The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart

+13
aucklandlaurie
Mike Selig
Beer
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
msp83
Stellar Key
Mad for Chelsea
skyeman
Demon Racer
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Fists of Fury
Stella
Pal Joey
17 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart - Page 3 Empty Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart

Post by Pal Joey Thu 08 Dec 2011, 6:00 am

First topic message reminder :

Australia v New Zealand, 2nd Test
December 9-13, Bellerive Oval, Hobart
Start time: 10:30 local - 23:30 GMT - 07:30 WST

The Second Test in Hobart affords the visitors a climate and playing surface more familiar to their batsmen, whilst Australia will be looking to better their two match winning streak with an unchanged side that performed well in Brisbane last week.

New Zealand have decided to stick with the same XI too and will be hoping for better performances all round and a vast improvement on their mental approach to this match.

Australia:
1 David Warner, 2 Phillip Hughes, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey,
7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Peter Siddle, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Mitchell Starc, 11 Nathan Lyon.

New Zealand:
1 Martin Guptill, 2 Brendon McCullum, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor (capt), 5 Jesse Ryder, 6 Dean Brownlie,
7 Reece Young (wk), 8 Doug Bracewell, 9 Tim Southee, 10 Trent Boult, 11 Chris Martin.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart - Page 3 Empty Re: Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Dec 2011, 8:41 am

NZ bowlers have to be absolutely focused tomorrow, the first session will be crucial, 2 or 3 wickets, NZ will have a fighting chance, Anything less, Australia should have a platform to run away with the match.
Must say the 2 NZ bowlers The Fantom and the debut man looked impressive, and Martin had the chance to find Phil Hughes's edge to be taken at slip.
Big day for David Warner, if he gets a good score alongside Khawaja, the Ponting question will be back again, as Marsh and Watson are set to return for the India series.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart - Page 3 Empty Re: Australia v New Zealand: Second Test, Hobart

Post by Pal Joey Fri 09 Dec 2011, 8:50 am

Mitch may miss the WI tour in April, msp. That's what I heard today on the news.

They are laying into Hughes here on the sports channel this evening - "that's it" for him is the word. Like you say the pressure will be on Punter but I think he'll play against India.

Sorry for the Phantom too... but Pattinson bowled a real corker which would have been hard for most tail enders to keep out.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:10 am

To be fair to Hughes (and I notice that I predicted his dismissal accurately Whistle) he got a good ball and nicked it. As an opener on this kind of strip tht can happen (though he did play with a slightly open face).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

Yeah, he just looked more nervous than usual after that streaky shot just before which went for 4.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

Linebreaker wrote:Mitch may miss the WI tour in April, msp. That's what I heard today on the news.

They are laying into Hughes here on the sports channel this evening - "that's it" for him is the word. Like you say the pressure will be on Punter but I think he'll play against India.

Sorry for the Phantom too... but Pattinson bowled a real corker which would have been hard for most tail enders to keep out.
If Australia do not bat well in the first innings, Hughes will have another opportunity. But I doubt that will save him for the India series, particularly if Warner or even Khawaja get a good score.
I also think Ponting will defenitly start the India series. But if he fails in this match, and Warner and Khawaja scores well, the pressure will be right back on the man.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:To be fair to Hughes (and I notice that I predicted his dismissal accurately Whistle) he got a good ball and nicked it. As an opener on this kind of strip tht can happen (though he did play with a slightly open face).

This is the thing isnt it. Openers are most vulnerable to that kind of ball. Hughes biggest weakness is constantly getting caught behind.
Has anyone ever considered him down the order?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:36 pm

Some serious changes need to be made to the NZ batting line up. 150 all out is pretty poor on that pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

How is Hughes even in the team?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:45 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:To be fair to Hughes (and I notice that I predicted his dismissal accurately Whistle) he got a good ball and nicked it. As an opener on this kind of strip tht can happen (though he did play with a slightly open face).

I think you are too kind. I have just watched it, it was a nothing ball. A good 8 inches at least outside off from a bowler (Chris Martin) who everyone knows basically moves the ball away from the left-handers. he could and should have left it comfortably. Added to that not only did he play it with an open face, but he pushed at it slightly. All in all it was a typical Phil Hughes dismissal and he will be very disappointed.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:12 pm

King Beer wrote:How is Hughes even in the team?

Because the next nearest things they have to openers are Watson (injured) March (injured) Warner (highest test score of 12) and they need at least two of them

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

Even if they drop Hughes, I believe he is still good enough to comeback again, age is on his side, and apparently is well liked in the team. Have to wait and see how Clarke speaks about him at the end of this match.

I would normally say he might get a ton in the 2nd innings, but Aus might only bat once.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:40 pm

skyeman wrote:Even if they drop Hughes, I believe he is still good enough to comeback again, age is on his side, and apparently is well liked in the team. Have to wait and see how Clarke speaks about him at the end of this match.

I would normally say he might get a ton in the 2nd innings, but Aus might only bat once.

