The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spoilers - please read

+16
Mind the windows Tino.
trottb
sodhat
Union Cane
oxring
Fists of Fury
JDandfries
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
AlexHuckerby
superflyweight
Rowley
Scottrf
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
Adam D
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spoilers - please read Empty Spoilers - please read

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 am

Hi guys,

Just a quick note about spoilers on the forum. I can see both sides of the story with regards to this issue but I think its important to lay some ground rules so that we dont have any silly fallings out in the future.

Most of the big fights these days take place in America which means that for the majority of us, it airs in the middle of the night.

No one is asking for anyone to not be able to talk about results - that would just be silly. However, some people are not able (or wanting) to stay up till 4 in the morning and prefer to watch it the next morning.

now I understand that the argument would be why would someone want to come on to a boxing forum if they dont want to know the result? Well, we are a multi sports forum and the latest topic of discussion from boxing is on the home page. So even if someone is intending to watch the fight and not enter the boxing section, they might get inadvertently spoiled.

Can I therefore ask that for American (or other odd houred) fights that we dont include the result in the thread title. For example, instead of "Khan Loses" put "Khan fight results (spoilers)" or somethig of that ilk.

It doesnt stifle discussion at all but just gives a little common courtesy to your fellow members.

As for how long we keep the spoilers out of thread titles, I would suggest as a benchmark of the lunch time the next day (ie in this case and most, Sunday 1pm).

This really isnt and shouldnt be a big problem and lets all work together to stick to these simple guidelines. We use these guidelines in other sections too for the record.

Thanks

A

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Spoilers - please read Empty Re: Spoilers - please read

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:32 am

I understand your point with regards to the latest thing being visible to all and think it's right we don't announce results straight away in the title of the thread. That doesn't mean it's not rude for someone to come onto a forum the day after a fight not wanting to know or discuss the result.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 am

Adam D wrote:It doesnt stifle discussion at all but just gives a little common courtesy to your fellow members.

No problem with your take on the subject, but I would just add that while common courtesy is vital, so is common sense. Regardless of v2 showing the most recently discussed topic for each section on it's main page, the idea of logging on to a sports forum on which boxing is the second most talked about sport if you have no desire to know the result of a big fight from a few hours ago just seems a bit daft to me. Even more daft when people then click on the boxing section, click on the relevant topic and then have the nerve to complain about it.

Still, as I said, I reckon your idea / solution is a good one. Just feel it could have been avoided had a few more people chose to use their brains.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:I understand your point with regards to the latest thing being visible to all and think it's right we don't announce results straight away in the title of the thread. That doesn't mean it's not rude for someone to come onto a forum the day after a fight not wanting to know or discuss the result.
Why? You might come on wanting to talk about a previous discussion you were having, or one of the other fights you watched. Last week I wanted to discuss Cotto-Margarito but hadn't yet seen the Bantamweight fights.

No harm in spoilering the title.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:50 am

Scottrf wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:I understand your point with regards to the latest thing being visible to all and think it's right we don't announce results straight away in the title of the thread. That doesn't mean it's not rude for someone to come onto a forum the day after a fight not wanting to know or discuss the result.
Why? You might come on wanting to talk about a previous discussion you were having, or one of the other fights you watched. Last week I wanted to discuss Cotto-Margarito but hadn't yet seen the Bantamweight fights.

But what if someone watched the Bantam fights and didn't want to know the Cotto/Marg result. I've no problem with spoilers in the title of the thread.

Plus Scott your situation was a little different as you were already on the forum discussing other fight that were happening live, i didn't want to know the Mares result either.

We're talking about people coming on at 2pm the next day moaning about a fight that happenend hours ago. They seem to want to talk boxing but not recent stuff. People should be allowed to talk about fights that have already happened.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

But what if someone watched the Bantam fights and didn't want to know the Cotto/Marg result. I've no problem with spoilers in the title of the thread.
Not a problem, they would both be spoilered. I don't think it's rude to want to discuss some but avoid the result of others, and I think it's achievable.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 am

As I said, you could come on wanting to talk about the football or rugby, and see the spoiler on the home page of the forum.

As I said, it shouldnt stifle things and is a short time span anyway, so hopefully it wont lead to any big issues.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 am

Scottrf wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Not a problem, they would both be spoilered. I don't think it's rude to want to discuss some but avoid the result of others, and I think it's achievable.

