scoring a try and the closest he'll ever get no doubt

Gatts this isn't a wum Broken Record

74% agree with me.

As for scoring tries, I got a handful during my playing career and I remember only celebrated the one as it was the first touch of the ball I got for my new club, but the one thing I’d never do was celebrate a try when my team had already lost the game and certainly when I had little impact in the game like Shane did at the weekend, last game or not it wasn't the right thing to do, maybe he should have attempted the conversion too just like Matfield did for the Baa baas. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:48

down to 72% (shocker)

but it looks like I've proven my point, Shane was wrong to act the way he did thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 15:06

eh... I voted against over the top try celebrations in general, not

over the top try celebrations

Love Shane?

Hate Shane?

you arse Whistle

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 22:18

[quote="HERSH"]down to 72% (shocker)

but it looks like I've proven my point, Shane was wrong to act the way he did thumbsup [/quote]

Eh... isn't that 75% agreeing with most OTT celebrations, alot of people who don't like them didn't mind what Shane did at the weekend. (Including myself) Your logic is somewhat flawed it would seem.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 9:11

Hersh, perhaps you should do a new post and rename the option. "Was Shane Williams's try celebration over the top yes or no". Then you will have a more accurate reading of what you are trying to achieve, which is, to belittle anything that is Welsh.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 16:25

maestegmafia wrote:I heard a story about this down a local club a while ago where the coach had told off his under 13s team for celebrating a try in a premiership football style manner.

When playing their next game the try scorer scored his try and duly walked back to the half way line without celebration. At Half time one of the opposition kids asked to him as to why he didn't celebrate the try, he told the lad that the coach wouldn't let them because they didn't do it in the old days when Scott Gibbs and all those old guys played.

I thought that was amusingly worth sharing.

+1

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2