I agree, but he does need to sort out his "nicking off" habits. Whether this means he needs a rest and time to work in the nets without the pressure of a game situation I'm not sure.

By the accounts of some people who knew people in the England set-up in '09 who spoke to their Ausie counterparts (that is, I am going very much on hearsay) he is a hard worker and a good team man.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

Trouble is hes already had one rest and been sent off to sort ouit his problems iwth the short pitched stuff.

There has to come a point with the guy where someone says how about we just employ him as the reserve batsman to have around?

It would be a lot easier if Warner was making more of his chance of course.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:01 pm

He may become a bit like Hick for England, who made more comebacks than Sinatra. Because when dropped became prolific again for club/county teams.

The Aus press are calling for his head, and although that should not matter to the selectors, Clarke being one of them, they normally get their way.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:23 pm

Its funny how a lot of arm chair cricket fans are calling for Hughes to be dropped/never selected again.

Yes Hughes has a technical fault around the off stump, but I feel his confidence has never recovered after he was jettisoned in the 2009 Ashes series.

He came into that series being the top scorer in Shield cricket. Bradman Young cricketer of the year and a dream debut Test series.

Yes his technique in 2009 was weak against short pitch bowling, but he never had an issue around the off stump.

Due to unnecessary criticism, Hughes' natural ability to score freely seems to have been suppressed.

Hughes shouldn't have had to technique destroyed by cricket Australia, as these changes they have made Hughes make, have left him a little confused.

So he couldn't play short pitch bowling, their are plenty of batsmen in the modern game with the same weakness.

These days, Hughes' confidence is soo shot, that his bread and butter shots get him out, which was unthinkable back in 2009.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

So what are you saying, he has a serious problem in his game, no confidence, and isnt getting runs. So because its "not his fault" he shouldnt be dropped?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So what are you saying, he has a serious problem in his game, no confidence, and isnt getting runs. So because its "not his fault" he shouldnt be dropped?
Clearly you can't read. I said that CA should shoulder the blame for destroying Hughes' technique and destroying his confidence

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:48 pm

He's still only young. John Dyson has just said that he will be around the squad for a while and given more time. Good news for most of the posters on here. Smile

Personally, I think we need to rest him again unless he does something really special in the 2nd innings and the Chairman's XI match in Canberra.
(btw, India have lost another bowler... Vinay Kumar in for Varun Aaron)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

Linebreaker wrote:He's still only young. John Dyson has just said that he will be around the squad for a while and given more time. Good news for most of the posters on here. Smile

Personally, I think we need to rest him again unless he does something really special in the 2nd innings and the Chairman's XI match in Canberra.
(btw, India have lost another bowler... Vinay Kumar in for Varun Aaron)
The thing about Hughes is his first class stats are better than any other opener. 17 tons and an average over 50. Only Warner averages more, but he's played like 10 games and boosted his stats against Zimbabwe A.

Hughes' dismissal showed that his confidence is shot to pieces and his mental state of mind is gone as well.

Vinay Kumar in the Test squad? Watson will be licking his lips!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm

two quick wickets for NZ this morning and they're right back in it. Ponting falls cheaply LBW and pretty much walked for that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:03 am

With Watson and Marsh set to return for the Boxing Day Test, Warner is the first man to waste his chance of staying in the side. Seems to be a straight fight before Hughes and Khawaja. Hughes, though woefully out of sorts, has 1000 Test runs and 3 hundreds. Khawaja, who looks out of depth, doesn't have the ability to even rotate strike. Pup might get his way and keep Hughes' Test career alive...for a little while longer.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:09 am

Another failure for Khawaja. Not a Test player by a long stretch. Will he get slaughtered like Hughes? Doubt it.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:16 am

I like Khawaja, but not for the first time he's got out to a ball which was decent, but nothing special. It seems to be a regular problem of his, in that I can't remember him getting out to poor shots like Hughes does, but often it's not great balls which dismiss him. On this pitch you need to make the bowlers work very hard for their wickets.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:26 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I like Khawaja, but not for the first time he's got out to a ball which was decent, but nothing special. It seems to be a regular problem of his, in that I can't remember him getting out to poor shots like Hughes does, but often it's not great balls which dismiss him. On this pitch you need to make the bowlers work very hard for their wickets.
Exactly Khawaja doesn't know where his off pole is.

I wouldn't say Hughes all ways gets out to 'poor shots', its just his style of batting often makes it look worst than it is.

On a side note, nice to see the Phantom Chris Martin causing mayhem on his 37th birthday!!!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:28 am

I didn't say Hughes always gets out to poor shots, but he does get out to poor shots occasionally. Melbourne in the last Ashes for instance (does the hard work, gets in on a tough pitch and just before drinks flashes straight to gully).

Khawaja got too stuck in defensive mode today. Clarke looks in fine form again (and I really hope this doesn't jinx him)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:36 am

I think one possibility that hasn't been discussed is that Punter could be retired off after this Test.