I think it is because the fight has already happened but just because they haven't seen it nobody else is allowed to talk about it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:I think it is because the fight has already happened but just because they haven't seen it nobody else is allowed to talk about it.
Nothing to do with not being allowed to talk about it, it's just the title of the thread.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 pm

My views are with Chris', whilst I have no issues with the solution you are suggesting as it does not really inconvenience anyone I do feel if you are trying to avoid the result of a fight logging on to a sports forum before you have watched the fight is one of the more singularly stupid things you could do.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Did Khan lose? Thanks for spoiling that, Adam!!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Scottrf wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:I think it is because the fight has already happened but just because they haven't seen it nobody else is allowed to talk about it.
Nothing to do with not being allowed to talk about it, it's just the title of the thread.

I've no problem with that, just the people who still insist on reading it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:03 pm

To be hoenst I asked about this a month or so ago and it has consistenly happened every week without fail when there is a big fight on, lovely_london (the blatant WUM) Is mainly responsible for it and does it almost every week without fail.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be hoenst I asked about this a month or so ago and it has consistenly happened every week without fail when there is a big fight on, lovely_london (the blatant WUM) Is mainly responsible for it and does it almost every week without fail.

Then he will get his comeuppance from the UCPL Championship winner very shortly

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Damn I still can't believe you won the Championship, it's a tad embarrassing really...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 pm

No offence, but if you don't want to know the result don't login to the forum. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out... no wait, judging by some here the whole 'not logging on' approach to not finding out the result may be a step too far for them to compute!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:20 pm

coxy0001 wrote:No offence, but if you don't want to know the result don't login to the forum. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out... no wait, judging by some here the whole 'not logging on' approach to not finding out the result may be a step too far for them to compute!
I think that you are the one who doesnt get it - its not about logging on to the boxing section.

By coming on to the sports homepage, you might see the result. Some people might be coming on to talk about other sports before sitting down to watch the fight later.

For the sake of common courtesy, is it really too much to ask?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Adam D wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:No offence, but if you don't want to know the result don't login to the forum. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out... no wait, judging by some here the whole 'not logging on' approach to not finding out the result may be a step too far for them to compute!
I think that you are the one who doesnt get it - its not about logging on to the boxing section.

By coming on to the sports homepage, you might see the result. Some people might be coming on to talk about other sports before sitting down to watch the fight later.

If i didn't want to know the result i wouldn't go onto bbcsport.co.uk and hope not to see the result.

We're a sports forum and website, if you don't want to know a result you stay well away. A cricket thread could have a mention "oh did you see Khan lost last night on it" etc. You can't come onto a sports website and expect to see zero reference, much like you wouldn't go onto bbcsport looking for the kickoff times for Heineken cup games and stumble across the result by accident etc.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Adam D wrote:

If i didn't want to know the result i wouldn't go onto bbcsport.co.uk and hope not to see the result.

We're a sports forum and website, if you don't want to know a result you stay well away. A cricket thread could have a mention "oh did you see Khan lost last night on it" etc. You can't come onto a sports website and expect to see zero reference, much like you wouldn't go onto bbcsport looking for the kickoff times for Heineken cup games and stumble across the result by accident etc.

Yes, but that's the difference between a general sports site and one which attempts to engender a sense of community.

We can all stick to established rules, regulations, etc., etc., but it's going out of our way to show a little extra consideration which helps to build that sense of community. ' Pleases ' and ' thank yous ' aren't required, but are surely appreciated in civilized societies. Does it really cost anything to word a thread in such manner as to not give away the result? Considering the efforts some go to to circumnavigate the swear filter, ( and no, I DON'T mean you, ) it seems a bit daft that we're having a big issue over whether or not we make a tiny effort to not prematurely give away the result of a fight.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Windy, i'm just saying you've got to be a bit of a halfwit to come on here if you didn't want to know the result of something and should we pander to halfwits?!

And i never try and dodge the **************** swear filter! Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:10 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Windy, i'm just saying you've got to be a bit of a halfwit to come on here if you didn't want to know the result of something and should we pander to halfwits?!

Totally agree, why pander to idiots, there is no need, if you are daft enough to come on to what is obviously a site that discusses sport, and not want to see the result, you deserve to have it thrown in your face.

I didnt want to know the result, so, using my brain, I decided it would be unwise for me to watch any news, or go on the internet, until I had watchedthe fight.