Then Marsh and Watson slot in at 3 and 4. Watson's workload would be more manageable in that scenario.

Therefore two of Hughes, Warner and Khawaja would open in the Boxing Day Test

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:39 am

1st Test wicket for Trent Boult! And its the mighty Mr Cricket! Australia reeling at 58-5

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:40 am

Dean Brownlie's 55 might be the difference between the two sides

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:50 am

Khawaja is the trott style of player for Australia, never gonna be a quick run scorer in test cricket. He must work on rotating the strike a bit more and not getting bogged down so much, because with pitches like this one it is only a matter of time before you get a ball with your name on it.
Even in Aus, SL, SA he has not rotated for singles enough, just his 6th Test though, so something for him to work on.

Not a brilliant start to Test cricket but not dire either.

I do think he will be replaced by Marsh though for the first Test against India, but not dropped from the squad.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:59 am

I think CA have indicated Punter will definitely play against India, but if that series is a personal faillure for him, then his retirement will be a serious issue.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:00 am

don't get why Punter is getting picked on again to be fair, he's made consecutive fifties, and Clarke aside that's a damn sight better than the rest of them have done recently...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:02 am

Demon Racer wrote:Dean Brownlie's 55 might be the difference between the two sides

Agreed. Looks like his 50 is now worth a ton on this pitch.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:05 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:don't get why Punter is getting picked on again to be fair, he's made consecutive fifties, and Clarke aside that's a damn sight better than the rest of them have done recently...

Totally agree, after the two fifties he was never going to be dropped for the Indian series. His experience will be badly needed.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:15 am

Juicy pitch yes, but not unplayable. They are making serious hard work of this, I can't believe that NZ will probably gain a first innings lead.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:17 am

Now that was a very bad misjudgement from Clarke of all people.

Aus in tatters 76-7.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:22 am

Aus have that consistency problem that England used to have for many years.
Reasons for that i don't know, mental, calibre of player, technique. Until that is sorted it will be a long journey back to No1.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:09 am

After a very good partnership of 56, Siddle goes, poking at one and edging to slip.
Siddle 36 cGuptil bBracewell.

Aus 131-8.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:11 am

Five balls later Pattinson gone too.

Pattinson 17 cWilliamson bBoult

Aus 131-9

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:23 am

After a review the final wicket has been taken.

The ump go gave a big shout for lbw no, but the review had it being a good shout.

Starc 4 lbw Boult.

Aus 136ao, and a slender lead to NZ of 14.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:40 am

I spent the morning in the garden listening to the radio... and the succession of wickets. I saw the Punter dismissal - what unusual behaviour from him. Sure it must have felt plumb lbw but I've never seen him walk like that before.

Proud of Siddle and Pattinson showing a lot more sense than our openers and senior players; otherwise it would have been another sub-100 score!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

good to see green on the pitch....too many pitches are flat and do nothing..this is a good test match pitch..and it is flattening out as NZ are only 3 wickets down in their 2nd innings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Demon Racer wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So what are you saying, he has a serious problem in his game, no confidence, and isnt getting runs. So because its "not his fault" he shouldnt be dropped?
Clearly you can't read. I said that CA should shoulder the blame for destroying Hughes' technique and destroying his confidence

Well are you saying he should or shouldnt be dropped then? You had a go at the "armchair fans" ( I assume youre watching on a stool?) for saying he should be dropped, so naturally I assumed you meant he shouldnt be. Your justification for that being that its not his fault that he has a problem and that his confidence has gone.
If you do believe he should be dropped why have a pop at people for saying he should be?
If you dont believe he should be dropped then your justification is that its not his fault so he doesnt deserve to be dropped, which is what I said, so why have a go at me saying I didnt read what you said?

Im reading what you said, it just seems your logic is a bit twisted and its not clear why you would have a go at people for crtisising his performances when you admit he has serious problems with his technique and temperament, where they came from is a side issue. If hes not performing and has issues he needs to work out if hes going to be a help rather than a hindrance to the side then he has them, and its not unreasonable for people to notice them.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:39 am

Phil Hughes has to go,. He isnt a test match batsman

he did well in his first series, but then so did mitch johnson and look what happened to him.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm

Good start for Aus, they get the early breakthrough they needed.

Williamson 34 cPonting bSiddle.

NZ 139-4

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:34 pm

clap Fifty for Taylor.

NZ 156-4

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:49 am

Taylor and Brownlie gone.

NZ Playing way too cautiously and paying the price.

NZ 180-6.

Pattinson looking likely to get his 3rd five-for.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:16 am

R.Young gone 9 lbwSiddle.

NZ 190-7.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:23 am

More like it, Southee whacks a strait 6 then a lofted 4 bringing up the 200.

NZ 203-7.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:25 am

oops, next ball Lyon gets his man caught at long-on. Southee 13 cHussey bLyon.

NZ 203-8.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:27 am

2 balls later, Bracewell gone for 4 bLyon.

NZ 203-9.

Martin in, innings might be over soon Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next