If you are going to make 'rules' just to cater for people's stupidity, you will have a rules list that is unmanagbly long!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:10 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Windy, i'm just saying you've got to be a bit of a halfwit to come on here if you didn't want to know the result of something and should we pander to halfwits?!

Can't argue with you on that one, coxy.

It's just that I'm a softy at heart - as you well know - and I reckon with a tiny bit of effort we can accommodate all needs.

Okay, the gong has sounded, so it's back to meditation, prayer and yoga for me, after which there is a blind monk who is itching to beat seven bells out of me.

Don't upset the elders when they've had a skinload of mead wine is the lesson for the day.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm

JDandfries wrote:

Totally agree, why pander to idiots, there is no need, if you are daft enough to come on to what is obviously a site that discusses sport, and not want to see the result, you deserve to have it thrown in your face.

I didnt want to know the result, so, using my brain, I decided it would be unwise for me to watch any news, or go on the internet, until I had watchedthe fight.

If you are going to make 'rules' just to cater for people's stupidity, you will have a rules list that is unmanagbly long!

JD, there is no rule about it, it is a request for common courtesy. It is all very well saying people are daft for coming on here, but that may happen for any given reason and as such it doesn't exactly cost us anything to put spoiler in the title. After all, it is the content of an article that matters, not the title.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Not sure how it's daft seeing as spoilers in titles have been common courtesy on here for a while.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Th OP suggests that it is now a ground rule?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 pm

JDandfries wrote:Th OP suggests that it is now a ground rule?

This is forum policy as it has been on other sections for some time.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:27 pm

This is common netiquette - and we will edit post titles to ensure they contain Spoilers.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 pm

It is a request for common courtesy, something which everyone should possess. As I said above, the title of a thread means nothing, it is the content that matters, therefore putting spoiler in a title is hardly to the detriment of the posts inside, is it?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:45 pm

What if someone's come out of a coma and wants to watch Marciano vs Moore on youtube!?

Haven't thought about that one, have you..

Perhaps we should 'spoiler' every title in case of such an eventuality? It's only fair

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Now you're talking dross.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:48 pm

coxy0001 wrote:What if someone's come out of a coma and wants to watch Marciano vs Moore on youtube!?

Haven't thought about that one, have you..

Perhaps we should 'spoiler' every title in case of such an eventuality? It's only fair

Sure, I know what you mean, coxy.

For example, I still haven't heard the result of the Battle of Hastings yet. All I know is that Billy Norman was ahead on points and Harold had his eye cut.

Please don't tell me who won.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:For example, I still haven't heard the result of the Battle of Hastings yet.

You were there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Whose side are you on?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm

I think we won that one Windy, elsewise we'd all be speaking French...

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Okay this is getting both tedious and repititive.

What started out as a simple request is no longer that. If certain posters can not be courteous to fellow posters (and most have like GG even though he disagreed) then you do not deserve the same courtesy either.

It is now a rule of the boxing section - anyone who purposedly puts up spoilers having read this thread, will receive a suitable punishment.

Sometimes, you are your own worse enemies.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

*worst

thumbsup
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Union Cane wrote:I think we won that one Windy, elsewise we'd all be speaking French...

Tu pense, Monsieur Union?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Union Cane wrote:I think we won that one Windy, elsewise we'd all be speaking French...

Au contraire, mon ami.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Can we move this thread to the little things that set coxy off section please?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Union Cane wrote:*worst

thumbsup

with attention to detail like that, i think I might make you an admin OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I agree Adam, I personally avoid logging on just in case there is a spoiler, and there may still be from uninformed or new members. However, there is no excuse for someone that has been made aware of the issue to do so, and it is very juvenile and unfair to do so.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:57 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

Damn your speedy fingers!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:02 pm

anyone who purposedly puts up spoilers

Can i put "Marciano slays Moore, reaction?"...? censored

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

No discutas más por favor.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

Next time I see you whingeing at someone for their inability to use the quote button - I'll remind you of this debate old boy.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

sodhat wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Damn your speedy fingers!

Ah, but you compensated for them with a better reply than mine, sodhat.

Honours even, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Some smartass amended my excellent joke.)

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Crikey, what a hoo-haa over such a simple issue, don't see why people are getting their knickers in such a twist.

Yes it's simple not to log on, but it's equally easy to write <SPOILER> in the thread title, jeez......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Thank you, tophat, a man with some sense.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:.

Apologies Tino, didn't realise that was a witticism. I'm slow as treacle today.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next